Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
salvana
Chatter
Chatter

Postby salvana » Mon, 26 May 2008 2:49 pm

hello Yoshiaki,

Geez... ur nickname is cool man... wahahha.... :lol: (juz like my GM's name)

nyway... am not the senior here though... but guess i can help to answer wif ur qns. :D

1) Is it a must to have some experience with customer service to be considered?

I wun say it's a must... but that'll be an advantage.

2) Is age an important consideration? I am 27 btw.

I dun think it really matters.... but as i reckoned.... there's actually an age ceiling for FS and FSS. Juz that it's not written in black and white...
but well... i dun think 27 is old though... as long as u look presentably young even though u r 28 or 29... think SIA will still consider u.

3) Is it not possible to have a total career switch from other industries? (I spent a substantial part of my career in sales and marketing)

Why do u think it isn't possible to switch industry? I definitely think it is possible... I myself is currently working in logistic and supply chain industry.... totally off from airline customer service industry.... i've been working in this industry ever since i graduated from my tertiary education till now.... so, i believe we also spend quite a substantial period of time working in our own industry,heh? :wink: )

4) If you are the invigilator that recognise me from the above can you enlighten me as to where about I should improve on cos I am really keen to join SIA despite the parts mentioned during interview

hahaha.... i guess i muz b a fortune teller already.... :lol:
nyway... i'm very sure U HAVE WAT IT TAKES!!! to be an FS.... sth juz went wrong in ur last round of interview... u were in there (the room)... no1 else here can tell u wat exactly went wrong.... juz try to review what u said, body language, bla bla bla bla.... again, I'm sure somehow u'll be able to figure out where and what went wrong.

Try again next time AFTER ur BAN PERIOD is OVER 8-)
Dreams Do Come True

Yoshiaki

Postby Yoshiaki » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:15 pm

Hey Salvana :) Thanks for the heads up.

Cos the main consideration after reviewing wat went on in the room was that I was sorely lacking in the customer service exp. Despite trying to asssure that sales and marketing is customer service in different perspective.

I personally believe that career switch is possible, just hope to be able to demonstrate to them wat I was saying is true.

Looks wise, not a screamer, but shud be ok for my age :lol: its again perspective.

Lol try to help me calculate the odds for me to get in to the next round yeah? :p

Cherios!

Velvetrose23

Postby Velvetrose23 » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:16 pm

I really want this job. I really wonder what they are looking out for. my friend who is a cabin crew with sia told me that it was not about looks, flawless skin, or your height. It just depends on your luck.

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Re: 25th May Interview at Sheraton

Postby hafiz_ » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:18 pm

Yoshiaki wrote:
1) Is it a must to have some experience with customer service to be considered?

2) Is age an important consideration? I am 27 btw.

3) Is it not possible to have a total career switch from other industries? (I spent a substantial part of my career in sales and marketing)

4) If you are the invigilator that recognise me from the above can you enlighten me as to where about I should improve on cos I am really keen to join SIA despite the parts mentioned during interview

Yoshiaki

firstly, making it to management means you do have what it takes to be a cc. just gotta tweak a lil bit and add some final touches and voila! haha. anyway...

1) i've had friends who have had no prior experience in customer service but as long as you can show them that you're willing to learn that will be fine. but i'm sure your stint in sales is part of customer service, no?

2) i've got friends who got in at 27 too. so don't worry!

3) it is possible but that could easily be a question they will ask you. so you gotta think thru what's your answer gonna be should they ask you that.

4) the interviewer's not gonna be here but you can try practising in front of the mirror and observe your posture, smile, hand gestures and all. can practise with a friend also. :)

jia you!

Yoshiaki

Postby Yoshiaki » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:21 pm

Velvetrose23 wrote:I really want this job. I really wonder what they are looking out for. my friend who is a cabin crew with sia told me that it was not about looks, flawless skin, or your height. It just depends on your luck.

hey velvet, think she is rite and wrong at the same time.

Many a times, we will think that by planning for everything, things will go rite, but as proven many times over before (Murphy's Law) applies, there's too many variable components for us to plan for, but it helps definitely to prepare yourself mentally for wat is to come so that you will get a rude shock.

The other extreme would be to do as lil and depend on luck, as history taught us - the game of luck always favors the banker, so my take is not to rely too much on the unstable component.

I too would really like to have the job, but we can only try to figure out what is required and work towards it. Did you head down for the interview yesterday? Or are you intending to for the next one?

Yoshiaki

Re: 25th May Interview at Sheraton

Postby Yoshiaki » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:24 pm

[quote="hafiz
firstly, making it to management means you do have what it takes to be a cc. just gotta tweak a lil bit and add some final touches and voila! haha. anyway...

1) i've had friends who have had no prior experience in customer service but as long as you can show them that you're willing to learn that will be fine. but i'm sure your stint in sales is part of customer service, no?

2) i've got friends who got in at 27 too. so don't worry!

3) it is possible but that could easily be a question they will ask you. so you gotta think thru what's your answer gonna be should they ask you that.

4) the interviewer's not gonna be here but you can try practising in front of the mirror and observe your posture, smile, hand gestures and all. can practise with a friend also. :)

jia you![/quote]

Lol thanks for the morale booster, cos was really feeling super lousy last evening :( Even got to the extent of asking my fren if I could help out at his pub over the wkends just to chalk up some exp!

Will definitely run thru the scenarios and hopefully with advice from seniors ard here to pick up some pointers :)

Btw are you with SIA currently?

Yoshiaki

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hafiz_ » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:33 pm

Yoshiaki,

i'm not with SIA. yet. i hope. haha. cleared all 4 rounds of interview during the previous walk-in in april. now still waiting for the all-important call from them. it's really worrying when it's already been almost 4 weeks. :(

Yoshiaki

Postby Yoshiaki » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:37 pm

hafiz_ wrote:Yoshiaki,

i'm not with SIA. yet. i hope. haha. cleared all 4 rounds of interview during the previous walk-in in april. now still waiting for the all-important call from them. it's really worrying when it's already been almost 4 weeks. :(

hi Hafiz,

Just curious, when you said that you were waiting for their call is it for the training?

If so does your notice required commence from therebout?

Yoshiaki

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hafiz_ » Mon, 26 May 2008 3:46 pm

Yoshiaki,

yep yep. waiting for the call regarding my training commencement. they will normally ask you when you can start and stuff. cuz those eople who are working have different notice periods which need to be submitted. i told them i'll only end my exams on the 4th of june. and that i've got reservist in july. so dunno when they'll schedule me for training also. :?

salvana
Chatter
Chatter

Postby salvana » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:05 pm

hey yoshiaki,

hm... CS experience... well, pretty much i think u gotta assure the interviewers that u r more than willing to learn... (from the seniors in the industry who are much more junior (in terms of age) than u)

well... personally again, i think sales & marketing is somehow related to customer servicing experience.... anybody care to correct on this? :?
even u dun get the chance to serve end user directly... i'm sure somehow other departments in ur office are also ur customers (well, what i'm trying to say is: procurement dept. is servicing customer service dept. as their customer --> this is more to a backstage customer servicing....)

Oh well... coz I oso dun have any full time experience in customer servicing... but i'm doing those backstage customer servicing rite now(the example that i quoted above) 8-)

Ultimately, it depends on how u convince and assure the nterviewers on what they thought on ur weaknesses r.

Here're some points that I could think of how to assure the interviewers:
1. Show them that u really want this job
2. Show them ur willingness to accept the paycut (if u r really getting a paycut) + getting orders from younger staffs + irregular working hrs + bla bla bla bla
3. Show them ur humble & initiative side
4. Tell them how u can help/contribute
5. Hm.... wat else,heh? Anybody care to add on? :D
Dreams Do Come True

zetpeh
Regular
Regular

Postby zetpeh » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:23 pm

salvana wrote:hey yoshiaki,

hm... CS experience... well, pretty much i think u gotta assure the interviewers that u r more than willing to learn... (from the seniors in the industry who are much more junior (in terms of age) than u)

well... personally again, i think sales & marketing is somehow related to customer servicing experience.... anybody care to correct on this? :?
even u dun get the chance to serve end user directly... i'm sure somehow other departments in ur office are also ur customers (well, what i'm trying to say is: procurement dept. is servicing customer service dept. as their customer --> this is more to a backstage customer servicing....)

Oh well... coz I oso dun have any full time experience in customer servicing... but i'm doing those backstage customer servicing rite now(the example that i quoted above) 8-)

Ultimately, it depends on how u convince and assure the nterviewers on what they thought on ur weaknesses r.

Here're some points that I could think of how to assure the interviewers:
1. Show them that u really want this job
2. Show them ur willingness to accept the paycut (if u r really getting a paycut) + getting orders from younger staffs + irregular working hrs + bla bla bla bla
3. Show them ur humble & initiative side
4. Tell them how u can help/contribute
5. Hm.... wat else,heh? Anybody care to add on? :D

Most pro they will try to pick on yr weakness ... you have to elaborate how you could overcome it...

Example for me,
-they asked if im able to adapt to a young environment if im training there(Im 29 this year thx Q hee) told me dat my present natural market is around that age group and i would loved to hang around wit younger adults as they would inspired me and make me feel young
-Asked me why i failed my O'level, (told them due to working at a young age to laid off the family burden, if having the chance i would able to perform better.

- Positive, smile and humble always- during interview, observe and attentive

try again and i do wish u could perform better... and fyi i failed 2 mgmt b4 i got in

Yoshiaki

Postby Yoshiaki » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:30 pm

Hey Zetpeh :)

Thanks for sharing, how long have you been with SIA already?

They did bring out the point that I have lotsa mileage for my age (been working for quite some time - currently 27)

So I guess I will as have to as mentioned, reassure them that I will be ready for the challanges. They did ask me which areas do I forseee that I will be facing challanges which I honestly told them would be on the F & B side, kinda caught me off guard guess that was where I failed :(

Have to work on more roleplays to get into the next round and hopefully join the crew soon :wink:
Momento Mori

zetpeh
Regular
Regular

Postby zetpeh » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:32 pm

Yoshiaki wrote:Hey Zetpeh :)

Thanks for sharing, how long have you been with SIA already?

They did bring out the point that I have lotsa mileage for my age (been working for quite some time - currently 27)

So I guess I will as have to as mentioned, reassure them that I will be ready for the challanges. They did ask me which areas do I forseee that I will be facing challanges which I honestly told them would be on the F & B side, kinda caught me off guard guess that was where I failed :(

Have to work on more roleplays to get into the next round and hopefully join the crew soon :wink:

i just join ... on 27 April... waiting for my traing to start ... well least i got better advantage as im 10years in Cs and 2 years in marketing... i dont mind to share if u got any queries in cs...

salvana
Chatter
Chatter

Postby salvana » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:35 pm

yeap... agree wif zetpeh....
elaborate to the interviewers on how u overcome those weaknesses.. and at the same time... add on that u can definitely work things out. :D

as for my case, coz i'm currently a team leader in my company ( ah thau lah... telling ppl wat to do... wahahha... :lol: ) the interviewer keep highlighted that i'll be getting instructions from younger staffs instead... i told them this definitely not an issue for me... coz my leading style is not dictating. i always believe to work as a team.. a team can only perform when the team members are working happily together. so, age definitely not an issue for me. I'm leading ppl who are older and younger than me at the same time. And on the other hand, I really dun mind to receive instruction from younger Cabin crews becoz they definitely have more experience than i do... in fact, I do admire them that with such a young age they're able to perform these tasks... :)

Yoshiaki... dun give up!! Keep practising on how u can convince the interviewer... i am very SURE u CAN GET the JOB in ur next attempt!
Have faith in urself... age is juz a figure (unless u do have some family or wateva planning). and yeah.. btw, I'm juz 1yr younger than you. 8-)

PERSISTENCE is the KEY to SUCCESS :wink:
Dreams Do Come True

Yoshiaki

Postby Yoshiaki » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:36 pm

oh yeah, speaking of which, wat are the main challanges that crew faces when they are on the job? I was posed this qn and in my mind I was like - I would only know when I m faced with that.

Thus was hoping seniors flying can give some insights as to the challanges faced. :wink: So least I will be more prepared mentally wat to expect and how to over come situations :)
Momento Mori