Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
CabinCrewKristine

Post by CabinCrewKristine » Sat, 01 May 2010 11:15 pm

zorenna wrote:If I am attending this upcoming interview, it will be my cummulative 15th? airline interview.

It's discouraging as hell, and my dream feels further and further away as age is catching up with me.

I guess I just don't "have what it takes"...
Well, sometimes you just have too see what went wrong if you have been trying so many times and getting the same results.

Despite the setbacks, you can always go for other airline position other than a crew, for example, applying for a management position if you want.

I personally feel that all stand equal chance as long as you are not that bad in terms of looks. You just have to know what to say, how to present yourself. =)

If you are going for this coming Interview, I wish you all the best. and hopefully, you can make it through ^^

Love,
kristine
Tons of Cabin Crew Tips - http://siacabincrew.wordpress.com

Tallevous?

Post by Tallevous? » Sun, 02 May 2010 11:18 am

Hi Kristine,

May i ask you that whetehr SIA willing to hire those girls around 28/29 years old?

Thank you. :D

YrreP

Post by YrreP » Sun, 02 May 2010 9:54 pm

got booted out 4 times in the 1st round.. now thinking whether to try the 5th time.. i heard they dont want ppl that failed too many times.. is it true??

farhanjunior

Post by farhanjunior » Mon, 03 May 2010 10:44 pm

YrreP wrote:got booted out 4 times in the 1st round.. now thinking whether to try the 5th time.. i heard they dont want ppl that failed too many times.. is it true??
Do not just think whether to try again or not. Have confidence in yourself. I believe they would want ppl who never gives up and are sincere in attempting the interview. Go for it!

ckrocks

Post by ckrocks » Mon, 03 May 2010 10:57 pm

Tallevous? wrote:Hi Kristine,

May i ask you that whetehr SIA willing to hire those girls around 28/29 years old?

very subjective. but i do see ppl ard those age joining.. i have a female 29 yr old batchmate! it all boils down to the person itself whether he or she has the main attributes in the eyes of SIA crew..

Tallevous?

Post by Tallevous? » Tue, 04 May 2010 10:41 am

Hi Ckrocks,

Thanks for the reply. My girl friend is so excited on this coming recruitment. She has been waiting for this opportunity for long since she is just back from overseas. She is 29 years old.

I will encourage her to go for the interview than. :)

Ckrocks, may i know is it true that all the SIA HR who do the interview are very young?

kevinlee

Want to be an airline pilot

Post by kevinlee » Tue, 04 May 2010 11:14 am

Hi All.

I am currently a malaysian citizen with Australian PR. I work in the medical industry.

I am 33, single and always have been a dream of mine that one day I can become a commercial airline pilot.

Can anyone help me for some advice on the following.
To be fully qualified as an airline pilot.

1. How much would the course cost; duration of the course and where are the best place to apply.
2. Average entry salary for a trainee airline pilot
3. Does SIA employ pilots with commercial qualification from other parts of SE Asia. I believe the course can be expensive and there maybe some cheaper alternative in flying courses.
4. Competitiveness and demands in the industry.

That's all I need for now to get started.

cheers
KLEE

maine21

Post by maine21 » Tue, 04 May 2010 11:53 am

ckrocks wrote:
Tallevous? wrote:Hi Kristine,

very subjective. but i do see ppl ard those age joining.. i have a female 29 yr old batchmate! it all boils down to the person itself whether he or she has the main attributes in the eyes of SIA crew..
Hi ckrocks
Does your batchgirl has airlines exp? I learnt from my cousin who is flying that she has a batchmate who is 29years however she was previously from Qatar.. is it true that SIA only hires older ladies but armed with airlines exp?
Am 26 this year & this is my 3rd time trying.. I am just wondering if they are unlikely to hire gals at this age.
Kindly advise. THanks muchie!

Mugen

Post by Mugen » Tue, 04 May 2010 4:01 pm

What if the applicants don't have a printer at home? Is there any hardcopy available at the point of interview room? Need to clarify but not sure where to ask.

candiesboy
Regular
Regular

Post by candiesboy » Tue, 04 May 2010 8:21 pm

Mugen wrote:What if the applicants don't have a printer at home? Is there any hardcopy available at the point of interview room? Need to clarify but not sure where to ask.
Well you can always go to a shop where there are computers and printers available? I think most people does that :) Its show ur sincerity :)

Shirini

Re: Want to be an airline pilot

Post by Shirini » Tue, 04 May 2010 10:40 pm

kevinlee wrote:Hi All.

I am currently a malaysian citizen with Australian PR. I work in the medical industry.

I am 33, single and always have been a dream of mine that one day I can become a commercial airline pilot.

Can anyone help me for some advice on the following.
To be fully qualified as an airline pilot.

1. How much would the course cost; duration of the course and where are the best place to apply.
2. Average entry salary for a trainee airline pilot
3. Does SIA employ pilots with commercial qualification from other parts of SE Asia. I believe the course can be expensive and there maybe some cheaper alternative in flying courses.
4. Competitiveness and demands in the industry.

That's all I need for now to get started.

cheers
Hi,

Do you have any flying experience before?
If you were chosen to become a cadet pilot, SIA will train you for free at their Singapore Flying College but there will be a bond for it. The duration of the course will take around 3 years, if you are lucky, the duration may be shorter. The first part of the training will be conducted in Singapore and then you will move on to Perth and Brisbane for further training, mainly in the practical flying lessons. After you have successfully completed all the flying training and simulations plus a few observation flights and etc , you will become a Second Officer. The entry salary for Second Officers will be quite low, I am not really sure of the amount but I think it will be around 2k or less, not too sure about this and most people have to fly around 1 and a half years(depending on performance and situation)before they can become First Officer.

The salary during the cadet pilot period is not significant, just enough to cover your daily expenses, it will be around 1K per month.

If you hold a valid commercial pilot license, you can skip the training in Singapore and Perth and head on straight to Brisbane, which is the last part of flying training but you will be having more simulations when you are back in Singapore.

For the best place to apply for the position, you can look up SIA website for their cadet pilot position. Lastly, if you were chosen, you may be asked to join Singapore Airlines main fleet/Cargo/Silkair.

Good Luck!

ckrocks

Post by ckrocks » Tue, 04 May 2010 10:44 pm

Tallevous? wrote:Hi Ckrocks,

Thanks for the reply. My girl friend is so excited on this coming recruitment. She has been waiting for this opportunity for long since she is just back from overseas. She is 29 years old.

Ckrocks, may i know is it true that all the SIA HR who do the interview are very young?
Prolly they just look young....the interviewers for the 1st 2-3 rds are probably ex-crews who got promoted and work in the offices now.. eventually u will face the managment level interview.. which can come from ANY DEPARTMENT in the cabin crew division..

i personally got my last rd interviewed by 2 senior vise president in 2 separate departments in the cabin crew division..

CabinCrewKristine

Post by CabinCrewKristine » Tue, 04 May 2010 11:32 pm

ckrocks wrote:
Tallevous? wrote:Hi Ckrocks,

Prolly they just look young....the interviewers for the 1st 2-3 rds are probably ex-crews who got promoted and work in the offices now.. eventually u will face the managment level interview.. which can come from ANY DEPARTMENT in the cabin crew division..

i personally got my last rd interviewed by 2 senior vise president in 2 separate departments in the cabin crew division..
The interviewers are CC executives, that is why they look young. You can apply to be a CC executive as long as you hold a degree. Its a separate interview though.

As for exp wise, nope, even at 29, you don't necessary need to have exp in aviation to pass the interview. It all boils down to attitude, personaility and presentation.

So yes.. go try for it if you really want it ^^
Tons of Cabin Crew Tips - http://siacabincrew.wordpress.com

Mugen

Post by Mugen » Wed, 05 May 2010 9:51 am

candiesboy wrote:
Mugen wrote:What if the applicants don't have a printer at home? Is there any hardcopy available at the point of interview room? Need to clarify but not sure where to ask.
Well you can always go to a shop where there are computers and printers available? I think most people does that :) Its show ur sincerity :)
Which are the shop providing this kind of service? If it is an internet cafe, they do have computers but they don't provide printing services, if it is those photo shop, they only allow to print photos from camera or other capture devices. Please advise on the shop which you have mention. Thanks

amandababy
Regular
Regular

Post by amandababy » Wed, 05 May 2010 11:44 am

Mugen wrote: Which are the shop providing this kind of service? If it is an internet cafe, they do have computers but they don't provide printing services, if it is those photo shop, they only allow to print photos from camera or other capture devices. Please advise on the shop which you have mention. Thanks
There are so many printing shops around singapore. You can go to Sunshine Plaza at middle road.