Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Confused

Re: SIA Cabin Crew

Postby Confused » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:38 am

Hi Guest SIA,

Ur msg is so inspiring.. :D

Btw, since u're a professional crew, can u advise me if i should take up a job offer from one of the budget airline as a cabin crew?

I'm really keen in the job scope as a cabin crew, but eventually i really hope to get into SIA. Giving up my current job will have a pay-cut thgh, but i dont mind if this move would allow me to gain an advantage into international airlines. Do u feel is a wise choice to start frm budget airlines?

THanks in advance! :)

Guest SIA wrote:I've been for the SIA recruitment and got through the first round and also through the 2nd round and now am a flight steward. For the Ladies, it's kind of difficult getting in because the number of ladies applying is saturating. So, the management has to scrutinise the applicants in terms of height, capability, education qualifications, grooming standards, etc. So, you should develop more on these. This crew job IS a profession as under the job occupation, you're considered a professional. You can work in SIA as a cabin crew for as long as 20 years. After that, maybe as a Cabin crew Management team who flies but checks on the flight attendants instead. So, you are still flying and get paid but in a more higher post. Cabin Crew job is highly valued when entering other professions like nursing, physiotherapy, and other hospitality-related courses. Don't be disheartened ladies. Try to go for any interviews, grab as many as u can. Be it JAL, EK, SIA, or SilkAir, just go for the interview to have a feel of it so as to feel confident. All the best to you ladies and also to all the guys out there, it's Really a High-Flying Job guys, the ladies are Wif you....haha...;)

Guest SIA

To confused Guest

Postby Guest SIA » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:03 am

Well Confused, I myself thought of doing budget airlines to get a feel as it won't be tiring and more pressurising than being in an international airline. But i only got a reply from the international one. Budget carrier has a really low-pay to about (1300 Sing Dollars). Whereas, SIA has about (3500 Sing Dollars). You might be wondering, that by being in an budget airline crew is so much easier. Well, let me tell you about my friend's experience as a budget airline carrier. Since the air fares are really cheap, the behaviour of the ppl are also "cheap". They really demand for alot juz for that 3 hour or so flight. It will be as tiring as a long haul flight. Maybe you should try JAL and SIA. JAL is doing really well. Send in the application forms any time. When it is their recruitment time, they should call you. Remember to always try for every interview to get rid of that fear and to get a feel on what type of questions they pose on you. Good Luck confused...Hope to see you working with me..:)

Guest

Postby Guest » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:46 am

is a professional (resume) photo needed to send in with application?
i sent in a cold letter but got no response, can anyone help me?
Thanks

Guest

Re: SIA Cabin Crew

Postby Guest » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:29 pm

Guest SIA wrote:I've been for the SIA recruitment and got through the first round and also through the 2nd round and now am a flight steward. For the Ladies, it's kind of difficult getting in because the number of ladies applying is saturating. So, the management has to scrutinise the applicants in terms of height, capability, education qualifications, grooming standards, etc. So, you should develop more on these. This crew job IS a profession as under the job occupation, you're considered a professional. You can work in SIA as a cabin crew for as long as 20 years. After that, maybe as a Cabin crew Management team who flies but checks on the flight attendants instead. So, you are still flying and get paid but in a more higher post. Cabin Crew job is highly valued when entering other professions like nursing, physiotherapy, and other hospitality-related courses. Don't be disheartened ladies. Try to go for any interviews, grab as many as u can. Be it JAL, EK, SIA, or SilkAir, just go for the interview to have a feel of it so as to feel confident. All the best to you ladies and also to all the guys out there, it's Really a High-Flying Job guys, the ladies are Wif you....haha...;)



to each his own. i mean, if you consider being an air steward as a professional job then by all means do so. however, i beg to differ. as a pilot, i have seen the absolute horrendous behaviours of both stewards and stewardesses abroad and i do make an effort to disassociate myself with such acts of debauchery and decadence. truth be said, while on flights, the SIA service is impeccable down to every single crew member but is essentially a mechanized service with nary a touch of genuine hospitality. i have known many stewards/stewardesses on various flights and it is just absolutely shocking how they verbally 'attack' the difficult customers thereafter in the galley or at the hotels thereafter. i mean, if your attitude and discipline is not there in the first place, where then is the service quality that SIA advocates so greatly?

to be considered as a professional, not only must you be professional in the manner you conduct yourself in and out of your job but also have the correct mentality and job discipline that sets you apart from any other employees in other industries. of course, i am sure i come across sweeping in this statement, but i think in general the whole cabin crew needs a good wake up call in the aftermath of our slipping rankings

Confused

Re: To confused Guest

Postby Confused » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:34 pm

Hi Guest SIA, THanks for ur prompt reply.

Of cos, i'm looking forward to their recruitments, but really dont know when that would be.. I dont mind the demand from passengers, but most importantly, do u think it will affect my application with SIA/JAL in the future? Would they take someone from budget airlines? :?

