Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
higgledy
Regular
Regular

Post by higgledy » Fri, 08 Sep 2006 2:13 pm

I agree with what Nikki1166 and nafnaf mentioned here. Looking back, the stewardesses in the very past, they were all graceful & elegant. Even when they touched down, they still look friendly. Just in May, I went on a company trip to Taiwan. On our flight back, there were 2 stewardesses, with average service and after they touched down, they were smoking & their "ah lian" behavior showed up. My manager even commented that they looked as if they were prostituting. But what left a deep impression was when I was on my way home from the airport, I spotted 2 stwardesses, 1 standing and puffing, the other sitting, smoking but what grossed me out was she even spreaded her legs widely. Imagine they were all still wearing their uniform? It's a total disgrace & utter disappointment when I saw them. You cannot control their lives but at least, do whatever you want when you are not in your uniform & at the airport. Of course, there are also a handful who are really nice & sweet... I just seriously hope that the management can do something about it. :/

Aquagal
Regular
Regular

Post by Aquagal » Fri, 08 Sep 2006 3:17 pm

nafnaf wrote:i agree with what Nikki1166 has said the standard of the girls these days are terrible.Out of the girls chosen I believe only a few are considered pretty and i wont say that all these girls who were chosen have the full package.Believe it or not those who are training in STC now are all so arrogant,have they forgotten that in this line we must always stay down to earth and be humble I believe during the training they are always told to eat humble pie and this group of girls really spoil the whole image of the Singapore Girl by going to the nearby mall carrying the signature handbag and walking with their arrogant faces high up in the air as if everyone owes them something.Another point to note would be,I notice that alot of pretty girls who are very keen on the job always manage to get through the first round but when it comes to the skin check by the Lancome beautician only a bare few make it through and these girls who make it through usually are the ones who do not have the Singapore Girl look.I feel that if what they want is the whole package they should not go to such extremes like using a spotlight of sorts to check the complexion.It seems her decision of who makes it through matters most as compared to the interviewers or management maybe that is why most of the girls these days do not have the so called standard.Prior to this a similar incident happened in STC not too long ago during the swim check for the guys,the interviewer wanted this particular guy to be in as he has the look for the job but the Lancome lady said no and this was brought up to the management but sadly the Lancome lady was given the authority instead then what's the point of having the interviewers?The message I want to bring across here would be, I feel that they should choose those who posess the whole package not just by emphasizing on the complexion those who have a very good complexion doesnt mean they have a very strong passion and interest in this job.

Yeah, I truly agree wid nafnaf had mentioned... Sometime around July, I was out shopping at Orchard wid some frens, then we saw 3 SIA trainees at a particular cosmetics counter... We think they are cuz becuse of their BLUE eyeshadow and SUPER red lipstick...... hehe.. They seem quite arrogant cuz there are a quiet no of pple staring at them.. they made some sarcarstic remarks abt e brand's products and they scooted off... :mad: Come on, they are under training and stil wanna put on a proud face... very sad to see that.. all these GERS are the BLAck sheep of the industry!!! IF SIA wanna remain the reputable airline in the world, maybe the managment should review their standards in recruiting such ppl in future again.....
Last edited by Aquagal on Fri, 08 Sep 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armani25

Post by Armani25 » Fri, 08 Sep 2006 5:30 pm

Well, I been reading a lot before going to the last interview on Sunday. I feel that its my duty to share with the others about my experiences,so that you are prepared for whats coming.Whats interesting is that I always heard that the person who come for the interview are gorgeous looking people, but thas not what I see, there are many who have "cannot make it" face or figure, so go for it! dont be intimidated by what plp say!
I went to the walk in at 11.20 which is not a good move since their closing time is 12pm. Your time slot will be arranged according to first come first serve. As you expect, i waited for more than 3 hours just for that 1 min self introduction interview. The wait is killing n damn boring... after 3 hrs of waiting, my group of 10 was directed to enter the room where 2 monsters are waiting inside to eat you up!! They look really like monsters in a way they stare at you from head to toe. So the moment u step in , they already scan you whether u r suitable or not. Its not a place hwere u want to be. its very tense, cold with these 2 monsters inside. That stern looking lady then start a small introduction on whats expected from us, we were told to introduce ourself, like what we do blahhh blahhhh, and i more stupid question!! we have to talk about what kind of food we like!!
I was pretty calm all these while untill its almost my turn to stand up, u can feel the tense. I think i was a bit nervous just like anyone,knowing that these 2 monsters r staring with their x-ray eyes through your spine n bone. i stood up and face the other 9 candidates and start to introduce "Good afternooon evryone, my name...." before i could finish one of the man monster open his mouth "EXCUSE ME, COULD U PLS TURN OVER N FACE US! (The monsters). As u predicted, i was out. WHAT REALLY surprise me is how they choose. there was this guy who is gorgeous and tall n sweet looking among the 10 of us, he was also booted out, during his introduction, he talk really well with his cute lips smiling all the way around. I totally shock that they choose these 2 guys among us, one very skinny guyyyy which way around 55kg 168. And 1 average looking guy, But not that tall cute looking sweet guy who is all natural smile on his face. Well 1 thing to worth to mention, what this 2 chosen guys have the "same" category of look-which is hmmmm how to describe....... its that kind of look who comb his hair nicely, a bit nerdy type of hairstyle n character but smooth talker. They r not looking for someone who is cute, handsome or beautiful, THIS IS NOT A MODEL CONTEST, THEY R A SERVICE ORIENTED INDUSTRY!!! Those 2 guys chosen are Definately out if they r in model searching contest, n that tall hansome guy in. I thinkt he reason, he doesnt get in, cuz he doesnt have that nerdy hairdo which is swept to the side smth like that lah..... i was just totally suprised loh.... that the guy beside me who is more skinnier than me get in. I would say that he has that look of .....er hard to desribe, its a look where u wont find in other service industry like PRADA ,GUCCI..... they want an "approachable" kind of look. U know what i mean when u see someone, n u feel that its very comfortable being with them ,very real not plastic type!! where u feel like tlaking to him or her nonstop. Its true that some try to act friendly and smiley , but let me say this, if u r not, even tough u fake it, it looks obvious and fake, n that turns them off, Myabe the 1st thing u should do is try to smile to everyone u see, until u get automatically used to that....
GOOD LUCK TO Those trying, just remember "THIS IS NOT A MODELING CONTEST, ITS SIA-they r looking for that person who is real, humble , friendly n not forgetting SWEET SMILE :-) SO BEFORE U GO , SEE IF YOU COULD MAKE POEPLE LIKE U FOR THE WAY U R!! IF U SUCEED THN AIR STEWARD IS UR KIND OF JOB!!!!!

niennaanarion
Regular
Regular

Post by niennaanarion » Fri, 08 Sep 2006 8:05 pm

hey.. im sorry to hear about your interview, try next month ok, dont give up.

btw I got my email regarding that I passed the 2nd round interview (two to one interview) =D im happy, of course I am. basically the 2nd round interview they asked about my background and my employment experience, anything they can ask from my CV.

My final Interview is on 14 sept 06, 09:00am. I guess this one is mngmt interview?I hope that they're as nice as the officers before, we were lucky cuz they were all really nice and friendly. Im going to practice what answers i would give to them on the final interview, just the points. I dont think my 2nd interview was a success but it wasnt a failure either, but I smiled the whole time. I guess that really helps.

and then tea party on the evening.

so I hope I'll get this job, wish me luck guys. I need it.
A dream is real only when you try to reach it. Eventho you fail in the process, its a start and you'll get better everytime. I Believe that.

A Dreamer

Felma Panjaitan

niennaanarion
Regular
Regular

Post by niennaanarion » Fri, 08 Sep 2006 8:15 pm

oh yea, btw there werent any bad looking girls, its either average, sweet looking, pretty. guess thats just coincidence. but i think it has to be a full package, pretty but also has to have the warmth and great personality, I dont think they go for JUST the looks, but i do agree you have to be really well groomed and watch the way you sit and answering the questions, your body gestures i mean.
A dream is real only when you try to reach it. Eventho you fail in the process, its a start and you'll get better everytime. I Believe that.

A Dreamer

Felma Panjaitan

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Sat, 09 Sep 2006 5:55 pm

Of course smiling helps..A Flight Steward/Stewardess is a person who can smile when doing their job and maintain the smile even when they are out of their uniform..No point trying to act as if you're a nice person.. 8-) 8-)
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

Shreked
Regular
Regular

Post by Shreked » Sat, 09 Sep 2006 7:14 pm

Usually, 1st timers wont go through the interview easily. They want to see if you're really keen and interested to work with them. Convince them when you keep on trying. They will recognize you for sure.
I'm Evolving!
My Wings are growing!!!

blizz1209
Regular
Regular

Management Interview-waiting is a pain

Post by blizz1209 » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:50 am

Dear all,

I have attended my water confidence test on the 29 Aug 2006 and put my notice period 1 month.

Till date,i haven't receive email from SIA when is managemet interview yet.

Am getting worried while waiting like tis, will they just forget that they need 2 notify us? Coz me & my batch friends all haven't receive. Or will they just entertain/process those ppl stated immediate 1, and once they think the quota is full, they will not bother us anymore?

Can any1 with pass experience share with me that how long is the waiting period like?

And wat do we need 2 prepare to answer/do during the management interview & tea party? Read from the previous threads that we gotta ask intelligent question. But not sure wat are the intelligent questions 2 ask. Frankly speaking, i m interested to ask for the basic pay,leave entitlement,bonus,... (hehe,i know these r not intelligent ques 4 sure).

Thanks.

Regards,
Blizz

Rian

Re: Management Interview-waiting is a pain

Post by Rian » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:29 pm

blizz1209 wrote:Dear all,

I have attended my water confidence test on the 29 Aug 2006 and put my notice period 1 month.

Am getting worried while waiting like tis, will they just forget that they need 2 notify us? Coz me & my batch friends all haven't receive. Or will they just entertain/process those ppl stated immediate 1, and once they think the quota is full, they will not bother us anymore?

Can any1 with pass experience share with me that how long is the waiting period like?

And wat do we need 2 prepare to answer/do during the management interview & tea party? Read from the previous threads that we gotta ask intelligent question. But not sure wat are the intelligent questions 2 ask. Frankly speaking, i m interested to ask for the basic pay,leave entitlement,bonus,... (hehe,i know these r not intelligent ques 4 sure).

Thanks.

Regards,
Blizz
Don't worry. You should get it any time soon! I went for the water confidence test on 5 sep and I just got an email from them today (roughly around evening). My mgmt interview will be on 14/9. Keep checking your email. I too, stated that my notice period 1 month. Don't give up and keep trying.. I'll keep trying too....

blizz1209
Regular
Regular

Re: Management Interview-waiting is a pain

Post by blizz1209 » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:36 pm

Rian wrote:
blizz1209 wrote:Dear all,

Thanks.

Regards,
Blizz
Don't worry. You should get it any time soon! I went for the water confidence test on 5 sep and I just got an email from them today (roughly around evening). My mgmt interview will be on 14/9. Keep checking your email. I too, stated that my notice period 1 month. Don't give up and keep trying.. I'll keep trying too....
Dear Rian,
Hey..Thanks for your encouragement. U r so kind.
Haha,I've received email from them that my mgmt round is on 19 Sept. Am so relieved that i finally got the email from them. Was really worried at 1st.
Anyway,let's wish all the best 2 both of us & hope we can b colleagues ya..

Regards,
Blizz

twinkling

Post by twinkling » Wed, 13 Sep 2006 2:16 am

hey thanks to blancD. got ur message but i couldn't post a reply to it. thanks (:

serembanboy

Post by serembanboy » Thu, 14 Sep 2006 7:09 pm

rian n niennamarion,

how did ur mngt interview went today?
i do hope u guys got it :D

melleong

How's the final interview?

Post by melleong » Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:32 pm

serembanboy wrote:rian n niennamarion,

how did ur mngt interview went today?
i do hope u guys got it :D

Hey serembanboy/rian/niennamarion....How was the final round ? Can you please advise on what happened and what to look out for ? :-|
Mine is next Wed 20 Sep and i am damn freaking nervous :???: ....A few of my mates hv went so far and failed either at the 2-1 interview or the medical, which sounded so stringent !! :shock:

Zappyboi

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blancD » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:51 am

twinkling wrote:hey thanks to blancD. got ur message but i couldn't post a reply to it. thanks (:
no problem, glad to help, good luck to u!
"City of Ang3Ls"

inamorato

Post by inamorato » Fri, 15 Sep 2006 2:07 pm

Hey people. I'm 18 this year and I'm considering withdrawing from my current polytechnic and going for the 2 years SASS Atlantic programme. What I'm doing in polytechnic is irrelevant to this line, I've great interest in being an Air Stewardess.

I've 5 O Levels credits including English. But I do not meet their minimum requirement of 2 A Levels credits and 2 O Levels credits. My question is - should I take A levels privately and go ahead for the interview or should I go for the 2 year SASS Atlantic programme to gain experience and get the diploma before joining SIA? Which has a higher chance?

Thanks & Regards.
:)