Singapore Expats

$6K not enough, is it true?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
tigerlily2010

$6K not enough, is it true?

Post by tigerlily2010 » Thu, 03 Jun 2010 7:52 pm

we are about to move to Singapore, my husband just told me that according the estate agent our budget is not enough to get a property in Singapore with the features we would like.

We have a toddler and one on the way so we are looking for at least 3 bed (1800sqf) in a cond with good facilities and the budget is 6K.

We are interested in areas such as Tanjung Rhu (not sure about the spelling sorry!), east coast and maybe holland village.
According to the estate agent we cant efford anything in these areas and suggested west coast?
Is this true? and there are many expats on West Coast? anyone living there?

Thanks

Search By

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Jun 2010 8:34 pm

Yes there are expats living all over the island. When the SAS was located on the south side of the island there were heavy concentrations in Holland Village, but now, with the SAS on the north side of the island, folks are scattered all over the island. Finding 1800 sq/ft 3 br might be a little hard but if you are willing to go out from town a wee bit and not be quite so picky about areas you know nothing about, you will be fine. Matter of fact you could be below your budget if you loosen up a bit. If you only have a toddler and one in the oven, then you don't even need proximity to schools at this point either so the island is really your oyster.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post by 24601 » Thu, 03 Jun 2010 9:52 pm

Hey,

I just rented my condo last week and when I was looking the agent informed me the market is pretty soft. People have gotten so caught up on high prices they're not moving, not buying, not selling so they don't really know. But honestly 6k is a massive budget (I have a 3 bed condo of that size on the 17th floor of a good condo for only a little over half of that). It really depends what you want. Some of the new condos are really expensive. But if you're happier to settle for a smaller condo complex or a slightly older condo you'll be fine.

Oh and prices are negotiable at the moment as well. We below the asking price.

Hope that helps!
Life in a box is better than no life at all... I expect.

Post by 24601 » Thu, 03 Jun 2010 9:52 pm

That was meant to say we signed below the asking price. Sorry!
Life in a box is better than no life at all... I expect.

tigerlily2010

Post by tigerlily2010 » Fri, 04 Jun 2010 8:41 pm

thanks a lot guys, my husband started flat hunting today. He saw a nice one in ClementiWoods, brand new with nice facilities, however he is not sure about the area...
.....wish us luck!!

Crusoe

Post by Crusoe » Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:13 pm

Good information here. I am moving to Singapore soon and the agents say I should bring a wad of cash with me and sign up there and then if I like it as apparently apartments are going fast. Then again, I suppose they would say that!

Anyway, I am looking for a 1-bed apartment, either private condo or HDB, for 1500-2000 SGD a month that's near an MTR station. Gym facilities etc not important. A living room, kitchen and bathroom is all I need. view unimportant. Something 65-75 sqm would be fine on whatever floor in any age apartment so long as it's quiet and has aircon. Is this feasible?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 06 Jun 2010 2:13 pm

Everyone should e more cautious in quoting high rental budgets.
With only 6000 agents registered and over 35000 agents in Singapore, its pretty obvious many will be take for a ride. With the difference in rental split between Agent and Landlord.

Keep your exact budget a secret and just describe what you are looking for, within a lower price range, and work up slowly if the properties aren't suitable. You will have more control over what you want and the price you want to pay.

A rogue agent may just offer you a 3500$ property for 6K and if you like the property, you will probably pay with no questions asked.

So you have to be just as shrewed as the agents. Keep your exact budget to yourself working on the lowest condo price range first to see what is offered!
Many older units are very cheap I have seen some at 2500 The new condo's are of course within the top end of price to Sq mtr, though prices are at a low with many empty units.

It is a tenants market, now there are restrictions on foreign expatriates allowed to work in Singapore, so use the information to bargain down the price, only works if you have the time to look around.

Crusoe yes its feasible for 2 Bedroom local HDB apartments!

tigerlily2010

Post by tigerlily2010 » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 8:57 pm

ksl, thanks for your advise which i found very usefull.
funny enough by posting this thread i have already been PMed by a number of letting agents...is this another sign that your thoughts are correct?!...probably yes!!

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:49 pm

I'm not writing off the West Coast but I think the agent is wrong in saying you need more than that for the areas you are looking for. Be patient, don't rush and see what happens. And stick to your guns, don't pay more than your budget! Good luck.

