Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
I'M*(!_!)*Julie
Regular
Regular

Post by I'M*(!_!)*Julie » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 2:12 pm

Cheesie wrote:Hi guys, i'm new here.. but got look through quite a few days takie over here! and relize that there a recuitment last month.. anyone knows when the next recuitment? i gonna give it a try!! haha.. must take good care of mr keke.. :shock:
Hi Cheesie!

Although I'm not very sure when is the next recruitment but no worries as there will be alot of recruitment drive during these few months so no fret ok! Good luck!

Best Regards,
Julie Tan
Never Regret, As Life Is Too Short For Regrets!

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 2:50 pm

I'M*(!_!)*Julie wrote:
Cheesie wrote:Hi guys, i'm new here.. but got look through quite a few days takie over here! and relize that there a recuitment last month.. anyone knows when the next recuitment? i gonna give it a try!! haha.. must take good care of mr keke.. :shock:
Hi Cheesie!

Although I'm not very sure when is the next recruitment but no worries as there will be alot of recruitment drive during these few months so no fret ok! Good luck!

Best Regards,
Julie Tan
Hey Julie,

Welcome back!!! so happy to see u posting in the forum again...

Cheers!
Paige :wink:

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 3:01 pm

hey SG grrrrrrrrrrrl....
I think you should check the Silkair website properly.. Look under Silkair career>>> stewardess>> and they'll ask you to send a resume to an email address stated on that site..

I wish you luck..

One more, i know someone who worked for Silkair and moved to SIA after a few years. I think SIA will be pleased to get an experienced stewardess.

By the way, Cathay Pacific employs Singaporeans too.. My relative works there.. they are paid more than SIA.

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 4:20 pm

donno wrote:hey SG grrrrrrrrrrrl....
I think you should check the Silkair website properly.. Look under Silkair career>>> stewardess>> and they'll ask you to send a resume to an email address stated on that site..

I wish you luck..

One more, i know someone who worked for Silkair and moved to SIA after a few years. I think SIA will be pleased to get an experienced stewardess.

By the way, Cathay Pacific employs Singaporeans too.. My relative works there.. they are paid more than SIA.
Hi Donno,
As far as I know, CX now don't recruit Singaporeans. Please correct me if I'm wrong. How long have you relative worked for CX? As for a Silkair crew to move on to SQ, not all, cause, in my recent interview with SQ, some of the silkair crew didnt proceed to the 2nd round.

Cheers!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 5:32 pm

Paige,
Just looked at Cathay Pacific website, strange that the other poster isn't aware of this.

Are you the kind of person who loves challenges? Do you have the unique qualities we look for among our Flight Attendants?

To become a Flight Attendant (Hong Kong Base), you need to meet the following requirements:

You must have the Right of Abode in Hong Kong;
You must be educated to HKCEE standard or equivalent with a pass in English (Syllabus B);
Proficiency in reading and speaking Mandarin, English and Cantonese is essential;
You must also be able to pass a medical assessment and meet a minimum arm-reach of 208cm.

We are also looking for Flight Attendants (London Base) to join our London team in operating flights between United Kingdom and Hong Kong. The terms and conditions of employment are local.

To become a Flight Attendant with Cathay Pacific (London Base):
You must be educated to GCSE standard or equivalent with passes in English and Maths;
You must be entitled to live and work in the United KingdomYou must be 18 or above and have a minimum arm reach of 208cm;
You must be physically fit and able to pass a medical assessment;
The job will involve continuous contact with many people who do not speak English and who only speak one of the languages of our major destinations. Therefore, you must be fluent in speaking one of the following: Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Tagalog or Korean, as well as being able to speak and read English fluently. Fluency in other Chinese dialects will also be considered;
Previous experience in service industry is preferable;
Given legislation controlling access to restricted zones at all UK airports, you will be required to successfully complete a Criminal Record Check at Basic Disclosure level before employment can be offered. This is in addition to references we will also need to obtain from previous employers.
(This is necessary to meet our safety requirements. We measure arm reach by having you remove your shoes and extend your arms above your head. Standing on tiptoe is allowed.)

We are looking for individuals with a warm, caring and pleasant personality who demonstrate empathy in service with people from a variety of cultures and countries. If you possess the above service orientation quality with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, this is the job for you

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 5:37 pm

Saint wrote:
I personally believe this thread has got too long and the same questions are coming around again and again with the same answers being given. I guess it's just too much hassle to read through 318 pages.

May I suggest the more experience posters, like yourself, Plavt and others, write a definitive list of all the criterias/ requirements needed to become a FA. Maybe also a list of common questions that keep being asked with the relevant useful answers

You could then contact the Mods/Admin and ask for it to be posted as an "Announcement" or "Sticky"

What you think Singaporegrrl, Plavt and even Quasi :o
No one interested in this :lol:

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 5:50 pm

Saint wrote:
Saint wrote:
I personally believe this thread has got too long and the same questions are coming around again and again with the same answers being given. I guess it's just too much hassle to read through 318 pages.

May I suggest the more experience posters, like yourself, Plavt and others, write a definitive list of all the criterias/ requirements needed to become a FA. Maybe also a list of common questions that keep being asked with the relevant useful answers

You could then contact the Mods/Admin and ask for it to be posted as an "Announcement" or "Sticky"

What you think Singaporegrrl, Plavt and even Quasi :o
No one interested in this :lol:
You have good idea but I suspect that too many people will not bother reading it. Many of the enquires raised here are answered in the job description on the website of the airlines concerned (my previous post is an example).

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 8:29 pm

hey paige,

my relative has been working for CX for 9 years and now she is a flight pursur. she was a former silkair stewardess. she also applied for SIA after working for SilkAir but she failed the kebaya test due to some scars.

The another person i know, she join SIA after working for SilkAir. Although she was average looking, she made it. and i think it is because of her experience and her pleasant personality.

I think CX still recruit Singaporean as my friend's sister joined CX last year. She applied through the net.

Sometimes they look for Malay, Thai and Tagalog speaking crew,definitely, Hong Kongers cant speak those languages.

Thanks..

IS there any FLIGHT ATTENDANT here???

please tell us abt ur experience and interview.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 8:37 pm

donno wrote:
my relative has been working for CX for 9 years and now she is a flight pursur.
In that case one would hope you would know they will not employe Singaporean residents.
I think CX still recruit Singaporean as my friend's sister joined CX last year. She applied through the net.
Try reading their website the relevant information I posted earlier but of course I am that sarcastic old man you just aint gonna listen too....

Plavt.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 9:11 pm

PLAVTaravanalingamasala

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 9:24 pm

donno wrote:I think you should check the Silkair website properly.. Look under Silkair career>>> stewardess>> and they'll ask you to send a resume to an email address stated on that site..
Well yes I'm aware of of the ad. I tend to explore every pages of an airline's website so it's impossible for me to miss that ad when I've mentioned I check on it everyday. But then again you won't understand what I'm trying to say coz you've never applied for SilkAir and may never be since you're a guy.
donno wrote:I think CX still recruit Singaporean as my friend's sister joined CX last year.
Last year and this year could be very different but they might still be recruiting Singaporeans so just keep a lookout at the local papers.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 9:29 pm

donno wrote:PLAVTaravanalingamasala
Sorry mate I don't understand martian.

Plavt.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 9:43 pm

singaporegrrl wrote:
donno wrote:I think CX still recruit Singaporean as my friend's sister joined CX last year.
Last year and this year could be very different but they might still be recruiting Singaporeans so just keep a lookout at the local papers.
Singaporegrrl,
I do not know if you have looked back about a page but the current countries in which Cathay Pacific is recruiting are shown on the airlines website. You are quite right when you say this year could be very different since Low cost carriers often make it difficult for the major carriers to compete.

Plavt.

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Paige » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:16 am

donno wrote:hey paige,

my relative has been working for CX for 9 years and now she is a flight pursur. she was a former silkair stewardess. she also applied for SIA after working for SilkAir but she failed the kebaya test due to some scars.

The another person i know, she join SIA after working for SilkAir. Although she was average looking, she made it. and i think it is because of her experience and her pleasant personality.

Sometimes they look for Malay, Thai and Tagalog speaking crew,definitely, Hong Kongers cant speak those languages.

Thanks..

IS there any FLIGHT ATTENDANT here???

please tell us abt ur experience and interview.
Hi Donno,
Since you mentioned that your friend's sister applied through the net and joined CX last year, can you ask her which mth was the recruitment? Coz all along, I had been following CX's website and didnt realise that they had post the recruitment on the net. Thanks.
Btw, not ALL Silkair crew will be able to join SQ after working in Silkair for a few years. Yes, I agree with you that they have the experience, BUT.. SQ also do not want to take in too many Silkair crew, coz they r worried that the crew MITE bring the "bad habits" into SQ.. Therefore, SQ PREFER to recruit fresh graduates, so that they can be easily be MOLD into the standards they wanted.

Cheers!

prince

Post by prince » Sat, 28 Jan 2006 1:58 am

hmmm.. the forum sems to be getting a bit bitchy. hehe

yups, paige is right. when i was going thru my interview process, they kicked out two guys who were from tiger airways. they prefer fresh ppl who they can train up i think. anyway, my training will hopefully start in march! *crosses fingers*