Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
galwithawand
Regular
Regular

Post by galwithawand » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 9:36 pm

tienchin wrote: but i do have a query regarding the education thingy
it said At least 5 GCE ‘O’-level credits (or its equivalent) including English and working experience

because now I'm taking "Workplace Literacy & Numeracy Assessments
(WPLN)" is when i obtain level 5, its an entry requirment which is equivalent to GCE O.

wonder can i use the certificate to go for the interview on 28th may?
or who should I approach or call to make enquiry?

please help..!!
Sorry I can't help. But what I would do if I were you is go there on the actual day and see if they accept

wondercat

Post by wondercat » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 10:05 pm

So all the stages will be conducted on the same day? How long did u wait for stage one interview?

Denny

Post by Denny » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 10:08 pm

wondercat wrote:So all the stages will be conducted on the same day? How long did u wait for stage one interview?
Rounds 1 to 3 will be conducted on Saturday and the final round the next day. Try to come before 10:30 if not they will ask u to come back after lunch which is about 12.50pm and then start interviewing your group at 2pm.

ahdick9

Post by ahdick9 » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 10:09 pm

galwithawand wrote:I went for the interview last Saturday and it was my first time and it turned out to be easier than I thought.

Round 1
This was my least stressful round. Just prepare a 1 minute long self-intro beforehand and MEMORIZE it well and practice in front of a mirror and you should go through easily In the self-intro include hobbies, and drop a little info about past employments and whatever you say, refer back to how it helps you to be a good air crew.

2/10 got through this round, incl. me. 4 guys all got kicked.

Round 2
After round 1 I was ushered back to the waiting room for height taking and checking educational certs. After which was the skin check round. I befriended some girls who had already gone through the round. I was talking to a girl when the results were released and she got booted out which was weird cause she doesnt have scars and her skin is perfect. Another girl got booted out because of a 2cm long cut mark on her wrist. They are VERY VERY particular about slit marks/scars at wrist. Once they discover = bye bye to you. Don't even try concealing. They will ask you go wash off and come back to let them check. Birthmarks are fine.

This round basically check neck, back of neck(for tattoos), face, arms, teeth and ears. I was asked to walk a bit(3metres) but that's all.

Round 3
I didn't get to enjoy games round because it was late so I went straight to Round 4.

Round 4
I have to say I got a really really nice guy. I don't know if everyone is like that but the interviewer I got was really friendly and warm. I was asked to read a passage and answer a question regarding to it. After that it just ended up as a chit chat session. Of course, he did ask me some important questions such as 'other than the outstanding service Singapore Airlines is famous for, what else do you think put SIA above the rest' etc. He also asked about my job and what's the most challenging incident etc.

Management Round
IT WAS FUN! Just be yourself. My group met and started chatting with one another for about 2 hours beforehand so by the time we went for this round, we knew one another like old friends. We breezed through the intro friend part. There were a few hard words in the passages but it was okay if you mispronounce some but get 95% right. The discussion round was okay too in my opinion. Just voice your opinions and it should be fine.

5/6 got past this round

Kebaya Round
SUPER FUN! We were all so excited by then so we were having fun in the changing room finding our sizes and helping one another tidy up, zip zips and giving encouragements etc. I'm glad I met a bunch of such amazing people through this interview.

They check arms, legs(below knee), neck, ears and posture.

Conclusion
Just be yourself. [/b]

Medical Check
Urine, Eyesight, colour blind, height and weight, X ray, blood pressure, breasts, spine, ears, eyes, feet.

Hey there,
Hi. I have a couple of questions over the skin check round. You mentioned if there are clit or cut marks at wrist, the chances are as good as none. How about cuts on the forearm?
One more thing, you mentioned that they check the ears? why the ears?

poshie90

Post by poshie90 » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 10:20 pm

Anybody ever seen girls with some pitted scars got through? Are the chances very very slim?
And what discussion topic given during management round?

tienchin

Post by tienchin » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:04 pm

galwithawand wrote:
tienchin wrote: but i do have a query regarding the education thingy
it said At least 5 GCE ‘O’-level credits (or its equivalent) including English and working experience

because now I'm taking "Workplace Literacy & Numeracy Assessments
(WPLN)" is when i obtain level 5, its an entry requirment which is equivalent to GCE O.

wonder can i use the certificate to go for the interview on 28th may?
or who should I approach or call to make enquiry?

please help..!!
Sorry I can't help. But what I would do if I were you is go there on the actual day and see if they accept
anyone have rough idea whether WPLN is accept as a entry requirment?

galwithawand
Regular
Regular

Post by galwithawand » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:23 pm

ahdick9 wrote:
Hey there,
Hi. I have a couple of questions over the skin check round. You mentioned if there are clit or cut marks at wrist, the chances are as good as none. How about cuts on the forearm?
I noticed SIA is particular about intentional cuts and are not so strict about natural imperfections. It really depends on the nature of your cut and how obvious it is. My friend used to cut her wrist up in the past and she got scars there but she got through the skin check round. She only got discovered in the kebaya round. Depends on luck too, I guess.

If I'm not wrong, skin check round they check your ears to see if they are flapping out. They prefer ears that pin backwards. During medical check the doctor will insert a microscope thingie deep inside your ear canal to see if you are deaf or something.

galwithawand
Regular
Regular

Post by galwithawand » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:35 pm

poshie90 wrote:Anybody ever seen girls with some pitted scars got through? Are the chances very very slim?
U can't prepare for the management round except to read up on current affairs. You can be asked about ANYTHING under the sun. Elections, financial crisis, natural disasters etc etc.

poshie90

Post by poshie90 » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:40 pm

galwithawand wrote:
poshie90 wrote:Anybody ever seen girls with some pitted scars got through? Are the chances very very slim?
U can't prepare for the management round except to read up on current affairs. You can be asked about ANYTHING under the sun. Elections, financial crisis, natural disasters etc etc.
Thanks. Is the kebaya round very stringent?
I have some pitted scars. Will it affect my chances?
U must be a flawless sweetie to have made it through. Because I heard that round is really tough as they look at you so closely. AND WITH SPOTLIGHT >.<

galwithawand
Regular
Regular

Post by galwithawand » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:56 am

poshie90 wrote: Thanks. Is the kebaya round very stringent?
I have some pitted scars. Will it affect my chances?
U must be a flawless sweetie to have made it through. Because I heard that round is really tough as they look at you so closely. AND WITH SPOTLIGHT >.<
Kebaya round is actually okay. There is no special spotlight used to check on you. During the skin check in round 2 I actually saw them using torchlight on top of the spot light to check the arms. Also, even if you passed the height and reach test during Day 1, you might be asked to take your height again during kebaya round if they are suspicious and they will NOT hesitate to boot you if you are shorter than required. I feel that skin check is a more careful, detailed check and kebaya round they mostly concentrate on your overall appearances(plus this round they examine the legs too). That's all for kebaya. Nothing to fear really.

I am not SIA and I have never seen your scars before so I'm not in the position to comment on them. It really depends on how serious it is and where it is positioned. To a certain extent, the person checking you matters too.

Clemation

Post by Clemation » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 1:14 pm

I have just completed my national service and received my COS today. And yes, similar case to galwithawand, i pulled through all the interviews on 2nd April and management round as well. However, for my management round, only 2/6 got through and both of us were guys. It's also my first attempt for SIA walk-in interview.

galwithawand, have you received a call from M yet? One guy i knew got his call on Wednesday already and that's pretty fast i must say.

galwithawand
Regular
Regular

Post by galwithawand » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 7:41 pm

Clemation wrote: galwithawand, have you received a call from M yet? One guy i knew got his call on Wednesday already and that's pretty fast i must say.
nope. none of my girlfriends have gotten the call yet too

Wilson12

Post by Wilson12 » Sat, 09 Apr 2011 6:40 am

ahdick9 wrote:
galwithawand wrote:I went for the interview last Saturday and it was my first time and it turned out to be easier than I thought.

Round 1
This was my least stressful round. Just prepare a 1 minute long self-intro beforehand and MEMORIZE it well and practice in front of a mirror and you should go through easily In the self-intro include hobbies, and drop a little info about past employments and whatever you say, refer back to how it helps you to be a good air crew.

2/10 got through this round, incl. me. 4 guys all got kicked.

Round 2
After round 1 I was ushered back to the waiting room for height taking and checking educational certs. After which was the skin check round. I befriended some girls who had already gone through the round. I was talking to a girl when the results were released and she got booted out which was weird cause she doesnt have scars and her skin is perfect. Another girl got booted out because of a 2cm long cut mark on her wrist. They are VERY VERY particular about slit marks/scars at wrist. Once they discover = bye bye to you. Don't even try concealing. They will ask you go wash off and come back to let them check. Birthmarks are fine.

This round basically check neck, back of neck(for tattoos), face, arms, teeth and ears. I was asked to walk a bit(3metres) but that's all.

Round 3
I didn't get to enjoy games round because it was late so I went straight to Round 4.

Round 4
I have to say I got a really really nice guy. I don't know if everyone is like that but the interviewer I got was really friendly and warm. I was asked to read a passage and answer a question regarding to it. After that it just ended up as a chit chat session. Of course, he did ask me some important questions such as 'other than the outstanding service Singapore Airlines is famous for, what else do you think put SIA above the rest' etc. He also asked about my job and what's the most challenging incident etc.

Management Round
IT WAS FUN! Just be yourself. My group met and started chatting with one another for about 2 hours beforehand so by the time we went for this round, we knew one another like old friends. We breezed through the intro friend part. There were a few hard words in the passages but it was okay if you mispronounce some but get 95% right. The discussion round was okay too in my opinion. Just voice your opinions and it should be fine.

5/6 got past this round

Kebaya Round
SUPER FUN! We were all so excited by then so we were having fun in the changing room finding our sizes and helping one another tidy up, zip zips and giving encouragements etc. I'm glad I met a bunch of such amazing people through this interview.

They check arms, legs(below knee), neck, ears and posture.

Conclusion
Just be yourself. [/b]

Medical Check
Urine, Eyesight, colour blind, height and weight, X ray, blood pressure, breasts, spine, ears, eyes, feet.

Hey there,

hello, I'm new here. you were saying the ears flapping out? one side of my ear is actually flapping out while the other isn't. And then regarding the skin check, how flawless the face has to be? cause you were saying that they use spot lights right? cause i have lots of blackheads on my nose. But other than that my face is generally fair. Furthermore, during the skin check, did you put any make up on your face? and if you did, did they ask you to wash off your make up?

Clemation

Post by Clemation » Sat, 09 Apr 2011 1:08 pm

Wilson12, just go and give it a shot looking at your best. Sometimes your personality outshine your looks but of course you can't look too bad as well. Do not worry about all these unnecessary problems. Just be confident enough to voice out and excel in your interviews that day. If you were eliminated due to physical reasons, then it's beyond your limits. As long as your face is free from scars, it should be fine.

galwithawand
Regular
Regular

Post by galwithawand » Sat, 09 Apr 2011 3:32 pm

Wilson12 wrote: hello, I'm new here. you were saying the ears flapping out? one side of my ear is actually flapping out while the other isn't. And then regarding the skin check, how flawless the face has to be? cause you were saying that they use spot lights right? cause i have lots of blackheads on my nose. But other than that my face is generally fair. Furthermore, during the skin check, did you put any make up on your face? and if you did, did they ask you to wash off your make up?
Ya, I agree with Clemation. Before the interview I was also obsessed with my imperfections like I got protruding front teeth, I have pimples, I have birthmarks on my forearm, etc etc. But throughout the interview, none of them even got pointed out or scrutinized by anyone. You do not have to be flawless; this is not a superhuman competition. You just have to go there and present yourself with confidence and speak well. That's the thing they look at the most.
And nope, I did not put on makeup but most girls did. And you are not required to wash it off. You will only be asked to remove makeup when you applied it to intentionally cover up something more complicated(e.g. slit marks on wrists)