Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
jayina

Post by jayina » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 10:18 am

is the skin check and kerbaya fitting 2 different rounds?

Swanlake

Post by Swanlake » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 10:39 am

jayina wrote:is the skin check and kerbaya fitting 2 different rounds?
That's right jayina :) Skin check is after cert, weight and height check. Kebaya is the last check after management.

heydelilah

Post by heydelilah » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 11:41 am

im curious for much SQ pay the salary,is it high?

jayina

Post by jayina » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 12:31 pm

their basics are very low with the diploma holders getting 1.3k and degree holders getting 1.4k (correct me if i am wrong). most of the FS and FSS get their salary through allowances. You get paid $5/hr whilst serving onboard and when you reach the destination, you get allowances on a per day basis. allowances varies with the location. e.g the allowances you get from a EU flight will be alot more than the allowances you get from a HK flight.

i don't know if the above are accurate anymore, but that was what i heard long time ago.

swanlake: i don't understand why they have to split that into 2 different rounds - as if going through 1 skin check round is not nerve-wrecking enough. tsktsk.

Ck Fong

Post by Ck Fong » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 12:39 pm

basically go to try the interview with your normal self. go early or afternoon doesnt matter. Most important is to smile more during the interview.

Swanlake

Post by Swanlake » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 1:38 pm

jayina wrote:their basics are very low with the diploma holders getting 1.3k and degree holders getting 1.4k (correct me if i am wrong). most of the FS and FSS get their salary through allowances. You get paid $5/hr whilst serving onboard and when you reach the destination, you get allowances on a per day basis. allowances varies with the location. e.g the allowances you get from a EU flight will be alot more than the allowances you get from a HK flight.

i don't know if the above are accurate anymore, but that was what i heard long time ago.

swanlake: i don't understand why they have to split that into 2 different rounds - as if going through 1 skin check round is not nerve-wrecking enough. tsktsk.
Haha the rationale behind checking twice is simply because you may be wearing clothes that cover more of your skin during the initial skin check. Checking your skin during the Kebaya Round is a sure way of checking if you have tattoos or scars that may be exposed from wearing a Kebaya vs exmaple...your turtle neck sweater. Makes perfect sense to me.

Hope this helped :)

Swanlake

Post by Swanlake » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 1:46 pm

Ck Fong wrote:basically go to try the interview with your normal self. go early or afternoon doesnt matter. Most important is to smile more during the interview.
I agree!

Early or afternoon not a big deal. One can also argue that if you go early, they will be as strict as they must in that, failing people is no big deal to them considering that at the point, there are close to a thousand standing outside waiting for their chance. The supply is there for them. Fail still got more. And also, you can see in in another way: that if you were the interviewer and you failed so many people in the morning already...you may be less strict on minor faults and let more pass. Again, considering that there isn't as large a pool of people left to interview anymore. Supply now drops. Personally I know quite a few who went in the afternoon, and passed (first timers too).

frued
Regular
Regular

Post by frued » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 1:54 pm

Oh! Of course not those smoke-stained kind of yellow. Just no pearly whites :) Also, i have very dark eye circles... even after concealing some still shows... :(
Swanlake wrote:
frued wrote:Hi guys, I've been a silent reader of this forum :) I've been thinking of going for the interview since about July this year and I think i'm gonna try for the one in dec.. However, I have certain doubts.. My teeth are quite yellow :( Do they accept it? also, I'm graduating from poly next may. But my exams would end about feb.. I have a friend who graduated from SP this year may too but she graduated from her trng this july, so that means she started trng about april. So it's ok if i go for interview this dec, right?
Hello there! Welcome to our convo! Hmm...how yellow is yellow? I've a very reliable source that said too yellow (like heavy smoker types) will warrant an immediate failure upon their notice. So I hope you don't mean that kind of yellow huh..

Cheers :)

jayina

Post by jayina » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 2:08 pm

Swanlake: i understand perfectly regarding the kerbaya fitting. what i meant is why cant they hold BOTH skin check and kerbaya fitting together in a round? the last time i went, both are held together in 1 round, which i think is so much more efficient this way.

Ck Fong

Post by Ck Fong » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 2:19 pm

Swanlake wrote:
Ck Fong wrote:basically go to try the interview with your normal self. go early or afternoon doesnt matter. Most important is to smile more during the interview.
I agree!

Early or afternoon not a big deal. One can also argue that if you go early, they will be as strict as they must in that, failing people is no big deal to them considering that at the point, there are close to a thousand standing outside waiting for their chance. The supply is there for them. Fail still got more. And also, you can see in in another way: that if you were the interviewer and you failed so many people in the morning already...you may be less strict on minor faults and let more pass. Again, considering that there isn't as large a pool of people left to interview anymore. Supply now drops. Personally I know quite a few who went in the afternoon, and passed (first timers too).

Btw r u alr crew? or waiting for training?

Swanlake

Post by Swanlake » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 3:40 pm

@frued: Then don't worry :) Hardly anyone of us here got pearly white teeth as well. Relax! :D

@jayina: Haha if you think hard and smart in the shoes of the interviewers, they probably revamped it to streamline the interview process. Why? Okay spoon-feed answer for you: Think, more or less people will be passing the initial stages or later stages? Ans: More applicants at earlier stages. As you progress there will be lesser and lesser applicants. So if there is an influx of female applicants coming straight right after cert check, etc, will there now be enough Kebayas to go around? No. Some more things can be complicated when certain candidates have skin issues and the examiner have to re-check and may even have to re-validate with their superior. Eventually what will this cause? A bottleneck at that stage isn't it? For your info the Kebayas were donated by crews who were promoted to leading stewardess etc. And with hopefuls of all sizes and build, there isn't really enough fitting ones for so many people. eg Many medium size girls waiting for 3 sets of medium sized Kebayas on use. Okay this should be clear enough...

@Ck Fong: I'm neither :)

Ck Fong

Post by Ck Fong » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 3:42 pm

Swanlake wrote:@frued: Then don't worry :) Hardly anyone of us here got pearly white teeth as well. Relax! :D

@jayina: Haha if you think hard and smart in the shoes of the interviewers, they probably revamped it to streamline the interview process. Why? Okay spoon-feed answer for you: Think, more or less people will be passing the initial stages or later stages? Ans: More applicants at earlier stages. As you progress there will be lesser and lesser applicants. So if there is an influx of female applicants coming straight right after cert check, etc, will there now be enough Kebayas to go around? No. Some more things can be complicated when certain candidates have skin issues and the examiner have to re-check and may even have to re-validate with their superior. Eventually what will this cause? A bottleneck at that stage isn't it? For your info the Kebayas were donated by crews who were promoted to leading stewardess etc. And with hopefuls of all sizes and build, there isn't really enough fitting ones for so many people. eg Many medium size girls waiting for 3 sets of medium sized Kebayas on use. Okay this should be clear enough...

Oic, then u going to try this coming dec? keep trying. i tried more than 5 times

Swanlake

Post by Swanlake » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 4:36 pm

Ck Fong wrote:
Swanlake wrote:@frued: Then don't worry :) Hardly anyone of us here got pearly white teeth as well. Relax! :D

Oic, then u going to try this coming dec? keep trying. i tried more than 5 times
I haven't tried yet. You passed and just waiting for medical to clear right?

xin1993
Regular
Regular

Re: SIA cabin manual

Post by xin1993 » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 5:14 pm

[quote="frued"]Hi xin1993! You're 19 this year too? Me too! Are u a poly student?

Yep, I'm turning 19 soon. ^^ Nope, I'm studying private diploma.

Ck Fong

Post by Ck Fong » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 6:12 pm

Swanlake wrote:
Ck Fong wrote:

I haven't tried yet. You passed and just waiting for medical to clear right?
I cleared medical alr. All the best to u