Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
karen

Re: TO: Karen

Post by karen » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 3:01 am

FAwannabe wrote:Hi Karen,

Im also 27 this year!! And im trying out for SIA's flight stewardess position also... Im not sure if the age limit is @ 26 tho because Ive got friends(in SIA) who told me they met juz freshies who got in at the age of 28!

And a couple of years ago, another friend of mine who got in at the age of 25, said that she was surprised to find a 27 yr old girl in her training class... so i s'pose it all boils down to your CRM experiences, communication skills, the number of foreign languages u know etc.

Have u tried writing in yet? Any success? :)
hi Fawannabe,

the 1st time i tried, i was 26 years old, and i was invited to the interview. but didn't make it thru.

so i applied twice again, when i turned 27, but never once got a reply from them. so disappointed... i speak a 3rd language, but prob, they dun need it...

i was sick with gastric flu and cough when i went for the interview last time. wasn't in a very good frame of mind, i guess, feeling tired, look sickly and tired... so now, i hope that i can have another chance again.

are u sure there are newbies age 26-28?

this time round, i did apply, but no reply from them yet...sooo sad... :(

eliza

Re: TO: Karen

Post by eliza » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 4:02 am

karen wrote:
FAwannabe wrote:Hi Karen,

Im also 27 this year!! And im trying out for SIA's flight stewardess position also... Im not sure if the age limit is @ 26 tho because Ive got friends(in SIA) who told me they met juz freshies who got in at the age of 28!

And a couple of years ago, another friend of mine who got in at the age of 25, said that she was surprised to find a 27 yr old girl in her training class... so i s'pose it all boils down to your CRM experiences, communication skills, the number of foreign languages u know etc.

Have u tried writing in yet? Any success? :)
hi Fawannabe,

the 1st time i tried, i was 26 years old, and i was invited to the interview. but didn't make it thru.

so i applied twice again, when i turned 27, but never once got a reply from them. so disappointed... i speak a 3rd language, but prob, they dun need it...

i was sick with gastric flu and cough when i went for the interview last time. wasn't in a very good frame of mind, i guess, feeling tired, look sickly and tired... so now, i hope that i can have another chance again.

are u sure there are newbies age 26-28?

this time round, i did apply, but no reply from them yet...sooo sad... :(
hi Hopless and FAwannabe and karen

dun worry, just keep trying and dun worry abt the age thingy. my friend got in on her 3rd attempt & she was 26 years old then. she has been flying for 5 years. at her time, it was a walk-in-interview.

she also met new trainees who are age from 26-29 year old. and i get to know a girl thru my sister, who is also a flight stewardess. she was 28 years old when she got in late last year and she applied 8 times before she got in. and she wasn't typical slim girl, more towards the big-boned type of girl.

so just keep applying and who knows, u might just be the one they are looking for in one of their recruitment.

also, sharon au, the artiste, who was once a stewardess with SIA, told me that the cut off age for locals (singaporean) is 29 years old (i asked her cos i was interested in applying but i was then 26, now 27). so we can keep trying till then. btw, i am working in mediacorp in the filming area, that's why i get to work with sharon.

and i saw kym hg before. and she wasn't tall at all, think about 157cm only. and she was shorter than me quite a bit, i am abt 161cm. so, height isn't too much of a problem if u are 157cm, i suppose.

and i saw the post that jll post, the girls in SIA are really in various looks. from pretty to average-looking and some slightly below average i think.. hee... no offences taken, i just say who i feel. me no beauty either. ;)

the photos, u can take a look: http://photos.yahoo.com/woohoo123123123

all the best to all the girls out there! keep ur dreams alive! :D

Fawannabe

Post by Fawannabe » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:17 am

Eliza,

Hey!! Thanks for your encouragement!! I didnt know theres actly a cap on the age since the website didnt indicate.. Did u write in for the recent recuitment exercise? :) ive heard tt bit abt kim ng b4 tho.. she not being tall n stuff.. in fact. sm1 told me she tried a lot of times b4 she got in..

Hopeless:

See wat i told u?? There are ppl ages 26 - 29 who got in.. So chin up dear!! my frn's cousin got in last year.. n shes 27 then!! Tho im not really sure how the HR shorlist applicants.. if age is not a factor..and cover letter not an issue.. height's not the determinent either, den wat is?? Wat is tt thing tt we lack??

Karen,

At least u got selected once!! Better than me!! None at all.. and ive sent in 3 times already.. hahaha.. No worries my dear, try try try n keep trying..

Hey, do u gals have msn msgr? Will really like to make friends with all of u.. :lol: i

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:22 am

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I'm Malaysian.I wonder why I wasn't shortlisted. I did everything according to the requirements. Cover letter, photos(studio shots even), application form. But till now, still no replies and I start to wonder what are they looking for. I do have working experience in customer service. Hmmm.......this is confusing hehe......I sent before 18th as well.....guess I'll wait for another week and see how it goes. I've sent another application yesterday and hopefully get a reply on the 2nd of July
Heard from my fren in hr that those who were shortlisted for the interview are required to verify whether they would be able to turn up. If they unable to do so, they would give others a chance. So it might be possible that you would receive an invitation from wed onwards. Just keep your fingers crossed :D
Thats EXCELLENT NEWS!! Just a quick qn tho guest.. why dun u pull a few strings n land urself an interview since u're so chummy w the HR pax?? I would if Ive got the chance.. :) afterall, there are stories abt ppl who got in this way..

M

Post by M » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:25 am

Anonymous wrote:M,

What were the questions asked for the last interview - I heard it's the most gruelling interview.

10x
Hey Guest,

Didn't manage to reach the last few stages. I'm afraid I can't help? :roll:

M

Post by M » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:27 am

tinkerbelle wrote:Hihi M,

You're funny.. shud ve no prob acing that interview if u speak as well as u write!! :)
Dear tinker,

I reckon it's different when it's a formal interview? And it's worse when you have to wait a min 1.5 hrs for your turn and with 9 other canidates for the first round? I hope the morning slot is better this time round if not I will be stuck with citibank!! :roll:

M

Post by M » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:29 am

tinkerbelle wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I'm Malaysian.I wonder why I wasn't shortlisted. I did everything according to the requirements. Cover letter, photos(studio shots even), application form. But till now, still no replies and I start to wonder what are they looking for. I do have working experience in customer service. Hmmm.......this is confusing hehe......I sent before 18th as well.....guess I'll wait for another week and see how it goes. I've sent another application yesterday and hopefully get a reply on the 2nd of July
Heard from my fren in hr that those who were shortlisted for the interview are required to verify whether they would be able to turn up. If they unable to do so, they would give others a chance. So it might be possible that you would receive an invitation from wed onwards. Just keep your fingers crossed :D
Thats EXCELLENT NEWS!! Just a quick qn tho guest.. why dun u pull a few strings n land urself an interview since u're so chummy w the HR pax?? I would if Ive got the chance.. :) afterall, there are stories abt ppl who got in this way..
Well unless your friend is da head of the recruitment or something. One of my friend's friend is and he got into SQ I heard without interviewing. :roll:

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:40 am

M,

Citibank huh??!! whos ur boss!! gonna tell on u.

Dun fret, go there n enjoy the interview. i know its easier said than done (cliche cliche..) but if u percieve it as some gathering, u know, SDU or something.. tt'll prob take some pressure off.

:lol:

Minibar

Post by Minibar » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:40 am

M wrote:

What were the questions asked for the last interview - I heard it's the most gruelling interview.

10x
Hey Guest,

Well... I was there the last round... Not realli tat terrible, general QnA but atmosphere is realli tense. You juz need to present the best of u on that day will be fine. Try not to think of the worst. Be positive. :wink:

M

Post by M » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:52 am

tinkerbelle wrote:M,

Citibank huh??!! whos ur boss!! gonna tell on u.

Dun fret, go there n enjoy the interview. i know its easier said than done (cliche cliche..) but if u percieve it as some gathering, u know, SDU or something.. tt'll prob take some pressure off.

:lol:
tinkertinker,

Job placement postponed slightly so yet to know who's my boss but it's a 5 days work week which is kind of interesting. Previously I was from the media and now I'm just trying again for the SQ recruitment. Just hoping to get in and get away from Singapore. Emirates is opened too and might just try for that! :shock:

Not really pressurized by the interview I guess. First time round was my first formal interview but I reckon I've grown more since then. But still gonna cross my fingers for this Sunday. :P

pimp

Post by pimp » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:53 am

Minibar wrote:
M wrote:

10x
Hey Guest,

Well... I was there the last round... Not realli tat terrible, general QnA but atmosphere is realli tense. You juz need to present the best of u on that day will be fine. Try not to think of the worst. Be positive. :wink:
My advice is, quit worrying and start doing some research!! Practice speaking in front of the mirror..

Tink of the questions they are most likely to ask u and try to prepare for it..Funny experiences you've had, oustanding service u've delivered..why u wanna be a FA etc.

Scenario-building questions e.g wat u wld do if the special meal passenger requested is not on-flight, passenger wants amenities thats only available to first-class etc.

Read up abt SIA,share-price of the company on that day..acquisition of additional planes.. competition from budget airlines..

Read this thread, from page 1 - end..

If i were u, i'll be dead nervous too. but better to take sm action den worry myself silly... Good luck pal!!

M

Post by M » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:53 am

Minibar wrote:
M wrote:

10x
Hey Guest,

Understand! Be confident, natural and well posed! :twisted: Thank you though.

M

Post by M » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:55 am

pimp wrote:
Minibar wrote:
M wrote: Hey Guest,

My advice is, quit worrying and start doing some research!! Practice speaking in front of the mirror..

Tink of the questions they are most likely to ask u and try to prepare for it..Funny experiences you've had, oustanding service u've delivered..why u want to be a FA etc.

Scenario-building questions e.g wat u wld do if the special meal passenger requested is not on-flight, passenger wants amenities thats only available to first-class etc.

Read up abt SIA,share-price of the company on that day..acquisition of additional planes.. competition from budget airlines..

Read this thread, from page 1 - end..

If i were u, i'll be dead nervous too. but better to take sm action den worry myself silly... Good luck pal!!
Indeed but too much research and preparations might just backfire too? Adequate self preparations should be sufficent. Too much information squeezed into the head might just be too overwhelming at the last minute. :shock:

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:57 am

M,

yeap, tts the attitude.. rem to SMILE SMILE SMILE SMILE SMILE..

Are u close to the frn-who-knows-someone from SIA??

Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:03 am

Fawannabe wrote:Eliza,

Hey!! Thanks for your encouragement!! I didnt know theres actly a cap on the age since the website didnt indicate.. Did u write in for the recent recuitment exercise? :) ive heard tt bit abt kim ng b4 tho.. she not being tall n stuff.. in fact. sm1 told me she tried a lot of times b4 she got in..

Hopeless:

See wat i told u?? There are ppl ages 26 - 29 who got in.. So chin up dear!! my frn's cousin got in last year.. n shes 27 then!! Tho im not really sure how the HR shorlist applicants.. if age is not a factor..and cover letter not an issue.. height's not the determinent either, den wat is?? Wat is tt thing tt we lack??

Karen,

At least u got selected once!! Better than me!! None at all.. and ive sent in 3 times already.. hahaha.. No worries my dear, try try try n keep trying..

Hey, do u gals have msn msgr? Will really like to make friends with all of u.. :lol: i
Eliza:

Thanks alot for ur encouragement! I do hope thats the case for us "old" gals! =p

FAWannabe:

Yup i do have msn, but havent been using it... Whats ur id? :)
I guess theres no chance for us this time round, since til now no news....
Hopefully there'll be another recruitment so we can try again... *sigh*
Oh ya...i sent in a half-length photo instead...do u think thats a factor?