Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
charbt
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 23 Jan 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby charbt » Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:10 pm

esah wrote:i went yst, got thru the first round but they measured my height as 157.7cm.

0.3cm and i would have made it but she didnt allow me. i argued that it wasn't my first time there, that i am a crew and if i could do the reach test. but she was like "sorry, u didn't meet the height requirement. u can leave now" and just walked away.

OMG. i felt like killing her right there and then.


Esah, are you the one working with Jet atm? You were in the First Round being asked on which famous person bla bla right? And it was Jim Carrey?

missSHER
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue, 15 Dec 2009

Postby missSHER » Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:49 pm

derenla: crap! i also have an uneven waistline with one side more curved than the other. hope its not scoliosis :(

anyway, do go ahead and try for any upcoming interviews. cause i'm also graduating in may, but i started trying since the dec interviews. and at least if you fail, take every experience as a learning journey :) good luck!

staxtics
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu, 14 Jan 2010

Postby staxtics » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 1:01 am

Well i have scoliosis and since im 18 right now im going to check how bad the curve is so in case quite bad can still find a way cure it as im a flight steward wannabe and i don't want to lose my ambition just because of scoliosis so for those who wants to be a flight attendant next time and has scoliosis it's best to go and see a doctor as early as possible.

Btw anyone who is currently working or knows someone in SIA who has a private diploma from MDIS? Im taking Travel, Tourism & Hospitality hope that diploma gives me an advantage as it deals with customer service and f&b.

derenla
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat, 23 Jan 2010

Postby derenla » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 1:45 am

hi pho87, thanks for your words of encouragement :) but i guess this is not an easy path for me cos on top of scoliosis, i'm currently on braces and will be taking off around the same time as the end of my attachment. however, i dont think they will even interview ppl with braces cos i guess they might wanna access the smiles or stuff like that. any idea on the requirements of the interview? :)

and regarding the scoliosis, i am intending to get the curvature checked by next week. but im afraid that if the cobb's angle turn out to be a bad number, i wouldnt know what to do man. do you know if scoliosis can be treated?

missSHER, if you;re graduating in may you'll have to tell them in advance right? and start means start training? yea thanks! i would like to go for the interviews too cos at least i know how its like. but braces. urgh.

derenla
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat, 23 Jan 2010

Postby derenla » Sun, 24 Jan 2010 2:54 pm

anyway people, i have another qn. ive heard of ppl sharing their experiences and some questions by the interview panels regarding how they find SQ service etc. But unfortunately, i have not gotten a chance to take SQ or would be taking anytime soon. do you think it will affect my chances of being selected?

User avatar
natalatte
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue, 02 Oct 2007
Location: singapore

Postby natalatte » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:31 am

derenla wrote:anyway people, i have another qn. ive heard of ppl sharing their experiences and some questions by the interview panels regarding how they find SQ service etc. But unfortunately, i have not gotten a chance to take SQ or would be taking anytime soon. do you think it will affect my chances of being selected?


it won't affect at all. I personally nvr took sq flights before too. tickets are way too steep. They'll only ask u qn like if u were that particular stewardess based on that passage, given tt situation what will u do.

i feel it's not the answer they're looking for, it's the way how to present urself . :D just answer with ur instinct/first reaction. at least tt's wat i did!!
♥ A great way to fly ♥

User avatar
sq009
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri, 04 Nov 2005
Location: River Valley

Postby sq009 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 1:50 pm

The answer is important as well, they will test you with case studies and scenarios and see what is your instinct when handling such cases. Experience in service industry will help as some of the scenarios given were customer based. Others are technical and safety related issues (most of the time)

natalatte wrote:
it won't affect at all. I personally nvr took sq flights before too. tickets are way too steep. They'll only ask u qn like if u were that particular stewardess based on that passage, given tt situation what will u do.

i feel it's not the answer they're looking for, it's the way how to present urself . :D just answer with ur instinct/first reaction. at least tt's wat i did!!
In Pursuit Of Excellence and Perfection

namron02
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 13 Jan 2010

Postby namron02 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 2:02 pm

staxtics wrote:Well i have scoliosis and since im 18 right now im going to check how bad the curve is so in case quite bad can still find a way cure it as im a flight steward wannabe and i don't want to lose my ambition just because of scoliosis so for those who wants to be a flight attendant next time and has scoliosis it's best to go and see a doctor as early as possible.

Btw anyone who is currently working or knows someone in SIA who has a private diploma from MDIS? Im taking Travel, Tourism & Hospitality hope that diploma gives me an advantage as it deals with customer service and f&b.