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:05 am

tigerlily2010 wrote:thanks a lot guys, my husband started flat hunting today. He saw a nice one in ClementiWoods, brand new with nice facilities, however he is not sure about the area...
.....wish us luck!!
I know the area around Clementiwoods pretty well. Like you said it is a brand new condo and has nice facilities.. the area has 5 other condos nearby and is next door to two big open parks... it is also at a walking distance to a newly renovated mall(West Coast Mall) and has a huge hdb hawker center opposite to it.. Also if you plan to drive to the city the west cost highway is very close and it is actually a long flyover straight to the city... very very convenient.. The AYE is also very close..

Downsides... well MRT is a bit far, but they are building one closeby which should be ready in a few years...

BTW 6K is a lot.. don't get fooled by some of these agents... infact a few of my expat friends live in other close-by new condominiums(like Botannia) paying around 3K for a 3bedder.. Hope this helps..

tigerlily2010

Post by tigerlily2010 » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:30 pm

thanks all, i really appreciate all the advises and we are going to follow them and not rush into eanything.

Valleyman, do you mind me asking what are the other 5 condos near by so i can check them out. Also what AYE is? Really sorry if it is a stupid question but i have no idea....

Also what is the reason why east coast is far more popular than the west one...

Cheers

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 1:46 pm

tigerlily2010 wrote:thanks all, i really appreciate all the advises and we are going to follow them and not rush into eanything.

Valleyman, do you mind me asking what are the other 5 condos near by so i can check them out. Also what AYE is? Really sorry if it is a stupid question but i have no idea....

Also what is the reason why east coast is far more popular than the west one...

Cheers
The other adjacent condos are - Varsity Park(excellent- new), Steller(newer), Blue Horizon(old), West Cove(older), West Bay(oldest). I do not think too many expats live in the last 2 condos.. Clementiwoods, Varsity Park and Steller are low rise developments as compared to Blue Horizon which has huge towers but then you get a very good seaview from the mid-higher floors of Blue Horizon..

A bit farther down you have three more brand new condos - Botannia, The Infinity and one more which I can't recall now..

You will easily find apartments for rent in your budget in any of the condos that I have mentioned...

AYE (Ayer Rajah Expressway), is one of the major expressways here linking the center to the West side of the island..

I dunno why the east is more popular than the west... I have always lived on the west side(closer to Holland Village though) and I love the area.. you have good schools, universities, open spaces/parks etc on the West side... Hope this helps...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 1:47 pm

tigerlily2010 wrote: Also what AYE is? Really sorry if it is a stupid question but i have no idea....
Here's a couple of lists of Singapore Acronyms. Official and tongue-in-cheek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Si ... reviations

http://www.talkingcock.com/html/jokexec ... at=Acronym
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

URA website

Post by thismyvoice » Sun, 20 Jun 2010 6:02 pm

If you are not sure of the rental rate, do check out the government URA website.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/real_estate/main.jsp

You can download a PDF file that will tell you the approximate rental price of different private properties here.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateWeb/rea ... roller.jpf

What you see is just a guide. Factors such as the floor level (higher the better), size (bigger units are usually rented out at a cheaper psf rate) and condition matters. Chinese are superstitious and most will not want to stay in a level 4 unit because it sounds like death in Chinese.

Recently a number of condos just TOP so I guess rental should be softening.

Also use it to test the property agent to see if they are being honest about the market rate. Work with a few agents and use them against each other to get cheaper rental. If there are plenty of listing in . for a particular condo, it just means that the rate has to be competitive. Why pay premium if there are lots of options. This is just common sense!

Good luck. 8-)

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

East Coast vs West Coast

Post by thismyvoice » Sun, 20 Jun 2010 6:16 pm

Reason is due to the following:

1) At East Coast beach you can play with sand, swim in sea and generally have better view. There is hardly any beach in West Coast. Your view will consist of cranes from the world class port.
2) West Coast is more industrial. Many factories in the Jurong area. Most people do not like the industrial air. More maintenance is also required for the facade due to pollution.
3) Congestion in the West is worse. AYE seems to more congested compared to ECP. Upper Bukit Timah, Clementi, Jurong East and Bukit Batok is very congested during peak hours.
4) Better food in the East. There are more popular eating joints in the East, compared to the West.
5) There is flood in the Bukit Timah area though the government will be working out measures to address this soon.

However, if your office is in the West, my advice is just stay around the area.

In case you are wondering, I stay South, so I am impartial.