Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
User avatar
machi17
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 17 May 2007
Location: Bukit Panjang

Postby machi17 » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:52 am

2 more days... :( i dun wanna work.. lol
~~I wanna fly too~~

Eveningstar
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed, 06 Jun 2007

Postby Eveningstar » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:33 pm

haha! remember to update us! have fun ya?

machi17 wrote:2 more days... :( i dun wanna work.. lol

User avatar
autumn-reverie
Regular
Regular
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue, 17 Apr 2007

Postby autumn-reverie » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 1:31 pm

DeeeNah wrote:Heu autumn,
You got into SIA on your 1st try. There must be something about you :)

I can't wait to start training and meet up with you guys. As I told machi17, it would be great if we could have a small little support system outside our batch mates. It's quite harmful if we hang out with the same people constantly as you get sick and tired of them, which leads to the norm (gossip, politics, backstabbing). So hopefully we can all have a small nice posse! Good luck on monday autumn!


Hey DeeeNah,
haha i only got in on my 2nd try :P The first time i went was during Nov 06, 3 days before my A-levels Econs paper. i brought notes to study while queuing, the others must be thinking i'm gila haha. I didn't want to miss it cause my sister told me SIA only had recruitments twice a year which now i know is not true :lol:

i agree! it's always good to know more friends & colleagues :D haha yeah, i'm quite excited but very nervous too, dunno what to expect and afraid i'll get scolded on my first day :?

Update us when you get the call you're waiting for k! hehe

User avatar
machi17
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 17 May 2007
Location: Bukit Panjang

Postby machi17 » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 1:33 pm

i got in on my first try~ :oops:
~~I wanna fly too~~

beenhoon
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri, 30 Sep 2005

Postby beenhoon » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 2:28 pm

Eveningstar wrote:I asked the interviewers during my mgmt interview, as per my friend's request, on the cut off age and they told me that 26 and 27 is still ok, as long as u still look youthful. =D go ahead and try. =D im 24, not that young too. LOL!

tamm wrote:hmmmm if i'm married (no kids) & approaching 26 soon.. will SIA still consider me for the FA postion or will be be "TOO OLD"?

:o


really? cut off age is 26, 27?

cos there are girls who got in at 28, 29, 30 too. my friend's ex-colleague who got in at 30 yrs old (duno real or not, heee) ... and mentioned that in other batches, there are girls who are like late 20s, 27, 28, 29...

hmm... well, really duno what SIA wants, i guess.

but still, give it a try girls! don't worry abt ur age, age is just a number! good luck! :wink:

User avatar
sara sara sara
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 23 Jun 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby sara sara sara » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 4:23 pm

elloZ,

I have been reading this very useful forum and had finally decided to join as I can properly thank all for helping me realise a little dream of mine.

In regards to the age problem, I have a little information which I do not know if it helps but here goes:

My secondary school home ed. teacher is now a FSS.
1. She is married, and
2. Should be at lest 27 when she went for the interview.

There is just a few points to note, she is not with SIA but SilkAir; she had to fix her teeth problem while she was in training; and her looks (even with the little teeth problem) had captivated most of the hearts of school boys with her cute and young looks.

So I guess, if you have a certain charm and determination, age really doesn't matter.

fluffyclouds
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 23 Jun 2007

Medical Checkup

Postby fluffyclouds » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 4:28 pm

Hey Peeps!

Can anyone enlighten me on the medical check after mgt round?
Is the clinic still at shaw??

What can we expect during the check up?
Heard one of the gals in my company saying she was bumped out duering medical round bec she has hearing problems. The doc didnt give her second chance and she was still very upset till now although it has been a few yrs back.

Can i advise her to try again? will she get blacklisted?

I'm now flying with Cathay and hope to join SQ also.

Cheers :D

User avatar
machi17
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 17 May 2007
Location: Bukit Panjang

Re: Medical Checkup

Postby machi17 » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 4:33 pm

fluffyclouds wrote:Hey Peeps!

Can anyone enlighten me on the medical check after mgt round?
Is the clinic still at shaw??

What can we expect during the check up?
Heard one of the gals in my company saying she was bumped out duering medical round bec she has hearing problems. The doc didnt give her second chance and she was still very upset till now although it has been a few yrs back.

Can i advise her to try again? will she get blacklisted?

I'm now flying with Cathay and hope to join SQ also.

The clinic is still at shaw house.. they'll do the normal checks.. eyesight, colourblindness, listen to ur heart, blood pressure, etc... regardin the hearing, i had a little problem as well, the doc said my right ear is very bad.. can't hear very well but i managed to get through.. the doc was quite nice actually.. :)

i think she can try again.. dun think they'll back list.. its already after 6 months anyway... :D

Cheers :D
~~I wanna fly too~~

fluffyclouds
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 23 Jun 2007

Re: Medical Checkup

Postby fluffyclouds » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks Macchi!

Heard there are a few docs there.




machi17 wrote:
fluffyclouds wrote:Hey Peeps!

Can anyone enlighten me on the medical check after mgt round?
Is the clinic still at shaw??

What can we expect during the check up?
Heard one of the gals in my company saying she was bumped out duering medical round bec she has hearing problems. The doc didnt give her second chance and she was still very upset till now although it has been a few yrs back.

Can i advise her to try again? will she get blacklisted?

I'm now flying with Cathay and hope to join SQ also.

The clinic is still at shaw house.. they'll do the normal checks.. eyesight, colourblindness, listen to ur heart, blood pressure, etc... regardin the hearing, i had a little problem as well, the doc said my right ear is very bad.. can't hear very well but i managed to get through.. the doc was quite nice actually.. :)

i think she can try again.. dun think they'll back list.. its already after 6 months anyway... :D

Cheers :D
:D :D :D :D
:D

vic_kie
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2007

Postby vic_kie » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 4:54 pm

Hey all..
^^ I'm planning to go for the interview on 15th July too! I'm sooooo nervous and it's causing my eating disorder to come back! :-| I'm putting on sooooo much weight...hm..hope to get myself back in shape soon!

User avatar
sara sara sara
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 23 Jun 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby sara sara sara » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 4:58 pm

hi fluffy,

Yes, the clinc is at the office area of Shaw along Scotts Road and it is almost like what machi17 said, but I will give an account of mine any way.

At there, the nurse will ask you to fill up a 'form' that asks you about your health (e.g. hospitalizations, allergies, gastric problems, and also your monthly issues). She will ask you to a simple colour blind test and also urine test.

Upon completing all those, she will send you to the doctor accordingly for a little body check up and questioning in regards to your 'form'. Think they do not want to take in ppl who will require MC every few months due whatever reason.

Next, you will be asked to take an X-ray at Lucky Plaza; and it will be two weeks of waiting.

As for your friend, I do not knw if hearing will be her problem again; but if it can be recovered, encourage her to try it out again! She must have got what they want that is why she got that far then.
To be or not to be, that is not a question. It is thy choice to be what you could be, should one reach into thee true potential.

User avatar
machi17
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 17 May 2007
Location: Bukit Panjang

Postby machi17 » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 5:13 pm

no worrieS~ welcome~ 8-)
~~I wanna fly too~~

fluffyclouds
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat, 23 Jun 2007

Postby fluffyclouds » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 5:27 pm

thankie Sara!

i have never tried SQ. my first attempt was with Cathay Pacific and I was based in HK then. Missed Singapore so much but HK is a fun place with fun people. Now I am based in spore and quite not used to it anyway.

as my bond is ending soon, i wanted to give it a shot ot switch from Cathay to Sq.

As for my female counterpart, she is afraid to take that leap forward again after that failure. The doc then failed her bec she can't hear well and he thinks it will affect her and cause her to pay her bond eventually. so she was bumped out.

but she's surviving well in cathay she does not have a problem with the pressure at all. But initially she was wearing contact lenses and that did create a bit of problem. but she got her eyesight fixed by doing lasik.

for guys i heard if you are PES C and above, you have to be certified fit to fly or something. Notsure. can anyone enlighten? for me, they sure ask me why I want to switch from cathay to SQ?


Ha.. but i always have good compnay with SQ cabin crews overseas when we are in the same hotel. And a lot want ot join Cathay too.

Life... !



sara sara sara wrote:hi fluffy,

Yes, the clinc is at the office area of Shaw along Scotts Road and it is almost like what machi17 said, but I will give an account of mine any way.

At there, the nurse will ask you to fill up a 'form' that asks you about your health (e.g. hospitalizations, allergies, gastric problems, and also your monthly issues). She will ask you to a simple colour blind test and also urine test.

Upon completing all those, she will send you to the doctor accordingly for a little body check up and questioning in regards to your 'form'. Think they do not want to take in ppl who will require MC every few months due whatever reason.

Next, you will be asked to take an X-ray at Lucky Plaza; and it will be two weeks of waiting.

As for your friend, I do not knw if hearing will be her problem again; but if it can be recovered, encourage her to try it out again! She must have got what they want that is why she got that far then.

User avatar
machi17
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 17 May 2007
Location: Bukit Panjang

Postby machi17 » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 5:38 pm

for guys PES C in army actually means that there was some serious injury before.. so its considered not combat fit.. but u dun have to be combat fit for SQ i think.. alot of categories for PES C as well.. maybe limbs injury r ok.. but heart wise, maybe not.. i dunno.. my wild guess.. 8-)

fluffyclouds wrote:thankie Sara!

i have never tried SQ. my first attempt was with Cathay Pacific and I was based in HK then. Missed Singapore so much but HK is a fun place with fun people. Now I am based in spore and quite not used to it anyway.

as my bond is ending soon, i wanted to give it a shot ot switch from Cathay to Sq.

As for my female counterpart, she is afraid to take that leap forward again after that failure. The doc then failed her bec she can't hear well and he thinks it will affect her and cause her to pay her bond eventually. so she was bumped out.

but she's surviving well in cathay she does not have a problem with the pressure at all. But initially she was wearing contact lenses and that did create a bit of problem. but she got her eyesight fixed by doing lasik.

for guys i heard if you are PES C and above, you have to be certified fit to fly or something. Notsure. can anyone enlighten? for me, they sure ask me why I want to switch from cathay to SQ?


Ha.. but i always have good compnay with SQ cabin crews overseas when we are in the same hotel. And a lot want ot join Cathay too.

Life... !



sara sara sara wrote:hi fluffy,

Yes, the clinc is at the office area of Shaw along Scotts Road and it is almost like what machi17 said, but I will give an account of mine any way.

At there, the nurse will ask you to fill up a 'form' that asks you about your health (e.g. hospitalizations, allergies, gastric problems, and also your monthly issues). She will ask you to a simple colour blind test and also urine test.

Upon completing all those, she will send you to the doctor accordingly for a little body check up and questioning in regards to your 'form'. Think they do not want to take in ppl who will require MC every few months due whatever reason.

Next, you will be asked to take an X-ray at Lucky Plaza; and it will be two weeks of waiting.

As for your friend, I do not knw if hearing will be her problem again; but if it can be recovered, encourage her to try it out again! She must have got what they want that is why she got that far then.
~~I wanna fly too~~

Eveningstar
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed, 06 Jun 2007

Postby Eveningstar » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 6:17 pm

I think age is not important indeed, as long as u look youthful, and have the personality, they'll consider u. =D

beenhoon wrote:
Eveningstar wrote:I asked the interviewers during my mgmt interview, as per my friend's request, on the cut off age and they told me that 26 and 27 is still ok, as long as u still look youthful. =D go ahead and try. =D im 24, not that young too. LOL!

tamm wrote:hmmmm if i'm married (no kids) & approaching 26 soon.. will SIA still consider me for the FA postion or will be be "TOO OLD"?

:o


really? cut off age is 26, 27?

cos there are girls who got in at 28, 29, 30 too. my friend's ex-colleague who got in at 30 yrs old (duno real or not, heee) ... and mentioned that in other batches, there are girls who are like late 20s, 27, 28, 29...

hmm... well, really duno what SIA wants, i guess.

but still, give it a try girls! don't worry abt ur age, age is just a number! good luck! :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests