Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Re: hi all im new here (:

Postby Abercrombie » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 3:47 am

glam wrote:hello all.. been reading this forum for quite some time.
may i ask how old are u girls?
i'm 19 this year, just gotten my A lvls result, am considering to go for the interview this coming sunday.. any advice..?

I personally feel that it is best that you can join as early as possible.

1) You will have more "years" to get promoted before you reach the age limits for the various rank.

2)You will still be young if you decide to quit flying.

Considering the fact that majority of the FSS that qualified for promotion to the Leading rank has been flying for 6 years and above. It will take even longer to get to the Chief Stewardess rank, so how old will you be when you have to quit to have a baby or to get a ground job? Most FSS quit on the 5 or 10 year mark. If you are 19yrs old, you will still be only 29 yrs old when you quite on the 10 year but if you join at 25 yrs old you will be either 30 or 35 yrs old. At that age its going to be difficult to start building a career with a good income on ground.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 4:28 am

Abercrombie wrote:

At that age its going to be difficult to start building a career with a good income on ground.

Abercrombie,
You are among the sharpest here but I am not sure what you say is true. Is it not true that many of the ground jobs require considerable experience? The station manager certainly does and the lady I know who works in customer service did a stint as a stewardess prior although I have no knowledge of what qualifications she possesses.

superpinkystar
Regular
Regular

Postby superpinkystar » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 9:45 am

Abercrombie wrote:
glam wrote:hello all.. been reading this forum for quite some time.
may i ask how old are u girls?
i'm 19 this year, just gotten my A lvls result, am considering to go for the interview this coming sunday.. any advice..?

I personally feel that it is best that you can join as early as possible.

1) You will have more "years" to get promoted before you reach the age limits for the various rank.

2)You will still be young if you decide to quit flying.

Considering the fact that majority of the FSS that qualified for promotion to the Leading rank has been flying for 6 years and above. It will take even longer to get to the Chief Stewardess rank, so how old will you be when you have to quit to have a baby or to get a ground job? Most FSS quit on the 5 or 10 year mark. If you are 19yrs old, you will still be only 29 yrs old when you quite on the 10 year but if you join at 25 yrs old you will be either 30 or 35 yrs old. At that age its going to be difficult to start building a career with a good income on ground.

Dear Abercrombie,
i must agree that joining early has its' pros and cons. Have you ever considered that if one's first job is flying and when he/she decides to stop flying, the only experience they have would be flying. thus, finding jobs would be rather limited. Mostly, would be either PR, Hotel/Travel related industries.

They would still have to start from scratch.

Well, i am 25 this year. i have been trying for SQ since i was in university. I got in only in February's walk in.

Having failed management back then, i personally felt that i was inexperienced. which is why i decided to work first before trying again. moreover, it's to prepare myself mentally for the culture up in the air. service line is never easy to begin with. Especially when you have to face grumpy, jet laggy passengers who treat you like dirt. What about seniors? that is also a hurdle each newbie has to cross.

Should i decide to stop flying 2 or 3 years later, i would still have some work experience beside flying.

Thus, this is also a good time to gain entrepreneurial motivation. Who knows, when i travel around the globe,i might be able to bring in some fresh ideas back home. Start my own business, etc etc...

However, that doesn't mean that i cannot build a career with SQ. it depends on each individual how hard they want to work.

hard work = good returns.

so are you trying to say that those older ones will have no job prospects if we join SQ now?
*smile always

Sokeai
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Help!

Postby Sokeai » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:48 am

Lynnhuang wrote:Been scrolling through all the past post, looking for a section that what outfit will be best suit for the interview. Before my eyes goes half blinded, and blurry, I guess its better for me to post my question.

I will be going for the interview on 16th March, I have friends telling me you may consider wearing a blazer and I've to dress formal; totally in a state of muddle now. Well, appearance is really important for a good first impression, never want to screw this up. Please advise =]

I was the only person who wore a blazer for my mgmt rd lol! They are quite particular about appearance i heard. No harm wearing, you definately look more formal with blazer.
Hello there!

misshoong

Re: Help!

Postby misshoong » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 2:14 pm

Sokeai wrote:
Lynnhuang wrote:Been scrolling through all the past post, looking for a section that what outfit will be best suit for the interview. Before my eyes goes half blinded, and blurry, I guess its better for me to post my question.

I will be going for the interview on 16th March, I have friends telling me you may consider wearing a blazer and I've to dress formal; totally in a state of muddle now. Well, appearance is really important for a good first impression, never want to screw this up. Please advise =]

I was the only person who wore a blazer for my mgmt rd lol! They are quite particular about appearance i heard. No harm wearing, you definately look more formal with blazer.

Hahaha sokeai i wore a blazer too. Better overdress than underdress. Although it's only an interview for flight attendant, u still wanna appear professional and serious about the job.

Personally i feel the dressing helped improve credibility and i got spared questions like "why should i hire you, how can u contribute, are u able to take hardship blah blah.."

llentimes
Regular
Regular

Postby llentimes » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 3:02 pm

to Lynnhuang.
I guess u should wear something u feel comfortable with. I have girls wearing dresses getting through as well. But like Sokeai said with a blazar, u will look even more presentable! It gonna be a whole day thing if u do passes all, so I can forsee you wanting take out out your blazar and its not really very cold when ur all nervous waiting for the next round. whaa. Just feel comfortable with what ur wearing. And bring some food & water as well, just in case u dont have time to go for lunch. Anyway, what time u intend to be there on the 16th?

All the best
"Whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, beliving , ye shall receive" Mathew 21:22

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Abercrombie » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 6:32 pm

You are very right to say that the experience gain from being a Flight Attendant suit best to be either in the PR, Hotel/Travel related industries. Sales related job is the other option. Others have went on to start their own small businesses. If the above does not really interest you, then you will have to start from scratch in your preferred job choice usually related to your previous education.

The situation here in Singapore now is that businesses are looking for younger workers, they will work them till they are in their 40's then they will start looking for their replacement. Its going to be difficult to look for or even keeping to a job at that age. Many a time that means taking a significant pay cut as a new fresh graduate would definitely cost. Ironically, you will be task to show the newbie the roles of your job so that he can take over you in a few years time.

Another point to note is that employer here are not willing to employ married woman in their 30's as they are soon going to get pregnant even more if she is inexperience. The time taken to train her would be wasted if she decided to be a fulltime house wife. This is being reported in the local newspaper recently. That explain why Singapore is experiencing a decline birth rate as the living expenses had gone rocketing up and the prospect of woman getting or keeping to their job is low.

I had many friends who had been posted the question " Are you planning to have a baby soon? ? How do you plan to take care of your baby and perform at your work at the same time?" during their interviews.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Abercrombie » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 6:49 pm

Many crew dislike the idea of working as a ground staff as the job is very similar when it comes to dealing will passenger who miss their connecting flight,missing baggage,not getting their preferred seats etc...etc... (believe me, there are many of them around) With a shift working hours and a pay that is half of what they will get when they are flying.

SIA don't mind taking in "older" crew as they expect most of them to quit after 10 years of flying. A new crew also cost less and are more enthusiastic in their job with less bad working habit. That explain the drop in the service standard provided as there are not much experience crew left and those still around are reluctant to teach the new crew as they will take over them in no time. When you teach the student well enough they will take over the teacher !! That explain why the bitching has reduce as people care less now...

So...to join or not to join???

You got to have a plan on what is your next step or you will be stuck in the airline and when the time comes when you have to quit, you will have to take a significant pay cut in your next job. Save as much $$$ as you can so you can have a smooth transition to your new job and don't overly commit yourself financially as this job is not a secure one especially for the girls. For me its still join young and quit young, so that you will be in a better position to prepare yourself for the middle stage of your life.

From my experience, working hard is no longer the golden rule, working smart is the new rule now. Working life is complicated, you must know the rules and play along with it. Working hard will keep you your job but not promotion in the airline as it is just too big for the upper management to notice you out of the 7000 crew, if you know what I mean. Its not who you knows, but who knows you which will determine your success.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Abercrombie » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 7:07 pm

superpinkystar wrote:
so are you trying to say that those older ones will have no job prospects if we join SQ now?

Seriously if you ask me about job prospect as a Flight Attendant and looking at the time line to get to the top as an IFSS......If you are a super high flyer, that will means :

FSS --> LSS = 5yrs (7-9yrs normally)
LSS --> CSS = 5yrs (8-11yrs normally)
CSS --> IFSS = 6yrs (?? Not easy as there is not many around)

So at least 16yrs if you were a high flyer. Joining at 25yrs add 16yrs means you will be there will you are 41yrs old. The maximum age limit for an IFSS is 45yrs plus extension of 2-3 years upon review. What are you gonna to do till 67yrs old? Thats another 20 years away. Does this looks like a career with a good prospect :roll:

Gone were the days where promotion to each rank takes 3.5yrs to 8yrs, now it take forever...... :cry:

angeljiaying

Postby angeljiaying » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 8:06 pm

hey ppl! im back=) heh i pass my medical !=D startin training on 19 march batch 958? anyone same batch?
=D

caryssa
Chatter
Chatter

Postby caryssa » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 8:14 pm

hey jiaying..i have 2 frens in ur batch...tommy n liyuin..1 from kl n 1 fr penang...hehe.. =)

angeljiaying

Postby angeljiaying » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 8:17 pm

caryssa wrote:hey jiaying..i have 2 frens in ur batch...tommy n liyuin..1 from kl n 1 fr penang...hehe.. =)

hey! serious ar! r u in the same batch too?
=D

superpinkystar
Regular
Regular

Postby superpinkystar » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 8:38 pm

Abercrombie wrote:
superpinkystar wrote:

Seriously if you ask me about job prospect as a Flight Attendant and looking at the time line to get to the top as an IFSS......If you are a super high flyer, that will means :

FSS --> LSS = 5yrs (7-9yrs normally)
LSS --> CSS = 5yrs (8-11yrs normally)
CSS --> IFSS = 6yrs (?? Not easy as there is not many around)

So at least 16yrs if you were a high flyer. Joining at 25yrs add 16yrs means you will be there will you are 41yrs old. The maximum age limit for an IFSS is 45yrs plus extension of 2-3 years upon review. What are you gonna to do till 67yrs old? Thats another 20 years away. Does this looks like a career with a good prospect :roll:

Gone were the days where promotion to each rank takes 3.5yrs to 8yrs, now it take forever...... :cry:

oh well.
one step at a time.
you need not remind me time and time again that i am old.

i did think about all these before i started flying. as i have mentioned earlier on, all these are a once in a lifetime experience.

i do not expect to serve in the air till i am really an aeroplane aunty.

btw, are you a FA?
*smile always

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Abercrombie » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 9:16 pm

Sorry if I give you the impression that I think that 25yrs old is old [-o< When I am 25yrs old I have so much fun, to me its my best time :P

The post is merely to answer the question about joining at 19 vs latter. I am a happy go lucky person, as long as its fun I will go do it, if given a choice I will still join as a crew even when I am 30yrs old, I don't care so much. The above post is to give more insight to those wanting to take up this job as most of them will not think about all this so call "career path of a FSS" At least now they can't say say nobody told them all this before :wink: I guess the lure of becoming a Stewardess is so great that even after knowing the background they will still sign the contract :P If I am a FA will I get sack by the company for telling so much? :-$

cherylburning

I'm new here...

Postby cherylburning » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 9:24 pm

i'm turning 28 this year and i wanted to try for the SIA interview this 15 March in Malaysia. I have hairy hands and i only have 4 credits and the rest passes in my SPM. will all these pose a threat for the interview?
I am very concerned about this as i failed my interview last time in the first round :?