Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
blur me
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed, 26 Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: curious

Postby blur me » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:13 pm

[color=blue]Thanks to zoergal n vt 4 d info of my previous question. anyway i still have a question. Will they check our skin espcially our face in the first round? There's a pimples on my face!!! arghh .. Need to wear formal attire for the interview? But my friend told me SIA can wear casual. Sorry for disturbing.[/color]

Brian CZC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 25 Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: curious

Postby Brian CZC » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:16 pm

blur me wrote:Thanks to zoergal n vt 4 d info of my previous question. anyway i still have a question. Will they check our skin espcially our face in the first round? There's a pimples on my face!!! arghh .. Need to wear formal attire for the interview? But my friend told me SIA can wear casual. Sorry for disturbing.


hmmm... better not. Last time I advanced to round 2 and while waiting, one Senior Air Steward was practically lecturing a guy who wore casual (jeans) in front of all of who were waiting there. Didn't know he got in or not but he does look quite handsome.

User avatar
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon, 21 Nov 2005
Location: Singapore / United Arab Emirates

Re: curious

Postby singaporegrrl » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 1:09 pm

blur me wrote:Thanks to zoergal n vt 4 d info of my previous question. anyway i still have a question. Will they check our skin espcially our face in the first round? There's a pimples on my face!!! arghh .. Need to wear formal attire for the interview? But my friend told me SIA can wear casual. Sorry for disturbing.


This issue shouldn't be a question anymore. You know that a job as a flight attendant will invite thousands of hopefuls. You only have a few minutes to shine in front of the interviewers. The first thing they look is your first impression. The competition is tight so you need to be sellable. With an impressive external presentation and impressive personality and credentials, without a doubt, you'll slide through that round. Remember that the 1st round is one of the most crucial phase where you have a couple of thousand to compete with.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

VT
Regular
Regular
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu, 02 Mar 2006

Postby VT » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 2:33 pm

vivi wrote:
VT wrote:Hmmmm... So, is there any kind soul here that can give me advice on how to choose between SQ, emirates and cathay? I've put up a post on this before but no one bother about me. :( too engrossed in other topics.
I'm having a dilemma due to the following factors:
1) Have a personal goal to save up money.
2) Doesn't feel safe or comfortable with signing a bond although have the intention of staying for few years.
3) Has no prob or commitment in having a base overseas.
And any other factors which you guys can think of.
I'm not sure if i should go for the interview this sat for SQ or should i just aim at emirates only, which is difficult to get in, plus their recruitment is lesser. Cathay, i'm not sure cos can't find details on their web, dun even know if they have a bond ot not.
Taking into account that i'm prepared to be a crew and fully understand what responsibilities and situations a crew will face.
What will your advice be?
Is there anyone out there who have the same prob as me? What will you do?
SOMEBODY HELP ME.. :?


Hi gal FYI:
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome candidates from all walks of life to apply for the position so long as they are able to fulfill our minimum entry requirements as stated on http://careers.cathaypacific.com. However, we do not have any current plans to extend our recruitment activities to Singapore. If you are applying to Hong Kong base, you must first possess the Right of Abode in this territory (carrying Permanent Resident status) and must also satisfy other entry requirements.
Thank you again for your interest in Cathay Pacific
hope it helps :wink:


Hey thanks... :) i just receive a reply from them regaring my queries, their reply almost same as yours too. Hmm.. but one thing that's weird. They say it's a three year binding contract but the employer or employee can give a period of notice if they want to terminate the service. So it's not considered a bond? I tot contract and bond is almost the same? :???:

Brian CZC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 25 Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Brian CZC » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 2:48 pm

VT wrote:
vivi wrote:
VT wrote:Hmmmm... So, is there any kind soul here that can give me advice on how to choose between SQ, emirates and cathay? I've put up a post on this before but no one bother about me. :( too engrossed in other topics.
I'm having a dilemma due to the following factors:
1) Have a personal goal to save up money.
2) Doesn't feel safe or comfortable with signing a bond although have the intention of staying for few years.
3) Has no prob or commitment in having a base overseas.
And any other factors which you guys can think of.
I'm not sure if i should go for the interview this sat for SQ or should i just aim at emirates only, which is difficult to get in, plus their recruitment is lesser. Cathay, i'm not sure cos can't find details on their web, dun even know if they have a bond ot not.
Taking into account that i'm prepared to be a crew and fully understand what responsibilities and situations a crew will face.
What will your advice be?
Is there anyone out there who have the same prob as me? What will you do?
SOMEBODY HELP ME.. :?


Hi gal FYI:
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome candidates from all walks of life to apply for the position so long as they are able to fulfill our minimum entry requirements as stated on http://careers.cathaypacific.com. However, we do not have any current plans to extend our recruitment activities to Singapore. If you are applying to Hong Kong base, you must first possess the Right of Abode in this territory (carrying Permanent Resident status) and must also satisfy other entry requirements.
Thank you again for your interest in Cathay Pacific
hope it helps :wink:


Hey thanks... :) i just receive a reply from them regaring my queries, their reply almost same as yours too. Hmm.. but one thing that's weird. They say it's a three year binding contract but the employer or employee can give a period of notice if they want to terminate the service. So it's not considered a bond? I tot contract and bond is almost the same? :???:


ALMOST. ACCORDINGLY:
Contract you can leave anytime provided you give them notice period based on the Employment contract which both you and the employer signed. No penalty.
Bond you cannot leave until the bond has been fulfilled unless you pay them back the amount. Penalty usually based on number of months' pay owing.
But what the letter replied... hmmm.... :???:

zoergal
Regular
Regular
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed, 28 Sep 2005

Re: curious

Postby zoergal » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 3:00 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:
blur me wrote:Thanks to zoergal n vt 4 d info of my previous question. anyway i still have a question. Will they check our skin espcially our face in the first round? There's a pimples on my face!!! arghh .. Need to wear formal attire for the interview? But my friend told me SIA can wear casual. Sorry for disturbing.


This issue shouldn't be a question anymore. You know that a job as a flight attendant will invite thousands of hopefuls. You only have a few minutes to shine in front of the interviewers. The first thing they look is your first impression. The competition is tight so you need to be sellable. With an impressive external presentation and impressive personality and credentials, without a doubt, you'll slide through that round. Remember that the 1st round is one of the most crucial phase where you have a couple of thousand to compete with.


hi blur me,

I totally agreed with singaporegrrl. U got to look presentable but not really that casual...i advise that u wear a blouse and skirt/pant ..blazer is not that necessary.PLEASE IN MIND, DUN WEAR JEANS. It is considered as no respect to the interviewers....ermm, as for your pimples.. If possible, try to conceal it with foundation or concealer. ..
As far as i see, usually Round 1 they dun really check your skin as they will be sitting 1metre away from you. Their main priority is to see how u present yourself in front of the other 9 candidates and how well u speak and communicate...good lucks ...ger!!!! :lol:

VT
Regular
Regular
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu, 02 Mar 2006

Postby VT » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 3:07 pm

ALMOST. ACCORDINGLY:
Contract you can leave anytime provided you give them notice period based on the Employment contract which both you and the employer signed. No penalty.
Bond you cannot leave until the bond has been fulfilled unless you pay them back the amount. Penalty usually based on number of months' pay owing.
But what the letter replied... hmmm.... :???:[/quote]

Hi Brian CZC, FYI: i emailed cathay to ask them about the remunerations and contract info cos their website is not as detailed as Emirates. Here's what they reply..

Thank you for your email.
We will offer a competitive remuneration package based on business and manpower plans.
The three-year contract is legally binding, but either the Company or employee may terminate the contract of employment by giving the other party sufficient notice period as clearly stated in the contract.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome candidates from all walks of life to apply for the position so long as they are able to fulfill our minimum entry requirements as stated on http://careers.cathaypacific.com. However, we do not have any current plans to extend our recruitment activities to Singapore.
Thank you again for your interest in Cathay Pacific

Brian CZC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 25 Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Brian CZC » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 3:20 pm

VT wrote:Hi Brian CZC, FYI: i emailed cathay to ask them about the remunerations and contract info cos their website is not as detailed as Emirates. Here's what they reply..


Yap. I was only refering to the slight differences I know between Contract and Bond. I may be wrong. So in case you are given the contract then you know can resign in the middle or not.

But honestly, contract or bond, i won't mind! 8-)

blur me
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed, 26 Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: curious

Postby blur me » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 5:29 pm

got it :wink: .. zeorgal and singaporegrrl. is there anyone going for his week interview? good luck ya !! i wil try my best with a simple n neat attire. but scare i will change my mind last minute. still consider bout it ...

VT
Regular
Regular
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu, 02 Mar 2006

Postby VT » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 5:59 pm

Brian CZC wrote:
VT wrote:Hi Brian CZC, FYI: i emailed cathay to ask them about the remunerations and contract info cos their website is not as detailed as Emirates. Here's what they reply..


Yap. I was only refering to the slight differences I know between Contract and Bond. I may be wrong. So in case you are given the contract then you know can resign in the middle or not.

But honestly, contract or bond, i won't mind! 8-)


Hmm.. You are right regarding the diff between contract and bond. Soyou going for this weekend's interview? :)

VT
Regular
Regular
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu, 02 Mar 2006

Re: curious

Postby VT » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 6:00 pm

blur me wrote:got it :wink: .. zeorgal and singaporegrrl. is there anyone going for his week interview? good luck ya !! i wil try my best with a simple n neat attire. but scare i will change my mind last minute. still consider bout it ...


I'm considering.... :D

SQGuy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 09 Apr 2006

Re: curious

Postby SQGuy » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 9:04 pm

zoergal wrote:
hi blur me,

I totally agreed with singaporegrrl. U got to look presentable but not really that casual...i advise that u wear a blouse and skirt/pant ..blazer is not that necessary.PLEASE IN MIND, DUN WEAR JEANS. It is considered as no respect to the interviewers....ermm, as for your pimples.. If possible, try to conceal it with foundation or concealer. ..
As far as i see, usually Round 1 they dun really check your skin as they will be sitting 1metre away from you. Their main priority is to see how u present yourself in front of the other 9 candidates and how well u speak and communicate...good lucks ...ger!!!! :lol:


hmm... you just need to impress the interviewer. Not so much about what you wear, as long as you are properly dress. A well pressed long sleeves tug out with a pair of dark color jeans and black leather shoes can be very smart looking. Its how you can match your wardrobe.

Speak well and confidently. Simile and maintain eye contact with the interviewer. If you are pleasant enough you should not have a problem making it through the 1st round. All the best people. :)

lindylim
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon, 10 Apr 2006

Re: curious

Postby lindylim » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 9:45 pm

zoergal wrote:
singaporegrrl wrote:
blur me wrote:Thanks to zoergal n vt 4 d info of my previous question. anyway i still have a question. Will they check our skin espcially our face in the first round? There's a pimples on my face!!! arghh .. Need to wear formal attire for the interview? But my friend told me SIA can wear casual. Sorry for disturbing.


This issue shouldn't be a question anymore. You know that a job as a flight attendant will invite thousands of hopefuls. You only have a few minutes to shine in front of the interviewers. The first thing they look is your first impression. The competition is tight so you need to be sellable. With an impressive external presentation and impressive personality and credentials, without a doubt, you'll slide through that round. Remember that the 1st round is one of the most crucial phase where you have a couple of thousand to compete with.


hi blur me,

I totally agreed with singaporegrrl. U got to look presentable but not really that casual...i advise that u wear a blouse and skirt/pant ..blazer is not that necessary.PLEASE IN MIND, DUN WEAR JEANS. It is considered as no respect to the interviewers....ermm, as for your pimples.. If possible, try to conceal it with foundation or concealer. ..
As far as i see, usually Round 1 they dun really check your skin as they will be sitting 1metre away from you. Their main priority is to see how u present yourself in front of the other 9 candidates and how well u speak and communicate...good lucks ...ger!!!! :lol:



i think it's otherwise. i went for the Feb Walk-In interview, majority of us wore formal. But in a group i saw whom they made it to the 2nd round, some of them were wearing shorts.. :shock: i think 50% is based on ur 'presentation', 30% on ur appearance an 20% on the posture... :D

User avatar
sass&bide
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 25 Feb 2006
Location: Sg

Postby sass&bide » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:34 am

How was the previous walk-in interview conducted?
Did everyone queue up to get a number? Then, submit your documents & have your height taken? Anyone got turned away @ the door?

I''ve only got 4 O'level credits and will only complete my p/time diploma in a few mths. Been hesistant about trying since the last recruitment....
I walk this empty street
On the boulevard of broken dreams
When the city sleeps and I’m the only one
And I walk alone..

simplexxmind
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 24 Apr 2006

Postby simplexxmind » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 1:26 am

what are the chances of a cabin crew from JAL trying for SQ? :?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest