Singapore Expats

Pillow-top mattresses

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Pillow-top mattresses

Post by Splatted » Thu, 03 Jun 2010 5:51 pm

We've only just returned to Singapore and we chose to sell everything before we left Australia rather than ship stuff over.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a store that sells good quality beds/mattresses?

Our last bed in Australia had a pillow-top layer on the mattress, and was so comfortable to sleep on. I'm trusting/hoping Singapore is also up with the times and has these (or better)

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 03 Jun 2010 6:52 pm

Robinsons at Center Point has a really good mattress selection... along with Takashimaya. We bought a King Koil pillow top and so very comfortable. You can check out a lot of the stores:

http://www.kingkoil.com.sg/store.html

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Fri, 04 Jun 2010 6:11 am

I'd be interested to hear what you end up with - we went on a long shopping expedition but for a variety of reasons, never ended up getting anything, though we probably will eventually.

We saw a lot at Robinsons in Centerpoint, Takashimaya, the Tampines Courts, and Harvey Norman's in Millenia Walk.

You really need to shop around because they all have sales, seems like at different times. And I think the prices are pretty inflated to begin with.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 04 Jun 2010 6:35 am

Splatted

Try IMM at Jurong East. Alot of showcase of beds , home decor and so on . Price quite competitive. Parking is free
Shop around you will not be disappointed

MS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Fri, 04 Jun 2010 6:38 am

Yeah we went there too, but I didn't mention it as it didn't warrant the trip, but if you're already out that way....
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 04 Jun 2010 9:04 am

Pardon my ignorance . . . what is a pillow-top layer?

'nuff said Image

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 04 Jun 2010 6:06 pm

it's a cushiony top that is attached on top of the mattress. a little slice of heaven.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:04 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Pardon my ignorance . . . what is a pillow-top layer?

Something like this:

This is the bottom-of-the-range pillow-top bed we had in Australia. Still... damn comfortable.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 04 Jun 2010 11:49 pm

aka mattress topper or a matress pad or underpad, but not a matress protector as they are too thin.

i got a memory foam (visco-elastic polyurethane) topper (similar to tempur) and it is darn comfy.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 05 Jun 2010 3:15 am

durain wrote: i got a memory foam (visco-elastic polyurethane) topper (similar to tempur) and it is darn comfy.
Is this a better option since it is cheaper to replace the memory foam than an entire mattress? How long does the mattress pillow top last before it sags? Memory foam is widely available in US and I am wondering if the material will uncomfortably hot, esp. in SG weather.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sat, 05 Jun 2010 11:29 am

earthfriendly wrote:How long does the mattress pillow top last before it sags?
The one we had was two years old when we sold it, and it had no sagging at all (and both Mrs Splatted & I are on the heavy side). It was just as comfortable to sleep on on the last day, as it was the first.

We had a cheap no-name brand, which cost under $500 in Australia. You can buy the top of the range ones that have all sorts of linings and fillers that go into the 1000's...

What I liked about our bed was that it wasn't hot to sleep on during hot/muggy weather, whereas some of the more expensive ones with sheep wool etc, caused people to perspire overnight.

As an aside, our bed was guaranteed for 5 years, but other brands carried a 10 year guarantee

This is a photo I took in my last week, while I was still selling the bed:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 05 Jun 2010 12:43 pm

Splatted wrote: This is a photo I took in my last week, while I was still selling the bed:
Mate

I have the same one brand is Dunlop . Sold in SG
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 05 Jun 2010 4:26 pm

earthfriendly wrote:
durain wrote: i got a memory foam (visco-elastic polyurethane) topper (similar to tempur) and it is darn comfy.
Is this a better option since it is cheaper to replace the memory foam than an entire mattress? How long does the mattress pillow top last before it sags? Memory foam is widely available in US and I am wondering if the material will uncomfortably hot, esp. in SG weather.
for me, defo a better option. visco-elastic polyurethane foam is excellent but as you mentioned, it is a little hot but i think my body got used to it. visco-elastic polyurethane can last a very long time too.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 05 Jun 2010 4:45 pm

for us the perfect solution was to buy a local made mattress from Harvey Norman , they can pretty much make any size you want, though you cannot find the really large sheets in Singapore, the local beds are very reasonably priced.

Then we had a goose-down and feather mattress topper made by a firm that supply's all the top end hotels they are located on the ground floor of park mall near the Xtra shop (dont buy their European mattresses really daft prices).

Ended up with the perfect bed for a very reasonable price. Admittedly the topper was more expensive than the bed but well worth it.
Last edited by QRM on Sun, 06 Jun 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Pillow-top mattresses

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 06 Jun 2010 8:55 am

Splatted wrote:We've only just returned to Singapore and we chose to sell everything before we left Australia rather than ship stuff over.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a store that sells good quality beds/mattresses?

Our last bed in Australia had a pillow-top layer on the mattress, and was so comfortable to sleep on. I'm trusting/hoping Singapore is also up with the times and has these (or better)
Splatted

Had a look of the model , Detense from Dunlopillo , we paid $800.00 for it. This is King Size