Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
toygirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 26 Apr 2006

Postby toygirl » Fri, 03 Nov 2006 5:46 pm

Yes, for SQ steward it is kinda standard. They usually take in these

1. The suave guy
2. The plain guy with w/o glasses which can be transformed

Good teeth please. No wreck. Smell good please. Some deodorant is always handy for those who need it.

Clear complexion preferred but a bit of acne that can be cleared quickly.

No fatties (Once you're in, it's okay I guess). No effeminate or flaming queens.

Speak clear, smile, don't go "Good morning my name is xxxx ERRRR ERRRR ERRRR" No errrss aaaaaa, huh??? Watch how you sit - I know you guys need air - But don't spread your legs out too wide.

Steward recruitment is much easily in contrast to what the girls have to go through. Most guys fail Round 1 because they don't know how to compose a proper introduction, talk to fast, Singlish, appear dumb or dress like they are Mr Phua Chu Kang.

Round 2 - Killers would be career objective is unclear. Has difficulty reading and pronounciation. Conversing difficulties. Job hopper. Overqualified

Round 3 - Psycho/Swim - Fatties, skinny, blind bats. Swim issues. (Help help I can't swim...) Walk funny - gait issues.

Round 4 - Management interview - Career direction, ability to take stress, temperament, charm, EQ, job history (job hopper alert), NS records (Medical problems signal), family background (is the father a loanshark - Etc, etc)

Medical - Is he fit to fly? Audiogram (Is he deaf), anaemia? We don't want mentally unstable or weak ducklings....

You guys have it MUCH EASIER than the ladies. Guys have to be strong. Basically you aren't the face - It's the Singapore Girl.....

Career prospects are limited. You be end up working 7-8 years in economy. If you didn't study well in school, good job for you. If you did well? - Then 1.5 year bond, then you can always leave.

The girls always treats the steward boys nicer than other females onboard. No idea why.

P.P.S - Just a summary above - If you're skinny, fem or whatever, don't blame me okay! :)

piNk APpLe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri, 27 Oct 2006

final interview today?

Postby piNk APpLe » Fri, 03 Nov 2006 8:25 pm

any one went for final interview today? how many pple today?

User avatar
ryanstarr
Regular
Regular
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue, 24 Jan 2006
Location: Frankel Avenue

Postby ryanstarr » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 11:05 am

toygirl wrote:Before the slogan was "Fly the friendly skies of United"
It should be changed to "Fly the crappy skies of United"

It's now known as "It's time to fly" - When I should think a parody would be "It's time to run away from that airline"

www.untied.com

I have nothing good to say about this airline. I really don't. If you're desperate to be crew, then go here. Terrible service, terrible work environment, terrible.

P.S - Looks do not matter in this airline. We have one obese girl flying and some girls with really bad acne - Some mothers. Looks don't matter here. The guys are basically uncles - some with pot bellies and some effeminate guys whom you wonder if they contemplated a sex change.

Anyhow, all I can say is..... Enjoy!



Hi! Thank you for the prompt, super prompt reply. I take it you are flying for United. My chances are better signing for this United rather than Man Utd! I have flown for SQ and was an LSS. Didn't make it for UA the last time round (1 April 2006). If I get in, I shall do my best to be the change I want to see. I turned down Tiger after I was selected for the final interview, held just yesterday. The timing is uncanny as I saw United's advertisement in todays Recruit Section. It's on their Singapore website as well. Wish we luck! Out of the frying pan, and into the... :)
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 26 Apr 2006

Postby toygirl » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:46 pm

Good luck - There is about 15% ex SQ there - 2 IFS now just plain Regional Flight Attendants. 2 others are now Pursers. All I can say your experience as LSS in SQ will help you combat the very fake and extremely bitchy environment. It's the "senior citizens" group over at UA SIN base.

Gosh, anyhow, it's kinda quick to do another recruitment - Amazing. I guess you can try if you're desperate and really don't mind the shit. The pay is better than Tiger but the layover to NRT is 1 day and HKG is like 6 hours? You may have to help out the BKK base and Seoul layover is basically at the airport hotel.

Warning: Ex SQ? - Don't brag about this if you get in - The UA returnees IMHO have issues with SQ crew. I have no idea why! A lot of ego issues and malicious gossip. Gosh. The only good ones there are the ex-SQ people. The rest are just plain ...........................

Check your PM.

If you really considered it, then go. I wish you the best. They value experience a lot in this airline. Those typical SQ wannabes won't be shortlisted here.

User avatar
Shreked
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2006
Location: In The Air

Postby Shreked » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 4:26 pm

toygirl wrote:Yes, for SQ steward it is kinda standard. They usually take in these

1. The suave guy
2. The plain guy with w/o glasses which can be transformed

Good teeth please. No wreck. Smell good please. Some deodorant is always handy for those who need it.

Clear complexion preferred but a bit of acne that can be cleared quickly.

No fatties (Once you're in, it's okay I guess). No effeminate or flaming queens.

Speak clear, smile, don't go "Good morning my name is xxxx ERRRR ERRRR ERRRR" No errrss aaaaaa, huh??? Watch how you sit - I know you guys need air - But don't spread your legs out too wide.

Steward recruitment is much easily in contrast to what the girls have to go through. Most guys fail Round 1 because they don't know how to compose a proper introduction, talk to fast, Singlish, appear dumb or dress like they are Mr Phua Chu Kang.

