Singapore Expats

So ARE there any Full Time Working Moms out there?

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
barbaraus

So ARE there any Full Time Working Moms out there?

Post by barbaraus » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 8:22 am

I havent visited this site in several months and I was excited to see this subforum.. But when I clicked I don't see a single post.. Not sure if it is something wrong with my browser, or if there just arent any full time working expat moms out there?

Is there anybody out there? :-)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:13 pm

Nah, it just a new subforum that we created about a week or two ago. Congratulations on being the initial poster here! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

barbaraus

Post by barbaraus » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 8:21 pm

OK, well I'll wait patiently.. I'm sure somebody will show up eventually.. :-)

Its proobaly just as well since I can't think of any topics to discuss.. Being fulltime working mom in Singaapore isn't much different than anywhere else..

UnexpectedAdventurer

Post by UnexpectedAdventurer » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:20 pm

I was also disappointed to see the empty forum.
I haven't got anything to discuss either... working in Singapore is easy. It's the making friends I'm having trouble with.

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Post by smayrhofer » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 2:35 pm

I'm working too - I have a 14 month old. Not having any major problems at the moment.

Though I am trying to find a soccertots-equivalent in the east, and I'm looking for a music class in the east for my son. Anyone have any ideas?

Lovelymommy

Post by Lovelymommy » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 3:55 pm

Hello!!!
I'm also full time working mom-to-be.
I'm glad that there are people posting on this sub-forum.

Can you share your experiences as being career woman and mom...

cheers!

aileeninsg

Post by aileeninsg » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 4:23 pm

Hi all! I was also quite surprised to see how few postings there are here! Hopefully we'll be able to grow this forum.

I have a 10-month-old daughter, and am working full-time -- on a venture I started a bit on the side before she was born and left my previous job to pursue full-time.

Despite having good help as I think many of us do to be able to work full-time, the key struggle for me is dealing with the constant guilt I feel of taking time away from my daughter in order to work. Particularly as she gets older, recognizing her parents, and developing so quickly every week, I'm more aware of some milestones I'm missing, and the need for me to be with her more...

I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this way, right? It's not easy! But I also feel fortunate to be able to continue working and professionally pursuing things that I believe in.

smayrhofer -- for music classes in the East, I think Kindermusik partners with some venues. You may want to check out their website, and maybe Parkway Parade may have something? I haven't looked into those, but I take my daughter to the Kindermusik classes at Tanglin Mall, and she loves it!

tb

Post by tb » Sun, 05 Sep 2010 11:33 pm

Hi there,
Another FTWM here. I have a 6yo and a 3yo. I agree with unexpected adverturer, the making friends bit is hard. Despite having zero time to cultivate friendships! Not many people can relate to being a FTWExpatM in SG! And if you do meet other FTWEM's, their existing friends and the ages of your kids can make things tricky.
I'll keep an eye on this thread now that I know it's here ;-)

bondbabies

About to become a FTWM Expat in Singapore

Post by bondbabies » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:29 pm

Hi there, we are about to relocate to Singapore and I will become a FTWM expat. A daunting prospect but hopefully do-able!

We have 3 children - a 9 and 6 year old at school and a 4 year old ready for kindergarten next year.

Can anyone suggest a good school with onsite kinder? Just thinking through the logistic of getting them to school and myself to work each day - is that do-able without a car or do we need a car?

Any suggestions on good districts to live and where you get reputable childcare/nanny/home help etc.

bondbabies

About to become a FTWM Expat in Singapore

Post by bondbabies » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 2:15 pm

Hi there, we are about to relocate to Singapore and I will become a FTWM expat. A daunting prospect but hopefully do-able!

We have 3 children - a 9 and 6 year old at school and a 4 year old ready for kindergarten next year.

Can anyone suggest a good school with onsite kinder? Just thinking through the logistic of getting them to school and myself to work each day - is that do-able without a car or do we need a car?

Any suggestions on good districts to live and where you get reputable childcare/nanny/home help etc.

tb

Post by tb » Thu, 16 Sep 2010 3:47 pm

Hi bondbabies,

It is definitely doable without a car, but that all depends where you live and work. We love having a car after our first 2 years without one. I hated feeling car sick from the crazy Taxi drivers!

I recommend living on the East Coast (Siglap or Tanjong Rhu areas are really nice) and good schools to check out are Eton House, Chatsworth and the Australian School. All International Schools offer mini-bus services that collect from and deliver the kids back to your condo. There is an Aunty on the bus that helps the little ones buckle up etc. You can also research BusPlus service to take you to work.

Take your time to find a good helper. The maid agencies can be hit and miss as their popularity depends on how generous their referral bonuses are at the time (I can ask my maid which one is flavour of the month if you PM me) I have had great service from Joy at 121 Personnel Service. But I also went to multiple agencies to ensure I had a good selection of helpers. We ended up with a Filipino (better English for the kids) who had worked for local families for 8 years before us and 4 years on we are all still very happy.

Regards
TB

casamac

Post by casamac » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 6:49 pm

I am a FT working mum to 2 based in London who is considering relocating to Singapore.

I have to say that this thread has really put me off! I sort of assumed it would be easy to make friends in Singapore with other expat families...

But it sounds like being a FT working mum is more of a sentence to social isolation than it is in London!

DO you all work long hours? Is working from home frowned upon?

casamac

Post by casamac » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 7:00 pm

I can see that this thread has had almost 1900 views which would suggest there are more full time working mums than suggested by number of replies... if there are full time working singapore mums I would urge them to post because it looks really terrible and off-putting to see this thread (and the lack of posts on the WOHMs "club" thread)...

Seriously!

twingle

Post by twingle » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Casamac

I have been in Singapore since April and have an 8 month old. I am not at FTWM yet but am starting a new job next week! I have been discussing working at home for a portion of the week with my Company and so far the response has been positive....we'll see if it actually works out that way when I start....will keep you posted!

Kster78

What do other FTWM do for childcare?

Post by Kster78 » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 4:13 pm

Ok, so I have spent several hours trying to shift through forums on the topic of childcare.

I am a new mum of a 6 month old baby; I have currently hired a maid/helper to look after my baby while I am at work but just don't feel comfortable about it. Partly guilt, jealousy and concerns over my child’s wealthfare and development. I am also feeling quite isolated especially working full time and not having friends with babies or children around.

I have looked at other childcare options such as;

Infant care centers – I have not found the right one and also I feel it may be too early for her to attend one.

In House Nanny - for the cost of hiring one, I would have hoped to come across a qualified person - ex teacher, nurse etc but instead I am being offered mothers looking for extra cash. Is this normal?

I just wonder if anyone can reassure me that there are other options or possible routes to consider.

I wouldn't mind sharing with another working mum a Nanny that is highly recommended and qualified. I really want my daughter to interact with other children and I think this might be the best option for me.

Would another mum opt for this? Just in case anyone is interested in such an arrangement I live at East Coast.

Thanks