Singapore Expats

timing of employing a FDW

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
statesidegirl

timing of employing a FDW

Post by statesidegirl » Tue, 25 May 2010 1:28 am

Hello all,
we will be in SG as of august 1. We are not planning to fly over before then. If we would like to employ a maid/ helper, can we start the process from abroad? or do i need to complete the required course/ orientation before even starting the paperwork? if yes, then how many weeks after the orientation can i hope to have her start work?
thanks

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: timing of employing a FDW

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 25 May 2010 9:28 am

statesidegirl wrote:Hello all,
we will be in SG as of august 1. We are not planning to fly over before then. If we would like to employ a maid/ helper, can we start the process from abroad? or do i need to complete the required course/ orientation before even starting the paperwork? if yes, then how many weeks after the orientation can i hope to have her start work?
thanks
I would be inclined to advise you to come over and get all your stuff sorted first. Maids application are handle by the maid agency. It is not rocket science thing. The issue is on the maid itself.This is a human and you need to see and understand b4 taking them as a maid or helper
Whether you want someone fresh from their native country, or rejects from other employer or has experienced but command a higher pay.etc etc...
All these are issues that I personally think that you have to interview them in person thru the maid agency.
I used to have maid b4 , only after the fifth one that really meet our requirement stayed with us for 10 years as she was getting married
Wife love her so much that paid for the maid honeymoon
Be patient and scout around.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!