Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
reef
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed, 09 Aug 2006

Postby reef » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:27 pm

komi wrote:is SIA very strict on the height requirement? if falls slightly below will they accept on ocassions?


If your height is between 157 - 158... you may give it a try?

ntyj
Regular
Regular
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu, 27 Jul 2006

Postby ntyj » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:39 pm

komi wrote:is SIA very strict on the height requirement? if falls slightly below will they accept on ocassions?



how tall are you?
im 157cm...but im in though.

komi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed, 23 Aug 2006

Postby komi » Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:55 pm

im 156.. :( do you think there is chance?

Punkman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 11 Aug 2006

Postby Punkman » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:35 am

Sometimes it's not neccesary to read everything. cos i believe its more about the heart then just reading up and being armed with too much information. If you have what it takes, you'll make it because the interviewers can tell whether or not you're sincere or just putting up a false front.

Basically, the interview is like any job interview, dress appropriately, like ou are going for a business meeting. Show a positive attitude. and since this is a job in the service line, smile. =) now that is a very big tip.

The culture for all crew is to help each other out. So, its quite pointless to go through all the pages because frankly, 70% or even more of the post are not that useful actually.

It's ok to ask but some things you can find out for yourself. The library is a good place. It's good to ask intelligent quetions in any interview though.

Ixora
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 07 Aug 2006

Postby Ixora » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:38 am

ntyj wrote:
Ixora wrote:Hi ntyj :wave: ,

just to ask, how long will everything take from the first interview thru till the medical check-up? I did hear differently from my frens, saying that it varys . With considerations to the few tests that one has to get thru, u did mention all tests together should take abt 4/5 days? what abt the waiting time in between those days?

I presume that the whole process will take abt 2mths max? Pls correct me if i am wrong.

love to hear frm u , Ix


erm...from wad i have read thru this forum and frens who attended on sat (i attended on sun 12pm)....
the earlier u go for the interview, the earlier is ur swim date...

as for me...im like the last grp almost the last girl....
hence...my first 3 rds of interview was on the 2nd july, swim rd on the 17th..mgmt on the 18th, and medical on the 20th. I only got a confirmed
call from them on the 3rd aug...so..abt a mth??

as for those early birds on 1st july....some got their swim rd on 5th and 6th...followed by mgmt rd like ard 10th?? ..den medical is at ur own time...thereafter how long later SIA will take to call u is up to them...

to sum it.....
the earlier u go for the interview....the sooner u will get to start ur training...shld u complete all interviews smoothly. =)

gd luck!!


Thanks ntyj, advice well taken .

ntyj
Regular
Regular
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu, 27 Jul 2006

Postby ntyj » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:58 am

Punkman wrote:Sometimes it's not neccesary to read everything. cos i believe its more about the heart then just reading up and being armed with too much information. If you have what it takes, you'll make it because the interviewers can tell whether or not you're sincere or just putting up a false front.

Basically, the interview is like any job interview, dress appropriately, like ou are going for a business meeting. Show a positive attitude. and since this is a job in the service line, smile. =) now that is a very big tip.

The culture for all crew is to help each other out. So, its quite pointless to go through all the pages because frankly, 70% or even more of the post are not that useful actually.

It's ok to ask but some things you can find out for yourself. The library is a good place. It's good to ask intelligent quetions in any interview though.


yeah i agree.
Frankly, i do not know of this forum when i went for my interview..it was only after i got thru the 1st 3 interviews...den i checked out this forum...

so basically wad im trying to say is..
don read this forum especially the negative remarks...but go with ur all natural self...poositive attitude and expect nothing from it...

erm komi...156cm? there are girls who are that height in SIA..but rarely...
u might wan to give it a try...but even if u don get boot out during the first rd..they might eliminate u during the swim rd too..
jus don hold on to too much hope?
try it out den see bah?

komi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed, 23 Aug 2006

Postby komi » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 1:09 am

okay.. i guess i will just give it a shot..
rather try than guess! hehe

thanks for ur advice!

gliny
Regular
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed, 28 Jun 2006

Postby gliny » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 4:24 am

komi wrote:im 156.. :( do you think there is chance?


Hi,

my friend is barely 156. And he manage to make it in. So i guess, you may still stand a chance. Give it a shot. No harm trying?

*rachel*
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri, 19 May 2006

Postby *rachel* » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 9:17 am

Hi,

my friend is barely 156. And he manage to make it in. So i guess, you may still stand a chance. Give it a shot. No harm trying?


For every new upcoming SIA FA recruiment, peoples like to find out answer for thier questions. Some are asked to read from page 1 or 300 onwards. I have been reading this forum for long time starting from page 1 (although not every single pages). I hope that the information (below) that I have cam across reading this forum can help abit.

Face: Blemish scar - as long as it can be heal should be ok. If you passed the 1st -3rd interview with some healable skin defection, they will give you time to heal (a month or so). No information I have came across about what if it is still not heal after the time period they gave you.

Hand scar: Apparently those with visible hand scar are booted out.

Pimples on your back or skin defection on your feet ... Those are purely depends on your luck. Some get through some didn't.

Height: as Gliny said someone barely 156cm is in there. There are peoples shorter than 158cm in there. It's not so strict as compared to couple of years ago. If you go to Changi airport, you can find quite a number of them are not really 158cm. If you are not tall nough, make sure you have something else better that they want, they don't choose you based on your height only, it's the overall package.

Age: Non s'porean females - 26 or below ( actually was 25 or below, but some Malaysian who's turning 27 also got in- so I guess not so strict for Malaysian as well)! S'porean, forum said there are still peoples 29 or below passed the first interview, have they successfully made it through? I have not came across this in the forum. I am actually interested to find out if there is anyone age between 27-29 S'porean or Malaysian (ex-FA or non-ex-FA) made it it through?

Married women- Lower chance. Have not came across married women made it through all the interviews. Question will be asked is" are you plainning to have baby in the near furture?"

Dress code: Neat, business attire.

Walkin in interview: go on the first day so you wait less for your next interview.

Education qualification: Quite Strict. But go an try if you want to. I don't remember I came across anyone lower than the requeired Education qualification passed the interview - I might be wrong.

1st interview: Smile and no singligsh.

Water confidence test: Jump and no delay! This round, height will be measure again if you're not lucky, you will be booted out.

Kebaya test: Well, depends on your luck. you must look good in their Uniform! ( Apparently less strict now since July walk in !!!)

Managment interview: Hard to make comments for this.Sorry.

Tea Party: Depends on Your luck. They are watching you. Show you can fit in amongst those in the tea party...smile.

Above information if only from my memory of this forum. If anything wrong or inaccurate, please correct them :). Hope it helps those last minute people who are going on 26 and 27.

p/s: I am not a crew.

User avatar
Shreked
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2006
Location: In The Air

Postby Shreked » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:52 am

*rachel* wrote:
Hi,

my friend is barely 156. And he manage to make it in. So i guess, you may still stand a chance. Give it a shot. No harm trying?


For every new upcoming SIA FA recruiment, peoples like to find out answer for thier questions. Some are asked to read from page 1 or 300 onwards. I have been reading this forum for long time starting from page 1 (although not every single pages). I hope that the information (below) that I have cam across reading this forum can help abit.

Face: Blemish scar - as long as it can be heal should be ok. If you passed the 1st -3rd interview with some healable skin defection, they will give you time to heal (a month or so). No information I have came across about what if it is still not heal after the time period they gave you.

Hand scar: Apparently those with visible hand scar are booted out.

Pimples on your back or skin defection on your feet ... Those are purely depends on your luck. Some get through some didn't.

Height: as Gliny said someone barely 156cm is in there. There are peoples shorter than 158cm in there. It's not so strict as compared to couple of years ago. If you go to Changi airport, you can find quite a number of them are not really 158cm. If you are not tall nough, make sure you have something else better that they want, they don't choose you based on your height only, it's the overall package.

Age: Non s'porean females - 26 or below ( actually was 25 or below, but some Malaysian who's turning 27 also got in- so I guess not so strict for Malaysian as well)! S'porean, forum said there are still peoples 29 or below passed the first interview, have they successfully made it through? I have not came across this in the forum. I am actually interested to find out if there is anyone age between 27-29 S'porean or Malaysian (ex-FA or non-ex-FA) made it it through?

Married women- Lower chance. Have not came across married women made it through all the interviews. Question will be asked is" are you plainning to have baby in the near furture?"

Dress code: Neat, business attire.

Walkin in interview: go on the first day so you wait less for your next interview.

Education qualification: Quite Strict. But go an try if you want to. I don't remember I came across anyone lower than the requeired Education qualification passed the interview - I might be wrong.

1st interview: Smile and no singligsh.

Water confidence test: Jump and no delay! This round, height will be measure again if you're not lucky, you will be booted out.

Kebaya test: Well, depends on your luck. you must look good in their Uniform! ( Apparently less strict now since July walk in !!!)

Managment interview: Hard to make comments for this.Sorry.

Tea Party: Depends on Your luck. They are watching you. Show you can fit in amongst those in the tea party...smile.

Above information if only from my memory of this forum. If anything wrong or inaccurate, please correct them :). Hope it helps those last minute people who are going on 26 and 27.

p/s: I am not a crew.


Good Job Rachel! Im improving my background knowlegde of the interviews now..=)Thanks a lot!
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

reef
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed, 09 Aug 2006

Postby reef » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 1:03 pm

Adding to what Rachel said, I has previously post this on another forum and hence like to share with the aspiring air steward/stewardess. Pls note that part of the informations are gathered from a SIA reference book.


SIA looks for Cabin Crew applicants who have that empathy with people. They want to see whether the person is cheerful, friendly, humble. And most importantly, you have to be yourself. There are people who simply pretend to be too outgoing or too out to impress people.

The first round is the group interview where the interviewers assess the applicant's overall looks and personality and their command of English. This interview is not in depth. Interviewer also want to see whether you could carry out yourself well and your level of stress when they put u together with 9 other people unknown to you.

Rehearse how you want to intro yourself the night before. Try to be in the 50 - 70 seconds range. Make sure your speech is clear and steady. You might want to highlight certain strong points of yourself. A common mistake that some people did was they talk about one subject, move on to another subject but realise that she has left out some points on the previous subject. Don't go back, just skip and go to the next one. Don't forget to breathe, you will see some panting while giving their intro..now u know why.

If successful in the first round, you will move on to the kebaya round. (This is based on the last intake..for female applicants only) Here they will check if you look presentable in your kebaya....you will be accessed in terms of posture, gait and general looks. But not to worry, passing rate is high.

If you passed, you move on to the next round. One-on-one interview. (This could be on the same day or arrange another day) The interviewer will ask in-depth questions to assess whether the applicant has the core valus and competencies SIA desires. Remember to smile. If you cannot answer any question, just be humble and tell them you do not have the answer but will read out more on it, etc.

When you clear this round, you will proceed with your water swimming confidence, skin check and psychometric test. Height and weight will be taken in this round. Applicants will wear a life jacket and required to jump a height of 3 metres into the pool. Because successful applicants will later, as part of their training, have to learn how to help passengers during an emergency evacuation on water, they cannot have a fear of water or heights. Phsycometric test is just a personality test. Reference will be make to this test during your management round. There is no right or wrong answer. Just your personality. (Psychometric test is the only non elimination round)

If you clear the above rounds, you will then proceed to the management round. (on another day) The senior vice president (cabin crew) and one of the senior staff will interview all applicants. This is again an in-depth interview in order to ensure that the right applicants are picked. You should read out more current news on SIA and most importantly, smile.

After the mangement round, you are almost there. If you pass the mgt round, you proceed to tea party. Thou this is a more relaxing round, don't take it lightly. The tea party is just another test. This is for the borderline cases where the interviewers have certain doubts about you and would like to see you in a more natural setting. Be prepared with some intelligent questions. Please don't ask about your pay, allowances, benefits etc. Intelligent questions.

When you clear all the above rounds, you will be asked to attend a medical check up within 2 days. You should receive a call within a month for your training date should you clear your medical and all necessary background checks.

The rigorous selection process ensures with reasonable cetrainty that SIA hires the cabin crew it desires and eliminates less suitable candidates.

So once your get there, hohoho congratulations...It's time to party!!

ntyj
Regular
Regular
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu, 27 Jul 2006

Postby ntyj » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 2:24 pm

reef wrote:Adding to what Rachel said, I has previously post this on another forum and hence like to share with the aspiring air steward/stewardess. Pls note that part of the informations are gathered from a SIA reference book.


SIA looks for Cabin Crew applicants who have that empathy with people. They want to see whether the person is cheerful, friendly, humble. And most importantly, you have to be yourself. There are people who simply pretend to be too outgoing or too out to impress people.

The first round is the group interview where the interviewers assess the applicant's overall looks and personality and their command of English. This interview is not in depth. Interviewer also want to see whether you could carry out yourself well and your level of stress when they put u together with 9 other people unknown to you.

Rehearse how you want to intro yourself the night before. Try to be in the 50 - 70 seconds range. Make sure your speech is clear and steady. You might want to highlight certain strong points of yourself. A common mistake that some people did was they talk about one subject, move on to another subject but realise that she has left out some points on the previous subject. Don't go back, just skip and go to the next one. Don't forget to breathe, you will see some panting while giving their intro..now u know why.

If successful in the first round, you will move on to the kebaya round. (This is based on the last intake..for female applicants only) Here they will check if you look presentable in your kebaya....you will be accessed in terms of posture, gait and general looks. But not to worry, passing rate is high.

If you passed, you move on to the next round. One-on-one interview. (This could be on the same day or arrange another day) The interviewer will ask in-depth questions to assess whether the applicant has the core valus and competencies SIA desires. Remember to smile. If you cannot answer any question, just be humble and tell them you do not have the answer but will read out more on it, etc.

When you clear this round, you will proceed with your water swimming confidence, skin check and psychometric test. Height and weight will be taken in this round. Applicants will wear a life jacket and required to jump a height of 3 metres into the pool. Because successful applicants will later, as part of their training, have to learn how to help passengers during an emergency evacuation on water, they cannot have a fear of water or heights. Phsycometric test is just a personality test. Reference will be make to this test during your management round. There is no right or wrong answer. Just your personality. (Psychometric test is the only non elimination round)

If you clear the above rounds, you will then proceed to the management round. (on another day) The senior vice president (cabin crew) and one of the senior staff will interview all applicants. This is again an in-depth interview in order to ensure that the right applicants are picked. You should read out more current news on SIA and most importantly, smile.

After the mangement round, you are almost there. If you pass the mgt round, you proceed to tea party. Thou this is a more relaxing round, don't take it lightly. The tea party is just another test. This is for the borderline cases where the interviewers have certain doubts about you and would like to see you in a more natural setting. Be prepared with some intelligent questions. Please don't ask about your pay, allowances, benefits etc. Intelligent questions.

When you clear all the above rounds, you will be asked to attend a medical check up within 2 days. You should receive a call within a month for your training date should you clear your medical and all necessary background checks.

The rigorous selection process ensures with reasonable cetrainty that SIA hires the cabin crew it desires and eliminates less suitable candidates.

So once your get there, hohoho congratulations...It's time to party!!


thanks rachel and reef!
the information are sure useful for those who are going for the upcoming interviews....

gd luck to those who are trying this weekend =)

komi
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed, 23 Aug 2006

Postby komi » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 8:02 pm

gliny wrote:
komi wrote:im 156.. :( do you think there is chance?


Hi,

my friend is barely 156. And he manage to make it in. So i guess, you may still stand a chance. Give it a shot. No harm trying?


thanks alot! now i feel more confident with trying!

User avatar
sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri, 07 Apr 2006
Location: 2012

Postby sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:50 pm

komi wrote:im 156.. :( do you think there is chance?



Not to be mean or anything,but read the criteria given.

The minimum height limit is 158 cm.(If I'm not wrong)

If you want to avoid dissapointment,you can call up SIA and ask them.

Because they will require you to tip toe and touch a certain point during the height taking...So if you think your arms are long enough,go and give it a try(Nothing to lose) at least you gave it a shot..But to avoid dissapointment you can call them up and ask personally...

Good luck.
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

reef
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed, 09 Aug 2006

Postby reef » Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:18 am

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi wrote:
komi wrote:im 156.. :( do you think there is chance?



Not to be mean or anything,but read the criteria given.

The minimum height limit is 158 cm.(If I'm not wrong)

If you want to avoid dissapointment,you can call up SIA and ask them.

Because they will require you to tip toe and touch a certain point during the height taking...So if you think your arms are long enough,go and give it a try(Nothing to lose) at least you gave it a shot..But to avoid dissapointment you can call them up and ask personally...

Good luck.


I don't think anyone should call them up on such trival matters. They (Cabin crew section) are extremely busy and I dont think such questions will be entertained. Imagine the no. of call they will receive if everyone want to ask about questions that has already been clearly stated in the requirement.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests