Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
User avatar
taurus19
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri, 18 Aug 2006

Postby taurus19 » Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:01 pm

koko77
thank for your abv info.. and i do agree wif you that dip from NAFA, Lasalle-SIA, Raffles Lasalle and SIM is "OK" cert to enrol for SIA. bt MDIS oso consider ma? cos i dun quite like MDIS dun kw how to describle. anyway i think of using m PSB cert to enrol for SIM dip if still they dun accept i ll guai guai go study m O level...

corines143
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon, 06 Nov 2006
Location: Paris-Milan-Barcelona

Postby corines143 » Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:39 pm

actually MDIS is not bad you know.
it offers MASS COMM diplomas and certs which are recognised by all media agencies and all the media persons study their degree there. so give it a try. i know what u are thinking. its non-governmental and its sort of private rite?
well i went thru MDIS degree course and it was pretty sucky becos of the coordinator and some few lectuerers but then again you know you get that everywhere u go.
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe

koko77
Regular
Regular
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu, 13 Jul 2006
Contact:

Postby koko77 » Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:05 pm

Taurus.

I totally agree with corines. MDIS is more recgonised everywhere else other than SIA. When it comes to the schedule and also other aspect in the course. You can't help it. It is the school system. Nevertheless, it does provide a large range of course that you can choose from. I believe you will find something you like. Think abt it. If u're gonna take ur Os, You have to wait till Next nov. And ur results in 2008.

But should you join MDIS, as they have several intake in a yr. It takes a shorter time and also by the end of next yr. You will get ur dip.

Right.

User avatar
taurus19
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri, 18 Aug 2006

Postby taurus19 » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:42 am

corines143 wrote:actually MDIS is not bad you know.
it offers MASS COMM diplomas and certs which are recognised by all media agencies and all the media persons study their degree there. so give it a try. i know what u are thinking. its non-governmental and its sort of private rite?
well i went thru MDIS degree course and it was pretty sucky becos of the coordinator and some few lectuerers but then again you know you get that everywhere u go.


hi koko77 & corines143
thank for sharing wif me this precious info, am glad to know that MDIS cld be one of e cert for enrolling SIA, mmm... i have some doubt if you all can help me.

1. Is MDIS a 100% (dip/deg) sure can get in SIA?
2. Is it ok if i got PSB cert den study MDIS dip after which then apply SIM deg, is it possible? or i must follow the sequence like MDIS dip follow by MDIS deg?

agree what koko77 have mention in the earlier post it ll be faster if i study for the 1yr MDIS dip

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:56 am

koko77 wrote:xmischax

I'm from a local design school. There's only 3 you can think of. I major in something so different from what I am gonna do. Believe it anot?, I was from the fashion design faculty.

People may think do they really take such dip. Yes they do. I submitted to SIA my cert couple weeks ago. They have to review it since my interview was in July. They only take 4 days to get back to me telling me my training date.

Don't worry. Whatever cert ur holding and I do believe you have Os right? You may be too young nevertheless, you can still try. take it as a experience.


heyoooo.

i`ve decided not to go for this interview. i`ll go after i graduate from SP with my dip in aerospace electronics engineering. hopefully they`ll have a recruitment there again when i am graduating. i`m starting in apr07.

so i can take all these years to prepare. i`ve been taking french and will continue till i master it, gain customer service experience and get my diploma. by then, i`m sure i`ll be more experienced, more matured and more confident. i`ll make all efforts and whatever it takes, i won`t forsake my dream! :D

User avatar
taurus19
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri, 18 Aug 2006

Postby taurus19 » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:59 am

Diploma in Business Management
(Awarded by MDIS, an Associate Institute of the University of Bradford, UK) A.
This is conducted on a modular basis that can be completed within 9 months - 3100-3300

Professional Diploma in Business
(Jointly Awarded by MDIS and Edith Cowan University, WA) B.
12 months on part time basis - 6800-7200


Diploma in International Business
(Recognised by Southern Cross University, AUS) C.
Minimum duration of 12 months - 3100-3300

A, B & C which is better as in recongition?

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 1:00 am

taurus19 wrote:
corines143 wrote:actually MDIS is not bad you know.
it offers MASS COMM diplomas and certs which are recognised by all media agencies and all the media persons study their degree there. so give it a try. i know what u are thinking. its non-governmental and its sort of private rite?
well i went thru MDIS degree course and it was pretty sucky becos of the coordinator and some few lectuerers but then again you know you get that everywhere u go.


hi koko77 & corines143
thank for sharing wif me this precious info, am glad to know that MDIS cld be one of e cert for enrolling SIA, mmm... i have some doubt if you all can help me.

1. Is MDIS a 100% (dip/deg) sure can get in SIA?
2. Is it ok if i got PSB cert den study MDIS dip after which then apply SIM deg, is it possible? or i must follow the sequence like MDIS dip follow by MDIS deg?

agree what koko77 have mention in the earlier post it ll be faster if i study for the 1yr MDIS dip


i can`t answer your questions but i would recommend mdis to you. it`s recognised by companies, even govt authorities. it`s not bad too, with it`s partnership with those selected univs. and if you have financial concerns, mdis is definitely cheaper than psb.

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 1:04 am

taurus19 wrote:Diploma in Business Management
(Awarded by MDIS, an Associate Institute of the University of Bradford, UK) A.
This is conducted on a modular basis that can be completed within 9 months - 3100-3300

Professional Diploma in Business
(Jointly Awarded by MDIS and Edith Cowan University, WA) B.
12 months on part time basis - 6800-7200


Diploma in International Business
(Recognised by Southern Cross University, AUS) C.
Minimum duration of 12 months - 3100-3300

A, B & C which is better as in recongition?


personally, i don`t think you should compare these 3 as they are going in different directions in business/management. business is slightly different from management too, the comparison won`t be very fair. however, if you`re looking it in terms of the universities awarding the certs, personally i think univ of bradford is a good choice. it`s pretty famous and well-received by uk employers. but that`s my opinion, of course. it`s just my side of the story. hope it helps. :)

also, i hope you`re not taking a dip just to fulfill SIA`s requirements.. it`s gotta be something you like and you want to study, not just the course that takes the shortest time, you know!

nafnaf
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed, 21 Sep 2005

Postby nafnaf » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 2:30 am

if im not wrong SIA does not accept diplomas from mdis, better to check it out with HR first before committing to take up the program :)

kristen
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat, 22 Oct 2005
Location: Singapore

oh no..

Postby kristen » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 8:34 am

nafnaf wrote:if im not wrong SIA does not accept diplomas from mdis, better to check it out with HR first before committing to take up the program :)


Gosh...are u serious?..i recently completed my diploma in mass communications in MDIS..i am currently waiting to sit for one last exam in British Council and i am done..i will get my diploma cert in february..i even went all the way out to learn how to swim..and now? : (( i guess there is no harm trying..even if i dun get the job, i know i tried my best..at least, i can go apply for the next advanced diploma intake in april..

anyways, do you think there be any recruitment drive in february?

cabbage_girl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 11 Nov 2006

Postby cabbage_girl » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:22 am

koko77 wrote:Cabbage

Sorry for the late reply. I mentioned earlier. SIA do accept pte dip. I'm from a local design school. I'm not exactly a crew, but i'm starting my training on the 25th Jan.

As for ur fren, cos' you did said she's from some pte dip? I heard from a fren of mine that her fren was from PSB. And SIA rejected her bcos of that. As for MDIS, I believe that SIA do tie down with MDIS for courses available for SIA crew.

So it is advisable to take a dip from NAFA, Lasalle-SIA, Raffles Lasalle, SIM & MDIS if you do not have local poly dip. Since you have a PSB academy certificate. I would suggest that you go for MDIS instead as it is more regconised for SIA and also other company. Moreover the part time dip only takes 12 mths or so. Full time is abt 9 mths I think.

But, but... you can try using ur PSB certificate. I cannot guarantee you anything. But you can try. It's a dilemma. You have to accept it if they don't accept ur cert.



Hi Koko,

Thanks for reply. No worries bout me. I have all the qualifications that they required. keke... But I do agree with what you said, MDIS is reliable since it is a local school with quite a reputation. My degree cert is from there too and SIA accepted it. :)

User avatar
taurus19
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri, 18 Aug 2006

Postby taurus19 » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:21 am

cabbage_girl wrote:
koko77 wrote:Cabbage

Sorry for the late reply. I mentioned earlier. SIA do accept pte dip. I'm from a local design school. I'm not exactly a crew, but i'm starting my training on the 25th Jan.

As for ur fren, cos' you did said she's from some pte dip? I heard from a fren of mine that her fren was from PSB. And SIA rejected her bcos of that. As for MDIS, I believe that SIA do tie down with MDIS for courses available for SIA crew.

So it is advisable to take a dip from NAFA, Lasalle-SIA, Raffles Lasalle, SIM & MDIS if you do not have local poly dip. Since you have a PSB academy certificate. I would suggest that you go for MDIS instead as it is more regconised for SIA and also other company. Moreover the part time dip only takes 12 mths or so. Full time is abt 9 mths I think.

But, but... you can try using ur PSB certificate. I cannot guarantee you anything. But you can try. It's a dilemma. You have to accept it if they don't accept ur cert.



Hi Koko,

Thanks for reply. No worries bout me. I have all the qualifications that they required. keke... But I do agree with what you said, MDIS is reliable since it is a local school with quite a reputation. My degree cert is from there too and SIA accepted it. :)


your degree cert is from there too and SIA accepted it?

meaning to said you have start your training with them or....? plus your dip oso from MDIS?

User avatar
taurus19
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri, 18 Aug 2006

Postby taurus19 » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:26 am

of cos mainly not for the sake of SIA then choose this or that school is oso our future job/career mah...
:wink:

User avatar
ryanstarr
Regular
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue, 24 Jan 2006
Location: Frankel Avenue

Postby ryanstarr » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 1:28 pm

taurus19 wrote:hi ryanstarr
u mean u fly wif SIA before? :shock: Then are you still wif them, may i know how old are you?


Yes, flew with them for almost 6 years. So sad, I did not want to be Leading SS when they promoted me after 4 years, so I gave up the rank. Then one fine day, I was working with this Chief Steward(now IFS). He gave me a hard time, and since the aircraft was still on the ground, I took my bag and walked off. This led to discipline action being taken. I was grounded, and feeling miserable, I quit. In a way, I regret my actions. Joining Tiger will ease some of this emotional baggage I have been carrying all these years. I'm....33. There is no job, not in Singapore anyway, like flying. Give your best, everyone out there who is in there! :)
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

corines143
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon, 06 Nov 2006
Location: Paris-Milan-Barcelona

Postby corines143 » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 2:02 pm

Hey are u a gal ? ?

but you can try other airlines like EK they are looking for ppl and their remuneration package is much better... try it out!!

why didnt u want to be Leading SS ?

and what is IFS?
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests