Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Karyne

Postby Karyne » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 5:03 pm

renn wrote:my fifth time trying, today 1st round got booted out. so sad!
my group all 5 malays got in. think they are really looking for malays.

Karyne, are we in the same group. i went abt 12+. cant remember my group number, should be 43,44, or 45.

Yes...shd be that grp number, i was with Sharon. Perhaps you can remind me abit of you?
I know i want to be, I can be, and i will be!

My passion in the air.

Karyne says thank you for your replies. ^^

Ode

Postby Ode » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 6:00 pm

SIA should have a control damage mechanism- sack those cabin crews who are nt doing their job & do not have the correct work attitude be it permanent, under training or whatever.

starrynitezz
Regular
Regular

Postby starrynitezz » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 7:15 pm

but will sacking those crews help? surely there must be rotten apples in a basket...

renn
Regular
Regular

Postby renn » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 8:19 pm

Karyne, im the 9th gals to talk,
im the onli gals who talk abt safety when he ask us tat question.
remember me.
how abt u? our group all 5malays got in.

SQEKwannabe

Postby SQEKwannabe » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 9:15 pm

what are your first round questions ? My question was why do you want to be a cabin crew for SIA.

llentimes
Regular
Regular

Postby llentimes » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:24 pm

[quote="jiakel"]I can't for any reason imagine why people would even quit during training. I mean, if you can't even enjoy/endure the training, why bother applying and robbing others' chance in the first place??

That explains why SIA still needs to hold frequent recruitments. \:D/ People still believe that being a CC is a glamorous job. But as they go through training, start on solo flight or having to face passengers that complains on the slightest mistakes, its not any close to being glamour. They starts to countdown their bond, hate their flying career and everythings just feel like Sh*T to them. Somehow, this kind of candidates are most likely those who made it all 4 rounds? And those who really having passion in serving...im sorry, you just simply need to pray for more luck and countless attempts before can win the interviewers' heart :? How irony? ](*,)
"Whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, beliving , ye shall receive" Mathew 21:22

llentimes
Regular
Regular

Postby llentimes » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:34 pm

I quoted this from the user singaporegrrl under the "Cabin Crew Application Advices" thread. Hope all who really thinks they like the life of being a CC to read through first

So you want to be a flight attendant?

Go to a resale store and find an old, navy suit that an army sergeant might have worn. Add a white shirt and a tie. Wear that same outfit for three consecutive days.

Go to an airport and watch airplanes take off for several hours. Pretend you are standing by for them and they are all full. Go home. Return to the airport the very next day and do the same thing again.

Fill several large boxes with rocks. Lift them over your head and place them on the top shelf of a closet. Slam the door shut until the boxes fit. Do this until you feel a disc slip in your back.

Turn on a radio. Be sure to set it between stations so there is plenty of static. Turn on the vacuum cleaner and garbage disposal. Run them all night.

Remove the covers from several T.V entrees. Place them in a hot oven. Leave the food in the oven until it's completely dried out. Remove the hot trays with your bare hands. Serve to your family. Don't include anything for yourself. Serve your family a beverage one hour after they've received their meal. Make them remain in their seats during this time.

Ask them to scream at you and complain about the service. Scrounge uneaten rolls off the plates for you to eat 6 hours later when you're really hungry. Place a straight-backed chair in a closet facing a blank wall. Use a belt to strap yourself into it. Eat the rolls you saved from your family's meal.

Ask your family to use the bathroom as frequently as possible. Tell them to remove their shoes and socks before entering, and see who can make the most disgusting mess. Clean the bathroom every hour throughout the night.

Make a narrow aisle between several dining room chairs and randomly scatter your husband's runners and loafers along the way. Turn off the lights and spend the night walking up and down the aisle while banging your shins against the chair legs and tripping over the shoes. Drink several cups of cold coffee to keep yourself awake.

Gently wake your family in the morning and serve them a muffin in a package. Don't forget to smile and wish them a nice day when they leave for work and school.

After the family leaves, take a suitcase and go out into the yard. If it's not raining, turn on the sprinkler system and stand in the cold for 30 minutes pretending like your waiting for the crew bus to pick you up. Then go inside and wait by your bedroom door for another 30 minutes for an imaginary maid to make up your room.

Change into street clothes and shop for 5 hours. Pick up carry-outfood from a local deli. Go back home. Sit on your bed and eat your meal. Set your alarm clock for 03:00 am so you'll be ready incase you don't get your wake up call. Repeat the above schedule for three days in a row and you'll be ready to work your first international flight.

REASONS NOT TO BE A FLIGHT ATTENDANT!

1. Spend half the year at home bored because all your friends are at work, it's a weekday!

2. Experience the dread of being stuck in the airport waiting to get on a flight with a standby ticket. Your family/friends/random people you met in the street will harass you to book them cheap tickets for their holidays.

3.Get a lucrative benefits package including healthcare and life insurance (for the severe damage that pressure chang/atmospheric radiation does to your body), employee stock options (your companys way of saying "we go down ur coming with us").

4. Enjoy the unmatched variety of being on standby and not knowing where your going to be going tomorrow at 6am.

5.Get use to maximum flexibility - You're never going to get another weekend off with the rest of the world.

6. Meet some real stuk up assholes, including many celebrities.

7. See the world then get terribly blaze about it i.e. "God not a nighstop new york again".

8. Feel more independant, so you aren't scared to shout at crewing when they call you in the middle of the night.

9. Feel more responsible so you dread the thought that if the idiot who's currently waiting for the toilet while we're in turbulence kills him, you need to revive him.

10. Feel a sense of shame and embarrassment when you get to your destination and the groundstaff totally lets you down (especially when theyre not ready for an unacompanied minor or disabled passenger).

11. Your freinds will hate you for making them jealous of all the places you've been and will eventually stop taking your calls. You will end up not having anymore friends.
Last edited by llentimes on Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llentimes
Regular
Regular

Postby llentimes » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:38 pm

Quoted from singaporegrrl "Cabin Crew Application Advices"

Mushroom wrote:
But what's happening? Why airlines like Silkair and SIA are having such high turn over suddenly? Anything bad? Becos i jus saw a big bus ads on career recruitment for SIA, the first time i saw them advertising to recruit cabin crew.

For the following reasons:

1) Misunderstanding. People think this job is oh so glamorous and got all excited to join the airline industry. When they found out the real jobscobe, they began to lose interest and in time, they resign. That's why I've been telling everyone to do their research well before embarking on a job like this. NO JOB IS FOR EVERYONE!

2) Politics. It's everywhere. As glamorous as it may seem, it's not so fun up there. You'll find it easier to deal with passengers than with fellow colleagues. Bitching and gossiping everywhere. You might just get adapted and addicted and it may cause you some trouble.

3) Time. There is no such thing as public holidays in this industry. You may find it hard to meet your friends coz on a Sunday when all your friends are out together, you might be halfway around the world and missing all the fun. It's worse if your loved ones are celebrating some festivities and you're outstation. Christmas in Paris! Sounds exciting but lame if you're all alone.

4) Feeling lonely. In addition to the above point, crew can sometimes get the same destinations very often. They get bored and end up staying in the hotel room on layovers. If they get zapped, they get miserable with no shoulders to cry on all alone in the hotel room. Some crew can't stand being lonely so they resign.

5) Money. Some crew feel the urge to shop all their allowance money on shopping during layovers. In the end, they are only left with basic salary and hourly pay and think it's not worth it. So they left in search of a better deal. Take note, there is not such thing as OT. You are paid hourly from when the plane pushes back from the gate before take off, until the plane comes to a stop at the next gate after landing. If your aircraft is delayed for 5 hours on ground, too bad, no pay!

I hope I've brought forward some important points to hopefuls here. Any crew who would like to add on to or amend the list?

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:18 pm

jiakel wrote: I can't for any reason imagine why people would even quit during training. I mean, if you can't even enjoy/endure the training, why bother applying and robbing others' chance in the first place??

Well, unfortunately some people only see the world they want to, the shock of reality is what they can't take (I'll leave it to your imagination what I mean). :wink:

llentimes
Regular
Regular

Postby llentimes » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:23 am

[quote="Plavt"]
Well, unfortunately some people only see the world they want to, the shock of reality is what they can't take

Hmm...if they cant even survive being a CC, i wonder how they going to survive in any other job? :???:

Tres Bien Merci

Postby Tres Bien Merci » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:11 am

For SIA walk-in interview, I would say it depends on your luck. Those people that got the job are solely based on luck. I would say it is more than 50%.
My friend went for the interview for the first time and she got in but at the end she felt that this is not the job she is looking for. As soon as the contract is up, she will left the company and do something else.

For my opinion, the interviewers have lack experience in choosing the right candidate. The company needs to do something about this. Probably they can send their staff for training.

I agree that they should choose candidate based on suitability. It would be better for the company to choose those people who have passion in customer service and know the job very well such as what is expecting from them compare to those people that only know how to convince the interviewer and they got the job. The interviewer needs to see beyond that. They need to be impartial.

I believe everyone can go through and pass all the training as cabin crew as long as they are willing to learn. The important factor we need to see is passion. With passion and good training, it can help to reduce the resignation. This is what the trainer needs to see from the candidate.

For those that cant make it for 19 July interview, please don’t give up. Try again!!! :)

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 3:36 pm

Tres Bien Merci wrote:For SIA walk-in interview, I would say it depends on your luck. Those people that got the job are solely based on luck. I would say it is more than 50%.

Not entirely true; all employers select people based on whatever criteria they choose and appropriate to the situation. Suppose you have 20 vacancies and 200 applicants, by the time a short-list is compiled there may be 60 potentially suitable candidates which means 40 will be turned away. Out of that 40 there will be 4 or 5 maybe more who would have been suitable. So they were unlucky but that does not mean those that got in did so 'solely based on luck.' While some may well wind up wishing they had never taken the job in the first place this scenario is 'played out' throughout the world, what people need is an alternative plan/choice of job instead of setting their heart in one place.

On the other hand if you are really keen on this line of employment then make time to find out as much as you can and consider whether or not you really want it. Travel and good pay may be a temptation but think of the advantages, disadvantages and what would not appeal to you about this or any other job.

Tres Bien Merci

Postby Tres Bien Merci » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 4:36 pm

I agree with you Plavt.

It is my mistake. In fact i wanted to write, some people get selected based on luck and some match the criteria. :oops: :D

I am writting too fast. :(

For those people that still keen to be cabin crew, please dont give up but please keep in mind the disadvantages of this job too. :D

smurfieee
Regular
Regular

Postby smurfieee » Mon, 21 Jul 2008 9:41 pm

jiakel wrote:Hi all, I used to be active in this forum but kinda stopped after I started my training. Now it's about 2.5 more weeks to my SNY! I really really enjoy training and I can't for any reason imagine why people would even quit during training. I mean, if you can't even enjoy/endure the training, why bother applying and robbing others' chance in the first place??

For people who just got through the interview, welcome to STC soon!! And for those who didn't make it this time round, try again soon! I heard the frequent recruitment should be ending soon 'cos we're getting enough crew due to the very frequent recruitments first half of the year. So just try your best! =)

yOz, you in which batch? 97...?? you going where for SNY?
::s.m.u.r.f.i.e.e.e::

stripes

Postby stripes » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 2:22 am

Will there be write in for AUG?