Singapore Expats Forum

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
aphrokittee

Postby aphrokittee » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 9:06 pm

my slot is at 1:30pm. all the best! ;)

sinhong1126

Postby sinhong1126 » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 9:29 pm

so is tht an individual interview or group interview?

aphrokittee

Postby aphrokittee » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 9:43 pm

sinhong1126 wrote:so is tht an individual interview or group interview?

i think group interview..

joeylee

Postby joeylee » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:06 pm

Thanks Venie & CeIT very feel good after hearing u gals advice.. very sweet of u all.. i now feeling much better.. i wont give up and will continue to strive hard..

congrate CeIT manz.. so envy u got through the whole process.. u so great manz will be flying high soon.. haiz i still in e dreaming mood.. oh ya, wat r the rounds u being through on 22 sept.. how did u do ur self introduction? dun mind telling me.. i think i got to improve myself manz.. thanks..

kristen
Regular
Regular

Postby kristen » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:13 pm

joeylee wrote:halo lovelorn & ceIT.. thanks for e replies.. haix i oso not so sure abt it, i didn't dare to send in e application again, afraid kanna blacklisted.. recently, i juz found a full time job after being rejected from SIA interview, have been working for 2 weeks liao but then i dislike office life.. haiz still couldn't get rid of my flight stewardess dream.. so i wanna noe whether they conduct interview during weekend not.. i noe there are gals trying several times and able to get in, but then i dun think i would be as lucky as them coz i doesn't belong to those slim and pretty type.. this problem kept bothering me.. haiz ..

lovelorn u should go and have a try since it will be ur first attempt.. i never jump lah, can tip-toe i was able to reach the point it but failed at self introduction..

ceIT r u a current SIA stewardess or have u been trying for the interviews before.. very frank i always failed at the first round- self introduction.. sianz

You do not necessarily have to be pretty or slim to be a cabin crew.Up till today, we have no clue whatsoever of the selection criteria. If you do not feel confident about yourself, do not go for the interview.Simple as that! I think its about time we stand firm and not give in to that whole "oh u have to be pretty and slim to be a cabin crew!". However,i would like to zero in about the whole weight issue. I'm very sure that they are looking for healthy looking girls but not necessarily slim ones.I've seen curvacious ones and boy do they look good! If you are still unconvinced; head to the gym, look for an instructor and get him to check your height and weight to see if you are in the normal range.If you are,bingo! ((: If you are not,try to make changes. Do not go into that whole crash diet nonsense.Do it slowly at your own pace.Trust me,it works ((:

lovelorn

Postby lovelorn » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 4:12 am

kristen, thank you for that. really. cos i gained some weight since i wrote in for the opening.. and well, the woman is like, how come so much? what happened? well, i ATE.. that's whats up. it was an OUCH moment, though. curvy girls look better in kebaya actually cos the structure of the garment flatter the curves really well, esp the hips and waist area. CHEY CHEY ex fashion student talking! hahah. anything looks good on a someone slim(think hangers), that's why models are skinny. anything looks good on hangers. theres a lot of perception or false expectations on what is "supposed to be the look of a Spore Girl". but i think in the end of the day, our jobs and sincerity in making ppl happy with our service will put our heart in the right place. not by the way we look. but that doesnt mean we have to look like a mess la! haha. sigh. i talk as if im already working as an SG girl.LOL!!! I hope i will someday.. maybe 20th Oct will be a good day for all of us trying out fo this thing.

thanks again kristen. your post makes me feel a whole lot better. :)

kristen
Regular
Regular

Postby kristen » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 9:36 am

lovelorn wrote:kristen, thank you for that. really. cos i gained some weight since i wrote in for the opening.. and well, the woman is like, how come so much? what happened? well, i ATE.. that's whats up. it was an OUCH moment, though. curvy girls look better in kebaya actually cos the structure of the garment flatter the curves really well, esp the hips and waist area. CHEY CHEY ex fashion student talking! hahah. anything looks good on a someone slim(think hangers), that's why models are skinny. anything looks good on hangers. theres a lot of perception or false expectations on what is "supposed to be the look of a Spore Girl". but i think in the end of the day, our jobs and sincerity in making ppl happy with our service will put our heart in the right place. not by the way we look. but that doesnt mean we have to look like a mess la! haha. sigh. i talk as if im already working as an SG girl.LOL!!! I hope i will someday.. maybe 20th Oct will be a good day for all of us trying out fo this thing.

thanks again kristen. your post makes me feel a whole lot better. :)

Hey babe,

I know in the earlier post i said that if you do not feel comfortable,do not go for the interview.The only reason i said that is because i feel it is soo vital to be and feel confident.The whole process is gruelling and if you do not fit the bill,you are out!At times,you wouldnt even know why you got booted out.Welcome to the REAL world.Girls, lets learn how to celebrate how we look.When we do that, no one can hurt us.Remember the Tyra Banks show?The "SO WHAT EPISODE". The whole objective is to be confident and love yourself the way you are.I am not saying that those who eat unhealthily should carry on with what they are doing. That was the choice they made..for the rest of us who eat healthy but we somewhat do not feel confident about how we look..lets start today! Jot down on a piece of paper what u like and not like about yourself. Be honest and have a postive attitude. Work on this exercise with a friend or someone you are comfortable with.

You have to work on your self esteem and then once you feel good about it , go for the interview.If you do not get in, dont tell yourself that since they rejected you , you are in the ugly range. Keep trying BUT move on with life. Time will never stop ticking. The whole weight issue is killing the living day lights out of me. Honestly,anyone and everyone can look good in the kebaya. Like mentioned in the previous post,if you are not confident about how u look ,head to the gym, do what u are supposed to do.There are some who have everything in place but the weight issue is the one that is holding them back.On the flipside,there are some who are confident with how they look but there are other areas that they are struggling with.In addition to this, there are some who are both confident about their looks and other areas.So ,we just have to take out some time..relax and take it slow..work on our flaws..try to improvise..seek help from friends and family if necessary..Those who do not have the whole confidence dilemma,take out some time too and recognize yours strengths and CELEBRATE IT and oh,lend a helping hand to those who need help. Trust me,it works.At times,it is alright to ask for help. ((: my best friend helped me out when i was at the lowest point in life.I felt like a total loser when i put on so much of weight. She went with me to the gym and checked on me whenever she can. With her help and strength,i realised that is now or never.

Lovelorn,u mentioned that u had gained some weight and you are obviously not comfortable with that.I do not know your weight and no worries,i wont ask you about it. But just ask yourself..are u feeling this way only after the woman highligted it to you?I'm sure throughout the whole process, you were conscious that you were gainin a little weight here and there.At that point,did u ever stop to think about it?or issit a REALITY check after the woman pointed out that u had gained weight?

pacficgal

seeking some advise!

Postby pacficgal » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 9:27 pm

i wld love to try for the walk-in interview, but i failed my mgt rd during july n was being inform of having a 6mths ban...

i reali wish to try for it again.. but was afraid tt they'll blacklist me...

it reali inspires me whenever i c any fs ard.. i love the job n it was truly depressing to fail at the mgt rd.. thus i nid u ppl's advise... thanks..

peaceserenity

Postby peaceserenity » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:59 pm

hi guys! im new in this forum but have read most of your posts. :)
have you heard if SIA hires filipina? im from asian country but, i haven't heard of filipinas being hired by SIA.

i need your comments please :D

ow_tv

Postby ow_tv » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:40 pm

Hey pacficgal,
i am a newbie in this forum, have tried once for the walk in recruitment but failed right at the first round. now giving myself time to prepare. hope to be able to get into sia by next year.
anyway, was reading the forum and just want to cheer you on. continue to strive towards your goal of becoming an sia girl. well, think of it this way, you have the credentials to make it all the way to the mgmt rd. press on! I believe you will make it eventually. why not make use of the time before the next interview to further improve yourself, like learn a new language or read up on the airline industry etc etc.. give the mgmt no doubts at all that you are the one they are looking for.

Moneyminded

Postby Moneyminded » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 7:36 pm

Hi guys,

Are we supposed to wear a tie when we are going through the interview?
I'm 23 this yr and is rather interested in being an air steward (mainly because of the pay out) Anyone going? It will be boring if i am going alone and talking to thin air? Hope that it goes well for everyone who are going on the 20th...

Ode

Postby Ode » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 9:58 pm

Hi
Last edited by Ode on Sat, 08 Aug 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Kong

Postby King Kong » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:14 pm

Ode wrote:Hi, I need the advice of an experience air-stewardess here.
My case is tiz: I'm 25. Degree grad, worked b4 ov.seas & in spore, held gd jobs. Wld SIA accept ppl my age? Wat is their criteria like? No family commitments?
Physical appearance, i'm 1.58m. (Wish i was 1.60) Weight abt 41kg. Fair, relatively gd skin. Look young, ok. On skinny side. Trying hard to put on weight. Body proportion look lenghty. Does SIA hv any BMI or bust-waist-hips ratio preference?
How to go prepared for the interview? How to dress & groom? Light make-up? How many rounds are there & how is the job of an air-steward like? I heard nt as glamorous as it sounds...

Then wadda ya watiing for????? .......... Get the *&**% form and fill it in wats it gonna cost ya? :shock: :shock:

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Postby jencrs » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 8:36 am

Ode wrote:Hi, I need the advice of an experience air-stewardess here.
My case is tiz: I'm 25. Degree grad, worked b4 ov.seas & in spore, held gd jobs. Wld SIA accept ppl my age? Wat is their criteria like? No family commitments?
Physical appearance, i'm 1.58m. (Wish i was 1.60) Weight abt 41kg. Fair, relatively gd skin. Look young, ok. On skinny side. Trying hard to put on weight. Body proportion look lenghty. Does SIA hv any BMI or bust-waist-hips ratio preference?
How to go prepared for the interview? How to dress & groom? Light make-up? How many rounds are there & how is the job of an air-steward like? I heard nt as glamorous as it sounds...
Asked and answered many many many MANY times. Please do a search before asking these questions. You'd find that you'll learn more that way.

CelT
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CelT » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 9:55 am

Dear Ode,

25 years old ? shouldnt be a prob...morever u look young :D
I just got in SIA & is going to start training this 6 Nov...im also 25...just that im alittle taller than you...163m & 45kg....

u should put on more weight...its a risk if you are too underweight....cos if they find u too thin, u may not get pass the Water confidence test...
dress formal & presentable to the interview...do your hair up in a neat & sleek way...makeup...not too overbroad....& of course makeup that helps u to look better & enhanced your strength ( u shld know whats best for yourself )...

u seems to have relatively good qualities....hopefully, u make it...
Most importantly, protray confidence but not arrogance....they like people who are teachable & humble...

No Singlish...speak proper english...stand with a good posture...no legs wide open when u r presenting during the first round.
Good set of teeth will definitely put u in a more advantageous position..

Basically the rounds are as followed:
1) Self intro-in grps of 10 (to stand up one by one, either randomly or in seq)-it may not be self intro...it may be any qns posed to yr grp to test yr reaction
2) Height+weight, kebaya fitting( comprises of walking-to see yr body posture ) and skin check - u can be elimininated at any of the 3...
3) 1-1 interview with HR personnel
4) water confidence test-check yr skin again, & body posture & proportion (usu on another day)
5) Management round ( personnels fr management levels accessing u )
6) Medical checkup - u need to pass it..before u r officially employed by SIA

Hope these help! :D
.CEL.