Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
zetpeh
Regular
Regular

Post by zetpeh » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:41 pm

Yoshiaki wrote:oh yeah, speaking of which, wat are the main challanges that crew faces when they are on the job? I was posed this qn and in my mind I was like - I would only know when I m faced with that.

Thus was hoping seniors flying can give some insights as to the challanges faced. :wink: So least I will be more prepared mentally wat to expect and how to over come situations :)
hmmm... i think in future when answering these question, try to put yrself in their shoes and answer them in yr own experience and self... wat they are looking for is the personality in this round... be tactful and diplomatic with yr answers ... will be easier and u wun knw there will be more question linked on to this...
Last edited by zetpeh on Mon, 26 May 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yoshiaki

Post by Yoshiaki » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:43 pm

[quote="salvana"]

Yoshiaki... dun give up!! Keep practising on how u can convince the interviewer... i am very SURE u CAN GET the JOB in ur next attempt!
Have faith in urself... age is juz a figure (unless u do have some family or wateva planning). and yeah.. btw, I'm juz 1yr younger than you. 8-)

Yeah! I am already planning my next " battle plan" lol with my buddy, probs goin to try after the ban period. Will give myself til next Bdae to do it else will have to shelf my dream :( (Hopefully not)
Momento Mori

salvana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by salvana » Mon, 26 May 2008 4:45 pm

Here're some challenges that i can think of:

1. Away from family for pretty often
2. Jet lag
3. Back pain
4. Dry skin
5. Hm… wat else ah… anybody care to add on again?

wahahah… I got point 2,3&4 from the video that they showed in the waiting room… :P :lol: … somehow I can memorize what’s next after each scene… and oso the song… na na na na na ….. wahahha… only the na na na na lah…. :o

yeah man.... not only u answer the questions ah.. gotta b tactful... remember to provide solutions on those challenges as well. :)
Dreams Do Come True

sunkissed08

Post by sunkissed08 » Mon, 26 May 2008 5:25 pm

Hie..

Will any of you know when the next SIA & Silk Air recruitment will be?

SQ

Post by SQ » Mon, 26 May 2008 7:25 pm

Hi all,

One of e my frens went for the interview with her Diploma ystday but was rejected before going into the first round because her "base qualifiction" was a 'N' Level base.

The interviewer told her that SQ only accept 'O' Level holder with Diploma instead of 'N' Level holder with a Diploma.

Can someone advise me on this? I'm intending to take up Diploma in Hospitality Management because I hope to get into SQ but base is a 'N' Level Base...

yingying2888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yingying2888 » Mon, 26 May 2008 9:06 pm

Yoshiaki,

personally, i din realise how tough and draining this job can be until i joined the company.. initally like all outsiders i tot it was just a waiter/waitress job..

1. hierachy
its a uniformed organisation so you'll have to be prepared for alot alot of seniority. things like offering to let the seniors go first, eat first and drink first have to be done by u cos ur the most junior now. especially for ppl in their late 20s who already have some work experiences, they might not get used to working in an environment where u need to put others' needs in front of theirs. whether its a fellow crew or a pax. and also how are you going to handle when a senior asks u to do smth tt u know is wrong?

2. job scope
alot of things are situational. it has to be de ur done in ur own judgement. something you do might be right to another person, but wrong in another person's eyes. there's too many things to be listed down in black and white.

plus lots of other things like the need to leave ur home, working when all ur frens are out partying on a PH, not have a 9-5 job, not being able to enjoy your weekends etc..

which is why we all wanna fly isnt it? =)
the world at your doorstep

scylus

Post by scylus » Tue, 27 May 2008 3:41 am

zetpeh wrote:
Yoshiaki wrote:Hey Zetpeh :)

Thanks for sharing, how long have you been with SIA already?

They did bring out the point that I have lotsa mileage for my age (been working for quite some time - currently 27)

So I guess I will as have to as mentioned, reassure them that I will be ready for the challanges. They did ask me which areas do I forseee that I will be facing challanges which I honestly told them would be on the F & B side, kinda caught me off guard guess that was where I failed :(

Have to work on more roleplays to get into the next round and hopefully join the crew soon :wink:

i just join ... on 27 April... waiting for my traing to start ... well least i got better advantage as im 10years in Cs and 2 years in marketing... i dont mind to share if u got any queries in cs...
Hi Zetpeh,

may i know when you will be starting your training?

Yoshiaki

Post by Yoshiaki » Tue, 27 May 2008 8:40 am

yingying2888 wrote:Yoshiaki,

personally, i din realise how tough and draining this job can be until i joined the company.. initally like all outsiders i tot it was just a waiter/waitress job..

1. hierachy
its a uniformed organisation so you'll have to be prepared for alot alot of seniority. things like offering to let the seniors go first, eat first and drink first have to be done by u cos ur the most junior now. especially for ppl in their late 20s who already have some work experiences, they might not get used to working in an environment where u need to put others' needs in front of theirs. whether its a fellow crew or a pax. and also how are you going to handle when a senior asks u to do smth tt u know is wrong?

2. job scope
alot of things are situational. it has to be de ur done in ur own judgement. something you do might be right to another person, but wrong in another person's eyes. there's too many things to be listed down in black and white.

plus lots of other things like the need to leave ur home, working when all ur frens are out partying on a PH, not have a 9-5 job, not being able to enjoy your weekends etc..

which is why we all wanna fly isnt it? =)
Hi Yingying,

Those are the few pointers that I have noted and accepted, pertaining to the part about doing the wrong things under instructions, are there any ways to resolve the conflict without offending the seniors?

I mean there are certain protocols in uniformed org but this is like quasi uniform, there is a system in place but as mentioned, some details are not spelled in black and white :wink: Guess that's the fun part about the job too cos I am definitely not a desk bound person :wink:

btw how long have you been with the airlines already?

Yoshi
Momento Mori

Yoshiaki

Post by Yoshiaki » Tue, 27 May 2008 8:44 am

sunkissed08 wrote:Hie..

Will any of you know when the next SIA & Silk Air recruitment will be?
hey there sunkissed (reminds me of the orange juice :p)

well I will check periodically on sia career page just do a quick search and you are there :)

Just checked the site yesterday, no news of the next on though :)

Yoshi
Momento Mori

stewardwannabe
Regular
Regular

Post by stewardwannabe » Tue, 27 May 2008 9:10 am

mya wrote:hello there!!

heard MAS is recruiting now..
so.... for FA wannabees....this is ur chance! :)

hey

where did u hear MH is recruiting cabin crew... i jst went to their webpage .. its not listed under their current vacancy.. :(
SW

christineyuki

Post by christineyuki » Tue, 27 May 2008 11:53 am

Yoshiaki wrote:
salvana wrote:
Yoshiaki... dun give up!! Keep practising on how u can convince the interviewer... i am very SURE u CAN GET the JOB in ur next attempt!
Have faith in urself... age is juz a figure (unless u do have some family or wateva planning). and yeah.. btw, I'm juz 1yr younger than you. 8-)

Yeah! I am already planning my next " battle plan" lol with my buddy, probs goin to try after the ban period. Will give myself til next Bdae to do it else will have to shelf my dream :( (Hopefully not)
you can be a pilot instead...
一緒に青い空へ~

Eneres

Post by Eneres » Tue, 27 May 2008 12:15 pm

Hey guys,

i managed to pass all rounds for the 25th May interview. Need some adv here. I have done my medical check-up yesterday and due for attending the pre-employment briefing this coming Fri. Can i just check when will the results of the medical check - up be revealed to you? When will you sign the contract? Because i have to give 1 mth's notice.

Thanks in advance! :)
Yours Truly

Yoshiaki

Post by Yoshiaki » Tue, 27 May 2008 1:25 pm

christineyuki wrote: you can be a pilot instead...
I guess I can but would probs go get a degree if really wanna become pilot, crew job was cos I wanted the exposure and taste of the world whilst I m still energetic, by the time I get my degree I would be old man already :p

Btw christine, are you with SIA currently?

Yoshi
Momento Mori

Yoshiaki

Post by Yoshiaki » Tue, 27 May 2008 1:37 pm

Eneres wrote:Hey guys,

i managed to pass all rounds for the 25th May interview. Need some adv here. I have done my medical check-up yesterday and due for attending the pre-employment briefing this coming Fri. Can i just check when will the results of the medical check - up be revealed to you? When will you sign the contract? Because i have to give 1 mth's notice.

Wish I can answer dat :p But a safer bet would be Zeptah or pple who have went thru that. Grats on making it thru!

Yoshi
Momento Mori

Geraldine1988

Post by Geraldine1988 » Tue, 27 May 2008 1:49 pm

Eneres wrote:Hey guys,

Hi Eneres,
what time you reached in the morining to clear all rounds in the same day? And what time it ended? Thanks! :)
GeraldineGoh