Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
louisv
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon, 27 Feb 2006

Postby louisv » Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:33 pm

Hi Any girls went for the mangement interview?
What is the interview like?
Thanks a lot! :D

jencrs
Regular
Regular
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon, 27 Feb 2006

Postby jencrs » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 3:18 am

Plavt wrote:These days the figure for Pilot error is nearer to 75%.

Plavt.

Quite right, which explains the increasing focus on Crew Resource Management by airlines like SIA. Modern aircraft properly maintained have several fail-safes and back-ups in case of failures in essential equipment. Most accidents occur because of a tactical error by the captain (often the failure of initiating the correct response), a failure of the FO to challenge such errors, improper procedures etc.

User avatar
Shreked
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2006
Location: In The Air

Postby Shreked » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:50 pm

Just curious..I once stumbled into a Singaporean Emirates Airlines Stewardess blog. I found out that she's married to a Singaporean Emirates Arilines Steward and both are still working In Emirates Airlines. From what i know is that FA must not marry as long as they are working as a FA.So? :?

User avatar
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon, 21 Nov 2005
Location: Singapore / United Arab Emirates

Postby singaporegrrl » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:54 pm

Shreked wrote:Just curious..I once stumbled into a Singaporean Emirates Airlines Stewardess blog. I found out that she's married to a Singaporean Emirates Arilines Steward and both are still working In Emirates Airlines. From what i know is that FA must not marry as long as they are working as a FA.So? :?


That is not true. There are alot of married flight attendants from various airlines. In fact, some of them joined after they have been married.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

User avatar
Shreked
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2006
Location: In The Air

Postby Shreked » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 1:18 pm

BUt,can they bear a child while still in the airlines or maybe have already beared a child?

User avatar
donno
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed, 25 Jan 2006
Location: somewhere on Earth..

Postby donno » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 1:47 pm

From what I know, SIA doesnt allow female applicants who is married. Or already have a child.

This applies to many airlines.

But once they are confirmed FA of the airline, they are allowed to get married and have children. But for stewardesses who are pregnant, they will be grounded. After they have given birth, they will continue flying but with some conditions.
10 April 2006

User avatar
Shreked
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2006
Location: In The Air

Postby Shreked » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 2:08 pm

OK.Thanks!

User avatar
blancD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat, 25 Feb 2006

Postby blancD » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 3:32 pm

how long is must we serve for the SIA service bond?
is it as i heard a two years contract?
"City of Ang3Ls"

User avatar
singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon, 21 Nov 2005
Location: Singapore / United Arab Emirates

Postby singaporegrrl » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 5:11 pm

donno wrote:From what I know, SIA doesnt allow female applicants who is married. Or already have a child.

This applies to many airlines.

But once they are confirmed FA of the airline, they are allowed to get married and have children. But for stewardesses who are pregnant, they will be grounded. After they have given birth, they will continue flying but with some conditions.


I am not sure about SIA but many other airlines allow people to apply even when they are already married. Emirates would be an example.

Yes flight attendants who are pregnant are to be grounded, or worse, terminated. From what I know, SIA introduced a "Flying Mother" agreement that allows former stewardesses who became mothers to return to flying. Several conditions apply for them to qualify. They must be at least of leading ranking when they resigned, their absence from duty must not exceed two years and they must be able to pass a refresher course and still be "in shape" in the SIA uniform.

Oh yah! I came across a few blogs of SIA flight attendants as well.
http://missyrea.blogspot.com/
http://-sqcraze-.blogspot.com/
http://www.hiddina.blogspot.com/
http://uber-bebe.blogspot.com/

The first two are still in training but already started their SNY flights. From the similarity of their entries and dates of entries, I assume they are from the same batch. The 3rd one have been flying for awhile now. And the last one have just been promoted to LSS. Enjoy!
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4290
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 5:53 pm

Singaporegrrl,

British Airways is a prime example the reason being the sex discrimination act which exists in this country. Some maybe interested to know that this airline has no upper age limit for cabin crew applicants - under about 60 that is.

Plavt.

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 6:13 pm

Plavt wrote:Singaporegrrl,

British Airways is a prime example the reason being the sex discrimination act which exists in this country. Some maybe interested to know that this airline has no upper age limit for cabin crew applicants - under about 60 that is.

Plavt.


This may surprise many , but most of the US-based carriers DO practise age discrimination - Flight Attendants have to be at least 107 years old, over 100kgs and have a waist measurement of 207cm. The blue rinse hair and nasty attitude are NOT optional.

Seriously, I was flying to San Francisco a few months back and my bloody company booked me on UA. While settling in, an elderly gentlemen on the other side of the aisle needed help placing a small briefcase in the overhead luggage compartment and asked the nearest FA (a guy).

His response:

'Uuuh, sorry, we don't do lifting'

And this is in Business Class

Yes, yes, I did place it for him.
One in the hand is worth two of something

User avatar
Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2005
Location: Still looking for Paradise

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 6:23 pm

What happened to the V man? With that ugly mug of an avatar, you'll scare off everyone! :lol:
One man's meat is another's poison.

User avatar
insight
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun, 01 Jan 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby insight » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 6:28 pm

Hi did anyone know during the management round, are the interviewers going to refer to the employment application form to ask questions? some said they do refer to the psychometric test's results but i wonder if they also refer to the employment application form?

User avatar
insight
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun, 01 Jan 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby insight » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 6:36 pm

hmmm.... i am refering to the employment application form which we'll have to bring home and fill in after we got through the kebaya fit test.... do we have to submit the form before we go in for our management interview?

User avatar
tiki
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon, 22 Aug 2005
Location: third guy from the left
Contact:

Postby tiki » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 7:32 pm

Quasimodo wrote:
Plavt wrote:Singaporegrrl,

British Airways is a prime example the reason being the sex discrimination act which exists in this country. Some maybe interested to know that this airline has no upper age limit for cabin crew applicants - under about 60 that is.

Plavt.


This may surprise many , but most of the US-based carriers DO practise age discrimination - Flight Attendants have to be at least 107 years old, over 100kgs and have a waist measurement of 207cm. The blue rinse hair and nasty attitude are NOT optional.

Seriously, I was flying to San Francisco a few months back and my bloody company booked me on UA. While settling in, an elderly gentlemen on the other side of the aisle needed help placing a small briefcase in the overhead luggage compartment and asked the nearest FA (a guy).

His response:

'Uuuh, sorry, we don't do lifting'

And this is in Business Class

Yes, yes, I did place it for him.


Quasi....

you should've asked the FA, whether the planes do actually fly. :wink:
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests