Hi probable-future colleagues,
I think SIA ramped up recruitment efforts by opening another channel for interviews because the walk-in interviews usually takes up 1 whole day, with little yield. Bypassing the Day 1 interviews (usually Senior Cabin Crew) with the online interview would be followed up by the Management round.
The process seems similar to that of Day 2 after the walk-in interviews. They would allocate a time-slot for selected individuals to report, along with their stated documents (inclusive of bankbook, photograph, certificates, etc.)
So here's my take on it. Hopefully you could use it as an advantage!
Management round; Get interviewed by Top Management in SIA
- DONT WEAR COLORED CONTACTS/MAXI EYES. ONLY NORMAL, TRANSPARENT CONTACT LENSES.
- The management would want to see that you have the what it takes. That would mean the minimal of possessing high conscientiousness (careful & vigilant), adaptability (open to critics), posture, and how you carry yourself as a person.
- After changing pass, you would have to enter STC and proceed to the auditorium to get seated (might have to fill in forms prior). *Please note to be consistent in declaring everything. I.e. Medical history that you might have reported during the online interviews. Especially PES Status for guys still/serving National Service.*
- One by one names would be called in for the management interview. Again, you would be given additional forms for filling (bank details & agreeing to T&Cs).
- After which its time for the interview by Management. This is where you'll start panicking and wondering whether you get the "nice or not nice" interviewers. My take on it is that just walk in with an open mind. Irregardless of who they are, tell them about you like how you would to anyone. Prepare yourself to the things they might ask / comment on you.
- Upon entering, there would be 2 interviewers seated behind a table on the far end of the room. Your designated chair would be just beside the door. Do not attempt to move your chair all the way to their table, as they want to see how your posture is like. Also perhaps a way to see if you are confident by nature. Sit with your legs together, and hands on your lap.
Things they might ask:
1) Tell a little about yourself (hobbies, personality)
- Make it brief, but interesting. Something 'fresh' that would make them consider you.
2) Why did you choose SIA over other airlines?
- During my interview, i said the taboo "I always wanted to fly with SQ because its a childhood dream". Fret not, this evidently does not warrant you a boot-out. Perhaps you could add in something like, "Whenever i saw CC in the arrival hall, i felt the prestige in their uniforms."
Things they might comment:
1) Your hair is not appropriate as a CC.
- Your response: Thank you for pointing it out for me. I will get it rectified before the commencement of training if I'm shortlisted.
2) You dont look good with a hair bun because your ears are too 'pointy'.
- Your response: Thank you for pointing it out for me. I will cut a bob hair style before the commencement of training if I'm shortlisted.
I understand that some of the things they might say are mean/overly brutal, but they are just observing to see whether you can take their critics, and how you respond tactfully to them.
Just be yourself, and explain to them in proper English. However, it is not advisable to over-sell yourself.
Once you're done, you would be told to proceed to a waiting area while they tabulate your scores. Shortlisted people would be told to move on to the Skin check (girl & guys) & Sarong Kebaya fitting (girls only). There should be ample time while waiting for your turn; use the time to touch up on your make-up (for girls, face & body), to ensure that your face is not too oily and does not gleam under the light.
Guys would have to walk in a straight line, and roll up your sleeves to check for scarring until your elbow. They would also measure your height and weight to see if you fall below/over the BMI range.
[I'm not too sure] For girls, there would be a rack of Kebayas for you. You are to choose the one of your fitting and don it well. If you're unable to get a sizing of your own, ask politely for the staff there to assist you. Anything that is not covered by the Kebaya (google image it) will be scrutinized for scarring. So do touch up with concealers prior to going in.
If you make it, you move onto the final part which is done by their HR. This is when they would let you know which day to go for your medicals (usually the next day), and get your availability dates as to when you can commence training.
With that being said, all the best to you guys & girls! I'll be starting training soon and wont be active anymore. You can drop me a DM with your mobile number and ill try my best to answer all your queries!