Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
mframe
Regular
Regular
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun, 08 Aug 2010

Postby mframe » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 2:08 pm

that realli sucks...like this the stewardess wanna go out find work also diff..no one will hire a pregnant lady.

User avatar
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby Abercrombie » Fri, 20 Jan 2012 7:50 pm

Many who sign up are young girls and this issue will be the last thing that comes into their mind. They won't think so much and so far to give up this dream so there are still thousands lining up to get in. The situation has not change for the past 30 over years so it will not change now.

MabelSoe
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed, 18 Jan 2012

Postby MabelSoe » Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:23 pm

Well, you just have to go in with your eyes open. SIA indeed does not have maternity leave. Unless it becomes a necessity under women's charter or something I doubt SIA will ever change its position on this issue. There are always so many Q-ing up to be a cabin crew. With or without maternity benefits, SIA will never have a lack of candidates wanting to join them.

Some years back, they changed the stewards' appointment from a permanent position to a contract position. Has this deterred the guys from joining? I don't think so.
my blog on becoming a cabin crew: www.siacabincrew.blogspot.com

User avatar
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby Abercrombie » Thu, 26 Jan 2012 7:16 am

Many boys still join but looking at a short term career point of view because of the 5 years contract. This in turn reflects on their attitude towards their job. Do a check on the current cabin crew standing among the rest of the Airlines and you will see it. Of course this is not the only factors that results in the slip, there are many factors contributing towards it too. Other airlines are also paying big bucks to attract SQ crew and adopting SIA way of service. Their hardware is miles ahead too. SIA best asset is the staff and crew, thats what gives them the #1 for many years but things are changing, hardware wise not top of the range and the human touch is what they are hanging on to. They will need to keep the staff happy to have any chance of reclaiming the top spot.

Elev_lim
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 10 Nov 2011

Postby Elev_lim » Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:32 pm

Abercrombie wrote:You loss your job once you got pregnant, no ground job arrange done. After pregnant you can apply to go back but have to go thru an interview within 2 years and no promises that you will be able to go back flying. 3 month Basic pay given after you get pregnant according to the government recommendation since about 1-2 years ago. Before that you get nothing and loss your job. Now you get 3 month basic pay (about $1300/mth) and still loss your job.


But there is one thing I don't understand is how about those leading stewardess/in flight supervisors who are in their 40's? Didnt they get preganant during their employment?

User avatar
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby Abercrombie » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 2:30 am

Elev_lim wrote:
Abercrombie wrote:You loss your job once you got pregnant, no ground job arrange done. After pregnant you can apply to go back but have to go thru an interview within 2 years and no promises that you will be able to go back flying. 3 month Basic pay given after you get pregnant according to the government recommendation since about 1-2 years ago. Before that you get nothing and loss your job. Now you get 3 month basic pay (about $1300/mth) and still loss your job.


But there is one thing I don't understand is how about those leading stewardess/in flight supervisors who are in their 40's? Didnt they get preganant during their employment?


Either they are returning crew or they don't have a Child. Many are comfortable of the lifestyle that they don't want to have a child reason being they will loss their job once pregnant and its not easy as a mother to go flying leaving you child in SIN with maid or parents.

Lulu557788
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed, 11 Jan 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Lulu557788 » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 2:56 pm

Lulu557788 wrote:
estelis3011 wrote:
Lulu557788 wrote:
estelis3011 wrote:
yhy89 wrote:I failed the management round>< didn't know why.

Anyone know what are they looking for in the management round? Because we went in as 6 person, and only 1 got selected, and all 6 of us actually answered quite equally, with quite even standards, in terms of English proficiency and structuring our answer.
I thought all 6 of us would be picked in the end they only picked one, and the one being selected wasn't even the most impressive one among us 6.

We went trough the debate, and reading a given passage at that round.

* 1 more question, if i wrote that i would be available on June, does the late availability effects my chances being selected?


Availability date doesn't affect at all. I know of some who can only start during apr or june and they manage to get through. I feel that they are looking at our overall like personality, confidence level , posture ( the way we carry ourselves ) , the way we speak and keep smiling! and yes. look at them when u speak. Its normal to stammer though. :) Anyway to be dishearten by failure. I think of it that failure will be part of my success when i failed my 1-1 interview during the 3rd dec. Just try again! There will always be a chance if u are willing to try :) And a piece of gd news to share with u guys! Just received a call from Mary today :) Training will start on V-day. haha. FYI, I'm from the 7th interview batch. All the best to all who will be gg for the 11th feb interview!


congratz estelis, still waiting a call from marry or sheryn, =(


Thanks lulu :) Don't worry! I hv a friend who went through the interview with me hv yet to receive any calls as well. Stay positive! FYI, my friend underwent her med smoothly in which that she don't hv to undergo extra test unlike me ( i was scheduled for an ultrasound ) . So probably they are sorting things out. Give them a month :)


Yeah just met another friend, he said he got it ald too, hahaa... make me worries even more... yeah I think so too, btw last time they never ask me to stay for the briefing, they told me to straight go to med check and will let me knw asap.... yeah I think because shenton sent my report to SIA abit late- like last friday.... i still hope for the best! its killing me!! LOL, good luck with everything! and congrats! =)

hello estelish is your friend get any news ald frm SIA?

ariacolor
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 30 Jan 2012

Postby ariacolor » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:39 pm

where do they learn to do their hair and make-up?
just how on earth do the SIA girls get their hair so perfect?!


SIA wrote:My GF is a cabin crew and believe me, she has told me some stories! What exactly are you wanting to know?
icookieatishop

estelis3011
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat, 14 Jan 2012

Postby estelis3011 » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:28 am

ariacolor wrote:where do they learn to do their hair and make-up?
just how on earth do the SIA girls get their hair so perfect?!


SIA wrote:My GF is a cabin crew and believe me, she has told me some stories! What exactly are you wanting to know?


They learnt it during their training. Grooming is part of it so yea. They hv a trainer to teach the girls on how to do it.

me00w
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu, 11 Dec 2008

Postby me00w » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 3:03 am

hi guys! i'm new here, thinking of going for the feb interview. can anyone tell me which parts they will check during the skin check? because i have scars on my legs and ankles from bad mosquito bites..

ariacolor
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 30 Jan 2012

Postby ariacolor » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:47 am

oh, do you have any idea where they train?
is it angel makeup studio?

estelis3011 wrote:
ariacolor wrote:where do they learn to do their hair and make-up?
just how on earth do the SIA girls get their hair so perfect?!


SIA wrote:My GF is a cabin crew and believe me, she has told me some stories! What exactly are you wanting to know?


They learnt it during their training. Grooming is part of it so yea. They hv a trainer to teach the girls on how to do it.
icookieatishop

Nevergiveup
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon, 09 Jan 2012

Postby Nevergiveup » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:45 pm

me00w wrote:hi guys! i'm new here, thinking of going for the feb interview. can anyone tell me which parts they will check during the skin check? because i have scars on my legs and ankles from bad mosquito bites..


are you a girl or boy? hmm if you are a girl, i guess you will be booted out in the skin check stage with the scars unless you are able to conceal those scars well (but i heard that some interviewers will actually rub onto your skin to see whether did you put concealer or not)

they will check your arms, face, and the back during the skin check stage. :)

shiniestar
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun, 17 Feb 2008

Postby shiniestar » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 1:06 pm

Nevergiveup wrote:
me00w wrote:hi guys! i'm new here, thinking of going for the feb interview. can anyone tell me which parts they will check during the skin check? because i have scars on my legs and ankles from bad mosquito bites..


are you a girl or boy? hmm if you are a girl, i guess you will be booted out in the skin check stage with the scars unless you are able to conceal those scars well (but i heard that some interviewers will actually rub onto your skin to see whether did you put concealer or not)

they will check your arms, face, and the back during the skin check stage. :)


am i right to say that since the kebaya can cover it should be ok??

piinkyhearts
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 31 Jan 2012

Postby piinkyhearts » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 2:46 pm

Anyone going for the next SIA interview?

Interviews will be conducted on 11 February 2012 (Saturday) at:

Suntec City Convention Centre
Level 3 Meeting Rooms
1 Raffles Boulevard
Singapore 039593

dannyooi_84
Regular
Regular
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu, 31 Jul 2008

Postby dannyooi_84 » Tue, 31 Jan 2012 2:57 pm

I'm going Pinky, your first try?[/quote]


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest