Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
User avatar
UrsulaJoan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed, 25 Apr 2007

Postby UrsulaJoan » Wed, 21 May 2008 4:38 pm

xanngac wrote: Let's just say they decided to take in 100 people in this round of interview, do you think you would want to go there earlier so that at least the quota won't be filled up as yet?


Hi xanngac, may I ask if they really do recruit about 100 people each round of recruitment session, or is that just a number you gave as a figure of speech?

And also, can I find out if they actually do check our teeth at the kebaya round? Cos my teeth may be slightly yellowish.

Thanks!
Success is a journey, not a goal~

poohie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed, 21 May 2008

Postby poohie » Wed, 21 May 2008 7:57 pm

I really statue to those people whom have tried and fail yet still have the determination to try again. I failed twice (april and last dec ) and i feel very demoralised thereafter and everytime i want to try again its just give me the creeps. Even said so i still wish to try again. Im 26yrs old this year. Does it affect the chances of getting in ?

The previous time i went to try (Apr) i tried to master my courage to speak more as the 1st time i went i merely say 1-2 sentences and sat down coz i was too nervous when all eyes are on me. But the 2nd time i went, i reali master up my courage to speak yet i still failed. I really duno how to pass this round, everytime get boot out on round 1.

Any advise for me ?

User avatar
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby Abercrombie » Wed, 21 May 2008 9:14 pm

UrsulaJoan wrote:Hi xanngac, may I ask if they really do recruit about 100 people each round of recruitment session, or is that just a number you gave as a figure of speech?

And also, can I find out if they actually do check our teeth at the kebaya round? Cos my teeth may be slightly yellowish.

Thanks!


I don't think that there will be any quota to meet for each interview. All the successful candidates will have a different available start date for the training, ranging from immediate to 3-4 months, so SIA will just have to keep filling up the classes weekk by week for the next few months until they have reach the final numbers of crew that they need for future expansion or supplementing the attribution rate. There will be crew resigning every month, numbering from 50-200 depending on the job market.

As for the checks during the interview everything will be check from your finger nails to your posture (including your teeth). As to what extend and how they accept or reject each candidates, only the interviewer can give you the answer. Good Luck to all who are trying :wink:

User avatar
UrsulaJoan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed, 25 Apr 2007

Postby UrsulaJoan » Thu, 22 May 2008 12:40 am

Abercrombie wrote:As for the checks during the interview everything will be check from your finger nails to your posture (including your teeth). As to what extend and how they accept or reject each candidates, only the interviewer can give you the answer. Good Luck to all who are trying :wink:


Hi Abercrombie, thanks for the info. Can i ask during the check for teeth right, do they actually ask you to open our mouths and see if our teeth are acceptable? Or do they just generally check, like take a look when we smile? Cos' my teeth generally looks fine if someone doesn't look closely, but if a person stands close to me then the person will be able to see that my teeth are not very white.

Also, is the teeth check conducted during the kebaya round where they check our skin and stuff?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks!!
Success is a journey, not a goal~

User avatar
xanngac
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 432
Joined: Sat, 06 Jan 2007

Postby xanngac » Thu, 22 May 2008 12:42 am

poohie wrote:I really statue to those people whom have tried and fail yet still have the determination to try again. I failed twice (april and last dec ) and i feel very demoralised thereafter and everytime i want to try again its just give me the creeps. Even said so i still wish to try again. Im 26yrs old this year. Does it affect the chances of getting in ?

The previous time i went to try (Apr) i tried to master my courage to speak more as the 1st time i went i merely say 1-2 sentences and sat down coz i was too nervous when all eyes are on me. But the 2nd time i went, i reali master up my courage to speak yet i still failed. I really duno how to pass this round, everytime get boot out on round 1.

Any advise for me ?


Darling, not everyone got in on first try, at least I didnt too! If you really think you have what it takes and really want this career so badly, what is 2 times of failure? Every failure should not be a stumbling block, it should be a learning experience for you to better yourself right. :)

As for your age, I do not think its a problem at all unless you set it as a limitation for yourself. There are many others who got in at 26 as well. Why not take it that your age makes you a more mature person who can carry yourself better than those who are probably much younger than you? If you keep thinking negatively, you have already failed half the battle without even fighting. Keep your mind positive and feel good about yourself, confidence will show.

As for how to pass the first round, I suggest you read up the pages in the forum, there are abundant tips given by people. If you really want this job, you wouldnt mind spending time to read through the precious information shared by everyone. :)

Having the courage to speak is not enough, it is the content that you speak and the way you speak that is important. If you have problem speaking in public, better get your group of friends to practice with you till you are comfortable to speak when a group of people are looking at you. Good luck! :)
And so my journey begins... :)

lavender_shoyru
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue, 13 May 2008

Postby lavender_shoyru » Thu, 22 May 2008 12:39 pm

They check teeth too?? My teeth not nice one....not straight(not properly grow) n white....any chances i can get in?

How many hours need to travel for a month?

poohie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed, 21 May 2008

Postby poohie » Thu, 22 May 2008 9:04 pm

xanngac wrote:
poohie wrote:I really statue to those people whom have tried and fail yet still have the determination to try again. I failed twice (april and last dec ) and i feel very demoralised thereafter and everytime i want to try again its just give me the creeps. Even said so i still wish to try again. Im 26yrs old this year. Does it affect the chances of getting in ?

The previous time i went to try (Apr) i tried to master my courage to speak more as the 1st time i went i merely say 1-2 sentences and sat down coz i was too nervous when all eyes are on me. But the 2nd time i went, i reali master up my courage to speak yet i still failed. I really duno how to pass this round, everytime get boot out on round 1.

Any advise for me ?


Darling, not everyone got in on first try, at least I didnt too! If you really think you have what it takes and really want this career so badly, what is 2 times of failure? Every failure should not be a stumbling block, it should be a learning experience for you to better yourself right. :)

As for your age, I do not think its a problem at all unless you set it as a limitation for yourself. There are many others who got in at 26 as well. Why not take it that your age makes you a more mature person who can carry yourself better than those who are probably much younger than you? If you keep thinking negatively, you have already failed half the battle without even fighting. Keep your mind positive and feel good about yourself, confidence will show.

As for how to pass the first round, I suggest you read up the pages in the forum, there are abundant tips given by people. If you really want this job, you wouldnt mind spending time to read through the precious information shared by everyone. :)

Having the courage to speak is not enough, it is the content that you speak and the way you speak that is important. If you have problem speaking in public, better get your group of friends to practice with you till you are comfortable to speak when a group of people are looking at you. Good luck! :)


Hi thks for your encouragement. In fact the 2nd round before i went i kinda of like memorise wat to say. Perhaps its in me that i do not have confidence of myself and when i fail the interview thereafter i feel quite low morale. That is y i really statue to those who have gone so many attempt even tho they have fail

Another factors that makes me lose confidence is perhap my teeth is slightly crook and i dnt hv a flawless complexion. In fact i went to get my teeth fixed as most of them i saw have straight row of teeth. Complexion wise, i have open pores and not that perfect with alittle bits of small pimples. Kinda inferior when i go for the interview many of them have nice flawless complexion.

I do have problem speaking in public as im more to the shy type and going for the interview im more to acting confidence then i really is. In fact in a groups of friends, i seldom speakl i more to a one to one person. Perhap my acting in confidence is not convincing :)

higgledy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon, 24 Oct 2005

Postby higgledy » Fri, 23 May 2008 12:07 pm

Poohie,

I think if you are genuinely interested in the job, you would go through the threads and read. Not everyone is lucky on 1st attempt as what xanngac mentioned. If you are easily defeated cos you think you are not selected twice, then maybe you should sit down & reflect if you are suitable for this job. You are bound to face challenges in life & especially when flying. If you put down yourself then why bother to try the 2nd time previously? Since you know where you have gone wrong for the last 2 tries, then try to improve.

I have been booted out many times in the first round & finally managed to go management round last recruitment. ALthough I failed & after crying, life still goes on. Nonetheless, I am still hopeful & am going for it. Despite my sis & other friends who tell me that I have the "Never Say Die Spirit" or been teased before, I am not going to give up. Unless I know I have really given all my very best till the end but yet still fail.

Regarding your skin condition, I believe that you can do something to improve it. Do your skin regime & mask regularly or have facials done if possible. It is good since you mentioned that you are intending to get your teeth fixed. But I think if it is not that obvious when you speak then should not pose a problem. As for the fear of speaking in public, I bet you are not the only one. I, too faced the same problem & will stammer & utter nonsense at the interview. I even trembled initially... But you still have to really try to beef up in your speech & look confidently at all times. Think about it carefully, if this is really where & what you want to be. Good luck! :)

babyhugss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 23 May 2008

Postby babyhugss » Fri, 23 May 2008 12:18 pm

Girls, just wanna check, if a stewardess with a diploma cert and a stewardess with just an O levels cert, will the 2 of them be paid differently? E.g their basic pay and incentives.

cythx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun, 16 Mar 2008

Postby cythx » Fri, 23 May 2008 1:12 pm

babyhugss wrote:Girls, just wanna check, if a stewardess with a diploma cert and a stewardess with just an O levels cert, will the 2 of them be paid differently? E.g their basic pay and incentives.


Their basic will be different.
Some ppl watch things happen, some ppl let things happen, but I make things happen... The sky is my limit!

smurfieee
Regular
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed, 26 Mar 2008
Contact:

Postby smurfieee » Fri, 23 May 2008 2:10 pm

?? the basic between diploma and Os are the same...only degree has a different of a hundred..
::s.m.u.r.f.i.e.e.e::

User avatar
mya
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu, 24 Apr 2008
Location: malaysia

Postby mya » Fri, 23 May 2008 4:42 pm

hello there!!

heard MAS is recruiting now..
so.... for FA wannabees....this is ur chance! :)

cythx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun, 16 Mar 2008

Postby cythx » Fri, 23 May 2008 5:01 pm

but i heard that MAS for the first 2 years cannot fly international....
Some ppl watch things happen, some ppl let things happen, but I make things happen... The sky is my limit!

User avatar
mya
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu, 24 Apr 2008
Location: malaysia

Postby mya » Fri, 23 May 2008 5:22 pm

yup.. i think so..

2 yrs for domestic destinations.. u'll fly to diff places in msia then after dat can go international..

calvink
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 381
Joined: Sun, 17 Sep 2006

Postby calvink » Fri, 23 May 2008 5:51 pm

WHere did u heard that MAS is recruiting.. ive heard numerous stuff that they are recruiting but there is no news about that.... due to cost cutting..


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests