Singapore Expats Forum

EP application got rejected. Reason unknown.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
gaj3

EP application got rejected. Reason unknown.

Postby gaj3 » Mon, 24 May 2010 7:09 pm

Hi,

Recently my EP got rejected. Reason was not specified on the rejection letter. I work in IT industry and my new employer in Singapore is quite well-known. I have relevant years of work experience in IT, I graduated from well known university in India and salary wise I qualify for P1 status. I am not sure what could have been the reason. 4 years ago, I was refused entry in the US but after couple of years, my employer in India processed my work permit and I worked in the US on L1 visa. While filling up the questionnaire, I had to mention "yes" to the question - if any country had ever refused an entry. I gave justification also that after couple of years I was allowed to work. I am not sure if this has been the reason. My new employer has agreed to submit an appeal to justify this case. Could anyone let me know if this has ever happened to anyone in the past. If yes, what are the chances of getting EP approved after submitting the appeal ?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 24 May 2010 7:22 pm

maybe a local can do the same job you are applying? when you apply for a EP, it is not a 100% sure thing.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Sat, 29 May 2010 9:09 am

EPs for IT jobs with 5k or more salary are almost always automatically given. There aren't enough locals who can fill the gap. Period. It could be the US visa rejection.

Were you refused entry to US or was you US visa rejected? Are the 2 things same? If not you probably need to correct your application. I am speculating here. Have a thorough look at your application. And check whether you have made any mistakes

gaj3

Postby gaj3 » Mon, 31 May 2010 5:20 pm

No, Visa was approved, but the entry was rejected at the port of entry. Although after couple of years I worked in the US. Will this be considered as positive point? Please let me know.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 31 May 2010 5:55 pm

gaj3 wrote:No, Visa was approved, but the entry was rejected at the port of entry. Although after couple of years I worked in the US. Will this be considered as positive point? Please let me know.

No one really knows why you have been rejected as MOM never explains it as it always kept close to their chest. Your employer has to appeal that he needs you as a Sger cannot do the job blah blah. It does not matter if he is well known or otherwise
You have to remember although you are being offered employment by your employer, the one that holds the trump card is the Gahmen. If they feels that a Sger can do the job then sayonara.

Whether your entry to US issue can cause a problem for your employment here , maybe yes maybe no..
You just have to wait until the appeal
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 31 May 2010 10:12 pm

Just to add to the comments: I would request that your employer file an appeal. It should contain two components. The first is the skills that you possess that are hard to find in Singapore locals. The second is a complete clarification of your visa status in the US... that you did work in the US, in large capital letters.

The other issue is: what kind of IT? I direct all sorts of IT guys in the work I do. If you qualify for P1 then we all know you are making northwards of S$7000 per month which is pretty decent pay for the technical world in Singapore. The problem with most of the people I work with is not that they are lazy or stupid, it's that they won't take responsibility and make decisions... always they come to me. And, they can identify a problem but seemingly not develop the way to solve it.

As part of your appeal, focus also on problem solving skills, project management skills, the people skills that get things done. Singapore values those skills highly and I guarantee they are in short supply.

nov_born

Postby nov_born » Sun, 13 Jun 2010 1:09 pm

If your employer is pretty well known then they should be able to fight out an appeal. Dont think your visa rejection would be an issue as you already have US entry/exit stamping of a later date.

gaj3

Postby gaj3 » Sun, 13 Jun 2010 1:45 pm

I hope so. Still waiting for the appeal outcome. Any idea, how much time does it take? MOM website mentions at least three weeks.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jun 2010 2:41 pm

nov_born wrote:If your employer is pretty well known then they should be able to fight out an appeal. Dont think your visa rejection would be an issue as you already have US entry/exit stamping of a later date.

You are making a rather rash statements there. Tell you what, I'd not bet any money on it. I've been in the industry too many years here and I know better.

KittyJules76

Postby KittyJules76 » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 1:21 pm

gaj3 wrote:I hope so. Still waiting for the appeal outcome. Any idea, how much time does it take? MOM website mentions at least three weeks.

Roughly around three to five weeks.

Ryan_
Regular
Regular

Postby Ryan_ » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 1:29 pm

[quote="gaj3"]No, Visa was approved, but the entry was rejected at the port of entry. Although after couple of years I worked in the US. Will this be considered as positive point? Please let me know.[/quote]

For sure the immigration officer has a reason why you are refused to enter the USA. They should explain to you why during questioning in a holding room for hours before they will let you go home. Definitely, they will call your employer in the US and in your originating country to confirm whatever they have doubts about you but if they will sense fraud then you know already what will happen.

So when you have these records in the past, SG officers will obviously can see this during your application and they will make judgment based on the information that are available to them either to approve you or not even if you have legit papers to work in SG. Goodluck to you!

gaj3

Postby gaj3 » Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:40 am

Hi, Thank you all for your suggestions, comments. After submitting the appeal with relevant documents, my EP was approved.

Itche

EP application got rejected. Reason unknown

Postby Itche » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 7:47 pm

Hello there;

I got a similar experience, my EP application just got rejected today. The agency just increased my salary to 5,000 SGD. Would that make any difference and will my EP application will be approved because of the change in salary? I appreciate your feedback, I'm at my toes already, hopefully it will be approved.
Thanks!
Itche

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:39 pm

Normally no. MOM will see it for what it probably is. Nothing more than a cashback programme whereby you are paid 5K/mo and have to give 2K back to the employer each month. That's normally how they would see it if an application is resubmitted or appealed with a higher income after a rejection. Let's face it. They are not stupid, even though you guys would like to think so. They've see virtually every scam/trick in the book. In fact, resubmitting with a higher income in order to obtain a higher EP level will almost definitely raise some eyebrows.