Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 6:46 pm

blancD wrote:aborting the baby just to avoid being ground? hmm.... :o
Can we always believe what is said in the papers? I somehow doubt the authenticity of such an article.

Plavt.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 6:55 pm

Those who abort the child are the crew who had casual sex and were not married. So, I dont know if i can trust the papers. That was what the stewardess told the reporter. :)
10 April 2006

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 7:13 pm

donno wrote:Those who abort the child are the crew who had casual sex and were not married. So, I dont know if i can trust the papers. That was what the stewardess told the reporter. :)
Point I was making Donno was not just a matter of believing what one is reading but just how often this happens. You may that such events are one in a million. A newspaper reporter 'latching-on' to just an odd event often exaggerates the real situation in order to sensationalize situations in order to sell newspapers. The press here will sometimes mention an isolated incident that may for example have happened in China with the impact that readers here will have all sorts of unjustified opinions of the Chinese. Here is an example from Ivan Southall's 'Indonesia Face to Face' when the population of Java was a mere million. The western press reported riots by 100, 000 in the capital which was reported around the world - imagine the impression. Now think of taking 100,000 people from a million, not many people taken as a percentage of the total population. Hope you see what I mean.

Plavt.

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Post by donno » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 7:19 pm

Plavt wrote:
donno wrote:Those who abort the child are the crew who had casual sex and were not married. So, I dont know if i can trust the papers. That was what the stewardess told the reporter. :)
Point I was making Donno was not just a matter of believing what one is reading but just how often this happens. You may that such events are one in a million. A newspaper reporter 'latching-on' to just an odd event often exaggerates the real situation in order to sensationalize situations in order to sell newspapers. The press here will sometimes mention an isolated incident that may for example have happened in China with the impact that readers here will have all sorts of unjustified opinions of the Chinese. Here is an example from Ivan Southall's 'Indonesia Face to Face' when the population of Java was a mere million. The western press reported riots by 100, 000 in the capital which was reported around the world - imagine the impression. Now think of taking 100,000 people from a million, not many people taken as a percentage of the total population. Hope you see what I mean.

Plavt.
Yeah, i can see what you wanna say. And i agree with you.
10 April 2006

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blancD » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 1:01 am

we can't deny incidents like this do happen. I agree with Plavt that newspapers do sensationalize stories to attract readers. Hope it won't be a let down to all cabin crew wannabes :D
"City of Ang3Ls"

ryanstarr
Regular
Regular

Post by ryanstarr » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 9:07 am

Plavt wrote:ryanstarr,
Don't want to put you off applying but hope you have given a lot of thought to your application as there will be an enormous cultural difference, some of which may come as a shock. Although maybe that's one of the reasons you chose to apply in the first place. Should be young enough and have the abilites you would at least get the possible oppurtunity of becoming a pilot, which it seems is an unlikely prospect with SIA. There are other things I could mention but not here for the moment. Take good care of yourself.

Plavt.
Thank you for all your support, Plavt & Paige. My interview is today at Suntec City here in Sunny Singapore. See some of you guys there. God bless you all. :-)
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

erieo
Regular
Regular

Post by erieo » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 7:47 pm

ryanstarr wrote:
Plavt wrote:ryanstarr,
Don't want to put you off applying but hope you have given a lot of thought to your application as there will be an enormous cultural difference, some of which may come as a shock. Although maybe that's one of the reasons you chose to apply in the first place. Should be young enough and have the abilites you would at least get the possible oppurtunity of becoming a pilot, which it seems is an unlikely prospect with SIA. There are other things I could mention but not here for the moment. Take good care of yourself.

Plavt.
Thank you for all your support, Plavt & Paige. My interview is today at Suntec City here in Sunny Singapore. See some of you guys there. God bless you all. :-)
Good luck for ur interview :)

charle

Post by charle » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 2:14 pm

guys that went for water confidence and psychometric test on 22 March, received any email for management interview yet? That batch got 47 ppl that got through one.

Twinklez27

Post by Twinklez27 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 5:25 am

Aloha everyone...

Does anyone here knows what do the interviewers actually look for in the kebaya round?

Frankly speaking, i was out in the kebaya round and clueless of why it happened.

They had only chosen 1 out of 10 gals in my group, we were really puzzled, some of the gals had great potentials in SIA, but yet, 9 of us were rejected. =(

Some went in to the next round conditionally, i.e. some were asked to put on weight, and the worst is that one girl was actually given 3 months to clear her pimples before going for the next round. How weird....

I had browsed thru most of the threads and have yet to see any post regarding the issues on teeth~ heh, was just wondering does anyone here knows if straight teeth is a must? I just have one tooth which went in a little due to the growth of my wisdom tooth..sad...=( I would say that it is not really very obvious, but still can be seen, can this be one of the reason why i was out? sobz...was thinking if i should wear braces..but am afraid that time is running out for me..heh..FYI, i am 22 this year~

Thank you all for replying my msg~

cheerios~

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 2:02 pm

Twinklez27 wrote:Aloha everyone...

Does anyone here knows what do the interviewers actually look for in the kebaya round?

Frankly speaking, i was out in the kebaya round and clueless of why it happened.

They had only chosen 1 out of 10 gals in my group, we were really puzzled, some of the gals had great potentials in SIA, but yet, 9 of us were rejected. =(

Some went in to the next round conditionally, i.e. some were asked to put on weight, and the worst is that one girl was actually given 3 months to clear her pimples before going for the next round. How weird....

I had browsed thru most of the threads and have yet to see any post regarding the issues on teeth~ heh, was just wondering does anyone here knows if straight teeth is a must? I just have one tooth which went in a little due to the growth of my wisdom tooth..sad...=( I would say that it is not really very obvious, but still can be seen, can this be one of the reason why i was out? sobz...was thinking if i should wear braces..but am afraid that time is running out for me..heh..FYI, i am 22 this year~

cheerios~

HI, Can i know out of how many from your total grp actually proceed to Mgmt interview and how many actually got eliminated? Thanks

:roll:

erieo
Regular
Regular

Re: Not to get your hopes too high

Post by erieo » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 6:34 pm

[quote="Cheesie]
Hi redapple,

Do you know if a cover letter and resume is required apart from the application form and when will their next opening?

The SIA website are still showing last month walk-in details and did not mention much abt sending via email.

Hey hi... actually i did try to email them my applications form.. but couldn't send it through.. dunno why! either their mail no space or they stop us from sending at this moment? i dunno... but i still trying to send it! so... hope we can send it through..[/quote]

Hi Cheesie and redapple,

Are you gals able to email the application form and did SIA reply?..Hrmm no news at all...I know that they are conducting walk-in interview in Malaysia this coming weekend soon...wonder when will it be in SG.

fishballnoodles

Post by fishballnoodles » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 8:15 pm

Twinklez27 wrote:Aloha everyone...

cheerios~
frankly speaking, wt is not a problem. u can be thin but u cant be too plump. alittle plump it's fine. cos i saw alot big size trainees in STC still.
as for pimples, nobody can prevent pimples. is up to ur luck too. i do see alot girls with pimples in STC! whats a concealer for?
so is not a big matter.
is all abt luck plus i feel one thing most impt is, u cant have body odour.

during kebaya rd, u were asked to go in to the room, with abt 3 or 4 ladies inside. two are some seniors, one lancome beautian. they will see u from top to bottom very closely. thats the part when they smell u.

u no need to have SQ look. after u have ur grooming classes in stc, thats when u have the SQ look.

alright?
wish u the best

fishballnoodles

Post by fishballnoodles » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 8:16 pm

charle wrote:guys that went for water confidence and psychometric test on 22 March, received any email for management interview yet? That batch got 47 ppl that got through one.
dont worry. HR department wont forget any potential applicants. just be patient.

Twinklez27

Post by Twinklez27 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:22 pm

Hi zoergal and fishballnoddles,

First of all, zoergal, from what i heard from the girls from our group, we had a total of 60 girls who went for the water confidence test and the kebaya rd. i am not too sure if anyone was eliminated during the water confidence rd, but we were split up in groups of 10 for the kebaya rd, and the number of gals who got in are as of the followings:

1 in 10; 2 in 10 (one was asked to put on weight); 3 in 10 (one was sent back until pimples recover); 3 in 10; 2 in 10; and the last batch had 6 in 9. :???: Total was 17 out of 59? i think so..

fishballnoodles, thanks for your reply as well..but i had another query in mind...was just wondering if we were kicked out cause we were too rowdy while waiting for our interview turn...haha..the staff who was with us for both rds was like staring at us after she warned us to keep our volume down..and she actually went in to the interview room when one gal went in..duno wat she did..but..the only gal who went in was number 1..haha..so she was not involved with us..haha..just some thoughts..or rather..i think i am just trying to find some reasons to console myself for not being selected... :?

anyway, lesson learnt, behave urselves at all times of the interview~ don't take too many pics...and get too excited..hahah... :wink:

redapple

Re: Not to get your hopes too high

Post by redapple » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:34 pm

erieo wrote:[quote="Cheesie]
Hi redapple,

Do you know if a cover letter and resume is required apart from the application form and when will their next opening?

The SIA website are still showing last month walk-in details and did not mention much abt sending via email.

Hey hi... actually i did try to email them my applications form.. but couldn't send it through.. dunno why! either their mail no space or they stop us from sending at this moment? i dunno... but i still trying to send it! so... hope we can send it through..[/quote]

Hi Cheesie and redapple,

Are you gals able to email the application form and did SIA reply?..Hrmm no news at all...I know that they are conducting walk-in interview in Malaysia this coming weekend soon...wonder when will it be in SG.[/quote][/quote]

:) Redapple:hmm, i didnt try to email them now. i will wait for them to post another recruitment intake.:) i guess we should have some patience.. Meanwhile, just wait for them to finish the malaysia walk in.. :) no worries...