Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
snowss
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowss » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 2:46 pm

summer_evening wrote:Not confirm yet but was told the next intake will be on 25th May.
Wah, 25th May is my mum's birthday :)

So tat means it's in another 3 weeks time..Hopefully they will announce on their website too :wink:
(=^_^=)

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hafiz_ » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 2:46 pm

hey people. i just got home from my pre-employment briefing. and yeah, we were told that if we have friends who are interested, the next walk-in will be held on the 25th of May. so there you go. jia you! :)

fixyou

dilemma

Post by fixyou » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 2:57 pm

Went for the 27th april walk-in, managed to pass all 3 rounds, going for management soon.
However, i'm in a dilemma of whether or not to embark this career for 22 mths before going for my degree in SIM or shld i just complete my 2 yrs degree in SIM before trying out SIA again.

Btw Hafiz, where are you schooling now?

Another question, does water confidence test in that 4 mths training requires u to know swimming at all? or we just got to wear that lifevest and jump into the pool from the mockplane and thats it?

thanks for answering to my enquires. :)
be my escapade.

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hafiz_ » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 3:02 pm

hello fixyou, i'm in SIM. going on to year 3 when the new academic year starts in september or smth, which i plan to do on a part-time basis. i know it's gonna be difficult but i'll try to work hard. haha.

summerboy02
Regular
Regular

Post by summerboy02 » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 3:14 pm

Dear Hafiz

So will there be another Flight steward interview on May 25?I'm juz afraid they have hired more than enough guys....

fixyou

Post by fixyou » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 3:16 pm

hey hafiz, thanks for the prompt reply (:
oh i see, yar, i heard during training and probation, u cant change flight duties nor miss any lessons, you really got to work very hard. but can see that you're very determine which is good :)

when will your training starts?

seriously, from your point of view shld i study and get a degree first or embark on this career before executing my study plans?
really appreciate some valuable thoughts and personal experience here (if any).

Thanks all.
be my escapade.

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hafiz_ » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 3:24 pm

summerboy, i wasnt told if it was just for the girls so i'm assuming the guys are able to go as well. haha. dont worry.

fixyou, i'd know how you feel. if i were you i'd probably complete my deg first cuz flying and missing lessons will require alot of work on your part. i know i'm contradicting what i said with what i plan to do. haha. do give it some thought lor. but if you're really disciplined, why not? :)

Angiezz

Post by Angiezz » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 5:24 pm

hafiz_ wrote:hello fixyou, i'm in SIM. going on to year 3 when the new academic year starts in september or smth, which i plan to do on a part-time basis. i know it's gonna be difficult but i'll try to work hard. haha.
Hafiz when does your training begin?
Won't there be afew sch lessons missed if you happen to be abroad? Just have to cope with it is that... :-|

With the limited 20 flight-changes, do think think that would be sufficient to last through a yr, considering the important lessons, mid-term tests, exams etc to attend?

Probation period wouldn't allow any changes and leaves, atop the fact that bids for annual leave may not always be won.

Heard from a friend that the no. of days back in sg's ard 8-10. That doesn't seem to allow for much attendance in sch at all... :?

I put a 2yr deg course on hold to see how the schedule will be first, before deciding whether or not to do it part-time or to stop flying after 2 yrs and further studies from there.

Fixyou, guess you & I probably are/were weighing out similar issues. I chose to take up the job coz I'm not sure if a 2yrs' delay would decrease my chances of getting it in future. Afterall, the sad reality is that this line does have a shelf-life and youth will always be a definite advantage.

Hafiz, I can only imagine how much a load it'll add-on for you to juggle the final yr atop such a job.
I'll have 2 yrs of it to go through should I take up a part-time deg hence I'll probably have to give it some heavy consideration and seek out a gd deg course that I feel I can cope with at the same time. :-|

While most may have the luxury of spending their leaves on rest & leisure , we'll have to use them for sch...that sure sounds like a greeaat way to reward ourselves with some well-deserved 'rest' after flights...lol
Last edited by Angiezz on Wed, 30 Apr 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fixyou

Post by fixyou » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 5:45 pm

hafiz, thanks for the replies :)

angiezz, how old are you? did u just graduated from poly? so u alr signed the 22 mths bond or something?
and will only consider taking up the degree after the bond?
yar, i am also in the same dilemma as u i supposed.
i wouldnt know the demand of flight attendants two yrs later and am skeptical abt it. for i know i will want to be with SIA for once in my lifetime. its either now or 2 yrs later (if i were to give up the chance now that is).
be my escapade.

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hafiz_ » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 6:02 pm

hello angiezz, my course in SIM is such that there are only lectures and no tutorials. neither are there any mid-term tests or stuff like that. the exams will be once a year in may. i'm considering spreading out my last few modules into 2 years to make it more bearable for me. as to when my training begins, i'm not very sure. but i told them that i can start after the 4th of next month. but hey thanks for that very thoughtful bit there! :)

Angiezz

Post by Angiezz » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 6:31 pm

Fixyou, am currently 23. Now serving the last wk of my notice at my current workplace and will only be signing the bond come fri while training begins monday.

I have decided on it for now hence the only reconsideration left will be whether or not to take up a part-time deg while working or to put studying on hold till much later. Tho I'm yearning to further studies, I'll really have to find a suitable course first.

How abt yourself, what age are you and have you gone for the interviews yet?
My first thought was to just it out since my friend was also gonna, if I ever do make it through I can still decide whether or not to take it up.
Well, I kinda couldn't bear to reject it coz I know the opportunity may not come knocking twice...hehehe

You have till May 25th to decide and even then, you can always give the interview a go and make further decisions should you be given the option to take up the job.
It won't be too late to decide by then and even if you don't take it up, there can always be a gleeful pleasure in knowing you were qualified to be a cabin crew but chose to turn down the job offer to persue a higher education. :wink:

Hafiz, how often in a wk are your lectures and are they 7-10pm or during the day?
So you'll be converting to a part-time course once you start training, or only when the 3rd yr of studies begin?

Yes spreading it out sure sounds wise. Are you taking a course from UOL, and does SIM offer many of such Lectures-only-Exams-once-a-year courses?

You mentioned starting 4th of next mth, meaning 4th may or actually 4th jun after your exams?
If it's 4th may, that's a day before I start the training...lol
Anyway, your exams are upcoming since it's may, so all the best for them!

hafiz_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hafiz_ » Wed, 30 Apr 2008 7:05 pm

angiezz, my bad. i meant to say 4th of june. haha. yep, i'm doing a deg from UOL. other degrees conferred by the other universities like RMIT are the normal ones with lectures, tutorials and bi-yearly exams. the new academic year starts in sept so when i start my 3rd year as a part-time will depend if my training will commence in june or later. and thanks for the well wishes! i'm so excited i can barely get myself to study. haha.

Cost19

Post by Cost19 » Thu, 01 May 2008 1:22 am

llentimes, i cant PM yet leh. If you dun mind, PM me ur msn can? I want to know more about the 1-1 coaching thing. Thanks a lot

PeterPan07

Post by PeterPan07 » Thu, 01 May 2008 1:45 am

hi hafiz, jus curious. hw did u infd them that u r gg to juggle work n sch at the same times?

wini

Post by wini » Thu, 01 May 2008 8:16 am

Hi everyone... First of all congrats to those who made it...

I went to the last interview and I was booted out during the kebaya round... and was wondering what really went wrong? if its because of my teeth ( coz i have crooked teeth) then i dun think so coz there is this another lady whom have crooked teeth got into 3rd round.. if its beause of my complexion ... then is this another lady who have blemishes (which is visible got into 3rd round) seriously i dunno...

I just hope i be able to make it thru all the next time round....