Singapore Expats Forum

Christianity in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Secret Garden

Postby Secret Garden » Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:08 pm

Hi there,

Anyone here a christian or a believer? And do you have a church to go to or wants to attend a church?

Anyone here going for bible studies and fellowship sessions as well?

Regards

iamroot

Postby iamroot » Sat, 01 May 2004 8:37 pm

Hi. I'm a Christian and i go to Lighthouse Evangelism at Tampines.
Linux is GREAT!

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sun, 02 May 2004 4:28 pm

I am a Roman Catholic and go to 10 am mass most Sundays at St Joseph's in Bugis...

Kim

Postby Kim » Mon, 03 May 2004 10:26 pm

I am Catholic and there are 2 Catholic Churches within a mile of me. There are all denominations here.

AceThief

Church

Postby AceThief » Wed, 25 May 2005 11:14 am

Yo , hi there . I am a christian and i attend Lighthouse Woodlands every weekend. I am pretty involved in church stuff.. and Lighthouse is really a place where you can be blessed.. Do drop by and experience the blessings and touch of god .

dolby

Postby dolby » Wed, 25 May 2005 11:33 am

Hi, I arrived out in Singapore from England 3 weeks ago, and through a contact have been going to Katong Presbyterian Church in Joo Chiat Lane (fairly easy to get to from Eunos MRT on the East-West line). Lots of very friendly people there - been along to a Bible study group, get regularly invited out for lunch, etc. Plus the worship time in the meeting is great - and whether you're more conservative or more charismatic, people don't mind. Drop me a PM if you're interested in coming along.

What sort of church are you looking for? Where are you from?

~Dan
~Dan

hi

Postby Guest » Wed, 25 May 2005 12:45 pm

I'm Christian also. I go to Glad Tidings Church, a small yet warm church near Kovan. I go to their sunday service and youth fellowship. ^^

they have service in English, Mandarin, Indonesian, and also Tamil.

honey girl

Postby honey girl » Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:00 am

Hello friend,
Yes, I'm a Christian, too. Check out IBC at 81 King's Road. Over 1,000 people go there every week. They have great Bible studies, too, and lots of new day classes for women beginning Sept 4th. Night classes are also available, too. www.ibcs.org may be helpful. Congrats on making the decision to follow Jesus! Hope you're reading your Bible every day. I read it twice a year, plus.... If you don't, no power. Must plug into the Source, daily! :)

Postby Guest » Mon, 13 Jun 2005 1:52 pm

I go to Church of Our Saviour (COOS) near Queenstown MRT. Great place and people. :)

Rationalist

Looking for alternatives

Postby Rationalist » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:40 pm

I'm a Christian and have been to some churches here. I find them too conservative and evangelical.

Now I want to explore Buddhism .... I understand its a more liberal religion. Interested to see whether that will give me some room for rational thinking.

Any place you could recommend?

Strong Eagle

Re: Looking for alternatives

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:48 pm

Rationalist wrote:Now I want to explore Buddhism .... I understand its a more liberal religion.

A lot of people would tell you, and I would tend to agree, that Buddhism is not a religion. It is a way of living. It's not that you worship a particular diety, it's about trying to live a life in accordance with the principles of Buddha. Following the Buddha's teachings and holding them in reverance is not the same as praying to Jesus. Rather, if you could follow the teachings of Buddha, the enlightened one, you too, could reach a state of complete connection with the unmanifested... that which is all.

Hard to say whether Buddhist practice is "liberal". In the context of doctrinaire Christian churches who preach an us verus them philosophy, Buddhism is indeed "liberal" for it is inclusive of all things. OTOH, true practice is quite demanding... you might end up being a "closet" Buddhist like me... choosing those things that augment my western upbringing while ignoring those things that I can't see myself doing (like becoming a vegetarian). Of course, this keeps me from true enlightenment.

Rosh

Re: Looking for alternatives

Postby Rosh » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:02 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Rationalist wrote:Now I want to explore Buddhism .... I understand its a more liberal religion.

Hard to say whether Buddhist practice is "liberal". In the context of doctrinaire Christian churches who preach an us verus them philosophy, Buddhism is indeed "liberal" for it is inclusive of all things. OTOH, true practice is quite demanding... you might end up being a "closet" Buddhist like me... choosing those things that augment my western upbringing while ignoring those things that I can't see myself doing (like becoming a vegetarian). Of course, this keeps me from true enlightenment.

Buddhist are not required to become vegetarians but one of the five precepts in Buddhist is not to kill living beings. So you should not kill to eat, but, many Buddhists argue that eating what is already killed is not a sin. Yet, there are other Buddhists who say that by eating this you encourage others to kill on your behalf. So i would say that if you are really to practice true Buddhism you need to be a vegetarian.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:19 pm

One Buddhist said, "I eat carrots because they scream less than cows."

And so, yes, while not a requirement, I sense that one cannot achieve true enlightenment while eating animals. I guess I'm going to go around again.

Actually, I believe that the teachings of Jesus and Buddha are nearly identical... connection to all things in the here and now, solitary meditation or prayer to become connected with the one... if only his teachings hadn't been hijacked by an institution bent on exerting control we might have found practicing Christians doing the same thing as Buddhists... a way of life instead of a way of worship.

Postby Guest » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 5:44 pm

In fact, there are scientific reports that indicate eating too much meat will increase your chances of getting bowel cancer. Meat is not easily digested in our stomach as vegetable . Eating too much meat will mean that our stomach has to work harder inorder to digest them properly. You can imagine how the stomach is overworking when you eat meat during lunch & dinner daily. The stomach has to produce more acid to break down the meat we had taken! And this will have a dramatic effect on our health if view from a long term basis. The ancient chinese has a saying" Illness comes from the food(improper) you consume".

Postby Guest » Sun, 19 Jun 2005 1:01 am

Anonymous wrote:In fact, there are scientific reports that indicate eating too much meat will increase your chances of getting bowel cancer. Meat is not easily digested in our stomach as vegetable . Eating too much meat will mean that our stomach has to work harder inorder to digest them properly. You can imagine how the stomach is overworking when you eat meat during lunch & dinner daily. The stomach has to produce more acid to break down the meat we had taken! And this will have a dramatic effect on our health if view from a long term basis. The ancient chinese has a saying" Illness comes from the food(improper) you consume".

it's not "meat" as such, but lack of fibre that leads to bowel cancer. many vegetables are full of it. grains and cereals are a rich source.