Singapore Expats Forum

Housing question

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

HLT

Housing question

Postby HLT » Tue, 25 May 2010 2:32 am

Hi All,

I hope you can help and provide a bit of advice. I will soon be relocating to Singapore.

I will be working in District 2. What areas do you recommend living in?
How much do one bedroom apartments go for?
Some adverts say 'light cooking' or 'no cooking' - what does this mean exactly?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Mon, 31 May 2010 5:42 pm

vuongha wrote:hi
An experienced person would be of a great help to get some great cooking tips who has been giving the best cooking lessons. Tips given by person having experience of years of cooking would be far better than going through any type of books articles or the internet as These cooking tips come to them as they cook. Cooking tips are never forgotten it is a treasure a person withholds and they given to their children and grandchildren or a friend who needs help. That friend too passes on your useful tips to someone she knows and their children too. In such a way your very useful cooking tips will be passed on to generation and it will help them to serve good food which is relished by all.

Wth has this got to do with the OP's post?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect "light cooking" or "no cooking" refer to the appliances available in the kitchen. I live in a private (not HDB) condo and have a 6 burner stove and convection oven/microwave combo.
Some of my friends in HDB have only two gas burners in the countertop and no oven/microwave. Some others had to get their own electric hotplates to cook. Hope that helps. You should be able to gage housing prices on the classifieds here or on craigslist.org. You should be aware of the difference between HDB and privately owned housing...I'm new here so maybe someone else can explain it better--or you might find some better info in another thread here on this forum.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Mon, 31 May 2010 6:25 pm

It should be noted also that eating out is very cheap here. In many places you can get a decent meal for S$2 a plate. By some accounts it is cheaper than cooking at home once you factor in the cost of groceries and gas/electricity. I myself still prefer to have a full kitchen so I can cook food that reminds me of home, but if you're not an avid cook, you may get by very well with just the basic hotplate plus a toaster and a kettle.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 31 May 2010 6:40 pm

light cooking - boiling water for noodles. seriously.

eating out, that is, eating outside your home. it can be cheap, however, depending on your taste, you may or may not get tired of the food if you stick to the 2-3 SGD range. a little variety will cost you a bit (in the 4-5 SGD range in the hawker centres). personally, being able to cook is always a welcome option.

one-bedroom apartments are very rare, especially the HDBs (government housing projects which is the default accommodations for everyone in singapore). moreover, such units are usually reserved for the elderly. one-room condos are also available but they can cost twice as much.

you can find good-enough units in district 2; you could also venture further into tiong bahru, bukit merah, queenstown, commonwealth, holland to the west or eunos, aljunied, kallang to the east. you can use gothere.sg or google maps to check for commuting directions if it will help you decide. street view is available on both sites so you can get a looksie.