Guest SIA wrote:Well Confused, I myself thought of doing budget airlines to get a feel as it won't be tiring and more pressurising than being in an international airline. But i only got a reply from the international one. Budget carrier has a really low-pay to about (1300 Sing Dollars). Whereas, SIA has about (3500 Sing Dollars). You might be wondering, that by being in an budget airline crew is so much easier. Well, let me tell you about my friend's experience as a budget airline carrier. Since the air fares are really cheap, the behaviour of the ppl are also "cheap". They really demand for alot juz for that 3 hour or so flight. It will be as tiring as a long haul flight. Maybe you should try JAL and SIA. JAL is doing really well. Send in the application forms any time. When it is their recruitment time, they should call you. Remember to always try for every interview to get rid of that fear and to get a feel on what type of questions they pose on you. Good Luck confused...Hope to see you working with me..:)

Geisha

Re: SIA Cabin Crew

Postby Geisha » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 1:04 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Guest SIA wrote:I've been for the SIA recruitment and got through the first round and also through the 2nd round and now am a flight steward. For the Ladies, it's kind of difficult getting in because the number of ladies applying is saturating. So, the management has to scrutinise the applicants in terms of height, capability, education qualifications, grooming standards, etc. So, you should develop more on these. This crew job IS a profession as under the job occupation, you're considered a professional. You can work in SIA as a cabin crew for as long as 20 years. After that, maybe as a Cabin crew Management team who flies but checks on the flight attendants instead. So, you are still flying and get paid but in a more higher post. Cabin Crew job is highly valued when entering other professions like nursing, physiotherapy, and other hospitality-related courses. Don't be disheartened ladies. Try to go for any interviews, grab as many as u can. Be it JAL, EK, SIA, or SilkAir, just go for the interview to have a feel of it so as to feel confident. All the best to you ladies and also to all the guys out there, it's Really a High-Flying Job guys, the ladies are Wif you....haha...;)



to each his own. i mean, if you consider being an air steward as a professional job then by all means do so. however, i beg to differ. as a pilot, i have seen the absolute horrendous behaviours of both stewards and stewardesses abroad and i do make an effort to disassociate myself with such acts of debauchery and decadence. truth be said, while on flights, the SIA service is impeccable down to every single crew member but is essentially a mechanized service with nary a touch of genuine hospitality. i have known many stewards/stewardesses on various flights and it is just absolutely shocking how they verbally 'attack' the difficult customers thereafter in the galley or at the hotels thereafter. i mean, if your attitude and discipline is not there in the first place, where then is the service quality that SIA advocates so greatly?

to be considered as a professional, not only must you be professional in the manner you conduct yourself in and out of your job but also have the correct mentality and job discipline that sets you apart from any other employees in other industries. of course, i am sure i come across sweeping in this statement, but i think in general the whole cabin crew needs a good wake up call in the aftermath of our slipping rankings


Yup somehow Guest do make some sense here... my bf is also a tech crew with SQ, and he has told me stories abt cabin crew's behaviour once they are in the galley. Vulgarities and cursing would be out from their mouths... can u imagine passegers sitting near the galley and overhearing these??
HOwever im sure there are some crew who genuinely love their job and serve with pride n respect. Lets not rule them out... :)

Belle07

Hi..

Postby Belle07 » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 7:38 pm

Hi Guest SIA..

When is the nxt recruitment date? Any idea? And does SIA accept private diploma holder? Or private advanced diploma holder? Pls help me to ans my questions...Thanks

Guest SIA

Cabin Crew

Postby Guest SIA » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 8:29 pm

I am afraid that i've to agree to some of you when it comes to the cabin crew's attitude. It's not only to the passengers but to other crew members too, if they are on a higher post. It can just make your blood boil. But on the contrary, I love my job and have always been professional about it in any circumstances. However, I do agree that some crew members do have attitude problems. I find sometimes that they should try to withstand anything unpleasant because flight attendants carry the first image of their respective country. For (confused), it will not affect in your application to international carriers after serving budget airlines. In fact, they would want you more than others because you have the experience and the ability. So, go ahead and apply!:) I am actually sad to find some of my colleagues not behaving professionally and sometimes being really childish. I hope they realise that they are in direct contact with passengers and not be offensive in any way. I would certainly not want my passengers to have a bad impression on me when i'm working. I hope all the flight attendants turn to a better person. Good luck to all you guys. Private Diplomas are accepted. You need a minimum diploma or A levels. Thats all. Don't worry, just keep trying. Wish to see some of you guys working together with me. Haha. Take care and ALL THE BEST!;)

Guest SIA

Recruitment

Postby Guest SIA » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 8:34 pm

Belle07, I am not sure about the recruitment exercise because I am not with the recruitment staff. But I'm sure they will advertise on the papers and on their websites. But truthfully, SIA is a good airline to fly with alot of benefits later on. Good luck on your application. A professional Resume is needed too, don't forget!:)

myuri

Postby myuri » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 9:16 pm

To Guest SIA :

1) are there mummies in SQ as well.

2) what is the difference between normal resume and a professional one ?

3) How long u been flying ? I have a friend, who has been flying for a year now, she always say tht the other stewardess are free abt sleeping ard ? Is tht true ?

4) As for stewardess, who smoke in their uniforms ,at airport basement ?? doesnt tht project a wild image ?

Belle07

Thanks...

Postby Belle07 » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:06 pm

Hi Guest SIA...

Thanks for ur reply. Hoped to work wit u someday... [-o<

Guest SIA

Cabin Crew

Postby Guest SIA » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:57 pm

myuri wrote:To Guest SIA :

1) are there mummies in SQ as well.

2) what is the difference between normal resume and a professional one ?

3) How long u been flying ? I have a friend, who has been flying for a year now, she always say tht the other stewardess are free abt sleeping ard ? Is tht true ?

4) As for stewardess, who smoke in their uniforms ,at airport basement ?? doesnt tht project a wild image ?




Well, there are no mummies in SQ to my knowledge..lol...the difference is not that significant. It's just that for professional resumes, you need to have the most recent experience-related customer service or its equivalent and other punch lines to make your resume stand out. It also has to be brief so as to not overflow to 2 pages.:) I've been flying for 20 months and it's not true that stewardess that they sleep around. To sleep around does not necessarily involve their work because the decision is not made by the company but themselves. So, it's not true:P Stewardesses DO smoke in their uniforms because they will not be able to touch another cigarette for another 10 over hours. So, they do it when they are all ready for the flight briefing. I think they should stop smoking in their uniforms and even better, if they could stop smoking!haha..it projects a bad image to the company and to themselves.:) All the best in your future myuri;)

monagy3

SIA

Postby monagy3 » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:28 am

I have an interview with SIA tom...im so nervous..can anybody help me prepare....I got Kicked out the first round the last time...how is the interview anyway....

Guest

Re: Cabin Crew

Postby Guest » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 1:18 pm

Guest SIA wrote:
myuri wrote:To Guest SIA :

1) are there mummies in SQ as well.

2) what is the difference between normal resume and a professional one ?

3) How long u been flying ? I have a friend, who has been flying for a year now, she always say tht the other stewardess are free abt sleeping ard ? Is tht true ?

4) As for stewardess, who smoke in their uniforms ,at airport basement ?? doesnt tht project a wild image ?




Well, there are no mummies in SQ to my knowledge..lol...the difference is not that significant. It's just that for professional resumes, you need to have the most recent experience-related customer service or its equivalent and other punch lines to make your resume stand out. It also has to be brief so as to not overflow to 2 pages.:) I've been flying for 20 months and it's not true that stewardess that they sleep around. To sleep around does not necessarily involve their work because the decision is not made by the company but themselves. So, it's not true:P Stewardesses DO smoke in their uniforms because they will not be able to touch another cigarette for another 10 over hours. So, they do it when they are all ready for the flight briefing. I think they should stop smoking in their uniforms and even better, if they could stop smoking!haha..it projects a bad image to the company and to themselves.:) All the best in your future myuri;)


after reading thru the numerous posts here and in reference to an earlier one by a pilot, i would like to share my thoughts. i have been flying for 4 yrs as a first officer on SQ and im afraid, that i have encountered several occasions whereby stewards/stewardesses would have sexual encounters abroad. In fact, several of my colleagues were quite appalled by their actions, i.e getting wasted, smoking pot (amsterdam, frankfurt) and sleeping over (when each is assigned to their own rooms). once the plane lands abroad, it does seem that all their inhibitions are let loose and all the training is gone to waste. in fact, there was even an occasion, whereby i caught a leading stewardess cursing under her breath in full view of the passenger in raffles class. in addition, as mentioned, smoking in their uniforms is also a common sight. and in fact, i have a associate once that commented on how uncouth it made the girls look, tarnishing the SQ girl image totally.

Confused

Re: Cabin Crew

Postby Confused » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 7:45 pm

Hi Guest SIA,

Thanks.. Guess i'll go ahead & take up the offer then! But i got to complete the 1 yr bond... & really hope i could be part of SIA & working with u in the future! :)

Guest SIA wrote:I am afraid that i've to agree to some of you when it comes to the cabin crew's attitude. It's not only to the passengers but to other crew members too, if they are on a higher post. It can just make your blood boil. But on the contrary, I love my job and have always been professional about it in any circumstances. However, I do agree that some crew members do have attitude problems. I find sometimes that they should try to withstand anything unpleasant because flight attendants carry the first image of their respective country. For (confused), it will not affect in your application to international carriers after serving budget airlines. In fact, they would want you more than others because you have the experience and the ability. So, go ahead and apply!:) I am actually sad to find some of my colleagues not behaving professionally and sometimes being really childish. I hope they realise that they are in direct contact with passengers and not be offensive in any way. I would certainly not want my passengers to have a bad impression on me when i'm working. I hope all the flight attendants turn to a better person. Good luck to all you guys. Private Diplomas are accepted. You need a minimum diploma or A levels. Thats all. Don't worry, just keep trying. Wish to see some of you guys working together with me. Haha. Take care and ALL THE BEST!;)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests