Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
CelT
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2007

Postby CelT » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 5:57 pm

Hi Stu & Ferrin,

The lady in the senior management team did advise us not to tender until we receive our contract...

I know of some girls who also had review....& they were told by the senior management specifically that before the review result is out, there is no confirmation of them being employed...she meant even if u do what was recommended, it doesnt mean u will be employed....everything has to boil down to the outcome of your review...

Ferrin, just think if they didnt promise u anything....but gave u a chance for review, im sure u will still invest the $ & time, in the hope of passing the review....
There must be some form of misunderstanding....because i dont think SIA would be so irresponsible to make such promise & yet fail to comply to it.

So sorry for u...but take care....
.CEL.

kaozzzzzz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon, 08 Oct 2007

Postby kaozzzzzz » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 7:45 pm

CelT wrote:
The lady in the senior management team did advise us not to tender until we receive our contract...



Hi CelT,

have you signed your contract? I was told by the woman that she would email to go sign the bond...however, that was 2 days ago, still haven received her email....

by the way, which interview did u go to? I went for the write in...was told my training starts 26th this mth...

summerboy02
Regular
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed, 17 Oct 2007

Re: HiHi

Postby summerboy02 » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 9:25 pm

kaozzzzzz wrote:
summerboy02 wrote:
Dear Kaozzzz

For your last interview there are only 3 rounds of interview on the same day?No more WTC for guys?
What do you think the rounds for the upcoming interview for steward will be?Is it still:

Round 1:grp interview
Round2:1 to 1 interview
Round3:WTC
Round4:management Interview
Please advise...Many thanks



Hi Summer02,

I was quite taken aback when I went for the write-in interview...the following are the rounds that the candidate went thru,

Round 1: Self presentation in Group
Rd 2: For ladies, to test kebaya and check complexion, For the guys, just checking of hands and walk in a straight line
Rd 3: 1-1 interview
Rd 4:: management round
Rd 5: medical

:P Not sure if the walk-in would be the same...I guess, more or less they will stick to this ba...Good luck!


Dear Kaozzz n Venie

Thanks for replying...Btw,hows the casualties rate like for Round 2 for the stewards?Do they scrutinise your complexion?

User avatar
salvana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue, 10 Apr 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby salvana » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 9:58 pm

noophz wrote:
salvana wrote:
noophz wrote:How do we differentiate confidence and arrogance? Because everytime when I go for SIA interview, I always want to be different (lolz). Other candidates usually talk about their current job and why they want to join SIA. Me, on the other hand, talk about my academic qualifications and my country of origin (Indonesia). Should I just go with the flow and introduce myself like how other candidates did? I always got rejected -.-"

And one thing...I always speak too fast...but that's the way I talk...guess it shows that I am panicking


Hey noophz,

Juz wondering whether do you posses a degree? Coz as far as I know,SIA requires Indonesian to posses at least a degree on hand ( 1 of the minimum requirements)

Ciao.


Hi Salvana,

I have a degree on hand (overseas degree). I think I meet all their requirements, but dunno...I just don't have the right attitude....yet? lolz

You're Indonesian too?

Somehow after reading so many posts about the interviews and all, I feel rather demotivated as it sounds extremely tough and difficult to get in!!


Yoo noophz,

Yes,I am. Hello fellow country man :)
Overseas degree meaning? (Pardon me as I dun get you)
Hm... how do u judge whether some1 has the right attitude or not from the first sight?
(unless it's very obvious that some1 throw temper or show bittergourd face ova small matter... that I can tell... :D )

Well... izzit pretty much and true dat lady luck + magical dust? :o
Wahahah.... I truly have no idea.... :-|
Dreams Do Come True

garlic
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon, 23 Jul 2007

Postby garlic » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:25 pm

Ferrin wrote:
Stu wrote:Ferrin - Sorry to hear that. This is very unfortunate.

Just to understand the process/logistics a bit better, do you not get a contract or letter of some sort once they told you that you have cleared the management interview? How does one get invited for the training then? It can't be by phone call or email, can it? Surely there must be a letter of appointment or something stating the salary being paid during the training period?

The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't resign from one job until you see something "black & white" from the next employer. And if there is a contract/letter of appointment from the next employer and they back track, then you can sue for cause.......

Whatever the case, I don't think you should regard money spent on courses (for self improvement) as a waste of time/money. Yes, it causes a dent in the Bank Account but if it is of no use this time round, I am sure it will be of benefit the next. If not for this job, then it will be for others.

Keep the spirits up.....



Thanks Stu...
After i got my management interview result, i was given a letter for medical check up...juz like all of the stewardess-soon-to-be....
I only got the promise of the job verbally...


hi ferrin, so sorry to hear that.
but did they say that u still have to wait another 6mths before u can try again?
i'm still sort of KIV-ed too, waiting to grad in Feb. anxious and worried too, since it's such a long wait.. :?

kaozzzzzz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon, 08 Oct 2007

Re: HiHi

Postby kaozzzzzz » Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:28 pm

summerboy02 wrote:
kaozzzzzz wrote:
summerboy02 wrote:
Dear Kaozzzz

For your last interview there are only 3 rounds of interview on the same day?No more WTC for guys?
What do you think the rounds for the upcoming interview for steward will be?Is it still:

Round 1:grp interview
Round2:1 to 1 interview
Round3:WTC
Round4:management Interview
Please advise...Many thanks



Hi Summer02,

I was quite taken aback when I went for the write-in interview...the following are the rounds that the candidate went thru,

Round 1: Self presentation in Group
Rd 2: For ladies, to test kebaya and check complexion, For the guys, just checking of hands and walk in a straight line
Rd 3: 1-1 interview
Rd 4:: management round
Rd 5: medical

:P Not sure if the walk-in would be the same...I guess, more or less they will stick to this ba...Good luck!


Dear Kaozzz n Venie

Thanks for replying...Btw,hows the casualties rate like for Round 2 for the stewards?Do they scrutinise your complexion?



Hi Summer,

Erm... I was in long sleeves shirt....they can't see anything...besides my hands and fingers....
as for casualties, rd 1, a total of 7 went in for the interview, only 2 got in, round 2, both of us passed....
It's hard to predict how many casualties there are...really...coz there could be 1,2 or more, or even none....it really depends if there are any people who fit their criterias.... :P

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 8:53 am

Ferrin wrote:
Stu wrote:Ferrin - Sorry to hear that. This is very unfortunate.

Just to understand the process/logistics a bit better, do you not get a contract or letter of some sort once they told you that you have cleared the management interview? How does one get invited for the training then? It can't be by phone call or email, can it? Surely there must be a letter of appointment or something stating the salary being paid during the training period?

The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't resign from one job until you see something "black & white" from the next employer. And if there is a contract/letter of appointment from the next employer and they back track, then you can sue for cause.......

Whatever the case, I don't think you should regard money spent on courses (for self improvement) as a waste of time/money. Yes, it causes a dent in the Bank Account but if it is of no use this time round, I am sure it will be of benefit the next. If not for this job, then it will be for others.

Keep the spirits up.....



Thanks Stu...
After i got my management interview result, i was given a letter for medical check up...juz like all of the stewardess-soon-to-be....
I only got the promise of the job verbally...


Ferrin

If it is only verbal, then the case if any is very weak, although technically speaking there are cases which concluded that a verbal offer and acceptance is binding under contract law. Nothing beats a written contract since it will be your word against theirs otherwise. Concepts like, "was the person speaking to you senior enough to bind the organisation, etc..." will get thrown in and it will probably be in their favour.

Furthermore, if they can demonstrate that it is their standard operating procedure to inform candidates not to resign before they see the contract (as mentioned in Celt's post) then your cause is even weaker.....

Just take this as one of life's many learning experiences and move on.

Take care,

CelT
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2007

Postby CelT » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 9:52 am

kaozzzzzz wrote:
CelT wrote:
The lady in the senior management team did advise us not to tender until we receive our contract...



Hi CelT,

have you signed your contract? I was told by the woman that she would email to go sign the bond...however, that was 2 days ago, still haven received her email....

by the way, which interview did u go to? I went for the write in...was told my training starts 26th this mth...


Hello Kaozz,

I was sent a letter of confirmation & offer by post...i signed & had sent it back to SIA...i think after which they will email us (like u said)...& we got to be down at STC to sign bond....cos my training will be starting in a mth time, so i had the contract posted to me first...unless my friend, she started on the 17 oct, so, she went down to STC to sign the bond directly....

I guess they will call u soon...cos my friend only signed her bond on 16 oct...a day before she start her training...

Not to worry ya :D
.CEL.

kaozzzzzz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon, 08 Oct 2007

Postby kaozzzzzz » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 7:10 pm

CelT wrote:
kaozzzzzz wrote:
CelT wrote:
The lady in the senior management team did advise us not to tender until we receive our contract...



Hi CelT,

have you signed your contract? I was told by the woman that she would email to go sign the bond...however, that was 2 days ago, still haven received her email....

by the way, which interview did u go to? I went for the write in...was told my training starts 26th this mth...


Thank you Celt

I
I was sent a letter of confirmation & offer by post...i signed & had sent it back to SIA...i think after which they will email us (like u said)...& we got to be down at STC to sign bond....cos my training will be starting in a mth time, so i had the contract posted to me first...unless my friend, she started on the 17 oct, so, she went down to STC to sign the bond directly....

I guess they will call u soon...cos my friend only signed her bond on 16 oct...a day before she start her training...

Not to worry ya :D

JadeiteJade
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri, 18 May 2007

Postby JadeiteJade » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 8:58 pm

hey CelT!

how r you?!!!wow...can see that you r very active in this thread!getting all geared up n excited?!hehehe :D

CelT
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2007

Postby CelT » Fri, 19 Oct 2007 9:47 am

Yup yup my Jade Dearie! :D

hows yr training? must update all of us here ya!
.CEL.

User avatar
superpinkystar
Regular
Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon, 05 Dec 2005

SQ walk in - 20th October

Postby superpinkystar » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 3:47 pm

i have stopped trying for sq for about 2 years.
partly the reason was that i was on full medication because of my acne outbreak.

but this year, i decided to try my luck again at the walk in.
i have since fully recovered but still going under medication, i am just left with a bit of scarring which could be easily concealed.
if not, chemical peeling.

i am totally disappointed at the walk in today.

there were so many beautiful girls, cabin crew material.
height, qualifications etc.

i got into 2nd round (kebaya/skin check)
i was the only one in my group who made it to round 2. (it was a blessing in disguise)

i could not believe my eyes how they actually scrutinise girls during the skin check round.

one of the girls i made friends with was not allowed to go for the skin check because when she was walking up and down the room to check for posture. the lady actually told her she has high shoulders, i was like wtf???
like this, she was out.

another one, had a mosquito mark on her leg and the lady thought it was mark!! again, she was out.

i was out too because of my acne marks.

gosh..
you know how hard we girls try to be cabin crew.
yet, people run us down like that.
so, do you expect us to be model like material?

don't mind me, i am just rambling out my thoughts.
*smile always

michieeee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri, 06 Jul 2007

Postby michieeee » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 4:17 pm

hi there!

I went for the walk in interview today as well and was actually VERY surprised that I managed to get through the kebaya round. I think it's very subjective when you say girls with bad complexion can't make it through because I have a couple of moles and some freckles on my face and yet I got through the round.

I guess it's alot on how you portrayed yourself during the 'walk' as I believe it's very important on how comfortable you are in the kebaya as well as your overall presentation and how you carry yourself. I've got girls in perfect flawless complexion as well and they didn't make it through. Although to a certain extent though, I thought that the shoulder, one being higher than the other when you walk, was quite weird, I guess the interviewers had their own set of rules. I guess the secret would be to keep that smile going for you cos that's what I did.

So girls, I guess it all lies in your confidence when you strut and that award winning smile!

User avatar
superpinkystar
Regular
Regular
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon, 05 Dec 2005

Postby superpinkystar » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 4:33 pm

michieeee wrote:hi there!

I went for the walk in interview today as well and was actually VERY surprised that I managed to get through the kebaya round. I think it's very subjective when you say girls with bad complexion can't make it through because I have a couple of moles and some freckles on my face and yet I got through the round.

I guess it's alot on how you portrayed yourself during the 'walk' as I believe it's very important on how comfortable you are in the kebaya as well as your overall presentation and how you carry yourself. I've got girls in perfect flawless complexion as well and they didn't make it through. Although to a certain extent though, I thought that the shoulder, one being higher than the other when you walk, was quite weird, I guess the interviewers had their own set of rules. I guess the secret would be to keep that smile going for you cos that's what I did.

So girls, I guess it all lies in your confidence when you strut and that award winning smile!


well babe,
i didn't say they aced all the girls out with bad complexion.
my group which was axed, they had very nice complexion too. but didn't know what happened
*smile always

vinrouge
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 06 Sep 2007

Re: SQ walk in - 20th October

Postby vinrouge » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 3:21 am

superpinkystar wrote:i have stopped trying for sq for about 2 years.
partly the reason was that i was on full medication because of my acne outbreak.

but this year, i decided to try my luck again at the walk in.
i have since fully recovered but still going under medication, i am just left with a bit of scarring which could be easily concealed.
if not, chemical peeling.

i am totally disappointed at the walk in today.

there were so many beautiful girls, cabin crew material.
height, qualifications etc.

i got into 2nd round (kebaya/skin check)
i was the only one in my group who made it to round 2. (it was a blessing in disguise)

i could not believe my eyes how they actually scrutinise girls during the skin check round.

one of the girls i made friends with was not allowed to go for the skin check because when she was walking up and down the room to check for posture. the lady actually told her she has high shoulders, i was like wtf???
like this, she was out.

another one, had a mosquito mark on her leg and the lady thought it was mark!! again, she was out.

i was out too because of my acne marks.

gosh..
you know how hard we girls try to be cabin crew.
yet, people run us down like that.
so, do you expect us to be model like material?

don't mind me, i am just rambling out my thoughts.


hey there. for the skin check, they will scrutinise your legs too?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests