Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
p3i86
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon, 25 Jul 2005

Postby p3i86 » Sat, 02 Dec 2006 3:15 am

I only saw the post for Singapore
poly students only....hehe alright thanks for reply though[/quote]

teto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 06 Dec 2006

interesting site

Postby teto » Wed, 06 Dec 2006 5:36 pm

Hi all! I stumbled on thes sites concerning SIA cabin crew...interesting and hilarious! http://bohtong.blogspot.com and http://bohtong.mywowbb.com :oops: :oops: :oops:

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: interesting site

Postby Plavt » Wed, 06 Dec 2006 6:24 pm

teto wrote:Hi all! I stumbled on thes sites concerning SIA cabin crew...interesting and hilarious! http://bohtong.blogspot.com and http://bohtong.mywowbb.com :oops: :oops: :oops:


My personal advices would be don't bother looking the guy is I think most likely a fraud since at one point in this forum he claims to have been an interviewer yet at the same time claims to be uneducated.

How does somebody who is uneducated become cabin crew and moreover and interviewer when education is paramount to both? He claims to have joined SIA 35 years ago, yet at that time the requirements for cabin crew were likely more stringent than now.

From what I have seen of the mentioned website many of the characters although not all appear to have been created by himself but no doubt he makes a bit from the Google ads revenue.
:D

kristen
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat, 22 Oct 2005
Location: Singapore

hey guys ; )

Postby kristen » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 8:44 am

any idea when is the next recruitment drive? i be graduation next year january.

corines143
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon, 06 Nov 2006
Location: Paris-Milan-Barcelona

Postby corines143 » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 8:12 pm

hi there
i heard the next walk-in interview will be on 6th and 7th jan 2007
so all the best to you.
how old r you?
SingaporeGIrl - I wanna fly!! hehe

kristen
Regular
Regular
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat, 22 Oct 2005
Location: Singapore

Hey babe : )

Postby kristen » Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:59 pm

Hey babe ; )

thanks a million for the reply.
well,im 18 years old.
i be graduation january next year. i am hoping there will be a recruitment drive in febuary . at least, there be sufficient time to get fully prepared.
any idea if there be a recruitment drive next year february?

Sequoia
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri, 24 Nov 2006

Re: interesting site

Postby Sequoia » Mon, 11 Dec 2006 4:47 pm

Hi Plavt,

don't underestimate these uncles and aunties. 35 years ago, not many people were that educated therefore SQ's requirements in terms of education was probably low. But what these people have after a long time was experience.

That counts for more in an industry where skills you acquire are important... perhaps more so than paper qualifications.

Having degree holders as FS in SQ makes them look atas and capable. But come on, we all know that even a diploma holder, heck, even a good looking, smooth talking o level holder can do the job.

Perhaps the only thing degree holders can do better might be hmm... talking to customers? But even some degree holders can't even hold a candle to N-level holders in terms of EQ skills.

So tell me, what makes a degree holder more qualified in this industry besides being able to put them into management roles in the future (IF they stay).

Plavt wrote:
teto wrote:Hi all! I stumbled on thes sites concerning SIA cabin crew...interesting and hilarious! http://bohtong.blogspot.com and http://bohtong.mywowbb.com :oops: :oops: :oops:


My personal advices would be don't bother looking the guy is I think most likely a fraud since at one point in this forum he claims to have been an interviewer yet at the same time claims to be uneducated.

How does somebody who is uneducated become cabin crew and moreover and interviewer when education is paramount to both? He claims to have joined SIA 35 years ago, yet at that time the requirements for cabin crew were likely more stringent than now.

From what I have seen of the mentioned website many of the characters although not all appear to have been created by himself but no doubt he makes a bit from the Google ads revenue.
:D
Me wanna fly high!

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Mon, 11 Dec 2006 5:29 pm

Sequoia,
Maybe it would help if you pulled the cotton wool out your ears, 35 years ago or not somebody in cabin crew personnel which he claims to have been would have been highly qualified and cabin crew would have been well qualified should your care to read your history books or equivalent.

You have neither read nor understood what I have said or perhaps you are Boh Tong himself????? :roll:

PS: I still remember how select airlines were regarding personnel 35 years ago.

User avatar
sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri, 07 Apr 2006
Location: 2012

Re: interesting site

Postby sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Mon, 11 Dec 2006 9:03 pm

Sequoia wrote:Hi Plavt,

don't underestimate these uncles and aunties. 35 years ago, not many people were that educated therefore SQ's requirements in terms of education was probably low. But what these people have after a long time was experience.

That counts for more in an industry where skills you acquire are important... perhaps more so than paper qualifications.

Having degree holders as FS in SQ makes them look atas and capable. But come on, we all know that even a diploma holder, heck, even a good looking, smooth talking o level holder can do the job.

Perhaps the only thing degree holders can do better might be hmm... talking to customers? But even some degree holders can't even hold a candle to N-level holders in terms of EQ skills.

So tell me, what makes a degree holder more qualified in this industry besides being able to put them into management roles in the future (IF they stay).

Plavt wrote:
teto wrote:Hi all! I stumbled on thes sites concerning SIA cabin crew...interesting and hilarious! http://bohtong.blogspot.com and http://bohtong.mywowbb.com :oops: :oops: :oops:


My personal advices would be don't bother looking the guy is I think most likely a fraud since at one point in this forum he claims to have been an interviewer yet at the same time claims to be uneducated.

How does somebody who is uneducated become cabin crew and moreover and interviewer when education is paramount to both? He claims to have joined SIA 35 years ago, yet at that time the requirements for cabin crew were likely more stringent than now.

From what I have seen of the mentioned website many of the characters although not all appear to have been created by himself but no doubt he makes a bit from the Google ads revenue.
:D


He is a veteran crew..What about his trophy?Didn't you see the SIA logo on it?It's a retirement gift.Besides,it was in 1971 when he started..I don't think SIA really looked deep into his education in those days.
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: interesting site

Postby Plavt » Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:02 pm

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi wrote:
He is a veteran crew..What about his trophy?Didn't you see the SIA logo on it?It's a retirement gift.Besides,it was in 1971 when he started..I don't think SIA really looked deep into his education in those days.


So he put up some pictures - how the hell do you know they are his and not some concoction courtesy of photoshop? The date he started means nothing. The requirements for aircrew years ago were in fact more stringent (cabin crew), if you don't know what I am talking about try asking your teacher.

Sequoia
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri, 24 Nov 2006

Postby Sequoia » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 1:03 am

Plavt... checked... no cotton wool in my ears.

Were u a cabin crew? 35 years ago? (asking out of curiosity cos I might have something that may interest you)

Haha.. i'm glad u think i'm that experienced, but hey.. i'm only 20+.

Btw, i read lots of history books. I'm an arts major :wink:

And i doubt he recruited 35 years ago. He was probably recruited 35 years ago. THEN he started recruiting after 10-20 years of experience as a crew.

And pls don't insult me by calling me Bohtong... Bohtong = guy. Sequoia = girl. Besides, I think my writing calibre is way better, thank you very much!
Me wanna fly high!

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 2:32 am

Sequoia wrote:
Btw, i read lots of history books. I'm an arts major :wink:


I find it very disheartening that you should now start flaunting your qualifications since in many instances they can mean nothing. Perhaps you mean no harm but I would be a little wary of mentioning them.

And i doubt he recruited 35 years ago. He was probably recruited 35 years ago. THEN he started recruiting after 10-20 years of experience as a crew.


I doubt very much if he ever recruited at all during his service since even then the likelihoods are he would have needed a degree and a written standard of English far superior to what he has used on this site.

You say you are 20+ in which case here's what you cannot possibly remember; from the onset of airline passenger services which began in the late fifties by and large only the rich and famous or the wealthy traveled by air. As you would expect there were not nearly as many pilots or cabin crew as there are nowadays. The requirement for female candidates for cabin crew were A) they had to be single and B) they had to be a qualified nurse. I don't know when such stipulations were ended but it must have been some time around the early sixties about the time I attended High School (I remember the first jumbo-jets coming into service and concord being built). Regarding the cabin crew qualifications you can see for yourself that people would have been highly educated.

