Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
fashionista-lovetodress

Post by fashionista-lovetodress » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 8:53 pm

hey winnie . when did you go for your interview?

natalatte

Post by natalatte » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 8:56 pm

how do people normally ans "why do you wan to be a cabin crew?"
i know its been commonly asked but i think my ans is gonna be very very boring. but then again, i think you guys are right. they may not be looking for ans but how we carry ourselves. congrats to those who got in btw!
well.. for my case i told them i was ambitious, i wanna see a more distinctive ranking of differ color kebaya instead of just junior n senior crews like any other airline.

u would be surprise of the answers given by everyone, coz it's almost the same each everytime!! probably they are even numbed to those answers =)

good luck to you!! just smile more, remain humble yet confident!
♥ A great way to fly ♥

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 8:59 pm

derenla wrote: they may not be looking for ans but how we carry ourselves. congrats to those who got in btw!
I wish people would stop using this statement it means nothing! As somebody said earlier (sq009 I think) they are looking for answers. No need to fumble when asked questions, try to 'spider' your thoughts; when you hear the words cabin crew, think planes, passenger, danger, arguments and so on.

Before you go try writing a few things down on a notepad; I would they will nearly always ask you why you want to be cabin crew that tells whether you have really thought about the job and why you want it. There will be positives and negatives so list them as there is little doubt you will be quizzed on how you will deal with the not so pleasant side. Who enjoys cleaning toilet and being bawled at by some over-bearing passenger.

Read up on a foreign country you would most like to visit or have visited and explore as much as you can the culture, tourist facilities, famous places and maybe even the language. Remember if you speak the language of the country that will be a bonus as some crews stay on routes where there foreign language is needed a lot of the time. Remember plan in advance. Every heard the old adage: 'Those who fail to plan, plan to fail?' :wink:

roaringqueen

Post by roaringqueen » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 9:03 pm

fashionista-lovetodress wrote:hey winnie . when did you go for your interview?

hi. i went for the walk in one on 10th of Jan :)

roaringqueen

Post by roaringqueen » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 9:08 pm

natalatte wrote:
how do people normally ans "why do you wan to be a cabin crew?"
i know its been commonly asked but i think my ans is gonna be very very boring. but then again, i think you guys are right. they may not be looking for ans but how we carry ourselves. congrats to those who got in btw!
well.. for my case i told them i was ambitious, i wanna see a more distinctive ranking of differ color kebaya instead of just junior n senior crews like any other airline.

u would be surprise of the answers given by everyone, coz it's almost the same each everytime!! probably they are even numbed to those answers =)

good luck to you!! just smile more, remain humble yet confident!

actually i think as long as they like your face. and you can speak fluently.
then it wouldn't be a problem.
when they asked me why i wanna join SIA. i just told them that.
i like travelling . but never had the chance to take SQ flights.
cause i don't have that kind of money. lol!

derenla

Post by derenla » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 9:26 pm

Plavt: thanks for the advice! i think it'll help me a lot! as im not very well to do, i have yet to travel to many countries. i hope reading up helps! cos no matter what reading up is definitely diff from experiencing it first hand. and i have to admit that my experience in taking flights can be counted with 1 hand. but i will still do my best in answering the situational questions. :)

roaringqueen: woah i wouldnt dare to say that even though it was truly my opinion as well. couldnt afford to take SQ and travel around, but i really want to explore places and widen my realm of knowledge in that sense.

missSHER
Regular
Regular

Post by missSHER » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 9:27 pm

winnie, did your sister get in too? :)
happened to see her during the dec interviews.

roaringqueen

Post by roaringqueen » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:01 pm

derenla wrote:Plavt: thanks for the advice! i think it'll help me a lot! as im not very well to do, i have yet to travel to many countries. i hope reading up helps! cos no matter what reading up is definitely diff from experiencing it first hand. and i have to admit that my experience in taking flights can be counted with 1 hand. but i will still do my best in answering the situational questions. :)

roaringqueen: woah i wouldnt dare to say that even though it was truly my opinion as well. couldnt afford to take SQ and travel around, but i really want to explore places and widen my realm of knowledge in that sense.

from my experience, i think the more truthful you are.
the more they would like you.
at the first round of interview.
when i did the self intro, i just told the interviewer that i quitted poly because i had to work.
and try not to copy what other ppl said.
to stand out.
& something v important. at the first round.
look at other interviewees when they are talking.

charmaiin
Regular
Regular

Post by charmaiin » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:31 pm

I have 2 friends who got their letters of rejection mailed to their houses today.. no phone calls to tell them that they failed medical.. just a letter.

I'm still waiting for my call/letter.. no news as of now. its been a really long and torturous wait. :( Most of the people I met at the briefing have already gotten their confirmations. Oh gosh...

multitasker

Post by multitasker » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:33 pm

charmaiin.. Do share ur outcome ok... u will be fine!

pho87

Post by pho87 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:35 pm

Plavt wrote:Remember if you speak the language of the country that will be a bonus as some crews stay on routes where there foreign language is needed a lot of the time. Remember plan in advance. Every heard the old adage: 'Those who fail to plan, plan to fail?' :wink:
since i got the confirmation call, i've been looking at the routes, esp this:
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c ... uteMap.jsp

i've been learning french from my parisian friend for about a year now, and so am excited abt the prospect of putting my practise to good use through going onboard an sia plane to france / switz ! but today a friend of mine told me (she has a few sia cabin crew friends) that juniors will usually only get long haul flights in their 2nd year. :-| i wonder how true this is ?

pho87

Post by pho87 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:38 pm

charmaiin wrote:I have 2 friends who got their letters of rejection mailed to their houses today.. no phone calls to tell them that they failed medical.. just a letter.

I'm still waiting for my call/letter.. no news as of now. its been a really long and torturous wait. :( Most of the people I met at the briefing have already gotten their confirmations. Oh gosh...
charmaiin, could it be they're delaying the results because of your longer notice period? it seems in my group those who could only start in march or april haven't received any news yet while those who stated they could start immed have.

let's hope for the best, ok !!!!!

charmaiin
Regular
Regular

Post by charmaiin » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:41 pm

pho87 wrote:
charmaiin, could it be they're delaying the results because of your longer notice period? it seems in my group those who could only start in march or april haven't received any news yet while those who stated they could start immed have.

let's hope for the best, ok !!!!!
I'm hoping so as well.. cos there's another girl in my group who also starts in apr/may and havent gotten anything.. but these 2 friends of mine were also supposed to start apr/may but received their rejection letters this afternoon.

anyway pho87, pm me ur msn leh.. den we can chat (:

lingg

Post by lingg » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:49 pm

hi charmaiin, were u the one hu is in either grp 3 or 4 during e final? Im e gal in grp one n u came over to ask what were e questions we gt. Are u e one?

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:52 pm

pho87 wrote: but today a friend of mine told me (she has a few sia cabin crew friends) that juniors will usually only get long haul flights in their 2nd year. :-| i wonder how true this is ?
I wouldn't take too much notice, I know somebody who has been doing long and short since she began. Either way your time and chance will come.

You can keep your ear tuned and your French ability up at ; http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages and http://www.euronews.net (includes news in video format). Don't forget to keep up your written ability as well, quite apart from SIA it will give you an additional skill you might want to use elsewhere when you are older.