Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
triz

Postby triz » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 1:04 am

Will SIA look into our grades that we score or just a cert?

rita_jean

Postby rita_jean » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 1:24 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks M for answering my question! That was for my friend. I do hope and pray that you get in this time round! You have such patience and a sincere desire to help everyone who has problems! that is a virtue!
Well, the last time I applied to SIA, I submitted my application form 2 days late - reason being that the mailbox was full. I did get an interview appointment but it was after the last day that official notifications were sent out. I have to say, it is VERY important to be polite and SMILE at EVERYONE when you get to the building. During the first round, it was a group interview of ard 10 girls and we had a panel of 3 interviewers. At random we were picked to answer a couple of questions pertaining to ourselves as well as an issue. It can be as challenging as my friends' who was asked about thier opinions on the IRs in Sentosa and Marina. I would not say I spoke in perfect English (nervous mah) but i guess my answer was quite sufficient. Only myself and another girl got through to the personal interview. That was a little nerve wrecking but i took a risk and cracked some jokes cos there was so much tension in the room. I got through till the next round. Everything went smoothly even at psychomatrix. The sad thing is that when the time for the management round came, I wasnt in Singapore and had to postpone it for 3 months. I think that my notice of interview appointment for the management round would be after the initial interviews are over. However, I am in a conundrum. While waiting for the interview to arrive, I have been recently offered two seperate jobs which are both alluring and have long term career potential. Both pay exceptionally well ( > $3K ) and it is in MNCs. Both will have the prospect of travelling internationally as well. My family strongly encouraged me not to be a cabin crew- earn a lower wage, and do menial tasks but to join an MNC in an managerial position. But my dream is just to fly to different countries and to offer exceptional customer service. although SIA is not long term, it is something I would like to have accomplished in my life. I am at the cross-roads and if i work in the MNCs, by the time i'm out, i might be not be eligible for it. besides i'm so near to reaching my dream. but what if i reject the job offers and do not get through the final management round? i'll be left with nothing.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 6:21 am

rita_jean wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks M for answering my question! That was for my friend. I do hope and pray that you get in this time round! You have such patience and a sincere desire to help everyone who has problems! that is a virtue!
Well, the last time I applied to SIA, I submitted my application form 2 days late - reason being that the mailbox was full. I did get an interview appointment but it was after the last day that official notifications were sent out. I have to say, it is VERY important to be polite and SMILE at EVERYONE when you get to the building. During the first round, it was a group interview of ard 10 girls and we had a panel of 3 interviewers. At random we were picked to answer a couple of questions pertaining to ourselves as well as an issue. It can be as challenging as my friends' who was asked about thier opinions on the IRs in Sentosa and Marina. I would not say I spoke in perfect English (nervous mah) but i guess my answer was quite sufficient. Only myself and another girl got through to the personal interview. That was a little nerve wrecking but i took a risk and cracked some jokes because there was so much tension in the room. I got through till the next round. Everything went smoothly even at psychomatrix. The sad thing is that when the time for the management round came, I wasnt in Singapore and had to postpone it for 3 months. I think that my notice of interview appointment for the management round would be after the initial interviews are over. However, I am in a conundrum. While waiting for the interview to arrive, I have been recently offered two seperate jobs which are both alluring and have long term career potential. Both pay exceptionally well ( > $3K ) and it is in MNCs. Both will have the prospect of travelling internationally as well. My family strongly encouraged me not to be a cabin crew- earn a lower wage, and do menial tasks but to join an MNC in an managerial position. But my dream is just to fly to different countries and to offer exceptional customer service. although SIA is not long term, it is something I would like to have accomplished in my life. I am at the cross-roads and if i work in the MNCs, by the time i'm out, i might be not be eligible for it. besides i'm so near to reaching my dream. but what if i reject the job offers and do not get through the final management round? i'll be left with nothing.

Cruel as it seems, you will have to consider the fact that you have been offered two jobs, not a common event in many peoples lives, struggling to get one is the norm. SIA have not offered you a job and they might not, the way in which they select their cabin crew is an enormous mystery to many and often those who seem suitable fail. In your shoes I would take a job I had been offered and then if you really want to continue your application to SIA (quietly if that is possible .i.e. don't make it known to colleagues). However, do consider the fact that cabin crew do not always have the glamorous life that people imagine. When you fly to a foreign country, do you really see it? When the crew fly to London I know they only have two nights here - when they land and you likely be exhausted, the following day and then you fly back the following day on another 13 hour flight - not much time for fun. Where could you go in that time - the major tourists areas - ok if that's what appeals to you. You would probably have more experience of another country in those other jobs. Consider your future although I don't really know living in the UK, life in Singapore seems overly harsh in some ways. There seems to be this thing of achieving your 'goal' by the time you are thirty in a country that has no social security system.

I think you may find SIA want girls who are biding their time until they find a partner. I do not know if that is the case of course but it seems quite likely given what a pilot says on his website. Best wishes in your chosen course of action.

Plavt.

ducatiwins24

Cheap IDD call to Yur Love One as well as local call?

Postby ducatiwins24 » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 6:55 am

Check out this interesting technology. Make a call using SMS or simply dial a number or simply use the MSN Messenger on the internet to trigger a call-back to your mobile phone at only Singapore 5cts/min. There is no need to change your existing number from M1, Starhub or Singtel! You can also make affordable international call to your friends and relative using this service and you will be able to save a whopping 50%-75% on your local and IDD call.

Detail of the inernational rates offered by OSMS is found in the following link:
http://www.osmscard.com/rates.php

Are you currently paying 10¢ to 22¢ per minute for your outgoing mobile
phone calls? If your current mobile phone plan do not charge you for
incoming calls, here's a way to practically turn your outgoing call into
an incoming call and pay only S$0.05¢ per minute!

Details of the service can be found in the following link:
http://www.onlinesrs.com/osms/winston

Sshh

Postby Sshh » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 8:36 am

Looks like the interview timing is already close to 12.. anyone knows up to what time these interviews last? And how many per slot? .. Then maybe the rest of us can guage our chances.

bryocketh

Postby bryocketh » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:03 am

sunsweet wrote:hi there im new here

i went for thursday silkair interview. was alright. they asked alot questions like if im prepared to cut my hair short if i were told to, and i married? do i have a bf?anyways im only 21 this year also they said they would call me if im selected(doesnt sound good here) and i read previous threads abt silkair, abit hestitating now because the pay is really too way low and the job scope its like SIA right? imagine you put in the same effort and u get half of SIA pay.

anyways i rec SIA email too, my interview is on 15 oct 840am. sigh its early in the morning. but happy enuf. and this will be my second attempt. first attempt was horrid. because i rem, first interview is 10 girls, and the interviewer is 2 young guys( seems like they are looking for gfs) and they want us to self-intro and only like 4 or 3 got selected to the next rd and 2nd interview happen next.tats when one-to-one interview comes in. sigh. i hate these interviews but have to go thru. sighsigh :-|

anyways those who havent rec emails from SIA please dont be upset. and i dont think fri is the last day. so dont worry alright? as long u fit the requirements stated, i believe they'll invite you.

alright wish me luck for next fri, will keep u guys updated (:
xoxo

hi sunsweat,

when was ur last attempt? within 6 mths? or more than? n did u indicate that u have tried b4 in ur application form? n did u put down the date if so? thx!!

sunsweet

Postby sunsweet » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:43 am

bryocketh wrote:
sunsweet wrote:hi there im new here

i went for thursday silkair interview. was alright. they asked alot questions like if im prepared to cut my hair short if i were told to, and i married? do i have a bf?anyways im only 21 this year also they said they would call me if im selected(doesnt sound good here) and i read previous threads abt silkair, abit hestitating now because the pay is really too way low and the job scope its like SIA right? imagine you put in the same effort and u get half of SIA pay.

anyways i rec SIA email too, my interview is on 15 oct 840am. sigh its early in the morning. but happy enuf. and this will be my second attempt. first attempt was horrid. because i rem, first interview is 10 girls, and the interviewer is 2 young guys( seems like they are looking for gfs) and they want us to self-intro and only like 4 or 3 got selected to the next rd and 2nd interview happen next.tats when one-to-one interview comes in. sigh. i hate these interviews but have to go thru. sighsigh :-|

anyways those who havent rec emails from SIA please dont be upset. and i dont think fri is the last day. so dont worry alright? as long u fit the requirements stated, i believe they'll invite you.

alright wish me luck for next fri, will keep u guys updated (:
xoxo

hi sunsweat,

when was ur last attempt? within 6 mths? or more than? n did u indicate that u have tried b4 in ur application form? n did u put down the date if so? thx!!

hihi im sunsweet not sunsweat lah. haha

my last attempt for SIA was ard mid of this year.

and for Silkair is my second attempt too, during the silkair interview i did told em was my second attempt.

actually do u not need to state and tell em abt "how many attempts you had" just be cool and gave your best shot. (:

xoxo

Re: silkair

Postby xoxo » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:49 am

piggicia wrote:
xoxo wrote:hey! for those who had went for the silkair interview tdy, please do update us on the info... thanks

And continue to pray for the SIA invitation! All the best to all those waiting....

yeah yeah.. how did the interview today go.. mine is tml afternoon.. ahh.. a little stressed.. hehe.. fingers and toes crossed for tml.. all the best to all going for silkair interview..

waiting patiently for my SIA.. hehe..

Hi piggcia,

How's was your silkair interview yesterday? wat time was yours btw?

Sshh

Postby Sshh » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:54 am

Hi Sunsweat,

Since you have gone for the interview before .. can you let us in on the type of gals who are called up? Like .. Age? Edn level?

bryocketh

Postby bryocketh » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:03 am

ops hehe sorry sunsweet. but i mean in ur application form, thr's a part whr they ask u if u have applied b4 previously and if yes, they ask u to put date. did u put tick yes or no?

sunsweet

Postby sunsweet » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:04 am

Sshh wrote:Hi Sunsweat,

Since you have gone for the interview before .. can you let us in on the type of gals who are called up? Like .. Age? Edn level?

ITS SUNSWEET PPLE NO SUNSWEAT lah.
xoxo

SIA want new faces, usually for the first interview they will invite ladies in a big mass. be it pretty or ugly, complexion wise is not a matter i feel. cos i rem'ed this girl, her face wasnt that good but she had a good self-intro and was asked to go for 2nd interview. you have to be confident during the first self-intro, speak loud and clear. make the interviewer rem you out of the 10 girls. tats how they pick you. (:

sunsweet

Postby sunsweet » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:05 am

bryocketh wrote:ops hehe sorry sunsweet. but i mean in ur application form, thr's a part whr they ask u if u have applied b4 previously and if yes, they ask u to put date. did u put tick yes or no?

just put yes lo.be honest, dont lie. (:

ipodnano

Postby ipodnano » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:19 am

Plavt wrote:

Well, the last time I applied to SIA, I submitted my application form 2 days late - reason being that the mailbox was full. I did get an interview appointment but it was after the last day that official notifications were sent out. I have to say, it is VERY important to be polite and SMILE at EVERYONE when you get to the building. During the first round, it was a group interview of ard 10 girls and we had a panel of 3 interviewers. At random we were picked to answer a couple of questions pertaining to ourselves as well as an issue. It can be as challenging as my friends' who was asked about thier opinions on the IRs in Sentosa and Marina. I would not say I spoke in perfect English (nervous mah) but i guess my answer was quite sufficient. Only myself and another girl got through to the personal interview. That was a little nerve wrecking but i took a risk and cracked some jokes because there was so much tension in the room. I got through till the next round. Everything went smoothly even at psychomatrix. The sad thing is that when the time for the management round came, I wasnt in Singapore and had to postpone it for 3 months. I think that my notice of interview appointment for the management round would be after the initial interviews are over. However, I am in a conundrum. While waiting for the interview to arrive, I have been recently offered two seperate jobs which are both alluring and have long term career potential. Both pay exceptionally well ( > $3K ) and it is in MNCs. Both will have the prospect of travelling internationally as well. My family strongly encouraged me not to be a cabin crew- earn a lower wage, and do menial tasks but to join an MNC in an managerial position. But my dream is just to fly to different countries and to offer exceptional customer service. although SIA is not long term, it is something I would like to have accomplished in my life. I am at the cross-roads and if i work in the MNCs, by the time i'm out, i might be not be eligible for it. besides i'm so near to reaching my dream. but what if i reject the job offers and do not get through the final management round? i'll be left with nothing.

Cruel as it seems, you will have to consider the fact that you have been offered two jobs, not a common event in many peoples lives, struggling to get one is the norm. SIA have not offered you a job and they might not, the way in which they select their cabin crew is an enormous mystery to many and often those who seem suitable fail. In your shoes I would take a job I had been offered and then if you really want to continue your application to SIA (quietly if that is possible .i.e. don't make it known to colleagues). However, do consider the fact that cabin crew do not always have the glamorous life that people imagine. When you fly to a foreign country, do you really see it? When the crew fly to London I know they only have two nights here - when they land and you likely be exhausted, the following day and then you fly back the following day on another 13 hour flight - not much time for fun. Where could you go in that time - the major tourists areas - ok if that's what appeals to you. You would probably have more experience of another country in those other jobs. Consider your future although I don't really know living in the UK, life in Singapore seems overly harsh in some ways. There seems to be this thing of achieving your 'goal' by the time you are thirty in a country that has no social security system.

I think you may find SIA want girls who are biding their time until they find a partner. I do not know if that is the case of course but it seems quite likely given what a pilot says on his website. Best wishes in your chosen course of action.

Plavt.

i suggest that you follow your passion and what would make you happy. the best job in this world is the one that you enjoy doing.

jerr

Postby jerr » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:20 am

Plavt wrote:

Plavt.

not too much sure about what the pilot mention on his site, but as a flight ops crew, i find that to be the contrary. most cabin crew i know, are married or happily attached and they do stay that way. in fact, it is quite rare to hear of cabin crew trying to pally or hook up with the flight ops crew/ station mgrs/ etc... and it is true, in foreign ctys the turnaround is very short, nary sufficient to get around to seeing all the sights and sounds of the place you are in. compond that, with a lack of transport (i.e. public transport) and you are staring at a much reduced set of options to sightsee. To be honest with you, i strongly urge you to reconsider signing up for the FS position. It really is much over-hyped.

Sshh

Postby Sshh » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:27 am

Oops! .. sorry sunsweet! .. thanks for the info.