You may say 'oh but you are in the UK and I am in Singapore', but look back far enough and you will find at one timeSingapore Airlines was part of British Airways.*

I have never been crew and nowadays wouldn't want to be but I am interested in your saying you have something that might interest me.

Glad there's no cotton wool in your ears and glad you aren't Boh Tong, I have observed other things in his posts and his website I find suspect. :P

* My information was incorrect have posted a correction later.
Last edited by Plavt on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Puppy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 10 Nov 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby Puppy » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:12 pm

Plavt wrote:
I have never been crew and nowadays wouldn't want to be but I am interested in your saying you have something that might interest me.



Hi Plavt,

Can I know why you wouldn't want to be a crew nowadays? :o

first choice
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 12 Dec 2006

Postby first choice » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 1:40 pm

Plavt:

Plavt wrote:I doubt very much if he ever recruited at all during his service since even then the likelihoods are he would have needed a degree and a written standard of English far superior to what he has used on this site.

You say you are 20+ in which case here's what you cannot possibly remember; from the onset of airline passenger services which began in the late fifties by and large only the rich and famous or the wealthy traveled by air. As you would expect there were not nearly as many pilots or cabin crew as there are nowadays. The requirement for female candidates for cabin crew were A) they had to be single and B) they had to be a qualified nurse. I don't know when such stipulations were ended but it must have been some time around the early sixties about the time I attended High School (I remember the first jumbo-jets coming into service and concord being built). Regarding the cabin crew qualifications you can see for yourself that people would have been highly educated.


I'm writing this because I feel that you are basically bias against some of the members' opinions. Furthermore, do you really think your standard of written English is superior to Mr. Boh Tong's standard of English so much so as to criticize him?? :mad: Look through your posts and it's not difficult to spot your grammatical and many other errors! :P

Plavt wrote:You may say 'oh but you are in the UK and I am in Singapore', but look back far enough and you will find at one time Singapore Airlines was part of British Airways.


Plavt, you ought to do your research properly before posting any facts. They're incorrect. :shock: According to http://experts.about.com/e/s/si/singapore_airlines.htm (Singapore Airlines at All Experts), SIA was not part of BA. In fact, BA only provided technical assistance, as well as assistance in joining the IATA.

If you'd really done your research, you should know that Singapore gained independence in 1965 and by that time, Singapore is already not part of the British colony. Unless you know the recruitment procedures and requirements of SIA cabin crew back in the 1970s, many of us would appreciate if you could stop those irrelevant postings. :roll: OMG!
Show me and I will forget. Tell me and I will remember. Involve me and I will understand.

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 3:21 pm

I'm writing this because I feel that you are basically bias against some of the members' opinions. Furthermore, do you really think your standard of written English is superior to Mr. Boh Tong's standard of English so much so as to criticize him?? :mad: Look through your posts and it's not difficult to spot your grammatical and many other errors! :P


Oh yeah? point them out if you are so sure because I never said I was superior nor did I say I was perfect and it would help if you read and undertstood. Boh Tong's English if you care to read it is pathetic and not what you would expect of somebody of that age, even less a cabin crew interviewer - get your facts right before opening your mouth!



Plavt, you ought to do your research properly before posting any facts. They're incorrect. :shock: According to http://experts.about.com/e/s/si/singapore_airlines.htm (Singapore Airlines at All Experts), SIA was not part of BA. In fact, BA only provided technical assistance, as well as assistance in joining the IATA.


There you again; that information was in fact provided to me by the customer relations officer who has worked for the company for the last 40 years and have spoken to on several occassions so instead of trying to be clever get your facts right.

If you'd really done your research, you should know that Singapore gained independence in 1965 and by that time, Singapore is already not part of the British colony. Unless you know the recruitment procedures and requirements of SIA cabin crew back in the 1970s, many of us would appreciate if you could stop those irrelevant postings. :roll: OMG!


I know that and it is clear that you are not only attempting to be patronizing but are incredibly cheeky to say the least, and probably weren't even born when most of what of referring to occurred. Your post is not only conceited, rude and arrogant but is the one that is irrelevant so take your opinion and shove it!

Ps: You must be one of Boh Tong's friends.
Last edited by Plavt on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 3:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests