Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
SuZy

qualifications

Post by SuZy » Mon, 09 May 2005 10:13 pm

HEy guys, ive been trying to get into SQ for the longest time... the only problem is that now, SQ are asking for a'levels / diploma...

I messed up my previous Diploma so im pretty much stuck with just o'levels... i just need to find out if a private diploma would be accepted. Perhaps a travel and tourism dip, but from BMC or something.

I really would like help from u guys cuz im sure most of u know alot more than me. Its really killing me cuz i really want this.. and it seems at this period of time every single other airline thats based in SG is not hiring.

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much

Leto

Post by Leto » Mon, 09 May 2005 10:55 pm

So may i know who got through for the 7 May interview?

i think i heard the girls who got in are around age 20 to 24.

So if u are 25 & aboe, mid or late 20s dun even think of applying...... SIA wants mature guys...... about 25 26 27 28.ut for girls they prefer young girls...... early 20s..21 to 24 preferably.......

They dont like lau cha bo!

CuriousCat

Post by CuriousCat » Mon, 09 May 2005 11:01 pm

Autumn wrote:
Anonymous wrote:does anyone know what's the normal contract length if you are really lucky to be selected as the air stewardess by SIA?
Hi,

If i'm not wrong, the bond is 16mths (4 mths training, 1 year flying). There is a concurrent 5-year contract; if u work til end of 5 year, u'll get a gratuity. That applies for stewardesses only; stewards dun apply...
Hi Autumn

Has SQ changed its bond period recently? When I was offered the contract last year, they specified very clearly that the bond is 18 months, excluding 4 months of training. Please help clarify on this.

Btw, you seem to be very familiar with all the policies etc. Are you a flight stewardess/steward yourself?

Many thanks!

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue, 10 May 2005 1:37 am

Vinny wrote:Hi..
Does anyone knows any SQ girl who are shorter then 1.58m?
Cause some of my friends from SQ told me that some lucky gals manage to become a cabin crew even though they are shorter then 1.58m.
hi vinny,

yup, there are some SQ girls who are shorter than 1.58m, about 1.57m and 1.56m.

it depends on your luck and if the person who measure ur height is not that strict and willing to 'relax' a bit, close one eye.

so, just give it a try. my friend's friend wrote down her height as 1.58m in the application form when she is really only 1.57m. but she got in anyway and is now flying for two months after training.

all the best. =)

Re: qualifications

Post by Guest » Tue, 10 May 2005 8:08 am

SuZy wrote:HEy guys, ive been trying to get into SQ for the longest time... the only problem is that now, SQ are asking for a'levels / diploma...

I messed up my previous Diploma so im pretty much stuck with just o'levels... i just need to find out if a private diploma would be accepted. Perhaps a travel and tourism dip, but from BMC or something.

I really would like help from u guys cuz im sure most of u know alot more than me. Its really killing me cuz i really want this.. and it seems at this period of time every single other airline thats based in SG is not hiring.

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much
a very good question being raised...

are private diploma qualifications accepted by SIA?

Post by Guest » Tue, 10 May 2005 8:16 am

CuriousCat wrote:
Autumn wrote:
Anonymous wrote:does anyone know what's the normal contract length if you are really lucky to be selected as the air stewardess by SIA?
Hi,

If i'm not wrong, the bond is 16mths (4 mths training, 1 year flying). There is a concurrent 5-year contract; if u work til end of 5 year, u'll get a gratuity. That applies for stewardesses only; stewards dun apply...
Hi Autumn

Has SQ changed its bond period recently? When I was offered the contract last year, they specified very clearly that the bond is 18 months, excluding 4 months of training. Please help clarify on this.

Btw, you seem to be very familiar with all the policies etc. Are you a flight stewardess/steward yourself?

Many thanks!
Hi CuriousCat,

Oops i think that was 7yrs ago! I suppose currently the bond now is 22mths (18 mths flying, 4mths training) correct? The bond amt now is also much higher than last time; same goes for the salary scale. Previously, all 'O', diploma n degree holders have the same basic salary....very low!

Yup was once a cabin crew.... :)

So u are with SQ now?

Keisha

What is my stand?

Post by Keisha » Tue, 10 May 2005 8:45 am

To the good people here,

Need your advice…

I am thinking of writing in to SIA to attend their next interview. However, I do not know if I fully qualify for their requirements…

I am 24+ years old (turning 25 in 3 months) and having a height of 158cm. I am on the slim side with quite a good proportion. With regards to SIA’s requirements on qualifications, I do not possess an A-levels certification or a Polytechnic Diploma though I was formally a dropout from a Polytechnic (self-withdrawal from course due to lack of interest). At current, I am only holding onto a Private Diploma in Information Technology from a Commercial School. I know nuts about a foreign language or have much experience in the Customer Service Industry though I am currently working for a Multi-National Company. I meet a lot of expatriates from different countries though.

Do you think I stand a chance?

Regards,
Keisha

Keisha

Post by Keisha » Tue, 10 May 2005 8:55 am

Any ex or current cabin crew can advise me on my above questions?

Or anyone who has attended the rounds of interviews would know?

Thanks!

happigal

Post by happigal » Tue, 10 May 2005 10:19 am

does anyone know whether water confidence test can be delayed if i'm having my period at that time?

catmeat

Post by catmeat » Tue, 10 May 2005 10:46 am

SuZy wrote:HEy guys, ive been trying to get into SQ for the longest time... the only problem is that now, SQ are asking for a'levels / diploma...

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much

hi im having same situation as u. but i did study 3 years in poly but i stopped after which (i suppose to take 4 years, yikes!) im waiting for the next intake and hope they would close one eye! :roll:

Andrew Low

Post by Andrew Low » Tue, 10 May 2005 11:44 am

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much
Hi SuZy,

They only accept dip from local poly.

Regards
Andrew

Andrew Low

Post by Andrew Low » Tue, 10 May 2005 11:50 am

Keisha wrote:Any ex or current cabin crew can advise me on my above questions?

Or anyone who has attended the rounds of interviews would know?

Thanks!
Hi Keisha,

Do check out the answer I reply for SuZy

Regards
Andrew

Andrew Low

Post by Andrew Low » Tue, 10 May 2005 11:51 am

catmeat wrote:

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much
hi im having same situation as u. but i did study 3 years in poly but i stopped after which (i suppose to take 4 years, yikes!) im waiting for the next intake and hope they would close one eye! :roll:
Dear catmeat,

They will just ignore the appplicantion if you do not match the min entry criteria.

Regards
Andrew

Post by Guest » Tue, 10 May 2005 12:37 pm

I'm around 161cm, but with only around 41kgs. m i too thin for an air stewardess?

Post by Guest » Tue, 10 May 2005 1:02 pm

Andrew Low wrote:
catmeat wrote:

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much
Andrew, I was once previously called up for an interview... I do not possess an A-levels cert or got poly cert.

Dear catmeat,

They will just ignore the appplicantion if you do not match the min entry criteria.

Regards
Andrew