Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:08 am

shaky wrote:Hmm... anyone knows as to what is the average number of years guys usually will work as SIA air stewards, as in the norm? And if there is good prospects working as one? :wink:
Hi Shaky,
It actually depends on individual and also ur health too.. Coz I know guys can work in SQ for more then 20yrs, so even if you are married, u can still carry on working as a air steward and by then, you will become a leading steward or even inflight supervisor. Therefore you can see most of the ifs are mostly guys.
Cheers!

Paige :wink:

Vicoon

Post by Vicoon » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:54 am

Hi..I'm new to this forum too. Actually i tried to register myself a number of times but my yahoo mails just can't seem to get the activation key.. :(

Anyway, i'm currently an undergrad and was planning to get an honours. but that also means that i'll be 24 by the time i graduate. if i apply to be an inflight attendant, will my 'lifespan' in SIA be very short?

Also, is it true that SIA don't take in ppl with moles? cos i have plenty.. on my face.. :( so unfair if they don't....

rosy

SIA Cabin Crew

Post by rosy » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:31 pm

Hi,

Just got to know this forum. U guys topics are v interesting and enriching. Hope u dun mind that i post this topic here.

Wonder if there are any SIA female cabin crew looking for room rental?

I hv two Aircon Rooms at Tampines St 33 (Lift level) for rent.

Fully furnished, queen size bed, cupboard, dressing table, TV....
Rent inclusive of PUB, wireless Broadband and SCV
10 minutes route leading to airport. Direct bus to SIA Training
Centre & airport.
Near to food court/plenty of coffee shops.
Great place, cosy and quiet.

Interest pls feel to email me (owner) : [email protected]

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 1:18 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Don't forget the excess cargo needed to stow their nasty attitudes. You and Mr. Bailey would get along just fine, he hates allthe big US carriers intensely...

And we have something else in common - we both think you're pretty ok!

'nuff said Image

monagy3

=)

Post by monagy3 » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:29 pm

i alwiz heard that SIA is one of the most friendliest airlines around..i guess my theory is prooven to be correct.. =)to those who are having their management interview end of this month...good luck :D
|[όμορφος]|

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: =)

Post by Plavt » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 1:13 am

monagy3 wrote:i alwiz heard that SIA is one of the most friendliest airlines around..i guess my theory is prooven to be correct.. =)to those who are having their management interview end of this month...good luck :D

That is true of the staff one meets as a passenger. However, like many westerners I still feel the airline is brazenly sexist. For example the selection procedure for female applicants is nothing short of a 'cattle market', evident by the 'nitpicking' over appearances. Having a small scar or the odd blemish shouldn't matter; personality and ability are far more important and even in male female relationship looks will often take second place. I understand they want people who are presentable and well groomed but there is no need to turn a young girl into an 'airline meringue'. Many of the airline's current employees feel the same way but it seems women in Singapore are subdued and unable to challenge as they themselves tell me. I can only wish you look and hope during the course of interviews the managers you meet concentrate on you as person and not as some kind of 'office flower'. Once again best of luck and if at first you do not succeed try, try again - many have as I am told by a former SIA flight engineer I met in Tokyo.

Plavt.

beenhoon

silkair

Post by beenhoon » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 3:08 am

Hi all,
Silkair is curently recruiting Flight Stewardess, give it a try! :)

We are looking for female cabin crew with a combination of grace, and a warm smile to continue providing excellent and attentive service to our customers.

We offer a host of generous service benefits including:
- Free and discounted travel
- Annual wage supplement of one month's salary
- Profit sharing bonus
- Attractive medical and dental benefits
- Meal, productivity and transport allowance where applicable

Requirements:
- Minimum height of 1.58m
- Minimum 3 GCE 'O' Level credits or 4 'N' Level credits including English
- Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents preferred

If you think you have what it takes to be part of our team, please email your resume, detailing your personal particulars, educational qualifications and a recent full-length photograph of yourself to: [email protected].

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 7:30 am

I have tried e-mailing my resume and stuffs to SilkAir but never gotten any answer. They'd only reply when we send in the resume during a recruitment exercise where the ad would read like below.

If you think you have what it takes to be part of our team, please email your resume, detailing your personal particulars, educational qualifications and a recent full-length photograph of yourself to: [email protected] by {date}

I really don't know when is the next recruitment. Anyone has a clue?
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

monagy3

Post by monagy3 » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:23 am

Plavt wrote:
monagy3 wrote:i alwiz heard that SIA is one of the most friendliest airlines around..i guess my theory is prooven to be correct.. =)to those who are having their management interview end of this month...good luck :D

That is true of the staff one meets as a passenger. However, like many westerners I still feel the airline is brazenly sexist. For example the selection procedure for female applicants is nothing short of a 'cattle market', evident by the 'nitpicking' over appearances. Having a small scar or the odd blemish shouldn't matter; personality and ability are far more important and even in male female relationship looks will often take second place. I understand they want people who are presentable and well groomed but there is no need to turn a young girl into an 'airline meringue'. Many of the airline's current employees feel the same way but it seems women in Singapore are subdued and unable to challenge as they themselves tell me. I can only wish you look and hope during the course of interviews the managers you meet concentrate on you as person and not as some kind of 'office flower'. Once again best of luck and if at first you do not succeed try, try again - many have as I am told by a former SIA flight engineer I met in Tokyo.

Plavt.
i agree whole heartedly with you..they put too much emphasis on appearence here...but i guess wot they want is someone pleasing to the eye and someone who is ever ready to do the slsightest bidding of a passenger..furthermore...there are to many applicants...so they try their very best to pick only the best and also they look for the smallest flaw in order to reject u...its quite disheartening to see ..when u noe u deserve the position and they tell u, u have blemishes on ur face and u r rejected but u have a degree in telecomunication engineering and u r beautifull and sophisticated...*SAD*.. but they have every right to be picky i guess.... :???:
|[όμορφος]|

reenita

Post by reenita » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:42 am

well in my opinion singaporeans have a judgemental attitude...when u talk or think about singapore girl...she must be slim pretty,,great skin,hair.....thats definetly stereotying...

however i was surprised to see some stewardess who are really skinny,plain and snobbish looking...sometimes u get confused to know what they really want????

monagy congratulations to you..hope u make it to the end....proud to see an indian airstewardess in sia.... :D ......

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Post by KT » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:59 am

No complains here ! I m happy with the way things are ! :P

Pvalt, on a side note ...mmm....conventionally sexist means descrimination based on sex .... so i would like to know what abt the male stewards ... are they not scrutinised in the same way during selection by the airline ? If they are also 'nitpicked' by appearances , i guess the problem would be "looks based descrimination" rather than sexism ? what say you.
monagy3 wrote:
Plavt wrote:

Plavt.
i agree whole heartedly with you..they put too much emphasis on appearence here...but i guess wot they want is someone pleasing to the eye and someone who is ever ready to do the slsightest bidding of a passenger..furthermore...there are to many applicants...so they try their very best to pick only the best and also they look for the smallest flaw in order to reject u...its quite disheartening to see ..when u noe u deserve the position and they tell u, u have blemishes on ur face and u r rejected but u have a degree in telecomunication engineering and u r beautifull and sophisticated...*SAD*.. but they have every right to be picky i guess.... :???:
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."

monagy3

Post by monagy3 » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 1:07 pm

KT wrote:No complains here ! I m happy with the way things are ! :P

Pvalt, on a side note ...mmm....conventionally sexist means descrimination based on sex .... so i would like to know what abt the male stewards ... are they not scrutinised in the same way during selection by the airline ? If they are also 'nitpicked' by appearances , i guess the problem would be "looks based descrimination" rather than sexism ? what say you.
monagy3 wrote:
Plavt wrote:

Plavt.

i dont think they r sexist..although the steward intake is alwiz considerably less than the stewardess intake...but the reasons for that has already been stated by previous threads...i think they r purely based on looks and of coz on also on how u carry urself..language and everything like that..sumtimes..being snoby looking can be mistaken for confidence..i guess that explains the snobby looking stewardesses..although i do feel that wes houldnt judge a book by its cover =P...n thanx reenita..i do hope imake it all the way till the very end...
|[όμορφος]|

monagy3

letter

Post by monagy3 » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 3:29 pm

i just received my letter
|[όμορφος]|

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 3:52 pm

KT wrote:No complains here ! I m happy with the way things are ! :P

Pvalt, on a side note ...mmm....conventionally sexist means descrimination based on sex
That is true but to expect every applicant to measure up to SIA expectations is illogical and ridiculous as well as unnecessary.
There should be no need for the constant screening of female applicants skin such as; after the swimming tests, putting the applicants hands under ultra-violet light, lifting their hair to examine their necks refusing them an position because of a temperorary rash (I know or two cases from this forum) that is brazen prejudice based on looks. Making them sign a contract in which they state they will not get pregnant within a certain term -whose business is that? There is little point to these exercises given the high turnover of female applicants. And yes the same may be said of male applicants for which I know little if anything of the selection procedure.

However, SIA makes a great deal of its 'Singapore Girl' image and that is certainly 'over the top', since the airline itself admits it uses young women to attract more passengers - presumably men. That places more demands on the girls than the men and may be thought of as sexist in some respects.

BTW - these practices are illegal in the UK, sorry but the airline is living in the past and Singaporean women themselves tell me 'they cannot challenge authority'.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 28 Nov 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mamom

i'm late...

Post by mamom » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 4:11 pm

oh my god...that i'm late to post my resume to SIA..i post it on 18/11/2005....but i saw the website's closing date is 28 oct...when will have another recruitment again...? :shock: