Singapore Expats

Entering Singapore on a one-way ticket

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Gingerpants

Entering Singapore on a one-way ticket

Post by Gingerpants » Wed, 02 Jun 2010 3:39 pm

Hello,

My WP is being processed but taking longer than usual as I think they have a work overload (I am Australian and there would be no plausible reason for me to be rejected to work in Sing), however I already booked my one-way ticket to Singapore, and am meant to be leaving tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know how strict it is to enter Singapore on a one-way ticket as a tourist, in the case that the MOM do not get back to me by the time it's needed?

Thank you for your help!

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Entering Singapore on a one-way ticket

Post by raden888 » Wed, 02 Jun 2010 3:42 pm

Gingerpants wrote:
(I am Australian and there would be no plausible reason for me to be rejected to work in Sing)
:???: :roll:

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Wed, 02 Jun 2010 3:48 pm

your problem will be to be accepted on board the plane

As airlines bear all the costs in case you are rejected... they are pretty touchy letting you board in the first place with a one way ticket

we are swiss ( just to point that nationality doesn't change much the problem ) and getting in Sinapore on our one way was the longest check in procedure I've ever had...

The lady at the counter wanted to see everything... our in principal approval letter first

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 02 Jun 2010 4:06 pm

My hubby came with no trouble on a one-way ticket but he had his in principle letter of approval. I didn't have my dependent pass yet, but I just bought a cheap onward ticket to Kuala Lumpur on Tiger Air. Of course there's no refund if you don't use it, but the $20 I spent on it saved a lot of headaches. Incidentally, the airline never asked to see it, but I flew with British Airways and they had a lot bigger problems to worry about at the time.

Gingerpants

Post by Gingerpants » Wed, 02 Jun 2010 4:47 pm

Sorry sorry guys - I phrased my post badly.

I didnt mean BECAUSE I was Australian I should expect no problems getting a work permit (sorry!) - what I meant was, I am Australian, and on another note - i dont have a criminal record or have been deported before from another country etc etc which is why there should be no plausible reason that i should be rejected entry.

Sorry - stressful night! :D

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Wed, 02 Jun 2010 4:51 pm

All kinds of response outcome happen at the ICA these days. Buying an onward ticket to somewhere is a good idea. Preferably not more than one month from tomorrow.

You can still buy it online today. Airasia, Tigerairways, Jetstar, etc.

Disclaimer: No guarantee it will solve your no return-ticket issue though.

All the best! :)

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Sat, 05 Jun 2010 6:56 am

I have never had problems entering Singapore on a one-way ticket with an Australian passport. Just look respectable when you come through, and not like you have been attending a 5 day rave!

The problem I found was the airlines. They used to get me to sign a waiver at the airport that I would cover the cost of them returning me to Australia if Singapore refused me entry.

My "one way" tickets were a result of buying return airfares originating in Singapore; quite a bit cheaper than buying them in Aus.

Look respectable, have a credit card or cash on you, and if they say to buy a ticket, buy a ticket! :) You should be fine! Good Luck!