Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
black-rose

Post by black-rose » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 3:42 pm

I asked my friend who is a SQ cabin crew and she said there's no such things as well.
from what I know, it's still possible to get in with 5 o level credits?
oh! my friend who went for the interview just called me last night to tell me all abt it! :) it's actually an internship with smu. she wanted to enroll in SMU for a diploma and advanced diploma. it's an internship in customer management business, if Im not wrong. but she said it's an internship. :)

initially, she'd wanted to apply for the hotel management line. but after the first interview with one of the people in the company(the one handling internship), they decided to put her in aviation line instead. the company said that nobody can choose, it will be decided by them. and they told her that only 5 out of 100 who applied for the internship, actually get into aviation line.
so in other words, the thought of being in aviation line didnt cross her mind at all.

but she said, she just went for it, to see how it goes. the interview she went was with the company. but she said it's related to SIA and Emirates. they have a 4 years contract, till she's done with her studies. the interview she had(the one with panel of judges) was actually the second one. they told her to try the kebaya as well and asked her lots of questions too. apparently she said that they really drilled those interviewees.

she was supposed to go fer the third one yesterday, with the HR but she decided not to as she wasnt that all interested in being a cabin crew.

and she said if she went ahead and got in, she can only fly in two years time as they need her to complete her diploma first.
well, Im still kind of confused but I guess there are such internship? Im sorry, I dont mean to confuse anyone either but it's rather difficult to explain. the interview she went was at changi and she said that there were lots of people waiting to be interviewed as well.
I dont want to create misunderstandings or anything as Im not saying that everything of this is true too.

anyone knows of such things? :)

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 8:34 pm

There is a cadet scheme in the Cabin Crew Division where one need to fly for 2 years and go thru the 4 ranks, 6 months each. After that they will be posted to the various department within the Division. Could be Accounting,Safety,Service,Welfare,marketing.......etc. The one your friend applied for could be this, but usually they take in graduate.

konishiazumi

Hi!

Post by konishiazumi » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 8:14 am

Hi everyone, i'm new here. Pardon me but i'm just wondering... if they do care about what dip you grad from? I got a private dip in economics, rather irrelevant so i was wondering if tt will reduce the chances of passing the interviews for Cabin Crew?

Thanks for taking time to answer my question :D
Watch FREE Streaming Anime Online! - http://www.animeflavour.com

humanrights

Post by humanrights » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 3:19 pm

black-rose wrote:I asked my friend who is a SQ cabin crew and she said there's no such things as well.
from what I know, it's still possible to get in with 5 o level credits?
oh! my friend who went for the interview just called me last night to tell me all abt it! :) it's actually an internship with smu. she wanted to enroll in SMU for a diploma and advanced diploma. it's an internship in customer management business, if Im not wrong. but she said it's an internship. :)

initially, she'd wanted to apply for the hotel management line. but after the first interview with one of the people in the company(the one handling internship), they decided to put her in aviation line instead. the company said that nobody can choose, it will be decided by them. and they told her that only 5 out of 100 who applied for the internship, actually get into aviation line.
so in other words, the thought of being in aviation line didnt cross her mind at all.

but she said, she just went for it, to see how it goes. the interview she went was with the company. but she said it's related to SIA and Emirates. they have a 4 years contract, till she's done with her studies. the interview she had(the one with panel of judges) was actually the second one. they told her to try the kebaya as well and asked her lots of questions too. apparently she said that they really drilled those interviewees.

she was supposed to go fer the third one yesterday, with the HR but she decided not to as she wasnt that all interested in being a cabin crew.

and she said if she went ahead and got in, she can only fly in two years time as they need her to complete her diploma first.
well, Im still kind of confused but I guess there are such internship? Im sorry, I dont mean to confuse anyone either but it's rather difficult to explain. the interview she went was at changi and she said that there were lots of people waiting to be interviewed as well.
I dont want to create misunderstandings or anything as Im not saying that everything of this is true too.

anyone knows of such things? :)
Blackrose, I'm able to understand what u're trying to explain here. Thanks for making the effort to explain for us ! (:

I am wondering if the batch on 17 Jan interview recruits are still onhold ? Or started their training already?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 4:19 pm

Plavt wrote:
Abercrombie wrote: Could be tomorrow
Bit optimistic Abercrombie, the economy isn't likely to pick up until 2010 and even then very slowly. :o
With the swine-flu epidemic now sweeping the world airlines will be lucky to make it through the year . . . can't see a lot of recruiting at the moment.
One in the hand is worth two of something

deja

Post by deja » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 5:39 am

Abercrombie wrote:There is a cadet scheme in the Cabin Crew Division where one need to fly for 2 years and go thru the 4 ranks, 6 months each. After that they will be posted to the various department within the Division. Could be Accounting,Safety,Service,Welfare,marketing.......etc.
I checked through the site and couldn't locate relevant information regarding of the scheme that you mentioned. Would you mind to provide more info about it or direct me to the corresponding site? (: TIA!