Round 2 - Killers would be career objective is unclear. Has difficulty reading and pronounciation. Conversing difficulties. Job hopper. Overqualified

Round 3 - Psycho/Swim - Fatties, skinny, blind bats. Swim issues. (Help help I can't swim...) Walk funny - gait issues.

Round 4 - Management interview - Career direction, ability to take stress, temperament, charm, EQ, job history (job hopper alert), NS records (Medical problems signal), family background (is the father a loanshark - Etc, etc)

Medical - Is he fit to fly? Audiogram (Is he deaf), anaemia? We don't want mentally unstable or weak ducklings....

You guys have it MUCH EASIER than the ladies. Guys have to be strong. Basically you aren't the face - It's the Singapore Girl.....

Career prospects are limited. You be end up working 7-8 years in economy. If you didn't study well in school, good job for you. If you did well? - Then 1.5 year bond, then you can always leave.

The girls always treats the steward boys nicer than other females onboard. No idea why.

P.P.S - Just a summary above - If you're skinny, fem or whatever, don't blame me okay! :)


Regarding about the Medical Check-up,I'm unsure if SQ accept an applicant that was diagnosed with Cluster Headache..
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4290
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 5:13 pm

Shreked wrote:
Regarding about the Medical Check-up,I'm unsure if SQ accept an applicant that was diagnosed with Cluster Headache..



I really don't know what you mean when you say 'cluster' but if you mean some permanent disability then the answer is most likely no since all flight crew need to be in very good health.

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 26 Apr 2006

Postby toygirl » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 5:59 pm

Shreked - That could be an issue as it depends whether is episodic or chronic. Basically you need to be fit. If you're going to be sick most of the time, it affects scheduling, and standby has to be activated. Worry about that when the time comes.

Lighthammer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat, 04 Nov 2006
Location: Eastern

Postby Lighthammer » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 6:16 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I was looking through the internet for information regarding cabin crew when I came across this site. Did a bit of reading through the posts and I must say that its all very informative.

I'm interested in joining the airlines since I've been so influenced by my parents. Both my parents are in SIA. Both are and have been cabin crew. I just graduated with a higher diploma from SHATEC and I was thinking of going for the coming interview. Basically I meet all their requirements but I'm big sized. Not Moses Lim kind of course.

I had a friend telling me when he went for the interview he saw many guys bigger sized than me and I should try. However I'm not confident about it... I'm 1.74m tall. What should I do?

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 26 Apr 2006

Postby toygirl » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 6:20 pm

Lighthammer - From SHATEC. Did hotel attachments? Just go! Plenty of people have gone for recruitment, failed and picked themselves up and continued.

Just go. Nothing to lose. Gain the experience.

Lighthammer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat, 04 Nov 2006
Location: Eastern

Postby Lighthammer » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 6:28 pm

Hey Toygirl! Thanks for responding to my post. Yes I completed my attachment already. 9 months of getting bullied. :)

I would like to try. Probably I would get to see guys of all shapes and sizes. However I feel a little inferior compared to those fit guys. Other than weight issue I don't think that I will lose out. My mum, who used to be a stewardess tells me when she handles the interviews she sees a lot of guys who are really out of shape. The comments that the interviewers give are downright demoralizing. Apparently they called one aspirant "bulky". I don't want to end up like that... :(

toygirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 26 Apr 2006

Postby toygirl » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 6:36 pm

Well, you just gotta smile when any harsh comments are given. Yes, in SQ they tend to do that. It's just to see how you react. Why worry so much? Just try and see what happens. You must have seen worser guests at the hotel? How do you react? Same thing.

Your mother is ex-SQ, does she support you? Singaporegirl's mother was also ex-SQ.

Just go for it. Practice your introduction, share with your round 2 interviewer why you want to be a crew, your hotel experience, etc and just be confident! How do you expect people to notice you when you're unsure!

Are you overweight? BMI wise? Do you have man "breasts" ? JUST GO FOR IT.

Hotel candidates always have an edge. Always. Why - They have skills.

To digress... the hilarious thing I have ever seen in a interview is a mother coming with her 23 year old son for an cabin crew interview going "Mommy wait for you okay!" I just couldn't stop laughing my head off!

Don't bring your mother for your interview, please! I always seen one mother every recruitment season without fail.

Good luck!

Ivanz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon, 09 Oct 2006

Postby Ivanz » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 6:58 pm

Hi toygirl jus wondering r u wif the SQ recruitement or cabin crew. Most of the posts u made were very infomative and helpful...

Aquagal
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon, 21 Aug 2006
Contact:

Postby Aquagal » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 8:23 pm

HI Toygirl,

Always find it a pleasure reading your posts.. Very interesting, entertaining info and advice.. :P What other weird and funny encounters that u had experienced before in your entire airline career? Care to share??

indcisive
Regular
Regular
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri, 03 Nov 2006

Postby indcisive » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 8:59 pm

hi guys..

if im a malaysian and i manage to get in.. during and after the training do SIA provide accomodation? would like to know because the rental in sg is kinda steep. Any other benefits that I should know of? Need to plan ahead ;)

thanks!

ciao

User avatar
Shreked
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2006
Location: In The Air

Postby Shreked » Sat, 04 Nov 2006 9:43 pm

toygirl wrote:Shreked - That could be an issue as it depends whether is episodic or chronic. Basically you need to be fit. If you're going to be sick most of the time, it affects scheduling, and standby has to be activated. Worry about that when the time comes.


Its episodic but a mild one. It's more of an eyeache than a headache.
I'm Evolving!

My Wings are growing!!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests