Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Re: SIA Steward accused of rape...

Post by Abercrombie » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 9:24 pm

viper wrote: I think when overseas ladies should stick to each other when going shopping, or walking in the streets, best is to have at least a male cabin crew travelling with the group to ensure safely.
The guys are no longer that stupid to become a free body guard cum bags carrier anymore :cool: Sorry girls there are no free meals on earth... :P

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 9:33 pm

Ode wrote:they will b guaranteed of a job until they retire at 60. Even better than air force pilots who hv to retire at 45... Wat happens to those stewardess aft they hit 30 or 35? I hv meet ppl who were ex-stewardess doing other jobs nw. Mainly education jobs in private sectors thou they pay may b low...
Pilot are not guaranteed of their jod as they do have a medical checkup to pass every year and they have to go thru 4 simulator test flt annually (if I remember the nos correctly) Screw up any and its either grounded or bye bye. Not to mention that every flight have to be a almost perfect one as any inccident or accident then it will be bye bye too.

Ex crew pay is low compared to flying crew but what they are getting will be the market rate salaries depending on their educational level and experiences in that field of work. :wink:

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: SIA Steward accused of rape...

Post by Plavt » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 9:48 pm

viper wrote: I think when overseas ladies should stick to each other when going shopping, or walking in the streets, best is to have at least a male cabin crew travelling with the group to ensure safely.
Sorry viper, that won't ensure anything, believe me some of the 'creatures' out on the streets in some cities at night in some countries are best avoided altogether. The airline's own training (at least SIA, BA and any other respectable airline) will include a section that advise women to stay in groups or stick to the busy tourist areas. For those that have friends or relatives abroad the issue different since they are with people who know the territory. Abercrombie seems to know what I mean. regarding my first sentence.

highupinthesky

Re: SIA Kebaya specs

Post by highupinthesky » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 9:52 pm

sharin wrote:Hi, wuld anyone know how high the slit of the kebaya is? i have a 50cent coin sized scar on my calves.

And i also have a pin sized mole on my wrist. should i conceal?

and if i am 157cm, but can reach 212 cm, will my chances be slimmer?

Will they check the legs/feet as well?
the slit is damn high. but they do not check the legs and feet. so if its not obvious when u walk in the uniform, it shouldn't be a problem. is the mole on your wrist big?? if not, it should be fine =)

as for the height, maybe you can try stand a bit taller and such?? cos i have a friend who is also 157cm. she went for the walk-in and was booted out even before the first round... maybe u can try stand a little taller and all?? perhaps it will help =)

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 05 Sep 2008 9:53 pm

Abercrombie wrote: Not to mention that every flight have to be a almost perfect one as any inccident or accident then it will be bye bye too.
I don't think so, somehow I think you may be thinking of Taiwan where the pilot was wrongly blamed.

sharin

Re: SIA Kebaya specs

Post by sharin » Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:55 am

highupinthesky wrote:
sharin wrote:Hi, wuld anyone know how high the slit of the kebaya is? i have a 50cent coin sized scar on my calves.

And i also have a pin sized mole on my wrist. should i conceal?

and if i am 157cm, but can reach 212 cm, will my chances be slimmer?

Will they check the legs/feet as well?
the slit is damn high. but they do not check the legs and feet. so if its not obvious when u walk in the uniform, it shouldn't be a problem. is the mole on your wrist big?? if not, it should be fine =)

as for the height, maybe you can try stand a bit taller and such?? cos i have a friend who is also 157cm. she went for the walk-in and was booted out even before the first round... maybe u can try stand a little taller and all?? perhaps it will help =)
shucks. will there be a chance to try the reach mark if i am below 158cm? i know i can reach the 212cm, but not sure if i will be booted out. haha.. maybe wear a higher bun, then can hit 158cm..

starrynitezz
Regular
Regular

Post by starrynitezz » Sat, 06 Sep 2008 1:29 am

actually they are quite strict on the height requirement.. i have seen 3 of my friends being turned away cos they are not 158cm.. 1 is 157.5cm, 2 are 157cm. they had created a high poof, n tried tying up their hair in bun/chignon and stuffed it with those black ahma pins.. but not much use leh.

so eventually they tried silkair.. n 1 got in.. u can consider that

wawa2905

Not a bed of rosses afterall

Post by wawa2905 » Sat, 06 Sep 2008 3:21 pm

Its been ages since I last posted on this forum. I used to seek advices, express my thoughts n wonders, exchange views n obtain opinions frm fellow ppl here. I used to bang on how countless attempts I tried for this job n how I broke down knowing tat I got cut off at the very few last rounds. Finally at my 10th attempt I got in, somewhr last yr july. Was so exhilirated n so impatient to start training. Eager to start flyin back then to see the world. I always had tat impression flyin was so gona be easy, easy $, a career where u get paid to travel so what else can I ask for. As I started of my first few solos (flights), the truth revealed, it was so tough on me, huge culture shock where at times I broke down in the hotel room due to loneliness n fear. Fear always engulfed me on every flight I haf to report to. The 'seniority' culture, the 'thank u' n 'please'...'kowtow-ing' ...'sorries'..guess I use these words thousand of times tat I didnt realize at times I used then just for the sake to save my ass. It was a hard start, being a the most junior n under probation a lot of ppl will breathe down ur neck, interrogate u..blablabla..u always haf to keep on u ur feet. Ive always pictured that being a stewardess was easy, until wen I got in it was all abt being independent n a tough cookie esp working for SQ. I did ask myself, do I regret joining? All the effort of 10 attempts I went this far..am I gona quit halfway?

I was pushing myself to pass thru the probationary period of 6 mths and finally when it end, it was such a huge relief!! those fear on going for flights just dispersed slowly...since my 3rd mth flyin as I started to be confident n knoe wats my job. I slowly began to realize its not tat bad afterall. I still luv n enjoy the perks a stewardess gets like gettin to travel for free, get paid to sleep in posh hotel rooms, shopping, sightseeing..n many more whr no job can offer you. I started to get hang of it after a while, got immune wit the culture n expectation. Met ridicolous crew on board, crazy ones...demanding..all I did was to just ignore them. I felt better nowaydays, infact I start to enjoy n like this job.

Just some views to share my experience to those who wish to be part of this tough 'crew' world. To those who r like me who used to work previously would be easier for you to adapt n handle the job culture...I feel. But u gotta be real tough, its not all abt being glamourous, highly-paid, LV or longchamps bags, tiffany's etc...its all abt hard work n high tolerance.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Not a bed of rosses afterall

Post by Abercrombie » Sat, 06 Sep 2008 7:43 pm

wawa2905 wrote:But u gotta be real tough, its not all abt being glamourous, highly-paid, LV or longchamps bags, tiffany's etc...its all abt hard work n high tolerance.
Thats why you need all those branded goods as a reward for your hard work :wink: Life is indeed difficult during the 1st 6 months, new working environment, new lonely lifestyle and thousands of colleague that you will meet in the 1st year... This is not a job for the mentally weak. Think before you apply :roll:

dannyooi_84
Regular
Regular

Post by dannyooi_84 » Sat, 06 Sep 2008 8:42 pm

Hey guys, i would like to ask something regarding the SIA medical checkup. If i'm not mistaken there is a colour blind test right. I'm having red-green deficiency, as i think 1 out of 10 guys will be affected by it. To what degree is consider a no no for the airline.? Anyone can enlighten me about it. Thanks

wawa2905

Re: Not a bed of rosses afterall

Post by wawa2905 » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:39 am

Abercrombie wrote:
wawa2905 wrote:But u gotta be real tough, its not all abt being glamourous, highly-paid, LV or longchamps bags, tiffany's etc...its all abt hard work n high tolerance.
Thats why you need all those branded goods as a reward for your hard work :wink: Life is indeed difficult during the 1st 6 months, new working environment, new lonely lifestyle and thousands of colleague that you will meet in the 1st year... This is not a job for the mentally weak. Think before you apply :roll:
Yes i definitely agree with abercombie! It not for those who r mentally weak, think hard..real hard before you finally sign the 18mths bond. Even ur first step to the interviews, ask urself is this wat you really want? Am I able to 'tahan' the hazards of this job? I also notice a lot of the post mentioning abt physical look to get into this job. Change ur perception coz its so not true. Whatever 50cents scar u got on ur legs or tiny bumps on ur face as long as its not visible outside the kebaya or knoe how to conceal them, its not a big issue. Dont get too paranoid over this coz I really tink what they r lookin for is the attitude. Being humble before n througout this career brings u far. So tips here, is ur inner beauty.

wawa2905

Post by wawa2905 » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:40 am

dannyooi_84 wrote:Hey guys, i would like to ask something regarding the SIA medical checkup. If i'm not mistaken there is a colour blind test right. I'm having red-green deficiency, as i think 1 out of 10 guys will be affected by it. To what degree is consider a no no for the airline.? Anyone can enlighten me about it. Thanks

Dont worry la..color blind is not a big rejection unless ur applying for pilot. :D

dannyooi_84
Regular
Regular

Post by dannyooi_84 » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 1:16 am

thanks for the reply wawa2905.

I'm reading this thread from the beginning...now page 360. That time you nick is wawa right? still trying...and now you are stewardess for SIA.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 6:18 am

wawa2905 wrote:
Dont worry la..color blind is not a big rejection unless ur applying for pilot. :D
Red and Green is very serious leh, lots of things in the Aircraft are indicated by red or green example are the MIH, Mode selector of the door, safety equipment down to the position of the compartment latches indicated by red(open) or green(lock) dots..... I don't think you can even apply for a driving licence :???:

Gnip
Regular
Regular

Post by Gnip » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:39 am

Abercrombie wrote:
wawa2905 wrote:
Red and Green is very serious leh, lots of things in the Aircraft are indicated by red or green example are the MIH, Mode selector of the door, safety equipment down to the position of the compartment latches indicated by red(open) or green(lock) dots..... I don't think you can even apply for a driving licence :???:
I'm born partially deaf in one ear, is that going to be a major problem? :(
Helloo! (: