Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:22 pm

donno wrote:in the year 2007, SIA will upgrade its requirements for cabin crew due to overwhelming number of applicants.

i heard it will be something like this...

Degree preferably with Honour..

Plavt.Not true, people with degree certificates normally seek higher level jobs such as marketing, management or research. A requirement such as this would be far too high for a flight attendant. Those who have degrees and work as flight attendants usually do so for the experience.
Ability to speak 3 languages..
Cannot possibly be true, the entrance age for flight attendants is only 18. You will not find many 18 year olds with proficiency in 3 languages in the way you quote here.
At least2 years experience in hospitality related industry..
For female, minimum height is 1.70m...
Yes but also public service or customer relations, in short anything in which you deal with the public.
I was in the lift at airport and i heard two cabin crew executives and a chief stewardess talking among themselves..
I do not doubt that you did but remember you will not have heard the full story.
There would have been much more to that conversation than you actually heard, beware this is how rumors start.

Just a few points you are unaware of.

I'M*(!_!)*Julie
Regular
Regular

Post by I'M*(!_!)*Julie » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:30 pm

Paige wrote:
I'M*(!_!)*Julie wrote:
Cheesie wrote:Hi guys, i'm new here.. but got look through quite a few days takie over here! and relize that there a recuitment last month.. anyone knows when the next recuitment? i gonna give it a try!! haha.. must take good care of mr keke.. :shock:
Hi Cheesie!

Although I'm not very sure when is the next recruitment but no worries as there will be alot of recruitment drive during these few months so no fret ok! Good luck!

Best Regards,
Julie Tan
Hey Julie,

Welcome back!!! so happy to see u posting in the forum again...

Cheers!
Paige :wink:
Dear Paige,

haha.. not that my pc is ok. but using Brother's laptop. heez... I'm glad to be back too! But this forum is not like used to be :(
Remember, it used to be quite cheery and uplifting??

Best Regards,
Julie Tan
Never Regret, As Life Is Too Short For Regrets!

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:49 pm

I agree with Plavt. How do you know they're cabin crew execs anyways? What donno say may never be true or they will need to raise the pay coz indeed Singapore has one of the best education in the world. Why would Singaporeans who have a degree, especially with honours apply for a job as FA and get only S$3.5k a month? Have you read that SIA has discussed many times on cost-cutting? So it really don't make any sense.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

reenita

speechless

Post by reenita » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:01 pm

if u are a degree holder it really doesnt guarantee you a 3.5k salary....i dont remember any friends earning that much when they graduate...unless you are doing sales then yup thats possible...sia recruits FA from india and i think the req is a degree holder....

Come to think of it,its ridiculous to put such hire qualifications for being a FA..and I dont think such a high qualification make someone do the job well!!!

reenita

attn:kiki

Post by reenita » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:13 pm

kiki_lim81

hi there kiki,

i send in my application last year to sia via email and at that time there was no recruitment drive being scheduled on the website...the next recruitment they invited me to attend.....so its not true they just throw away your application...

This happend to me twice last year when i just went online and submit my application online and they invited me for the next interview..which i didnt attend :P .....just send it online and dont post it!

prince

Post by prince » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:10 am

Singaporegrrl: u can just send in even if there is no recruitment. they will kep ur application n send u invite during a recruitment. that's what happen to me n a lot of frends.. so they wont throw ur application away.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:37 am

prince wrote:Singaporegrrl: u can just send in even if there is no recruitment. they will kep ur application n send u invite during a recruitment. that's what happen to me n a lot of frends.. so they wont throw ur application away.
Oh this isn't a case for SilkAir. I never get a reply whenever I send in my application outside of the recruitment drive period. I can't apply for SQ as I only have an ITE cert.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

jozo

SIA

Post by jozo » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 2:15 am

I know 2 class are starting in Feb - 7 and 13 feb. Anymore class starting in fact besides the 2 mentioned dates ?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:34 am

Plavt:
Quote:
At least2 years experience in hospitality related industry..

Yes but also public service or customer relations, in short anything in which you deal with the public.

:lol:
One in the hand is worth two of something

prince

Re: SIA

Post by prince » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:06 am

jozo wrote:I know 2 class are starting in Feb - 7 and 13 feb. Anymore class starting in fact besides the 2 mentioned dates ?
if im not wrong, i think got one in 24feb and one in early march. hopefully, i can be fitted into eithr one of these. most prob early march i think.

Deshi

Post by Deshi » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 2:28 pm

Hey is there anyone going for the final interview on the 8th of feb??just got my email...

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 5:52 pm

[donno]
singaporegrrl wrote:Female minimum height of 1.7m? Where can you get Asian applicants of at least that height? Probably those who don't make it to Miss Universe or Miss World pagents should apply? Haha!
Very amusing response singaporegrrl . 1.7 is only 3"("=inches '=feet imperial units - shows my age) short of 5'10 the height that was once required for the The City of London police force (they had to be taller than their Metropolitan colleauges)!*

The airline as you say would have a hard time finding females or even males with those attributes even here!

City of London: The square mile around St.Paul's Cathedral incorporating postcodes EC1 and EC2

Plavt.

bent

Post by bent » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 8:43 pm

hi all,

i am just wondering what kind of educational qualifications is required to be a flight attendant

does the course one take in uni affect the chances?

and what is the avg 'lifespan' of a male flight attendant?

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 9:09 pm

hi bent..

i think u wana be steward..

the requirements are..........
minimum height of 1.65m
minimum A level with credit in GP
OR
a diploma from local POLYTECHNIC..
must complete NS or exempted..

preference will be given to those who are experience in dealing with people or can speak a foreign language...

Stewardesses work based on contract..

But STEWARDS can work till retirement at the age of 60 i think...

how old are u bent?? and when do u wanna apply for SIA?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 29 Jan 2006 9:19 pm

bent wrote:hi all,

i am just wondering what kind of educational qualifications is required to be a flight attendant
Have look at the airline's website: informtion you require is there.

and what is the avg 'lifespan' of a male flight attendant?
How long is a piece of string?

Plavt.