JadeiteJade
Chatter
Chatter

Post by JadeiteJade » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:05 am

aloyscious wrote:its for returning crew or perhaps if she is not from any crew background, she has gone through the first few stages already..my friends also had the same case...tehre is no recommendation in SQ :lol:

FYI,there is recommendation in SQ. If you feel there you have a friend that is suitable to be a CC, you can actually write in to HR and to recommend your friend.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 3:52 pm

deja wrote: I checked through the site and couldn't locate relevant information regarding of the scheme that you mentioned. Would you mind to provide more info about it or direct me to the corresponding site? (: TIA!
I have never seen any advertisement for that position before, maybe they go thru the employment agency. I have met crew on that scheme before but never occur to me to ask them how they applied for it :wink: There is only a very small number of them, will ask them if I get to meet them :wink:

Girashley

Post by Girashley » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 9:12 pm

I had nv heard of the recommendation before for CC...Izzit just started or had been around for a long time?My friend working in SQ does not seem to know it. Btw what should one do if she/he got someone to recommend?

JadeiteJade wrote:
aloyscious wrote:its for returning crew or perhaps if she is not from any crew background, she has gone through the first few stages already..my friends also had the same case...tehre is no recommendation in SQ :lol:

FYI,there is recommendation in SQ. If you feel there you have a friend that is suitable to be a CC, you can actually write in to HR and to recommend your friend.

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:13 pm

Its done last year when SIA is very short of crew, I saw it before too but can't find it now :( maybe they had removed it as there is no recruitment now.

You can visit www.singaporeair.com/careers for more details.
For more information, please e-mail [email protected]

Whether you are being recommended or write in you still have to go through the same process, no short cut.

black-rose

Post by black-rose » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:24 pm

thank you fer your understanding, humanrights. :)
btw my friend told me that her friend who got thru the interviews on 13thJanuary(the one at STC), is gonna start her training next month. so I guess it's about the same fer the ones who went on 17thJanuary?

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:25 pm

Ooo..SIA announced on shorter working month..One day COMPULSORY LEAVE NO PAY LEAVE.....finally its realized!

One Day No pay doesnt do much losses to pilots anyway....

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Re: Hi

Post by jencrs » Fri, 01 May 2009 12:39 am

calvink wrote:Ooo..SIA announced on shorter working month..One day COMPULSORY LEAVE NO PAY LEAVE.....finally its realized!

One Day No pay doesnt do much losses to pilots anyway....
The deal between pilots and SIA hasn't been finalised yet. But it will happen soon.

Don't forget, this 1 day is IN ADDITION to the reduction in flights, which already meant less allowances. So in effect the salary is cut twice. And all these cuts add up to a substantial amount.

Lastly, the ground staff and management can substitute their CNPL with annual leave, so in effect not take any pay cut at all. However, the pilots cannot. That's in the previous article regarding this issue.

So please don't go around saying there isn't much loss to the pilots.

humanrights

Post by humanrights » Fri, 01 May 2009 12:51 am

black-rose wrote:thank you fer your understanding, humanrights. :)
btw my friend told me that her friend who got thru the interviews on 13thJanuary(the one at STC), is gonna start her training next month. so I guess it's about the same fer the ones who went on 17thJanuary?
glad to hear that, blackrose :) at least if this batch starts their training, means that's a possibility of another interview in the future, just the matter of when it'll be held.

anyway, i appreciate all your info from you and your friends ! :)

redhairclip

Post by redhairclip » Mon, 04 May 2009 12:55 pm

humanrights>> hi! i passed my interview on 17 Jan and have already went for medical check up but i'm still on KIV status.. :(

black-rose>> will really appreciate if you can ask your friend when her training starts.. thanks!