Singapore Expats Forum

Application for NS Deferment pending renunciation

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 9:11 am

waz wrote:Hi MS.

You are right.

Got a reply from CMPB that it will only need to be submitted after he turns 13.

Oh well. Just will wait.

No worries waz, keep all those docs in a safe place. You can even return his SG PP to CAB , ICA to cancel it, make sure you got a reply to that effect.
When turn 13 apply EP , please make sure reason is overseas study NOT Social Visit. Of course you need to supply school enrolment to support it.
We had one forumer who apply EP but state social visit and he only got six months renewal compare to One Year 364 days if not over 2 yrs.
When the time comes for application to renounce, MINDEF thru CMPB reject their application. The boy is now 15 and so messed up.
Take care and throw a line if you are in doubt. :)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

waz
Regular
Regular

Postby waz » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 8:44 am

Thanks MS.

I was away for quite a bit. Health issue but good now.

I am just wondering, if my son turns 15, with all the exit permit etc, they will probably ask him to make an IC. I believe there is a law for that requirement. Does he do so?

(For the record, he is 10, he did not do any primary school in SG, a dual citizen now- SG & Aus, have responded to MOE query on why he did not enlist in school, and received letter about school grant etc which I am sure was not used)
I work to live and not live to work.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 8:58 am

waz wrote:Thanks MS.

I am just wondering, if my son turns 15, with all the exit permit etc, they will probably ask him to make an IC. I believe there is a law for that requirement. Does he do so?

(For the record, he is 10, he did not do any primary school in SG, a dual citizen now- SG & Aus, have responded to MOE query on why he did not enlist in school, and received letter about school grant etc which I am sure was not used)

You do not have to make IC to that effect if you inform them earlier when he turn 13 that you are renouncing his SG citizenship at 21.
For MOE they will send a letter to ask if your child is schooling as it is require by the law that they follow up and ensure that your son is schooling.
Reply that letter by fax or mail stating where he is currently schooling. That is all you have to do. Do not take the school grant , Pink IC or renew his PP after 13 if you do not want him to serve NS.

Take care and godspeed
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

waz
Regular
Regular

Postby waz » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 1:21 pm

Thank MS for the quick response.

Reason for asking about the IC thing coz I did naively make a pink IC for our DAUGHTER last year when we visited and was greeted with a letter from ICA (posted to my dad place) asking us to do so. She past her 15th b'day.

Then, I spoke to the lady at the counter about her intention to renounce her SG citizenship at 21. But was still asked to make an IC after she consulted her superior.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 4:37 pm

waz wrote:Thank MS for the quick response.

Reason for asking about the IC thing coz I did naively make a pink IC for our DAUGHTER last year when we visited and was greeted with a letter from ICA (posted to my dad place) asking us to do so. She past her 15th b'day.

Then, I spoke to the lady at the counter about her intention to renounce her SG citizenship at 21. But was still asked to make an IC after she consulted her superior.

Nah.. do not worry about it. As long as she hold dual citizenship and you already post your intention about her renouncing comes 21. This will hold water.
BTW you mean you applied your daughter the Pink IC and ICA send a letter to inform you to collect it ? Am I right ? Why in the world did you do that if you already set of renouncing her citizenship?
Do not worry about this. Hold your ground. No harm will come to your daughter

waz
Regular
Regular

Postby waz » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:51 am

Hi MS

We did not ask for it. We received a letter from ICA telling us it is a requirement for her to make an IC. Even though we told them that she intended to renounce, it was still a requirement. Not sure if we did not do it, what would be the penalty.

My son have not reached that stage yet. But will definitely ignore the notice to make the IC, if it comes.

Thx

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:16 pm

waz wrote:Hi MS

We did not ask for it. We received a letter from ICA telling us it is a requirement for her to make an IC. Even though we told them that she intended to renounce, it was still a requirement. Not sure if we did not do it, what would be the penalty.

My son have not reached that stage yet. But will definitely ignore the notice to make the IC, if it comes.

Thx

That is very strange. Unless you did not change your residential address overseas which why they thought your family are living in SG. My two boys when they are 16 and 14, did not even got a letter from ICA for the pink IC as I already stated my intention when they were 13.They are big boys now in their twenties.
Even my daughter was not asked for this when she turned 15 then.
The PP is far more valuable than the IC, I would not worry about this

waz
Regular
Regular

Postby waz » Thu, 07 Oct 2010 9:54 pm

Hi MS.

Prior to that, I had did not change my address. It was still local at my in law place. Since then, I had wrote to them that I no longer reside on the Singapore address.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 08 Oct 2010 3:01 am

waz wrote:Hi MS.

Prior to that, I had did not change my address. It was still local at my in law place. Since then, I had wrote to them that I no longer reside on the Singapore address.

Yeah , I would have thought this is the SOP for Singapore Census. No worries buddy, ignore it as you have already change to overseas address