Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
User avatar
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby Abercrombie » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:03 pm

pinklittlefigure wrote:Hello guys and girls, I came back from the 270108 walk in interview with good news! As for those who did not manage to get through this time round, fear not as there will be a upcoming write-in in about 2-3 weeks time if I'm not wrong. I'm glad all the major hurdles have been cleared and now I'm currently left with medical.

Let me share how my day when by.

KEY NOTE: SMILE AT ALL TIMES WITH SINCERITY

It would be a wise choice to be at a walk in interview at least an hour earlier than the stipulated time. I reach Sheraton Tower at 8:30am and I was very lucky to have Li'e (iwannafly) to be in the queue beforehand.
I was grouped along with Serene (eneres) and Siti Sarah in Grp9 while Li'e (iwannafly) was in another group. Valeria (mouse) was there early thus she managed to be placed into Grp1. After getting your application form verified, you will be ask to be seated till your turn for the self intro round.

Self intro round
This round has 10 interviewees to 2 interviewers and this round can be prepared. I suggest fellow candidates to try creating your own self intro and practice it till it is etched into your mind. Once something is deeply embedded into your mind, saying it would make it somehow more convincing and you will not fluster that much.

I think the most important tip to catch the attention of the interviewers would be to come up with something interesting about yourself. You can go along with the normal introduction such as name, age, workplace and hobbies but do inject a portion of something memorable that happened to yourself. After the standard self intro, we were ask the question below and the answer I gave was as below

"Why do you want to be a SIA air stewardess?"
"I want to be a SIA air stewardess because the career path is challenging and rewarding. This career give me the chance to travel to different destinations and experience other cultures while fulfilling my passion of providing quality customer care and service. I believe that I make a suitable candidate as a Singapore Girl as I'm able to potray Asian's hospitality and grace."


After everyone made their self introduction, we were all ushered outside to await for the results. Out of 10 from Grp 9, only 5 made it through. Right after the announcement of the results, you will be made to stay in one area to verify your education documents and identity.

Kebaya + skin check round
After document verification, we were ushered into the kebaya + skin check room. There was a rack that contains about 20 sets of kebaya of various sizes ranging from XXS to XXL. One tip for girls is to try the kebaya blouse on first before heading off to change as you must be quick. Girls with long hair are expected to bun up their hair so do bring rubber bands when you try out for the interview. I'm relatively larger sized compared to other girls thus the blouse I wore was XXL. Do remember that there are interviewers that are on a look out for girls whom behave badly during change.

Once you are in the kebaya, you are expected to walk towards the interviewer whom is roughly 5-8 meters away. Do walk naturally and try not too stiff up as it might hinder your grading. Once you reach her, she would prompt some questions and you will be asked to walked back and return again for another walking grading. Do not drag your feets across the room and do not walk till the slit of the kebaya skirt goes wide open.

I was informed that my BMI (body mass index) is relatively quite high for the ratio of my height and weight. I tactfully answered as below

"I'm currently going through a regime whereby I take healthy food and exercise. I've lost quite alot of kilos compared to my last attempt and I'm working hard to reach my targetted weight. I'm very determine to lose the excess weight and maintain thereafter"

After answering, I was ushered to another interviewer whom is designated to perform the skin check. Due to Sheraton Tower's ballroom lightings are yellow lights, the interviewer have installed two rather huge spot lights to check on your flaws. If you do not have severe acne scars, pigmentation or scars, you should be able pass this round without much problem.

Once you are done with the skin screening, you would be asked to changed out of the kebaya to await for results. Once again, please do hang back the uniform in a orderly manner and do not just dump the kebaya all over the place. This round itself has managed to reduced our group of 10 to 5.

My advice for this round would be to take inciative to correct the problems you might have before attempting the round as they can be rather choosy. Proper facial regime and exercise should get you quite far.

1-1 interview
This round can be a killer round for those whom may not be fluent in English. My interview started with a passage reading and it went down quite alright. Do take the time to scan through the passage before reading it as the passage may contain words that are hard to pronounce.

My interviewer threw different questions at me and these are some of them

1. You state in your application form that you are able to converse in French. How fluent are you?
Answer them truthfully and dont lie about it as he/she may test you
2. Your email address is very unique. How did it came about?
Told him a really crappy story of it
3. Where do you intend to stay if you get selected to be a SIA air stewardess?
Explained to him my plans
4. What are the qualities that a SIA air stewardess should have?
To be a sucessful air stewardess, one must have the perfect balance of efficency, friendliness and warmth. Elaborate on it

The key to this round is not to fumble your words and stay calm. Dont be nervous as nervousness may cause you to stutter your words. Stay composed at all times.

Management interview

During this round, you will be interviewed by SIA managers themselves thus do rmb to dress up smartly as first impression will last a long time. The interviewers were very nice and the questioned they asked were

1. Tell me briefly about yourself
You can use the exact same self intro
2. What are your current jobscope in the company?
I linked my jobscope to customer service
3. Tell us about how you deal with any difficult customer that you may have come by
Told them about my past experience
4. Why we should choose you to be SIA air stewardess?
Use words such as extrovert, friendly, service orientated and etc
5. Which part of your face would you like to change and why
I told them my face is something I happy with but if I really had to choose a part, i will choose the eyebrow cos they are alittle scrawny
6. Tell me about your family
Told them about family and what are they doing
7. How determine are you in getting this job
I told them I'm determined to secure a position as a cabin crew as I've given 110% this time round. I mentioned to them what I've done for the interview

The key here is to be true and answer tactfully. Try to insert positive remarks through out your speech.

That is what I can summaried about my interview and how it went.
Out of the 10 candidates that took the chance, only one in mine made it.
This is my 4th attempt and I managed to overcome the odds.
The key to being sucessful (for me) would be to have confidence but never too much.

I'm rather tired now but I will make a full entry about it in my blog later. Will post up the link once it is ready. Hopefully the information I've given can help many whom are trying. Rmb the key to sucess is to continue trying till you get it!


Gong Xi, Gong Xi to Pinklittlefigure,
finally you are in :kiss:
Your write out is very good and will benefit many in this forum, hope that you will enjoy flying :P

pinklittlefigure
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon, 17 Dec 2007

Postby pinklittlefigure » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:09 pm

Abercrombie wrote:
pinklittlefigure wrote:Hello guys and girls, I came back from the 270108 walk in interview with good news! As for those who did not manage to get through this time round, fear not as there will be a upcoming write-in in about 2-3 weeks time if I'm not wrong. I'm glad all the major hurdles have been cleared and now I'm currently left with medical.

Let me share how my day when by.

KEY NOTE: SMILE AT ALL TIMES WITH SINCERITY

It would be a wise choice to be at a walk in interview at least an hour earlier than the stipulated time. I reach Sheraton Tower at 8:30am and I was very lucky to have Li'e (iwannafly) to be in the queue beforehand.
I was grouped along with Serene (eneres) and Siti Sarah in Grp9 while Li'e (iwannafly) was in another group. Valeria (mouse) was there early thus she managed to be placed into Grp1. After getting your application form verified, you will be ask to be seated till your turn for the self intro round.

Self intro round
This round has 10 interviewees to 2 interviewers and this round can be prepared. I suggest fellow candidates to try creating your own self intro and practice it till it is etched into your mind. Once something is deeply embedded into your mind, saying it would make it somehow more convincing and you will not fluster that much.

I think the most important tip to catch the attention of the interviewers would be to come up with something interesting about yourself. You can go along with the normal introduction such as name, age, workplace and hobbies but do inject a portion of something memorable that happened to yourself. After the standard self intro, we were ask the question below and the answer I gave was as below

"Why do you want to be a SIA air stewardess?"
"I want to be a SIA air stewardess because the career path is challenging and rewarding. This career give me the chance to travel to different destinations and experience other cultures while fulfilling my passion of providing quality customer care and service. I believe that I make a suitable candidate as a Singapore Girl as I'm able to potray Asian's hospitality and grace."


After everyone made their self introduction, we were all ushered outside to await for the results. Out of 10 from Grp 9, only 5 made it through. Right after the announcement of the results, you will be made to stay in one area to verify your education documents and identity.

Kebaya + skin check round
After document verification, we were ushered into the kebaya + skin check room. There was a rack that contains about 20 sets of kebaya of various sizes ranging from XXS to XXL. One tip for girls is to try the kebaya blouse on first before heading off to change as you must be quick. Girls with long hair are expected to bun up their hair so do bring rubber bands when you try out for the interview. I'm relatively larger sized compared to other girls thus the blouse I wore was XXL. Do remember that there are interviewers that are on a look out for girls whom behave badly during change.

Once you are in the kebaya, you are expected to walk towards the interviewer whom is roughly 5-8 meters away. Do walk naturally and try not too stiff up as it might hinder your grading. Once you reach her, she would prompt some questions and you will be asked to walked back and return again for another walking grading. Do not drag your feets across the room and do not walk till the slit of the kebaya skirt goes wide open.

I was informed that my BMI (body mass index) is relatively quite high for the ratio of my height and weight. I tactfully answered as below

"I'm currently going through a regime whereby I take healthy food and exercise. I've lost quite alot of kilos compared to my last attempt and I'm working hard to reach my targetted weight. I'm very determine to lose the excess weight and maintain thereafter"

After answering, I was ushered to another interviewer whom is designated to perform the skin check. Due to Sheraton Tower's ballroom lightings are yellow lights, the interviewer have installed two rather huge spot lights to check on your flaws. If you do not have severe acne scars, pigmentation or scars, you should be able pass this round without much problem.

Once you are done with the skin screening, you would be asked to changed out of the kebaya to await for results. Once again, please do hang back the uniform in a orderly manner and do not just dump the kebaya all over the place. This round itself has managed to reduced our group of 10 to 5.

My advice for this round would be to take inciative to correct the problems you might have before attempting the round as they can be rather choosy. Proper facial regime and exercise should get you quite far.

1-1 interview
This round can be a killer round for those whom may not be fluent in English. My interview started with a passage reading and it went down quite alright. Do take the time to scan through the passage before reading it as the passage may contain words that are hard to pronounce.

My interviewer threw different questions at me and these are some of them

1. You state in your application form that you are able to converse in French. How fluent are you?
Answer them truthfully and dont lie about it as he/she may test you
2. Your email address is very unique. How did it came about?
Told him a really crappy story of it
3. Where do you intend to stay if you get selected to be a SIA air stewardess?
Explained to him my plans
4. What are the qualities that a SIA air stewardess should have?
To be a sucessful air stewardess, one must have the perfect balance of efficency, friendliness and warmth. Elaborate on it

The key to this round is not to fumble your words and stay calm. Dont be nervous as nervousness may cause you to stutter your words. Stay composed at all times.

Management interview

During this round, you will be interviewed by SIA managers themselves thus do rmb to dress up smartly as first impression will last a long time. The interviewers were very nice and the questioned they asked were

1. Tell me briefly about yourself
You can use the exact same self intro
2. What are your current jobscope in the company?
I linked my jobscope to customer service
3. Tell us about how you deal with any difficult customer that you may have come by
Told them about my past experience
4. Why we should choose you to be SIA air stewardess?
Use words such as extrovert, friendly, service orientated and etc
5. Which part of your face would you like to change and why
I told them my face is something I happy with but if I really had to choose a part, i will choose the eyebrow cos they are alittle scrawny
6. Tell me about your family
Told them about family and what are they doing
7. How determine are you in getting this job
I told them I'm determined to secure a position as a cabin crew as I've given 110% this time round. I mentioned to them what I've done for the interview

The key here is to be true and answer tactfully. Try to insert positive remarks through out your speech.

That is what I can summaried about my interview and how it went.
Out of the 10 candidates that took the chance, only one in mine made it.
This is my 4th attempt and I managed to overcome the odds.
The key to being sucessful (for me) would be to have confidence but never too much.

I'm rather tired now but I will make a full entry about it in my blog later. Will post up the link once it is ready. Hopefully the information I've given can help many whom are trying. Rmb the key to sucess is to continue trying till you get it!


Gong Xi, Gong Xi to Pinklittlefigure,
finally you are in :kiss:
Your write out is very good and will benefit many in this forum, hope that you will enjoy flying :P


Abercombie: I do hope my experiences can aid those whom are trying out :D Anything queries, they could pm me and I'll try my best to provide them as much help I can give

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu, 20 Dec 2007

Postby hafiz_ » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:09 pm

whoa. i went home and wham-bam there were 9-10 new pages or so i had to read! haha. firstly, congrats joyce! iwannefly, i know how it feels. the more they dont want you, the more you want this position so badly right? i guess just faithfully wait till the ban's over lor. like what xanngac has said, alot of preparation goes a long way!

i foresee a day where we will all reschedule our flights to one common flight. havoc man! hahaha. :wink:

User avatar
crystalheart
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri, 04 Jan 2008
Location: singapore
Contact:

Postby crystalheart » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:09 pm

It is advisable NOT to break the "Ban" cos a fren of mine broke it and went for today's interview. They let her in for the 1st rd and booted her out straightaway. It was not that she wasn't good cos she went to the mgnt around twice b4. Her self intro was excellent but it didn't count. So never break the "ban".

iwannefly
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed, 05 Dec 2007

Postby iwannefly » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:20 pm

hafiz_ wrote:whoa. i went home and wham-bam there were 9-10 new pages or so i had to read! haha. firstly, congrats joyce! iwannefly, i know how it feels. the more they dont want you, the more you want this position so badly right? i guess just faithfully wait till the ban's over lor. like what xanngac has said, alot of preparation goes a long way!

i foresee a day where we will all reschedule our flights to one common flight. havoc man! hahaha. :wink:


that's correct hafiz.. and moreover it's at management round.. really very near ... =D

at least urs is 2 months ban and it's gonna be over soon.. mine is 3 months and it's juz started... =/

no choice but to wait patiently i guess.. ^^

Lolz.. that would be fun man.. esp for long flight where we(all from forum) can go sightseeing together and enjoy alot other outdoor activity ... lolz.. i can't waot to fly with all of u from the forum.. :D
Will not give up my dream to fly!! =D
I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward

iwannefly
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed, 05 Dec 2007

Postby iwannefly » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:22 pm

crystalheart wrote:It is advisable NOT to break the "Ban" cos a fren of mine broke it and went for today's interview. They let her in for the 1st rd and booted her out straightaway. It was not that she wasn't good cos she went to the mgnt around twice b4. Her self intro was excellent but it didn't count. So never break the "ban".


Ya.. i got it.. wun be breaking the ban .. don worry ^^ hee

Thanks for ur advise .. i appreciate that.. i tink by not breaking the ban is a wise decision .. lolz..
Will not give up my dream to fly!! =D
I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward

User avatar
crystalheart
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri, 04 Jan 2008
Location: singapore
Contact:

Postby crystalheart » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:29 pm

iwannefly wrote:
crystalheart wrote:It is advisable NOT to break the "Ban" cos a fren of mine broke it and went for today's interview. They let her in for the 1st rd and booted her out straightaway. It was not that she wasn't good cos she went to the mgnt around twice b4. Her self intro was excellent but it didn't count. So never break the "ban".


Ya.. i got it.. wun be breaking the ban .. don worry ^^ hee

Thanks for ur advise .. i appreciate that.. i tink by not breaking the ban is a wise decision .. lolz..


That's good "iwannaefly" but at least u made it to the mgnt round rite? Wat abt Siti,Joyce Wong (HR gal the one with u at serangoon garden yesterday at richard's hse),Valeria and Serene? I bet by now u know who i am...hehehe

User avatar
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby Abercrombie » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:34 pm

crystalheart wrote:
iwannefly wrote:
crystalheart wrote:It is advisable NOT to break the "Ban" cos a fren of mine broke it and went for today's interview. They let her in for the 1st rd and booted her out straightaway. It was not that she wasn't good cos she went to the mgnt around twice b4. Her self intro was excellent but it didn't count. So never break the "ban".


Ya.. i got it.. wun be breaking the ban .. don worry ^^ hee

Thanks for ur advise .. i appreciate that.. i tink by not breaking the ban is a wise decision .. lolz..


That's good "iwannaefly" but at least u made it to the mgnt round rite? Wat abt Siti,Joyce Wong (HR gal the one with u at serangoon garden yesterday at richard's hse),Valeria and Serene? I bet by now u know who i am...hehehe


I know who you are :wink: so is BT here too :P

pinklittlefigure
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon, 17 Dec 2007

Postby pinklittlefigure » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:35 pm

crystalheart wrote:
iwannefly wrote:
crystalheart wrote:It is advisable NOT to break the "Ban" cos a fren of mine broke it and went for today's interview. They let her in for the 1st rd and booted her out straightaway. It was not that she wasn't good cos she went to the mgnt around twice b4. Her self intro was excellent but it didn't count. So never break the "ban".


Ya.. i got it.. wun be breaking the ban .. don worry ^^ hee

Thanks for ur advise .. i appreciate that.. i tink by not breaking the ban is a wise decision .. lolz..


That's good "iwannaefly" but at least u made it to the mgnt round rite? Wat abt Siti,Joyce Wong (HR gal the one with u at serangoon garden yesterday at richard's hse),Valeria and Serene? I bet by now u know who i am...hehehe


Self intro - none
Kebaya - Siti
1-1 - Serene & Valeria
Management - Li'e

I did not spot the other Joyce so I cant exactly say which round she managed to clear :-|

iwannefly
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed, 05 Dec 2007

Postby iwannefly » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:35 pm

crystalheart wrote:
iwannefly wrote:
crystalheart wrote:It is advisable NOT to break the "Ban" cos a fren of mine broke it and went for today's interview. They let her in for the 1st rd and booted her out straightaway. It was not that she wasn't good cos she went to the mgnt around twice b4. Her self intro was excellent but it didn't count. So never break the "ban".


Ya.. i got it.. wun be breaking the ban .. don worry ^^ hee

Thanks for ur advise .. i appreciate that.. i tink by not breaking the ban is a wise decision .. lolz..


That's good "iwannaefly" but at least u made it to the mgnt round rite? Wat abt Siti,Joyce Wong (HR gal the one with u at serangoon garden yesterday at richard's hse),Valeria and Serene? I bet by now u know who i am...hehehe


Wah.. u know all of us.. hee.. you are? PM me alright?? =D there's a few of them in the house .. so i have no idea who u are ... sorry ^^

Siti i'm not too sure.. but she passed round 1... Serene and Valeria got booted out at 1-1 interview.. as for joyce wong... we didn;t manage to get in touch with her.. so i'm not sure which round she went to ^^

Ya.. i'm glad i'm able to make it to management round.. juz that the ban is quite depressing becuz it means that i got to give some golden opportunity a miss.. =/
Last edited by iwannefly on Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will not give up my dream to fly!! =D
I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward

User avatar
yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 443
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby yingying2888 » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:35 pm

Abercrombie wrote:
yingying2888 wrote:frustrated? haha.. i tot just for fun..

anyway.. yea.. for those who failed no worries, i guess we'll meet someday in STC!
hopefully i'll be able to see joyce who passed the managment round today in training! i'll have malaysian company!

raine.. cant wait for my training to start man.. wonder how is ashton, the guy who passed the management round with us on 8th jan.. =)


Hey whats wrong with the Singaporean company?? Are you going to form clicks starting from training and continue doing that when you fly ?? [-X Maybe you will be in the Indian Fss batches :-|


oh.. mr shy guy..

of cos there's nth wrong at all with singaporean company.. it just feels better cos i'm a foreginer and meeting someone from my home country.. and i get to know more about the procedure of the work pass application which bugs me alot now..

if you read clearly about my post (especially those words in bold), it is apparent that i'm not forming cliques.. and wat do u mean by "maybe you will be in the indian fss batches? racist uh? haha.. :twisted:
the world at your doorstep

User avatar
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby Abercrombie » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:42 pm

iwannefly wrote:
rainschocolate wrote:i saw sooooo many people from the forum today!!

(i accompanied some of my frens there)

and they ALL PASSED THE FIRST ROUND

haha!! great!


iwannefly how did the rest of ur grp people who passed (from forum) did?


Nice seeing you today =D

hee .. Only Joyce made it.. she passed her management.. ^^
If this is the same Joyce then she pass:wink:

User avatar
crystalheart
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri, 04 Jan 2008
Location: singapore
Contact:

Postby crystalheart » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:43 pm

Abercrombie, u ar boh tong? :o

User avatar
yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 443
Joined: Thu, 06 Dec 2007

Postby yingying2888 » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:44 pm

pinklittlefigure wrote:
crystalheart wrote:
iwannefly wrote:
crystalheart wrote:It is advisable NOT to break the "Ban" cos a fren of mine broke it and went for today's interview. They let her in for the 1st rd and booted her out straightaway. It was not that she wasn't good cos she went to the mgnt around twice b4. Her self intro was excellent but it didn't count. So never break the "ban".


Ya.. i got it.. wun be breaking the ban .. don worry ^^ hee

Thanks for ur advise .. i appreciate that.. i tink by not breaking the ban is a wise decision .. lolz..


That's good "iwannaefly" but at least u made it to the mgnt round rite? Wat abt Siti,Joyce Wong (HR gal the one with u at serangoon garden yesterday at richard's hse),Valeria and Serene? I bet by now u know who i am...hehehe


Self intro - none
Kebaya - Siti
1-1 - Serene & Valeria
Management - Li'e

I did not spot the other Joyce so I cant exactly say which round she managed to clear :-|


CONGRATS joyce!

your fillers and extensions and diet was definitely worth it huh!

you might not know who i am, but i've heard alot about you..

congrats again! =)
the world at your doorstep

pinklittlefigure
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon, 17 Dec 2007

Postby pinklittlefigure » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 8:45 pm

yingying2888 wrote:
pinklittlefigure wrote:
crystalheart wrote:
iwannefly wrote:
crystalheart wrote:It is advisable NOT to break the "Ban" cos a fren of mine broke it and went for today's interview. They let her in for the 1st rd and booted her out straightaway. It was not that she wasn't good cos she went to the mgnt around twice b4. Her self intro was excellent but it didn't count. So never break the "ban".


Ya.. i got it.. wun be breaking the ban .. don worry ^^ hee

Thanks for ur advise .. i appreciate that.. i tink by not breaking the ban is a wise decision .. lolz..


That's good "iwannaefly" but at least u made it to the mgnt round rite? Wat abt Siti,Joyce Wong (HR gal the one with u at serangoon garden yesterday at richard's hse),Valeria and Serene? I bet by now u know who i am...hehehe


Self intro - none
Kebaya - Siti
1-1 - Serene & Valeria
Management - Li'e

I did not spot the other Joyce so I cant exactly say which round she managed to clear :-|


CONGRATS joyce!

your fillers and extensions and diet was definitely worth it huh!

you might not know who i am, but i've heard alot about you..

congrats again! =)


Thank you Yingying! Cant wait to meet you too :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests