Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Pillowcase

Post by Pillowcase » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 8:28 pm

MeganL wrote:
Pillowcase wrote:Hi all. Just some really bummed updates

(1) Mass Introduction
(2) Height & Cert Checks
(3) Skin Check
(4) 1-to-1 Interview
(5) Management Round

I failed at the management round. The topic was to discuss about the budget airlines in the market. My team got the NO, that budget airlines should stop continuing. My reading and introducing of my partner was fine.

Perhaps it's really just the debate round that we didn't really smile or something whilst discussing. It's my first time trying for CC and to fail at the end before trying on the kebaya is really traumatizing... :( Any tips from anybody for management round?
Hi there. I KNOW your situation!! I was like you, got until Management round, that was my first time trying for CC(It was the Sep interview back then). Didn't even get to wear the kebaya yet then was booted out :( So disappointed, I was so near yet sooo far! Until today, Im still traumatised but it gets better with every try(of course the lesser tries the better :p , but somethings just arent within our control. Sigh)

Anyway, my group's question back then was "Singapore is a gracious country. What are your views?" At that time I wasnt thinking too much and I gave an in-between answer(both agree and disagree). Learnt my mistake the hard way, which is to NEVER talk bad about Singapore, even though it may be the ugly truth. I mean, the Singapore Girl is a Singapore icon, so obviously SIA will discard potential people who might "defame" Singapore. Hence, always try to give politically right answers at whichever stages of the interview! My passage reading and impromptu introduction of my partner was fine, so Im very convinced about my grave mistake during the discussion that till now it's still taunting me :(
Oh, one more tip: please be 200% alert and listen out for instructions. This girl in my group flipped opened her passage reading card way before her turn to read(not supposed to) and was warned by one of the interviewers to flip it back. She apologised but ended up being sent home too, and we guessed we know why..

Thanks for reading my sad recount of the interview :( hope it helps in one way or another! All the best for all of the hopes and dreams here :)
Wow.. I feel you man.. So are you still trying for cabin crew now?

But anyway, mine was to debate and I had to mention that budget airlines shouldn't be in the market. So... :/ So what if they asked "An apple a day keeps the doctor away?". I guess we would never know what an interviewer would expect.. Really, be it debate or discussion.. Oh well.

MeganL
Regular
Regular

Post by MeganL » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 9:26 pm

Pillowcase wrote:
MeganL wrote:
Pillowcase wrote:Hi all. Just some really bummed updates

(1) Mass Introduction
(2) Height & Cert Checks
(3) Skin Check
(4) 1-to-1 Interview
(5) Management Round

I failed at the management round. The topic was to discuss about the budget airlines in the market. My team got the NO, that budget airlines should stop continuing. My reading and introducing of my partner was fine.

Perhaps it's really just the debate round that we didn't really smile or something whilst discussing. It's my first time trying for CC and to fail at the end before trying on the kebaya is really traumatizing... :( Any tips from anybody for management round?
Hi there. I KNOW your situation!! I was like you, got until Management round, that was my first time trying for CC(It was the Sep interview back then). Didn't even get to wear the kebaya yet then was booted out :( So disappointed, I was so near yet sooo far! Until today, Im still traumatised but it gets better with every try(of course the lesser tries the better :p , but somethings just arent within our control. Sigh)

Anyway, my group's question back then was "Singapore is a gracious country. What are your views?" At that time I wasnt thinking too much and I gave an in-between answer(both agree and disagree). Learnt my mistake the hard way, which is to NEVER talk bad about Singapore, even though it may be the ugly truth. I mean, the Singapore Girl is a Singapore icon, so obviously SIA will discard potential people who might "defame" Singapore. Hence, always try to give politically right answers at whichever stages of the interview! My passage reading and impromptu introduction of my partner was fine, so Im very convinced about my grave mistake during the discussion that till now it's still taunting me :(
Oh, one more tip: please be 200% alert and listen out for instructions. This girl in my group flipped opened her passage reading card way before her turn to read(not supposed to) and was warned by one of the interviewers to flip it back. She apologised but ended up being sent home too, and we guessed we know why..

Thanks for reading my sad recount of the interview :( hope it helps in one way or another! All the best for all of the hopes and dreams here :)
Wow.. I feel you man.. So are you still trying for cabin crew now?

But anyway, mine was to debate and I had to mention that budget airlines shouldn't be in the market. So... :/ So what if they asked "An apple a day keeps the doctor away?". I guess we would never know what an interviewer would expect.. Really, be it debate or discussion.. Oh well.
I've tried twice so far. My 2nd time.. something just was lacking during my 1-1 interview, or perhaps my interviewer was more strict so I failed there :( Going back to studies for another 2 years before I go back and try again! :)

The next time you go, try to mingle around with others more. Anybody. Either they are still waiting for the different stages or that they have went through all stages just waiting for results. During my last interview when people are just sitting around waiting for results, a group of people including me randomly chatted and some of them shared their past experiences especially in situational/management round questions with the rest and also how they reacted to them, which sort of prepare you of what to expect :)

Anyway, to answer your debate question, I guess there is no right or wrong answers. Most importantly, it's your teamwork/how you coordinate with your team that the interviewers are looking out for. A guy friend of mine who recently signed the contract, he shared with me that his management round question was "Job satisfaction or money?". Clearly, there is no right or wrong answers here right. So just state your point, explain and give an example to support your stand w/o being too naggy :p He also shared with me that he heard of this girl in another group, she merely answered:"I agree beauty is more important" to this question:"Beauty or brains?"(and her group had to go with beauty), and surprise surprise... She passed! Haha. So long story cut short, it really depends on the day, interviewers and your luck.

Oh dear, I wouldnt know what to answer for your question on budget airlines! If I had to say no, maybe I would say like SIA will benefit because less competition(especially for regional flights) or something along that line :p Mind sharing what your other successful group mates said? ^^ sorry for all the long posts, I just had to share whatever I know ;p Man, I cant wait to go for another interview and pass them alllll! But mine wont be anytime soon :( sigh

Pillowcase

Post by Pillowcase » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 9:42 pm

MeganL wrote: I've tried twice so far. My 2nd time.. something just was lacking during my 1-1 interview, or perhaps my interviewer was more strict so I failed there :( Going back to studies for another 2 years before I go back and try again! :)

The next time you go, try to mingle around with others more. Anybody. Either they are still waiting for the different stages or that they have went through all stages just waiting for results. During my last interview when people are just sitting around waiting for results, a group of people including me randomly chatted and some of them shared their past experiences especially in situational/management round questions with the rest and also how they reacted to them, which sort of prepare you of what to expect :)

Anyway, to answer your debate question, I guess there is no right or wrong answers. Most importantly, it's your teamwork/how you coordinate with your team that the interviewers are looking out for. A guy friend of mine who recently signed the contract, he shared with me that his management round question was "Job satisfaction or money?". Clearly, there is no right or wrong answers here right. So just state your point, explain and give an example to support your stand w/o being too naggy :p He also shared with me that he heard of this girl in another group, she merely answered:"I agree beauty is more important" to this question:"Beauty or brains?"(and her group had to go with beauty), and surprise surprise... She passed! Haha. So long story cut short, it really depends on the day, interviewers and your luck.

Oh dear, I wouldnt know what to answer for your question on budget airlines! If I had to say no, maybe I would say like SIA will benefit because less competition(especially for regional flights) or something along that line :p Mind sharing what your other successful group mates said? ^^ sorry for all the long posts, I just had to share whatever I know ;p Man, I cant wait to go for another interview and pass them alllll! But mine wont be anytime soon :( sigh
Wow, I think I mingled quite abit! I eventually grew attached to my new "friends" and feel really awful when they failed the rounds.. I met an Indonesian, a Thai, SG students, 2nd timers, 5th timers. Basically really nice aspirants!

In my management round, we HAD to seperate into 2 groups of 3. The group who took the YES Budget Airlines should be in the market and why, they all passed. It was also partially because they had really good chemistry, though just meeting 1 day ago. And exactly, for Management Interview, you really need to pray to everything you believe in for luck to be on your side. I have friends who "spoke too much", "spoke well", "squeaked", "went offtopic", "underperformed", who passed the rounds. So you really have to pray that your interviewers like you... :/

The successful "YES" team actually blabbered alot.. I blanked out because I was slowly fading into the background realising their confidence. Even though their points might not make sense, they presented in a really confident and almost "chief steward/ess"-like. So perhaps that's the catch.

But anyway, my NO team were all 1st timers, so perhaps we thought we only could share what we have discussed and not our own personal views.
Also, I went for the "less confident" approach during debate because I have seen alot of confident ones get booted out, shockingly. But really.. Every single round of SIA Interview is a "YOU WILL NEVER KNOW" outcome...

Aww. Can't you just try with us again on Dec 1st?

xin1993
Regular
Regular

Post by xin1993 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 9:55 pm

Hi guys! I'm wondering if poor eyesight will affect your chances of getting selected? I wear circle lenses in brown or black but they're not every big like those scary doll eyes. Will it be okay to wear them?

MeganL
Regular
Regular

Post by MeganL » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:42 pm

Pillowcase wrote:
Wow, I think I mingled quite abit! I eventually grew attached to my new "friends" and feel really awful when they failed the rounds.. I met an Indonesian, a Thai, SG students, 2nd timers, 5th timers. Basically really nice aspirants!

In my management round, we HAD to seperate into 2 groups of 3. The group who took the YES Budget Airlines should be in the market and why, they all passed. It was also partially because they had really good chemistry, though just meeting 1 day ago. And exactly, for Management Interview, you really need to pray to everything you believe in for luck to be on your side. I have friends who "spoke too much", "spoke well", "squeaked", "went offtopic", "underperformed", who passed the rounds. So you really have to pray that your interviewers like you... :/

The successful "YES" team actually blabbered alot.. I blanked out because I was slowly fading into the background realising their confidence. Even though their points might not make sense, they presented in a really confident and almost "chief steward/ess"-like. So perhaps that's the catch.

But anyway, my NO team were all 1st timers, so perhaps we thought we only could share what we have discussed and not our own personal views.
Also, I went for the "less confident" approach during debate because I have seen alot of confident ones get booted out, shockingly. But really.. Every single round of SIA Interview is a "YOU WILL NEVER KNOW" outcome...

Aww. Can't you just try with us again on Dec 1st?
Honestly, Im tempted. Would really love to give it another shot and prove my worth! But it will be pointless if I were to get selected and in the end still have to give it up due to studies(uni year 2 already started). Plus they will boot you out if they know that you are currently still a student and not within 3 months to graduation :( It's a really nice feeling to be around soooo many people of the same aspiration though!

Haha. I guess you'll have more points to express on the YES side ;) I was the only first timer in the group so maybe the more experienced ones should get in first before it's our turn? :p I firmly believe that luck plays a huge factor in the interviews! Maybe start accumulating lots of good karma? hehe

MeganL
Regular
Regular

Post by MeganL » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:46 pm

xin1993 wrote:Hi guys! I'm wondering if poor eyesight will affect your chances of getting selected? I wear circle lenses in brown or black but they're not every big like those scary doll eyes. Will it be okay to wear them?
If it looks natural, it should be fine :) But to be on the safe side, maybe wear a normal one? Poor eyesight will not affect if it can be corrected. There will be a problem if you are colour blind.

chocolatecraves
Regular
Regular

Post by chocolatecraves » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 5:08 pm

Are singaporeans Allowed to attend the interview in Malaysia?

chocolatecraves
Regular
Regular

Post by chocolatecraves » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 5:15 pm

Are singaporeans Allowed to attend the interview in Malaysia?

yujie

Post by yujie » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 8:53 pm

hey people, I saw that girls are Booted out even if they have skin problems like this:

http://static.allkpop.com/wp-content/up ... ggsp02.jpg

http://static.allkpop.com/wp-content/up ... ggsp11.jpg

Do you really have to be like THIS under light?

http://www.gorgeousworld.net/wp-content ... skin-2.jpg

Thanks if anyone can clarify!!!

pianoplayer
Regular
Regular

Post by pianoplayer » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 9:31 pm

yujie wrote:hey people, I saw that girls are Booted out even if they have skin problems like this:

hmm it depends on whether you get a strict examiner or not. i had like minor pimples and super bad eye rings and i passed. hee. my friend told me my examiner was e least strict out of the rest so perhaps thats why.

yoyobin
Regular
Regular

Post by yoyobin » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:04 pm

pianoplayer wrote:
yujie wrote:hey people, I saw that girls are Booted out even if they have skin problems like this:

hmm it depends on whether you get a strict examiner or not. i had like minor pimples and super bad eye rings and i passed. hee. my friend told me my examiner was e least strict out of the rest so perhaps thats why.

yoyobin
Regular
Regular

Post by yoyobin » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:08 pm

yoyobin wrote:
pianoplayer wrote:

You must be a guy I guess?? Ladies are usually booted out for Slight faults... Just like the picture shown, oily, uneven skin.... EVEN without pimple.. :(

pianoplayer
Regular
Regular

Post by pianoplayer » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:45 pm

yoyobin wrote:
yoyobin wrote:
pianoplayer wrote: hmm it depends on whether you get a strict examiner or not. i had like minor pimples and super bad eye rings and i passed. hee. my friend told me my examiner was e least strict out of the rest so perhaps thats why.
You must be a guy I guess?? Ladies are usually booted out for Slight faults... Just like the picture shown, oily, uneven skin.... EVEN without pimple.. :(
hee im a girl. :) but maybe i wouldnt have passed e final skin check coz i heard during kebaya round they check skin again. can someone confirm this?

jannsiz

Post by jannsiz » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 1:24 am

hee im a girl. :) but maybe i wouldnt have passed e final skin check coz i heard during kebaya round they check skin again. can someone confirm this?[/quote]

hey yup!
kebaya round will be stricter.
if the nice ladies there have doubt..
they will send you for second round of check by some higher personnel (the interviewers of your management rounds)
if they say ok

then consider pass =)
if not you wil be given a come-back-again-for-review form

jannsiz

Post by jannsiz » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 1:26 am

yoyobin wrote:
yoyobin wrote:
pianoplayer wrote: hmm it depends on whether you get a strict examiner or not. i had like minor pimples and super bad eye rings and i passed. hee. my friend told me my examiner was e least strict out of the rest so perhaps thats why.

not really without pimple,
i had my intra-menses breakout..
but as long as it can be concealed
it shouldnt be a problem
dont really need to have flawless skin =)