2 of my friends are flight stewardess from MDIS with Diploma in Mass Communications. Private Diplomas are accepted.

pho87
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat, 16 Jan 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby pho87 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 4:11 pm

natalatte wrote:
derenla wrote:anyway people, i have another qn. ive heard of ppl sharing their experiences and some questions by the interview panels regarding how they find SQ service etc. But unfortunately, i have not gotten a chance to take SQ or would be taking anytime soon. do you think it will affect my chances of being selected?


it won't affect at all. I personally nvr took sq flights before too. tickets are way too steep. They'll only ask u qn like if u were that particular stewardess based on that passage, given tt situation what will u do.

i feel it's not the answer they're looking for, it's the way how to present urself . :D just answer with ur instinct/first reaction. at least tt's wat i did!!


the last plane ride i took was on... tiger ! :wink:

throughout all 4 rounds, never once did i get a qn about current sq service standards. the closest one was: "why do you want to join singapore airlines?". during the 1 to 1 interview they will also ask you to read a passage. that passage will contain a mock scenario on a plane (as mentioned by sq009), which will require you to come up with a customer-oriented solution.

for example, my passage was about mr a who reclines his seat so far back that it disturbs mr b behind him. but before you could tell mr a, he falls asleep. what would you do ? (for me, i said that i will wait till mr a wakes up before politely telling him. while waiting for him to do so, i will get a drink or snack to placate mr b for the time being.)

don't worry too much, derenla. braces or no braces, just go for the next walkin ! just to get a feel of it. be yourself, smile, look happy !

just to share: the 1st time i went for the walkin in dec, i got into 2nd round (skin check). i was so nervous in front of the shining lights that the lady actually told me to not to be so nervous ! when she threw the qn "why do you want to join sia?" while checking my arms, i gave a hurried, anxious answer. and true enough, i didn't get thru that round. so this jan, i relaxed and smiled a lot more, spoke cheerfully to each interviewer instead of being so anxious, and i guess it worked. just be yourself. be calm, measured, and smiley. :)

pho87
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat, 16 Jan 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby pho87 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 4:26 pm

scoliosis can be treated with surgery if advanced. if not, a back brace can be worn. i've heard yoga also helps. you might want to ask friends and family for referrals on these. hope the cobb's angle turns out to be less than twenty degrees !!! good luck.

charmaiin
Regular
Regular
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue, 15 Dec 2009

Postby charmaiin » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 4:41 pm

pho87 wrote:
derenla wrote:anyway people, i have another qn. ive heard of ppl sharing their experiences and some questions by the interview panels regarding how they find SQ service etc. But unfortunately, i have not gotten a chance to take SQ or would be taking anytime soon. do you think it will affect my chances of being selected?


just to share: the 1st time i went for the walkin in dec, i got into 2nd round (skin check).


I did get a question at my final interview round about whether I've sat on SQ before - because the question was about the green revolution and how airlines such as SIA can be part of the green revolution. so we needed to give some kind of recommendation/suggestion as to how we can improve the current SQ practices.. But I guess you dont really need to actually have sat an SQ flight to answer the question.. can answer based on common sense..

And pho87! we're exactly the same.. first time in dec i also failed skin test. hahahaha jan was my 2nd time applying. :)

pho87
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat, 16 Jan 2010
Location: Singapore

Postby pho87 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 5:09 pm

charmaiin, i think the lesser number of girls who turned up for the jan walkin also helped. cuz the walkin crowd at suntec in dec was HUGE ! :o

i also thought that older girls got in this time. is it just me? i'm 23; majority of the other girls who got thru the rounds were 24, 25, 26 yrs old. one was 28.

roaringqueen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 25 Jan 2010
Contact:

Postby roaringqueen » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 7:53 pm

pho87 wrote:charmaiin, i think the lesser number of girls who turned up for the jan walkin also helped. cuz the walkin crowd at suntec in dec was HUGE ! :o

i also thought that older girls got in this time. is it just me? i'm 23; majority of the other girls who got thru the rounds were 24, 25, 26 yrs old. one was 28.



i just received the call from SIA to tell me i got in. and will start training on 8th of feb. i'm 19.

derenla
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat, 23 Jan 2010

Postby derenla » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 8:36 pm

roaringqueen: do you happened to be winnie the blogger? congrats anyway :)

chariminn&pho87: thanks guys for sharing your experience. well, i guess i will just give it a shot for the upcoming one (anyone has any idea when will it be?) frankly speaking, i find that the questions are very challenging for me. i guess i will most probably fumble :( and green revolution?? ok time to do some homework.

how do people normally ans "why do you wan to be a cabin crew?"
i know its been commonly asked but i think my ans is gonna be very very boring. but then again, i think you guys are right. they may not be looking for ans but how we carry ourselves. congrats to those who got in btw!

roaringqueen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 25 Jan 2010
Contact:

Postby roaringqueen » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 8:49 pm

derenla wrote:roaringqueen: do you happened to be winnie the blogger? congrats anyway :)

chariminn&pho87: thanks guys for sharing your experience. well, i guess i will just give it a shot for the upcoming one (anyone has any idea when will it be?) frankly speaking, i find that the questions are very challenging for me. i guess i will most probably fumble :( and green revolution?? ok time to do some homework.

how do people normally ans "why do you wan to be a cabin crew?"
i know its been commonly asked but i think my ans is gonna be very very boring. but then again, i think you guys are right. they may not be looking for ans but how we carry ourselves. congrats to those who got in btw!



yes, i am winnie. thank you :)

don't have to be so nervous :D
i was basically laughing and laughing during the 1 to 1 interview.

but anyway. this was my second try.
the first time. i didn't make it because of the kebaya round.




btw, can anyone that is going to start training on 8th of feb contact me.
at soulgerz@hotmail.com
thanks :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests