Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
To BECKY

Post by To BECKY » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 9:07 am

becky wrote:
To BECKY wrote:Hi Becky, after the group discussion on the 2nd day, when will you know whether you have been selected? Will there be any 3rd day of interview after that? Thanks for sharing!
Well, you'll know on that day itself if you're being selected for third round because..........after group discussion(all 4 groups done), they will ask you to wait outside while they discusss bout it inside the hall. Then bout 40 minutes later, they will ask you to enter the hall, they will say their goodbyes first and then read out loud the numbers(sticker with number and name on it). Those numbers which were not metioned, failed to enter round 3.
Hi, then approx when will round 3 be conducted??? I'll be leaving for a 2 weeks vacation 6 days after the 1st interview. I'm worried my efforts for 1st and 2nd round may be wasted because of my inability to attend the 3rd interview during my absence in Singapore. Pls advise if you are aware. Thank you so so much!

doubt

Re: Not an SQ Girl, no Worries!

Post by doubt » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:23 am

Rewarded wrote:Hello Girls...

Just to share my life with you guys...

My cousin & I are the same age, 26 this year.

6 years ago, we graduated together from Singapore Polytechnic with the same Diploma. We both started working.

My cousin choose to be an SIA Stewardess, whereas I choose otherwise. I choose to work as an office girl in a company, doing some secretarial work to gain experience and to study part-time, for a Private Scretarial Diploma, a 1 year program.

After my PSD, i went to further my studies for a degree, Degree in Business Adminstration, Part time too, a 2 years program.

I spend 3 years, working as a Secretary and studying part time.

Time flies, 6 years down the road.....

I got my degree, and am working in a MNC Company as an Executive Secretary to the CEO, fetching $3,300.00 per month, and I am shortlisted for the promotion to the Assistant Manager, after the current one has been promoted to Manager. Am really happy.

My cousin, on the other hand, had flew for 6 years, she received her lump sum of money last year form completing 5 years with SIA. She is tired and thinking of getting a on ground job... she found a few recently, receptionist with $1200/month, junior secretary with $1500/month, and one more which is a Personal Assistant with $1600/month.

Look at the differences between us.... This cousin of mine used to chill at me when I did not made it to SIA when we applied together 6 years ago.. Because of my hegith problem, I am 156cm, whereas she is 4 cm taller than me. Just lucky to get in by the second try. I tried 5 times and I gave up.

Dont get the wrong idea that I am trying to show off, but I am just trying to tell you people that, choosing the right path at the right age is very important. For those whose interest is to become an Air Stewardess, go ahead to try and be one. However if your interest fails you, dont be discouraged, and hang around there, wasting time, thinking why SIA do not want you.... find interest in other areas... start to climb the career stairs in any area...

I am happy with my career status today. I am not saying that my cousin wont be able to make it, she will one day I believe, but what i can say is... though my career is not yet at peak, but i am already climbling up.... whereas she is just starting to learn to climb....

I feel satisfied being so far ahead of her.
hello, 'rewarded'
am interested in your post, because it some kind of fit into my present situation. I'm working as and admin asst/ secretary/ PA, and only fetching 1.5K. I've have been interested to join SQ but was not selected during my 1st try, though I've been contemplating whether to try again (i've been 'scarred' ever since the rejection). Yes! the temptation is there with the high pay of cabin crew & the opportunity to travel around the world. Having spend 1 yr doing office job, i'm kind of bored with the lifestyle. and secretary/ personal asst job to me is like, so boring; clearing the 'shit' work etc.... am getting weary in this job. Maybe i should try to upgrade my skills like yours, or should i try for SQ again?... am worried of the future of a CC, it doesn't give me a sense of security, on the other hand, am not satisfied with the pay of the current job.... so troublesome.. Anyone in this kind of situation too?

Post by Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:25 am

6 years ago, we graduated together from Singapore Polytechnic with the same Diploma. We both started working.

My cousin choose to be an SIA Stewardess, whereas I choose otherwise. I choose to work as an office girl in a company, doing some secretarial work to gain experience and to study part-time, for a Private Scretarial Diploma, a 1 year program.

After my PSD, i went to further my studies for a degree, Degree in Business Adminstration, Part time too, a 2 years program.

I got my degree, and am working in a MNC Company as an Executive Secretary to the CEO, fetching $3,300.00 per month, and I am shortlisted for the promotion to the Assistant Manager, after the current one has been promoted to Manager. Am really happy.

My cousin, on the other hand, had flew for 6 years, she received her lump sum of money last year form completing 5 years with SIA. She is tired and thinking of getting a on ground job... she found a few recently, receptionist with $1200/month, junior secretary with $1500/month, and one more which is a Personal Assistant with $1600/month.

Look at the differences between us.... This cousin of mine used to chill at me when I did not made it to SIA when we applied together 6 years ago.. Because of my hegith problem, I am 156cm, whereas she is 4 cm taller than me. Just lucky to get in by the second try. I tried 5 times and I gave up.

Dont get the wrong idea that I am trying to show off, but I am just trying to tell you people that, choosing the right path at the right age is very important. For those whose interest is to become an Air Stewardess, go ahead to try and be one. However if your interest fails you, dont be discouraged, and hang around there, wasting time, thinking why SIA do not want you.... find interest in other areas... start to climb the career stairs in any area...

I am happy with my career status today. I am not saying that my cousin wont be able to make it, she will one day I believe, but what i can say is... though my career is not yet at peak, but i am already climbling up.... whereas she is just starting to learn to climb....

*snort* sour grapes..

Post by Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 2:57 pm

Hi there

I dun think they are sour grapes... It's just what you make out of your life... You have to find solutions to every circumstance...

I am 30 years old this year, I completed my Diploma in BA from SP in 96. I worked in a bank for awhile then did some marketing job for a recording company, then I went into sales namely new car sales... Was doing well in new car sales, making avg $5k a mth. While my other poly mates were earning $2k plus, I have already gotten my gold cards, cars etc... But when my company downsized in 2002, I had to go as I was not performing as well as compared to the previous year... I was devastated... I was down, luckily I still had some savings from my good old days... I didn't work for about year cos was constantly looking for car sales job with a main distributor but to no avail... Then I got a job with a dealer but I was not making as well as my hay days so I left after awhile...

Today I am woking in the banking industry and feel like trying out a cabin crew job... but I have so many considerations... what I am suppose to do after flying for 3 years, I will be 33 by then... Should I just stay on in my current job and hope to be promoted by 33 years old... Where will I be better off????

I guess it will be good to think over what you want to have and where you want to be in ilfe while you are still young... I really regretted not joining to be a cabincrew when I was younger... It will be a good stepping stone to your future... In fact, many cabincrew will be in car sales, insurance sales, property sales etc after leaving their jobs... For me, it's the reverse, I hope to be a cabincrew after leaving car sales...

just a guest

Post by just a guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 4:23 pm

Indeed, I do agree that we should reconsider before we wanna start on with something eg. cabin crew. Coz time is wht we can't afford to loose when we are older. It's significant that we need to think wisely before we wanna start on something. Of course it is provided for anyone who will be selected to become cabin crew.
For an example, my colleague's sister complete her degree in accountancy in aussie and got her CPA few years ago, but then after two years working in corporate, she decided to join SQ as a cabin crew. She now has been working happily in SQ with a high pay and besides have more opportunity to travel around the world and more time chilling with friends. Of course, some people might said she is silly enough as she is a profesional with a quite good pay and will have a bright carrer in her future lifes. But in the end she choose to become a cabin crew. Everyone was wondering y is she that stupid, but she never regreat of making such a decision as she choose to have a change in her life while she's still young, although she start working as a cabin crew when she was 26. Although she did admit that it is never be an easy job to work in airline industry as there is a lot tough work and services will need to be done.Nevertheless, being a cabin crew will definitely be a very good experience that she ever have in her life.
What i wanna say is in the end of the day you, yourself will only be the one will know wht you really want for your life. Therefore, start planning now and don't give up trying of applying cabin crew in any airline company or SQ when you are young. Otherwise, you will definitely regreat in the future. Of course, it is doubtless that in the other side of ourself will somehow pull the dream back to become a cabin crew coz we will keep on worrying wht kinda future we will have after completing the bond or contracts. But please remind yourself that, you will be earning big bucks of being cabin crew and you will be having savings to start up a business or to continue study to persue a degree or etc. So, please have a right attitude and right planning for yourself.

Good luck to everyone!!

Cheers

Yee Ping

Post by Yee Ping » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:10 am

Anonymous wrote:

*snort* sour grapes..
Hey guest, she is so successful now and making much more money than "retired" cabin crews.. Do u think she need to be sour grapes?

Ha... Silly, think before u say anything....

Idealist

Post by Idealist » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:16 pm

Yee Ping wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

*snort* sour grapes..
Hey guest, she is so successful now and making much more money than "retired" cabin crews.. Do u think she need to be sour grapes?

I dun think she meant it in a bad or "sour grapes" way as you put it. We can look at a glass half full or half empty. I think her main point in sharing her life story is to show that life doesn't stop when you are not successful in becoming a cabin crew. There are other paths that you can pursue where you'll be even more successful possibly. (Bear in mind that the writer actually tried 5 times but to no avail! A case of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.) Sometimes, life has its ways of throwing curveballs cos' maybe you are not destined to become a CC for a reason (only known to GOD). Having said that, those who aspire to be one, should try because you'll never know if you don't.

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:52 pm

Idealist wrote:
Yee Ping wrote:
Anonymous wrote: *snort* sour grapes..

I dun think she meant it in a bad or "sour grapes" way as you put it. We can look at a glass half full or half empty. I think her main point in sharing her life story is to show that life doesn't stop when you are not successful in becoming a cabin crew. There are other paths that you can pursue where you'll be even more successful possibly. (Bear in mind that the writer actually tried 5 times but to no avail! A case of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.) Sometimes, life has its ways of throwing curveballs because' maybe you are not destined to become a CC for a reason (only known to GOD). Having said that, those who aspire to be one, should try because you'll never know if you don't.
ya, i dun think she's trying to be bad or sour grapes. perhaps juz wanna share her exp. i agreed, we should try something we like while we are young (no burden so noting to lose) & while we can.

good luck to those aspiring cabin crews! :girl:

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 1:57 pm

Hey,

SIA will be conducting recruitment exercise for Malaysian flight stewards/ stewardesses soon! Wonder if locals can apply...

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c ... n_crew.jsp

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 2:42 pm

raindrops wrote:Hey,

SIA will be conducting recruitment exercise for Malaysian flight stewards/ stewardesses soon! Wonder if locals can apply...

If you measure up to our requirements and are interested to apply, please download this application form complete it, and email it along with a covering letter and a recent full-length photograph of yourself to: [email protected] by 2 July 2005.

the application is closed long long time ago...

Rong

Post by Rong » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:
raindrops wrote:Hey,

If you measure up to our requirements and are interested to apply, please download this application form complete it, and email it along with a covering letter and a recent full-length photograph of yourself to: [email protected] by 2 July 2005.

the application is closed long long time ago...
yup! the application for malaysian cabin crew ended quite a while ago... and i dun think the SIA will recruit anymore cabin crew this year...

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 4:04 pm

Gals,
SQ is conducting intervirew in KL on 11 September..So guess need to wait for next recruitment. :wink:

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 9:26 pm

The person who wrote this was not having sour grapes... but she did make sense... and i agree w her! There are many more things in life awaiting u even if u cant be a cabin crew!!
As fer her story abt her ex-SQ fren.. i tink that things like that happen everiwhere... Its the ger's prob, thinking that she can retire or maintain a comfortable life in SQ... She shd have plan fer her future when she was in SQ... same for ani other person.... Everione shd upgrade herself no matter hw comfortable she is in her present employment... I have seen hw some SQ gers got a degree during their eomplyment and after leaving SQ, become successful.... earning as much as when they were in SQ...

So grs, no matter where u are, u muz alws upgrade and improve yurself!!

Guest SIA

SIA Cabin Crew

Post by Guest SIA » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 2:10 am

I've been for the SIA recruitment and got through the first round and also through the 2nd round and now am a flight steward. For the Ladies, it's kind of difficult getting in because the number of ladies applying is saturating. So, the management has to scrutinise the applicants in terms of height, capability, education qualifications, grooming standards, etc. So, you should develop more on these. This crew job IS a profession as under the job occupation, you're considered a professional. You can work in SIA as a cabin crew for as long as 20 years. After that, maybe as a Cabin crew Management team who flies but checks on the flight attendants instead. So, you are still flying and get paid but in a more higher post. Cabin Crew job is highly valued when entering other professions like nursing, physiotherapy, and other hospitality-related courses. Don't be disheartened ladies. Try to go for any interviews, grab as many as u can. Be it JAL, EK, SIA, or SilkAir, just go for the interview to have a feel of it so as to feel confident. All the best to you ladies and also to all the guys out there, it's Really a High-Flying Job guys, the ladies are Wif you....haha...;)

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 8:49 am

Yee Ping wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

*snort* sour grapes..

Silly? Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.. nobody's slamming you for calling ppl "silly".. get wat i mean?