Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Tres Bien Merci

Post by Tres Bien Merci » Wed, 09 Jul 2008 9:51 am

I agree that as CC, they need to have essential personality not just to look pretty.
This is one of the marketing strategies for this airline to get more market share. But I really disagree with this marketing strategy since indirectly they are practicing discrimination to old worker.

It does not mean that when you are old you are not able to perform well in your job. In fact, old worker they have more valuable experienced and they know very well how to handle passenger and emergency situation compare to new and young crew. Old crews have spent so many years with the airline but what they get in return?

Regarding Pilot versus CC, I would say how much money the company needs to spent to train one pilot compare to CC? How about the salary comparison between pilot and CC? If the pilot grows older, will the company still using them as their captain? How about CC? From my understanding, the older the pilots are and as long as they are physically fit, the more salary they will receive since they have a lot experience in this line.

As the interviewer, this is your job to find a potential candidate for the company, someone that able to contribute to the company. It means as interviewer you need to be impartial. You can not hire people just base on whether you like the person or not. It should base on how close this candidate to fit to this job. Whether she/he are able to handle the tough life as CC or not? Whether she/he understand very well their role as CC or not? They need to think of company interest.

From my understanding, some of the interviewers are not qualify as interviewer. Since they are hiring massively, they do not have enough manpower so sometimes people from other department will come and help to be the interviewer. They do not have a right knowledge to hire a potential candidate. Where is their professionalism? Is it fair to all the candidates? They are sacrificing their weekend to attend this interview but they met with “wrong”

JadeiteJade
Chatter
Chatter

Post by JadeiteJade » Wed, 09 Jul 2008 3:28 pm

redhead wrote:hi i am new in this forum. I'm having problems now can anybody enlighten me.

I already accepted the airline's invitation for me to have training. I have already gone through less than a week of training but then been planning not to pursue at all. my reason is that i am going back to my country <urgent>, do i have the right to say that i won't be continueing my training as i have paid for it also? won't i be able to get the money i paid them? as for SQ,Tiger Airways,Silk air.. would they make me pay for a certain amount bec i didn't continue having training ? :(
you should be asking the HR department.

chriztopher

Post by chriztopher » Wed, 09 Jul 2008 4:08 pm

[quote="Tres Bien Merci"]I agree that as CC, they need to have essential personality not just to look pretty.
This is one of the marketing strategies for this airline to get more market share. But I really disagree with this marketing strategy since indirectly they are practicing discrimination to old worker.

It does not mean that when you are old you are not able to perform well in your job. In fact, old worker they have more valuable experienced and they know very well how to handle passenger and emergency situation compare to new and young crew. Old crews have spent so many years with the airline but what they get in return?

Regarding Pilot versus CC, I would say how much money the company needs to spent to train one pilot compare to CC? How about the salary comparison between pilot and CC? If the pilot grows older, will the company still using them as their captain? How about CC? From my understanding, the older the pilots are and as long as they are physically fit, the more salary they will receive since they have a lot experience in this line.

As the interviewer, this is your job to find a potential candidate for the company, someone that able to contribute to the company. It means as interviewer you need to be impartial. You can not hire people just base on whether you like the person or not. It should base on how close this candidate to fit to this job. Whether she/he are able to handle the tough life as CC or not? Whether she/he understand very well their role as CC or not? They need to think of company interest.

From my understanding, some of the interviewers are not qualify as interviewer. Since they are hiring massively, they do not have enough manpower so sometimes people from other department will come and help to be the interviewer. They do not have a right knowledge to hire a potential candidate. Where is their professionalism? Is it fair to all the candidates? They are sacrificing their weekend to attend this interview but they met with “wrong”
No hype, no gloss, no pretense. Just me - Miseducation of Rehpotzirhc

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 09 Jul 2008 6:55 pm

Plavt - our work here is done, I think.

We came, we tried, we were defeated.

If some people really think they will get jobs with SQ, which as we all know isn't the only airline in the world, then I am somewhat dismayed at their policies.

Remember, boys and girls, without passengers (PAX), you actually don't have an airline.

If you are the only ones going into interviews, and if you're so desperate, then I'm going to be booking other airlines now. PPS or not.

We tried, mate, we tried.

Best of luck to all.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 09 Jul 2008 7:08 pm

Tres Bien Merci wrote:...
A previous point I made, is that CCQ pilots (command/captain) with CCQ (Cross Crew Qualifictaions on the Boeings), I think it's called something different on the Chairbus. EVERYONE is on crap pay.

SQ will NOT take command or F/O's with existing endorsements on the 777, 744, A3x0 - even if you hold endorsements on the equipment. SQ want to make sure everyone is Singaporean, so they spend close on $110,000AUD in Australia to take young guys (NOT girls) and train them either on the freigher fleet or put them on the 73NG, 744, A3, etc.

Total hours that will be in the right seat as your F/O? 550

Five Hundred and Fifty hours.

Now, start to think about that.

The only times they have hired is when they have realised they have made a big mistake - ordered too much equipment (planes) and don't have crew to fly them. Then the DWE come in like they do at CX.

Oh well, tried to help you all out. Stay brave and true...

kittybaby_

Post by kittybaby_ » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 1:58 am

anyone going for the coming interview on 19 July 2008? and i would like to know the process of interviews will be like? and what are we required to wear during the interview. Hmmm..

chriztopher

Post by chriztopher » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 8:42 am

Hi kittybaby,

I believe they have posted the process of interview in previous pages, you may just have to refer back and you will get the information you wish for.

Good luck :)
No hype, no gloss, no pretense. Just me - Miseducation of Rehpotzirhc

viper
Regular
Regular

Post by viper » Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:12 am

good luck to all. :D

nana07
Regular
Regular

Post by nana07 » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 1:38 am

kittybaby_ wrote: and i would like to know the process of interviews will be like? and what are we required to wear during the interview. Hmmm..
i suggest reading the last 20 pages and you can find the answers easily. 8-)

2ndtimelucky

Post by 2ndtimelucky » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 7:03 am

dont stay too long in this job la...
ppl there are so FULL of SHIT!!!

most of them are hypocritical actors/ actresses who pretend. remember that they are not showing their true self....its called fake friendliness! what belies it is a hidden malicoius nature who wont hesitate to write you in(meaning ruin your career) once you make a mistake.

i suggest you doonly for max 2 yrs and plan for another job

remember, this job is SO FULL of ASSHOLES

Tres Bien Merci

Post by Tres Bien Merci » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 9:40 am

You are right 2ndtimelucky. This job is terrible and they are profesional actor/actress with their fake smile all the time. That is why my friend always cry in the toilet or in the hotel. She cant wait the bond for the bond to end. :( Pity her!!! She is a lovely and cheerful girl but now what happen to her?

They should do something with this problem. With unhealthy working environment it will make their staff demoralize and it will lead to resignation.

Becuase of this, they will lost potential employees and left with unpotential employees who can not even handle simple fire situation or emergency situation. They are also discriminate between passenger.

They need to remember, in the service line, we need to treat everyone equaly and fair. They are the king. But for them, only a choosen one receive this treatment.

It is true that people prefer to be served by pretty and handsome looking person but if we are talking about safety, about your life, are you sure that you will entrust it to a wrong person? Must remember that we may not have doctor, fire warden, police, and etc when we are 35000 feet above the sky. Who is the person we need to rely on when emergency occur?

I am sharing this to all of you because i just want you to be sure this is the job you are waiting for. I do not have any bad intention. This is purely sharing.

And now, time for me to stop to say all the things. Now time for you to think again whether this is really a job that you are waiting for? Some of you left the job becasue previous job is suck so you want to change company with the hope of better people, better pay, better working environment. So please think properly whether you make a right decision by choosing this job as your next job.

Ode

Post by Ode » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 5:16 pm

Fake smiles
Last edited by Ode on Sat, 08 Aug 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llentimes
Regular
Regular

Post by llentimes » Fri, 11 Jul 2008 9:52 pm

Tres Bien Merci wrote: This job is terrible and they are profesional actor/actress with their fake smile all the time. [/color][/color]

Yes, they may be fake. But they are just being professional. Who will pay few hundreds bucks to be serve by grumpy crew? If so, the whole of Japan will be a FAKE country. cause everyone is so smiley and friendly. But yet japanese, regardless of what position, are always polite willing to help. One of the professional people I have ever since.

They should do something with this problem. With unhealthy working environment it will make their staff demoralize and it will lead to resignation.

I think Singaporeans are just too fragile as life is to comfortable for us. Alittle upset or so call too much "stress", they will quit and hope to find a better job elsewhere.
I doubt it only exist in SIA... It whether you wanna do something to let yourself survive.

They need to remember, in the service line, we need to treat everyone equaly and fair. They are the king. But for them, only a choosen one receive this treatment.

In service line, there is no equal or fair...most of the time, only customers ARE RIGHT even if they are not. Is either you make customer happy or you lose them to your competitors.

Now time for you to think again whether this is really a job that you are waiting for? Some of you left the job becasue previous job is suck so you want to change company with the hope of better people, better pay, better working environment. So please think properly whether you make a right decision by choosing this job as your next job.

Totally true...think wise and twice. :lol:
"Whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, beliving , ye shall receive" Mathew 21:22

zetpeh
Regular
Regular

Post by zetpeh » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 1:08 am

i believed there are always pro and cons in a job/career and i dun really wished to say much as its a never ending ball game, well life is not always as smooth as u think as it all depend on individual...
most importantly, only the fittest will survive...

absoo.faboo

Post by absoo.faboo » Sun, 13 Jul 2008 3:51 am

well, a friend of mine, a fellow indonesian who worked in SQ had done a drastic decision. Run away from Singapore, move back to her home town. In other word, She just left the job like that,, Shes still under the bond thingy I guess..

She was saying that this cabin crew thingy is not as good and great as she thought. The bitchy-ness of those seniors are killing her.

I cant really believe all the stories that she told me, cuz, look at them, Singapore girl image is way too different from something that is bitchy. grr..

I think it's the time for SIA management to conduct and review their employees working field. It's not healthy at all, full of crap - that wat my friend said :roll: