Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
spydergurlzz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed, 19 Nov 2008
Location: jakarta

Postby spydergurlzz » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 9:31 pm

rainschocolate wrote:
spydergurlzz wrote:
rainschocolate wrote:Scoliosis?

no worries.

i have scoliosis too! but as long as it is of little degree, its fine.

all e best to all going for interviews. =)



this is the situation..i've already passed all the interview,,,start my training in nov 17,,,but 3 days before that they called me and said that i didn't pass my med check due to scoliosis...how???is it still ok??


hmm if they call u to say u didnt pass den i 'm afraid u have to wait 6 months till medical checkups are no longer valid, need to renew den try again.
if there is scoliosis, normally u'll be called back from a 2nd x-ray which u have to pay for yourself. $150. after which they will decide whether u pass or not (scoliosis).

if they call u after 2nd x ray saying u fail, means ur scoliosis exceeds 20degrees.
if they did not call u for 2nd x ray, and failed u, means its most probably due to other reasons which they will not disclose.



six months....are they keeping our med chek result or???
thanks for ur info

jlayl
Regular
Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu, 30 Oct 2008

Postby jlayl » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 9:59 pm

i am not sure about SIA's medical check policy, but I do know that clinics do not throw away their patient's records at all. 6 months is the length of time a medical check up record is valid. after which, your health condiiton might change and therefore after 6 months you can try for the interview again (if you've failed medical) because you might pass the medical this time round.

pork12
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed, 27 Aug 2008

Postby pork12 » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:15 pm

jlayl wrote:I think height's a much bigger problem as compared to weight..
I think its alright even if they measure you shorter, since you will definitely be above 158cm still. if you are worried about your bmi, I can understand. but looks wise, what they measure don't change how you look. :)

Ya.. I've really been trying to lose weight but it doesn't seemed to be working too well.... I'm not sure what you mean by "what they measure won't change how i look" though...
Pigs CAN fly...... right?
You can when you believe!

jlayl
Regular
Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu, 30 Oct 2008

Postby jlayl » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:42 pm

oh oh oh don't get me wrong!
Cos you were scared that they measure you shorter and same weight.. which I feel that you should not be worried about, because even if they measure you shorter you won't look shorter because I think your concern is being shorter and weighing the same meaning bigger size right? so what I meant was that even if they measure you shorter it won't affect you at all, don't worry, because they can't measure you until below 158cm! hahaa. so they can't disqualify you for that.

not like me. 159cm, last measurement taken at sheraton was 158.5cm. RISKY.

pork12
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed, 27 Aug 2008

Postby pork12 » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:54 pm

jlayl wrote:oh oh oh don't get me wrong!
Cos you were scared that they measure you shorter and same weight.. which I feel that you should not be worried about, because even if they measure you shorter you won't look shorter because I think your concern is being shorter and weighing the same meaning bigger size right? so what I meant was that even if they measure you shorter it won't affect you at all, don't worry, because they can't measure you until below 158cm! hahaa. so they can't disqualify you for that.

not like me. 159cm, last measurement taken at sheraton was 158.5cm. RISKY.

Haha.. Don't get me wrong.. I wasn't like angry or sth.. I just wan to know what you mean.. And you're right. I'm worried about shorter ht + same weight =/ But the most worrying issue now is that.... I've got no invitation.... :?
Pigs CAN fly...... right?

You can when you believe!

mintia
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun, 24 Aug 2008

Postby mintia » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:03 am

pork12 wrote:
mintia wrote:Pork12,
When I went in June - I was 60kg (i'm 1.65m btw). Most of my weight's on my lower body - so I had to take a size L bottom.
...And I did pass the kebaya round - actually never failed it out of my so many attempts except for the 1 time that I managed to get to kebaya fitting @ STC...
Good luck to you Pork!

Hi mintia... Was just wondering.. They measured you at 1.65m? I'm really worried about my h&w because I measured myself at 1.63m and my weight's 60kg.. It's very likely they'll measure my height below 1.63m and my weight remains @ 60kg. You mean even at 60kg they did not fail you at the kebaya round? My weight is actually quite evenly distributed, I'm fat everywhere. :???: Sorry if I sound blunt, but I hope to clarify some doubts.. Thanks a lot!



Hi Pork12 and Tink 15,

Well there was 1 time @ Sheraton where I was measured shorter...but other times I'm always 165.

Ok at STC - they will measure and weigh you before round 1.
At Sheraton, they measure you before round 1. Only when you get to kebaya round will they take your height (again) and weigh you.

I am like a size 10 top with a size 12 bottom (pear shape) but as there are various sizes of tops and bottoms, you're free to mix and match - so most of the time you should be able to find one that fits you (because, a lot of the girls who make it through are stick thin and only go for size S :wink: )

If you're worried about fitting the kebaya bottom - do wear a girdle, so it helps the bottom to 'glide' on easier. The kebaya's are marked like S/M/L for the bottoms and the tops either S/M/L or like 31" 32" 34" etc.. so it gives you a rough idea which top/bottom to take. Just try and find the most fitting kebaya possible (not too loose and skirt not too long)

As long as you fit into the kebaya, have decent skin - no visible scar and walk fine in the kebaya (don't slouch!), you should pass it. The interviewer will ask the usual questions of what you do, why you want to join etc...

Well, when I was 60kg and I passed the kebaya round - at the 1-1 interview, the panel told me "you do know you're kind of on the heavy side".... So...be prepared to be asked that question and think of a good reply! :lol:

Ahh.. hmm ok think I have written a lot just about the kebaya. Don't stress, just go there, smile and be yourselves!

jlayl
Regular
Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu, 30 Oct 2008

Postby jlayl » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:03 am

pheww.. I was overweight before.. So I understand the pain of losing weight. well, there's still residue on me now. hahaa.
Don't worry, there's always the walk in in january.

btw, I'm suspecting they gonna hold walk in and write in on alternate months. hmmm...
and then they will choose very little from each so that they only get the best few.. and hold multiple interviews instead, so they get best ones from each.

zandlelightz
Regular
Regular
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue, 15 Aug 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby zandlelightz » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 1:43 am

mintia wrote:
pork12 wrote:I'm just wondering..... Anyone who's about 163cm/60kg has went for the interviews and managed to get to the 2nd round? Is there any kebaya that will fit that size? And erm... How about those with heavier chest? :oops:


Pork12,

When I went in June - I was 60kg (i'm 1.65m btw). Most of my weight's on my lower body - so I had to take a size L bottom.

As for the top - the last time I was there (in Nov), there was a 'XL' top which had quite a lot of space for the bust. So hope and pray it's there for you! :wink:

And I did pass the kebaya round - actually never failed it out of my so many attempts except for the 1 time that I managed to get to kebaya fitting @ STC...

Good luck to you Pork

p.s. - I've got a 9.30am slot for Monday





Hey there, my slot is at 9.30 and i am a guy...

cowsdomoo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 12 Dec 2008

Postby cowsdomoo » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 1:56 am

jlayl wrote:i am not sure about SIA's medical check policy, but I do know that clinics do not throw away their patient's records at all. 6 months is the length of time a medical check up record is valid. after which, your health condiiton might change and therefore after 6 months you can try for the interview again (if you've failed medical) because you might pass the medical this time round.


Meaning if some1 has scoliosis, SQ won't accept? Why is that the case?

Tink_15
Regular
Regular
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri, 28 Nov 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby Tink_15 » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 8:24 am

mintia wrote:
pork12 wrote:
mintia wrote:Pork12,
When I went in June - I was 60kg (i'm 1.65m btw). Most of my weight's on my lower body - so I had to take a size L bottom.
...And I did pass the kebaya round - actually never failed it out of my so many attempts except for the 1 time that I managed to get to kebaya fitting @ STC...
Good luck to you Pork!

Hi mintia... Was just wondering.. They measured you at 1.65m? I'm really worried about my h&w because I measured myself at 1.63m and my weight's 60kg.. It's very likely they'll measure my height below 1.63m and my weight remains @ 60kg. You mean even at 60kg they did not fail you at the kebaya round? My weight is actually quite evenly distributed, I'm fat everywhere. :???: Sorry if I sound blunt, but I hope to clarify some doubts.. Thanks a lot!



Hi Pork12 and Tink 15,

Well there was 1 time @ Sheraton where I was measured shorter...but other times I'm always 165.

Ok at STC - they will measure and weigh you before round 1.
At Sheraton, they measure you before round 1. Only when you get to kebaya round will they take your height (again) and weigh you.

I am like a size 10 top with a size 12 bottom (pear shape) but as there are various sizes of tops and bottoms, you're free to mix and match - so most of the time you should be able to find one that fits you (because, a lot of the girls who make it through are stick thin and only go for size S :wink: )

If you're worried about fitting the kebaya bottom - do wear a girdle, so it helps the bottom to 'glide' on easier. The kebaya's are marked like S/M/L for the bottoms and the tops either S/M/L or like 31" 32" 34" etc.. so it gives you a rough idea which top/bottom to take. Just try and find the most fitting kebaya possible (not too loose and skirt not too long)

As long as you fit into the kebaya, have decent skin - no visible scar and walk fine in the kebaya (don't slouch!), you should pass it. The interviewer will ask the usual questions of what you do, why you want to join etc...

Well, when I was 60kg and I passed the kebaya round - at the 1-1 interview, the panel told me "you do know you're kind of on the heavy side".... So...be prepared to be asked that question and think of a good reply! :lol:

Ahh.. hmm ok think I have written a lot just about the kebaya. Don't stress, just go there, smile and be yourselves!


Hehee your about the same size as me :) 12 on bottom and 10/8 on top... The thing is i have really big hips so i have to take a bigger size:s
Be unlickly i even get to the Kebaya round though :( but we shall see :)

pork12
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed, 27 Aug 2008

Postby pork12 » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 9:04 am

Time is running out...... It's already Friday and I have yet to get any invitation!!
mintia: What did you say when the panel mentioned that you're on the heavier side? And did you manage to pass thru any of the 1-1??
Pigs CAN fly...... right?

You can when you believe!

mintia
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun, 24 Aug 2008

Postby mintia » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:11 am

pork12 wrote:Time is running out...... It's already Friday and I have yet to get any invitation!!
mintia: What did you say when the panel mentioned that you're on the heavier side? And did you manage to pass thru any of the 1-1??


I mentioned that it was due to my time spent overseas (very high carbo diet in Europe lah)...but it was not exactly the best answer as panel then mention that CC will eat irregular meals, so will that affect my weight? Also asked if my weight fluctuates... I got through that 1-1 but failed management round.

Have also realized that.. if they ever ask why you think you failed previous attempts - DON'T mention that it's due to weight. I made that mistake... :-|

So I guess you have to find a good 'excuse' on why you're on the heavy side and tell them you are working on it to loose weight.

Pork - don't fret that you didn't get the invite this time. Go for the Jan walk in - somehow I feel that the rejection rate's not as high as STC.

*Tink _15 - trust me, I have like WIDE hips... and I could just manage an L size (girdle helped)

User avatar
crystalheart
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri, 04 Jan 2008
Location: singapore
Contact:

Postby crystalheart » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:13 am

Gosh SIA is hiring again,maybe to replace crew like myself. Can't see reason to hire especcially having surplus cabin crew now. But for wannabe it is good news right? Details are in this blog which I happened to come across http://airlineposition1.blogspot.com
_________________

ready_2fly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed, 12 Nov 2008

Postby ready_2fly » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:33 am

May I know those who get invitation, do u still need to get thru self-intro round ? or straight to the 1-1 interview.

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu, 20 Dec 2007

Postby hafiz_ » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:42 am

ready_2fly wrote:May I know those who get invitation, do u still need to get thru self-intro round ? or straight to the 1-1 interview.


Yup. Interviewees will have to start from the first round just like for a walk-in. :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests