Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
CuriousCat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu, 24 Feb 2005
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby CuriousCat » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:10 am

Ex-SGirl wrote:
CuriousCat wrote:After reading the hundred pages of postings, I realised that most of the girls are asking the same questions over and over. And most of these questions are mainly on age, size, height, scars, cover letters etc etc etc.

I feel that SIA is quite desperate in recruiting cabin crew because the turnover rate is pretty high for cabin crew. As long as you send in a decent photo of yourself and you meet the basic requirements, you'll be called up for the interview.

During the entire course of the interview, it is all about presenting yourself really really really well. I cannot emphasize more on that! This is because the successful candidate is working at the frontline, facing passengers from all nationalities. Being the national carrier, the girls are not only representing SIA, but also Singapore. Therefore, being abe to present yourself well is extremely important. I feel that this is also the reason why SIA has upped the requirements for cabin crew applications.

In view of the fierce competition, I feel that there are 3 important qualities that a successful candidate should possess in order to stand out from the rest. Firstly, you must speak fluent and well-articulated English. Secondly, you must know how to position yourself in every round of the interview process. Thirdly, you must possess a great smile.

Btw, please do not treat the other candidates as friends because all of you are actually fighting for the job. No doubt there is more than 1 opening for the job, you'll never know what the other candidates would do to outshine you. There is no fixed number to recruit, rather, its the quality of the girls who turned up that day. Therefore, its a relative thing whether you get selected or not.

Lastly, if you are less than 1.58m tall, please forget about getting the job. The HR people would not hesitate to ask you to leave just because you failed to meet the height requirements. There are girls who were asked to leave because they did not meet the height requirement at the very last round of interview where the HR people make their final height measurement.

Good luck to all.


Hi, I do agree with all your points except for one "Btw, please do not treat the other candidates as friends because all of you are actually fighting for the job."
For those who are going for interview, please note that, at any time you are being scrutinized by by the interviewer. Being unfriendly to other candidates will minus points.

Even if you dun like them doesn't mean u can ignore them.... who knows they may become your passenger one day and you will regret if they shoot a complain letter about your service....


Well, when I put forth that statement, obviously I did not mean it as giving the rest of the candidates a hostile attitude during the interview! That would be an absurd thing to say to people whom are going for a service-oriented job, wouldn't it? Maybe I ought to explain myself eh?

You see, in order to survive the interview (and later, the job!), one must know how to manage the people and the environment around him/her to work it towards one's advantage. This is all part of EQ and its very essential for a service-oriented job.

Therefore, "Btw, please do not treat the other candidates as friends because all of you are actually fighting for the job." did not literally mean you have to be unfriendly to the other candidates. What it meant was the SIA FA hopeful should know what is the right strategy to play in such a situation. Don't forget, SIA has a 6000 cabin crew strength. Its all about the people management game here.

mystical

Postby mystical » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:55 am

This thread should have been for FAs, FA hopefuls & people who are curious about the job.

But, why are there so many people putting it down here? Everyone has their own dreams. Though being a FA might not be as prestigious as being a lawyer or doctor, but it is a ray of hope for many Singaporeans who have never seen much of the world, to experience it in the flesh.

To many, it is an occupation simply referred to as 'waitress in the air'.
To me, it is my chance to relate to the many different cultures around the globe and to gather my wealth of experiences before I'm too old to do so.

It is natural that there are people out there who detest the job. But, from my point of view, writing your insults here ain't gonna help no one, neither would it benefit yourself (unless you have a psychological problem). I'd like to appeal to keep this thread close to the subject title. I believe that straying from the topic must be the main reason as to why this thread over 100 pages. It makes the thread draggy, which is probably the reason why many of us repeat our questions as most do not have the time to go through it entirely. Cheers everyone!

cieux

Postby cieux » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 1:22 am

sad girl wrote:hi gerls,

Is there anyone whom have sent in their SQ application via email on the 17th afternoon? Have you received the reply from SQ?

Please do drop a mail.

i am still waiting. i did not receive anything from SQ yet.

I wanted so much to be a singapore girl.

Thanks.


Hi sadgal,
I've sent in my email on 17th afternoon too. So did some other girls in the prev. treads. I also have not recieved any reply from SQ. Guess its either we're in the next interview round, or maybe we're just not being selected. Anyway how old are u? Are u still studying?

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 5:01 am

Mystical Wrote.
'To many, it is an occupation simply referred to as 'waitress in the air'.
To me, it is my chance to relate to the many different cultures around the globe and to gather my wealth of experiences before I'm too old to do so.'

A very good point mystical, there is always more to many jobs than meets the eye. Those people who refer to flight attendants as 'waitress in the air are simply showing their ignorance. Since the course for flight attendants takes some four months that would be rather a long time to train somebody to be ' just a waitress'. Some of you reading this will have already worked and possibly still do work amongst the public. You will without already be aware of the many varied and sometimes strange scenarios that can occur. Those cynics unable to consider the life of cabin crew beyond what they themselves see should investigate further the training and lifestyles of such people instead of living in their own 'world' where only they are right and cannot expand their mind beyond their own opinions.

Good luck and best wishes to all of you whatever your destiny.

tinkerbelle

Postby tinkerbelle » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 8:02 am

M wrote:
tinkerbelle wrote:
M wrote:
tinkerbelle wrote:M,

yeap, tts the attitude.. rem to SMILE SMILE SMILE SMILE SMILE..

Are u close to the frn-who-knows-someone from SIA??


Belle, nope not that close! :lol: Seeking for backdoor? :twisted:


Nah smarty-pants, im wondering y u didnt resort to tt.. spare urself the agonizing wait n all. :)


Cutey,

Not possible as I wouldn't resort to that? :twisted: What about you? Lost track who's going what? :shock:


tsk tsk.. u muz be outta ur mind.. if i were u, i'll tak the easy way "in".. i do know an ex-colleague who's bro-in-law does the selection in one of the rounds.. too bad im not really close to her.. :lol: and if i do get in smhow, i wun mind introducing pals in too.. ive heard of stewardesses/stewards who do tt..

FAwannabe

Re: hi

Postby FAwannabe » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 8:05 am

Grace wrote:
Catmeat wrote:
reena wrote:hi mystical my interview is at 1400..im still heavily reconsidering cause im scared of my wieght factor...sigh..anyway good luck to you..hope u clinch the job...



hey reena. me too man. im more to plump side. i dont know abt u. im thinking twice man.


hi Catmeat and Reena,

don't worry abt your weight. i am 160cm and weight 58kg. and i got in, so don't worry. as long as u look proportional and curvy, and most impt, must be able to fit nicely in the kebaya and look nice in it.

Hi Grace, do they take the height manually?

since it is a kebaya, u must have the boobs and bums to look nice in it.
womanly curves to bring out the kebaya.

all the best with your interview. :)

tinkerbelle

Postby tinkerbelle » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 8:08 am

Ex-SGirl wrote:
Ex-SGirl wrote:
Hopeless wrote:
Ex-SGirl wrote:
Hopeless wrote:Hi Ex-SGal,

What hapened to ur skin? Hope it has fully recovered....was it due to the stress in the air? I understand that one will have to pay the bond if u resign before the bond period...so did u pay the bond?


Hi hopeless, my skin problem has fully recovered, nothing serious. It's just warts and nothing to do with the stress or air pressure.... thanks for your concern :-)
BTW, they waive off my bond due to medical reason :lol:


Hi Ex-SGal,
Wow luckily u managed to "escape" from paying the bond! Hehe....
heard the amt is quite alot....
Did u keep in touch with ur batch gals, and check with them the flying life in SQ? :)


Ya man.... actually they did offer to defer my training but as I'm not sure how long the treatment will take so they ask me to resign and will suggest to waive off the bond. If I can't 'escape' from the payment, I will definitely ask for defer... :lol:

Yes, I'm still in constant contact with my batch girls and heard that almost half of them have resigned either before the end of the contract or upon the expiry of the bond.... :?

Sad to say, this is not a job that everyone can try... Hey, do you have msn? I would prefer to chat there... u can add me (wiwilian@hotmail.com)


All:
I have received several invitations to add me to your msn. I'm flattered about this... but please email me before adding me as I do not want 'uninvited' guest to be in my list and I hate to click on the 'reject' button too.

Thank you for your understanding :)


Hi hi gal,

Will like to add u to my msn.. is it ok?

tinkerbelle

Postby tinkerbelle » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 8:15 am

Fated wrote:Today is oledi Wed. I guess those who did not received the invitation like me, guess we have to give up. Have to try the next round. Pretty sad that I am not shortlisted.

I not really good looking but okie look, slim... i dont take cover look and i just send a normal full length photo. URGH!!! but i still not invited. Sometimes really feel like giving up but it has been a childhood dream. Y do pple can go for so many attempts. yet I wish to have one more is so tough? NOT FAIR!!!! guess is just luck. and maybe the HR recognise me! so after the my first interview, they dun shortlist me anymore! is this possible?


*gasp* how is THAT possible? do u have any idea how many mails they rec during this "cattle-call" period?? wow, if im the HR n my boss expects me to remember all applicants that ive trashed, i'll RESIGN!!

keep ur hopes high, chin up!! maybe change ur photo? or re-draft ur cover letter.. :lol:

Guest99

Postby Guest99 » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 8:26 am

Anonymous wrote:
CuriousCat wrote:After reading the hundred pages of postings, I realised that most of the girls are asking the same questions over and over. And most of these questions are mainly on age, size, height, scars, cover letters etc etc etc.

I feel that SIA is quite desperate in recruiting cabin crew because the turnover rate is pretty high for cabin crew. As long as you send in a decent photo of yourself and you meet the basic requirements, you'll be called up for the interview.

During the entire course of the interview, it is all about presenting yourself really really really well. I cannot emphasize more on that! This is because the successful candidate is working at the frontline, facing passengers from all nationalities. Being the national carrier, the girls are not only representing SIA, but also Singapore. Therefore, being abe to present yourself well is extremely important. I feel that this is also the reason why SIA has upped the requirements for cabin crew applications.

In view of the fierce competition, I feel that there are 3 important qualities that a successful candidate should possess in order to stand out from the rest. Firstly, you must speak fluent and well-articulated English. Secondly, you must know how to position yourself in every round of the interview process. Thirdly, you must possess a great smile.

Btw, please do not treat the other candidates as friends because all of you are actually fighting for the job. No doubt there is more than 1 opening for the job, you'll never know what the other candidates would do to outshine you. There is no fixed number to recruit, rather, its the quality of the girls who turned up that day. Therefore, its a relative thing whether you get selected or not.

Lastly, if you are less than 1.58m tall, please forget about getting the job. The HR people would not hesitate to ask you to leave just because you failed to meet the height requirements. There are girls who were asked to leave because they did not meet the height requirement at the very last round of interview where the HR people make their final height measurement.

Good luck to all.


Hi CuriousCat!
Thx for your advice! U sound like a hiring personnel! Do u happen to be one at SIA because u seems to know so much!! :)


Curious cat is NOT a cabin crew.. shes a WANNABE like us. Quit sending out wrong information to the ppl in this forum. GeEZ!! i'd ve thought we are auditioning for FEAR FACTOR or smthing..

wat "dun treat other candidates as friends".. the interviewer wants to see how u socialise n interact with others u silly gal!! u'll be wkg in a team.. a team!! i wldnt want to fly with sia anymore if they recruit ppl like u on board.. putting my life at risk.

my friend's 157cm n she got thru nevertheless. Let the interviewers decide if they wanna select them or not. You're not qualified so stop giving unsolicited advice. Breaks my heart to see selfish gals like u still exist.

KPO

Postby KPO » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 8:33 am

Congrats! wrote:Good job to the SQ - Wannabe Sotong Legion that is keeping this thread alive.

You have managed to surpass 100 pages of repetitive, semi-illiterate, stupid posts, despite the fact that every answer to every possible useful and useless question you could every ask has already been answered AT LEAST FIVE TIMES.

Keep it up, you can make it to 200! I have complete faith in your abilities, or rather your lack thereof.

Here, I'll help to keep the ball rolling:

Any gerls knows how to become SQ hostess I always want to give try to the job but do you have to know how to swim? I not swim so good lor.


Haha.. i doubt sia recruit jackasses like u.. i bet u're the kind who speaks with an irritating amoh-accent but with BROKEN ENGLISH.. maybe u'll be more likable if u dun try so hard POSER # 2!!

Fated

tinkerbelle

Postby Fated » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 9:12 am

Morning, Tinkerbele!

Actually I feel it is quite impossible HR will remember every applicants and I believe alot of applicants too. If not there wont be people who go for many attempts. But I really dunno wat wrong with mine.

Well, I changed my photo each time and re-draft my resume too. but den still no new despite i sent in 3 times! ridiculous and it not fair. i guess i just have no luck or it is fated. but den i dun wish to give up my dream so easily. so i always asked myself not to give up trying. but at times, when u work hard for it but u werent given an opportunity, dun u feel disheartened?

afterall, i not tat bad in my outlook... heee... there even pple who mistook me as SQ air stewardess before. pple who know me hv been asking me to try. but after my first attempt which i knew i really did it badly, i was selected for the 3 times i write in. really dunno y it is so for my case. feel hopeless...

Fated

Postby Fated » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 9:15 am

hee.... paiseh... typo.... got to clarify my last statement. i mean i were NOT selected despite writing in 3 times after my first attempt a year ago....

doubtful

Postby doubtful » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 9:16 am

tinkerbelle wrote:
Fated wrote:Today is oledi Wed. I guess those who did not received the invitation like me, guess we have to give up. Have to try the next round. Pretty sad that I am not shortlisted.

I not really good looking but okie look, slim... i dont take cover look and i just send a normal full length photo. URGH!!! but i still not invited. Sometimes really feel like giving up but it has been a childhood dream. Y do pple can go for so many attempts. yet I wish to have one more is so tough? NOT FAIR!!!! guess is just luck. and maybe the HR recognise me! so after the my first interview, they dun shortlist me anymore! is this possible?


*gasp* how is THAT possible? do u have any idea how many mails they rec during this "cattle-call" period?? wow, if im the HR n my boss expects me to remember all applicants that ive trashed, i'll RESIGN!!

keep ur hopes high, chin up!! maybe change ur photo? or re-draft ur cover letter.. :lol:


Hi tinkerbelle n fated, i also yet to receive my email from them yet.. Been checking my email everydae!! Sigh... Btw, i send in a "3/4" photo of myself (tat means the pix oni cover till my knee). You tink they will screen me out becos i did not send in a totally full length pix of myself (means from head till the toes?) Kinda pondering over this....sigh.... Wish all of us luck.

Btw, i saw some post that mentioned they had received invitations for interview on Sunday? Are you guys who go for Sundae interview guys or gals? :)

guest99

Postby guest99 » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 9:19 am

CuriousCat wrote:
Ex-SGirl wrote:
CuriousCat wrote:After reading the hundred pages of postings, I realised that most of the girls are asking the same questions over and over. And most of these questions are mainly on age, size, height, scars, cover letters etc etc etc.

I feel that SIA is quite desperate in recruiting cabin crew because the turnover rate is pretty high for cabin crew. As long as you send in a decent photo of yourself and you meet the basic requirements, you'll be called up for the interview.

During the entire course of the interview, it is all about presenting yourself really really really well. I cannot emphasize more on that! This is because the successful candidate is working at the frontline, facing passengers from all nationalities. Being the national carrier, the girls are not only representing SIA, but also Singapore. Therefore, being abe to present yourself well is extremely important. I feel that this is also the reason why SIA has upped the requirements for cabin crew applications.

In view of the fierce competition, I feel that there are 3 important qualities that a successful candidate should possess in order to stand out from the rest. Firstly, you must speak fluent and well-articulated English. Secondly, you must know how to position yourself in every round of the interview process. Thirdly, you must possess a great smile.

Btw, please do not treat the other candidates as friends because all of you are actually fighting for the job. No doubt there is more than 1 opening for the job, you'll never know what the other candidates would do to outshine you. There is no fixed number to recruit, rather, its the quality of the girls who turned up that day. Therefore, its a relative thing whether you get selected or not.

Lastly, if you are less than 1.58m tall, please forget about getting the job. The HR people would not hesitate to ask you to leave just because you failed to meet the height requirements. There are girls who were asked to leave because they did not meet the height requirement at the very last round of interview where the HR people make their final height measurement.

Good luck to all.


Hi, I do agree with all your points except for one "Btw, please do not treat the other candidates as friends because all of you are actually fighting for the job."
For those who are going for interview, please note that, at any time you are being scrutinized by by the interviewer. Being unfriendly to other candidates will minus points.

Even if you dun like them doesn't mean u can ignore them.... who knows they may become your passenger one day and you will regret if they shoot a complain letter about your service....


Well, when I put forth that statement, obviously I did not mean it as giving the rest of the candidates a hostile attitude during the interview! That would be an absurd thing to say to people whom are going for a service-oriented job, wouldn't it? Maybe I ought to explain myself eh?

You see, in order to survive the interview (and later, the job!), one must know how to manage the people and the environment around him/her to work it towards one's advantage. This is all part of EQ and its very essential for a service-oriented job.

Therefore, "Btw, please do not treat the other candidates as friends because all of you are actually fighting for the job." did not literally mean you have to be unfriendly to the other candidates. What it meant was the SIA FA hopeful should know what is the right strategy to play in such a situation. Don't forget, SIA has a 6000 cabin crew strength. Its all about the people management game here.


why dun u keep ur advice to urself UNTIL u get selected?? and do as u preach my dear!! y are u here? reading all tips n advice other unselfish ppl wrote?? so zip it k.. how do u know its ppl mgmt?? how do u know wat mks them tick? U dun even have a clue abt the culture..let alone wat makes them tick. why r u saying all these things? Is it a plot to mk ur competitors confused? Playing mind-games now huh??

Guest

Postby Guest » Thu, 30 Jun 2005 9:20 am

doubtful wrote:
tinkerbelle wrote:
Fated wrote:Today is oledi Wed. I guess those who did not received the invitation like me, guess we have to give up. Have to try the next round. Pretty sad that I am not shortlisted.

I not really good looking but okie look, slim... i dont take cover look and i just send a normal full length photo. URGH!!! but i still not invited. Sometimes really feel like giving up but it has been a childhood dream. Y do pple can go for so many attempts. yet I wish to have one more is so tough? NOT FAIR!!!! guess is just luck. and maybe the HR recognise me! so after the my first interview, they dun shortlist me anymore! is this possible?


*gasp* how is THAT possible? do u have any idea how many mails they rec during this "cattle-call" period?? wow, if im the HR n my boss expects me to remember all applicants that ive trashed, i'll RESIGN!!

keep ur hopes high, chin up!! maybe change ur photo? or re-draft ur cover letter.. :lol:


Hi tinkerbelle n fated, i also yet to receive my email from them yet.. Been checking my email everydae!! Sigh... Btw, i send in a "3/4" photo of myself (tat means the pix oni cover till my knee). You tink they will screen me out becos i did not send in a totally full length pix of myself (means from head till the toes?) Kinda pondering over this....sigh.... Wish all of us luck.

Btw, i saw some post that mentioned they had received invitations for interview on Sunday? Are you guys who go for Sundae interview guys or gals? :)


doubtful,

They'll probably ask you to chop of from your knee onwards if you get selected for the job. Because that's what the resume states and show.

Please, ask more intelligent questions, don't behave this way for your interview (IF you ever get in), or you'll definitely be out...wise up. :twisted:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests