Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 1:57 am

triz wrote:Hi, heard that SIA have a reading-oral kind of interview something to test our eng commnication izzit?
That is during the 1-1 interview and not all have to go through that. It all depends.

M :cool:

eve see

Dream and Becoming

Post by eve see » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 9:50 am

Dear Everyone here...

I have joined the SIA big family last May... completed my training in September... and have been flying for almost a year now already. My contract ending early March next year.... and I cant wait for that day to come.

1 year plus back, I have this dream and ambition of becoming the SQ girl... because 2 of my poly friends had joined successful! I was kind of envy and at the same time I was jealous, I wanted to prove myself so i started sending in applications and going for interviews. I wasn't selected until the 3rd time i went for the interview. I was so happy!

My thinking was, it is a very glam job, people will look at me differently when I wear my kebaya and pull my luggage bag walking through the Airport terminal...... and during outings and gatherings, friends would always ask about which countries have I been to recently, and introduce me to their new friends as the SIA girl..... I feel so proud and yield for all these very much! I have got in!

But I am not happy. Everytime when I have to fly long haul, and everytime when I hace to fly during weekends and even special occasions, Christmas, CNY, Valentine..... I feel so sad, feeling my bf alone behind..... Yes I am worried that he might forsake me for another girl because I am always not around.... because of that, very frequently I will try to change my flights with my colleagues now and then..... but at the same time, I cant always get the flight schedule I wanted.......

I really hope to end my SIA contract soon.... and get a 9 to 5 job..... hope things wont change between us.... it's only a few months more to go.... I love him.

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:00 am

jejune wrote:
zoergal wrote:
jejune wrote:same.
i have small zits and im pretty worried, esp knowing they ill SCRUTINIZE your face so closely!

:P
wow !! really scary... i got a friend who went through the 1st round but got eliminate at the category of skin checkin . ..She told me she was asked to wear the kebaya then they will check if there is any zits or acne around the neck and back area...then oh god...she was eliminated because she had acne scars at the back...it really demoralize her...but nevertheless...she went for the JAL and get thru ...and she is now a JAL cabin crew but of course the pay is lower than SIA@@
die...i hv small ons on my back too.
sigh...why do they need to check the back when its covered?

From what my frd had told me is the area of the neck area where the kebaya canot be covered...they will check that area to ensure that there is no acne scars or pimples.....

So strict right!!!

Does any1 know that ...at the final stage of interview...all candidates got to give a speech individually?? is it true???i heard that from my frds too....

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Re: Dream and Becoming

Post by zoergal » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:06 am

eve see wrote:Dear Everyone here...

I have joined the SIA big family last May... completed my training in September... and have been flying for almost a year now already. My contract ending early March next year.... and I cant wait for that day to come.

1 year plus back, I have this dream and ambition of becoming the SQ girl... because 2 of my poly friends had joined successful! I was kind of envy and at the same time I was jealous, I wanted to prove myself so i started sending in applications and going for interviews. I wasn't selected until the 3rd time i went for the interview. I was so happy!

My thinking was, it is a very glam job, people will look at me differently when I wear my kebaya and pull my luggage bag walking through the Airport terminal...... and during outings and gatherings, friends would always ask about which countries have I been to recently, and introduce me to their new friends as the SIA girl..... I feel so proud and yield for all these very much! I have got in!

But I am not happy. Everytime when I have to fly long haul, and everytime when I hace to fly during weekends and even special occasions, Christmas, CNY, Valentine..... I feel so sad, feeling my bf alone behind..... Yes I am worried that he might forsake me for another girl because I am always not around.... because of that, very frequently I will try to change my flights with my colleagues now and then..... but at the same time, I cant always get the flight schedule I wanted.......

I really hope to end my SIA contract soon.... and get a 9 to 5 job..... hope things wont change between us.... it's only a few months more to
go.... I love him.

But do really bear to leave this highly pay job than to wrk in a 9- 5 job???
Sometime life is really contradicting, cos we the 9-5 employees wish to join in the FA industry whereas the existing FA wish to leave the industry as soon as possible to join in the 9- 5 jobs....HaHa!!!!
By the way, hope u dun mind to reveal how much average pay can u get back every mth....heheh...vry curious leh...

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:54 am

[quote="zoergal"][quote="jejune"][quote="zoergal"][quote="jejune"]same.
i have small zits and im pretty worried, esp knowing they ill SCRUTINIZE your face so closely!

:P[/quote]

wow !! really scary... i got a friend who went through the 1st round but got eliminate at the category of skin checkin . ..She told me she was asked to wear the kebaya then they will check if there is any zits or acne around the neck and back area...then oh god...she was eliminated because she had acne scars at the back...it really demoralize her...but nevertheless...she went for the JAL and get thru ...and she is now a JAL cabin crew but of course the pay is lower than SIA@@[/quote]

die...i hv small ons on my back too.
sigh...why do they need to check the back when its covered?[/quote]

From what my frd had told me is the area of the neck area where the kebaya canot be covered...they will check that area to ensure that there is no acne scars or pimples.....

So strict right!!!

Does any1 know that ...at the final stage of interview...all candidates got to give a speech individually?? is it true???i heard that from my frds too....[/quote]

[i]Speech? What kind of speech? i'm wondering what is there to talk about?[/i]

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:05 am

Hi Zoergal,

I agree with you...i hate to lead the 9 to 5 kinda cube life. It aint easy and of course there are pros and cons to be considered in both selections. I also hate to leave my bf behind and keep worrying that he might forsake me for another girl. But lets face the reality...nothing beats a highly paid job and yet live your life travelling to places you have been dreaming of.

To EVE SEE,

If your bf really loves you, why not give yourself a little mre confidence. Tell him your worries. Maybe you'll be too surprised to listen to what he has to say.

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:19 am

Beagle_lover wrote:
zoergal wrote:
jejune wrote: die...i hv small ons on my back too.
sigh...why do they need to check the back when its covered?

So strict right!!!

Does any1 know that ...at the final stage of interview...all candidates got to give a speech individually?? is it true???i heard that from my frds too....

Speech? What kind of speech? i'm wondering what is there to talk
about?

Ermmm....that is what i am wondering too...i duno true anot lor...
furthermore, she told me is infront of all the final round candidates...to give speech or something....
True or not ....only those were in the SIA know...So anybody already in the SIA can advise us is it true or juz a rumour???hehe ..thanks

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:47 am

Paige wrote:
mousey_val wrote:While awaiting for SIA invitation, I just got the silkair invitation via email mins ago!

My interview details as follows:-

4th October (Tuesday) at SIA Training Centre, Core A Level 1
8.50am...

Anyone got theirs?? :roll:
Hi Mousey_val,

Mind telling me your highest qualification? because I'm a degree holder and i applied for both silkair and SQ..

HI MOUSEY_VAL

I receive the invitation for interview from silkair too wor!!!! u goin ?
Thanks and regards,

mousey_val

Post by mousey_val » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:20 pm

Hi zoergal!

Yes of course i am going to give it a try.
i have a diploma..

whens ur interview time/date??

:)

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:38 pm

mousey_val wrote:Hi zoergal!

Yes of course i am going to give it a try.
i have a diploma..

whens ur interview time/date??

:)
Date : 4th October 2005
Core A, 1st Level- Interview room
(In-front of Staff Travel Office)
Time : 1310hrs

mousey_val

Post by mousey_val » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 1:31 pm

Hi zoergal..

wish u luck too! if u wanna chat, add me at: [email protected]

:roll:

Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 2:08 pm

mousey_val wrote:Hi Paige,

Well, I sent in several times..even before they put up the DATE of submission. I was told that my application will be in KIV status. Then I sent in twice after that during early september and today just the notification.

Paige, don't worry you will get your invites soon!... if possible, we can chat in msn: add me at~[email protected]

:wink:
Hi mousey_val,

congrats! at least u've received the news from Silkair....unlike Paige and I.... All the best ya... :)

exotica

Post by exotica » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 3:07 pm

hey,

I just found out from my cousin who flies for SQ that some cabin crew ask money on the sly to change flights.

Recently, we needed to attend a wedding of a very close relative and when she tried to change flights, she had to pay another stewardess about $200 to do it for her. It came as quite a shock! Apparently, some of them charge as much as $400

Of cos, there also the nice ones who do it for you FOC. But its kinda scary the kind of politics they have... anyway, its illegal to do it.. but they have an 'underground' economy going on :?

hiccup
Location: Singapore; Walking distance from Kembangan MRT station

Money Talks

Post by hiccup » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 3:27 pm

Everywhere is the same. 'Money that counts'. A few hundreds to them is 'chicken-feet'. They spend money like turning tap-water.
Professionalism means consistency of quality. Frank Tyger

mousey_val

Post by mousey_val » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 3:44 pm

Dear Hopeless,

hey! Brighten up...i havent got in yet...wait till i get in then i will jump for joy man..

wait for your email...i think its coming real soon for you too okie?