Singapore Expats Forum

Should Personal Liberty Be Defended?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 24 May 2010 6:05 pm

maybe the title should be change to "Should Anneteoh Liberty Be Defended? :P

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 24 May 2010 8:06 pm

anneteoh wrote:Tell that to Lineas and please stop quoting others but come up with something more original. Curry your favour somewhere else.

:D :D :D :D

And the hits just keep coming!

Catch Ann at Catch A Rising Star this Tuesday with Jackie 'The Jokeman' Martling...

Ba-dum-tish!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 May 2010 8:19 pm

What I don't understand is how a supposedly highly intelligent person like Anneteoh can NOT understand what "racism" is.

This is beyond my simple high school brain. I've tried all the online dictionaries, my hard-bound references here in my house and for the life of me, I still see no examples of "racist" writings in these threads since geerang was banned. I watched the violent throes of integration in the US from a very close perspective, living only 14 miles from the 1st race riot in the US. I lived and worked in Washington DC during the long hot summer and I watched as a considerable portion of NE DC when up in flames. I was called up from Ft. Worth Texas and sent to Mobile when MLK was shot. I fail to see any racism here, with the exception of whatever is going on in Anneteoh's version of reality.

I would have to say, I'm becoming less and less impressed with our debater (I use the term loosely) and her so-called linguistic abilities, even though they are much greater than mine, they are rapidly starting to sound like a bad case of verbal diarrhea. The KISS method and she should get acquainted.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 24 May 2010 9:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:What I don't understand is how a supposedly highly intelligent person like Anneteoh can NOT understand what "racism" is.

This is beyond my simple high school brain. I've tried all the online dictionaries, my hard-bound references here in my house and for the life of me, I still see no examples of "racist" writings in these threads since geerang was banned. I watched the violent throes of integration in the US from a very close perspective, living only 14 miles from the 1st race riot in the US. I lived and worked in Washington DC during the long hot summer and I watched as a considerable portion of NE DC when up in flames. I was called up from Ft. Worth Texas and sent to Mobile when MLK was shot. I fail to see any racism here, with the exception of whatever is going on in Anneteoh's version of reality.

I would have to say, I'm becoming less and less impressed with our debater (I use the term loosely) and her so-called linguistic abilities, even though they are much greater than mine, they are rapidly starting to sound like a bad case of verbal diarrhea. The KISS method and she should get acquainted.

SMS, for a start , you're not talking to me but about me. How you guys love a gossip but I do hate to be the centre of your attraction.

Racism is an attitude - I have worked with different cases of racisms from all colours so I easily smell one, but some people can claim unconscious racism. Not a nice subject for these scorchingdays.

I had had a short contemplation about this forum. I suppose I'm using too much space and distracting potential buyers away from the hard core of your property business. Is this forum funded by expats' investments and the property busniess you run here?

I thought you'd be in stitches with the sitcom script. It took some thinking to get that together - for fun; but what, there's not a word of appreciation from you! There's no buffoonery in it; perhaps a parody but it's all in good fun - a comedy. I laughed over it a lot. I wouldn't have written it unless someone inspired me - and all the characters did inspire me. In fact, it might be time better spent for me to return to my cave and write a handsome script.

Only the great and benevolent can be self-deprecating, but you didn't know, did you, that I admired your down -to-earth sensibilities and strength of reasoning with some of the argumentative members of late. You have my accolade for keeping this forum alive and kicking.

I wouldn't grudge you, now that I'm getting to know you a bit better, a kiss of my aura, darling.

But I was thinking of leaving to get away from all these unpleasantries. I thought I was contributing to make this forum a space that sparkles with wit, humour and intellectual edge, that's all. I know it's human not to be able to keep up with the intensity of serious discussions zapped up here, though I don't suffer from any mental strains at all. It's not so much about me, as it's for sharing. But I've had enough of insults from that rodeoman. Fed up.
Last edited by anneteoh on Mon, 24 May 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 24 May 2010 9:32 pm

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 24 May 2010 9:46 pm

anneteoh wrote:I'm just surprised that you're a mod here or anywhere else. Gang bullying is your game, so line up your like-minded cronies. I am similarly repelled.

Say what you like - the psychology of racist bullies like you is well known today.

Your comments clearly demonstrate a troll like quality in your posts... and I will simply add that you know nothing about me.

To say that 'gang bullying' is my game is ludicrous... it only suggests that you have no actual response to the post I made concerning your own behavior.

To assert that I am a 'racist bully' is to go even farther afield, for if you knew anything about me at all, you'd know you have slandered me and my reputation.

I'm a mod here because I've demonstrated over the years that while I may be opinionated, unlike you, I've never demonstrated the need to attack.

What saddens me about you is that you do appear to have rational arguments rattling about in that head of yours... you just seem incapable of keeping to rational debate... instead, you turn to personal attack when your arguments fail you.

Have at it... my interactions with persons who disagree with me are far more complex than the rantings of a troll... and extend far beyond this board.

What's next... your next attack? You are in attack mode, don't you realize? And the question is, "why"?

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 24 May 2010 10:18 pm

ksl wrote:There is no such thing as democracy and liberties in acts of terrorism. Only national Security rules!

anneteoh
-- You have some points there but it depends on which country you're talking about. And even if you're right, I can quite beileve that, some countries have greater leniency and more time to ensure thoroughness before they take action

People need to wise up, that they have no voice, they are electorate numbers, that's all.

anneteoh
---But poeple need to be aware bwfore they put in their numbers for whaichever party they're voting for. In fact, some people's numbers couldn't even be counted as they couldn't vote after 10 p.m. that election night i the UK.

Victims of terrorism will remain victims for life. I know because I have had 10 years of active terrorism training and I am a victim of my own past. The UK have had 30 years of terrorism in its own backyard don't forget!

anneteoh
--- Gosh, what have you been up to. I suppose there wasn't a choice. Terrorism must be the hardest thing to experience on earth. Imagine all that destruction and blood on the hands. Yes, there was the Irish protest - I remember a whole building shattering; but the Irish protest did not aim to annihilate the innocents. That's one big difference.

You can bet your life that all USA soldiers that have had to deal with guerilla warfare, now understand what terrorism is all about.

anneteoh
--- I do like the Americans for their warmth and friendliness but I should not forget the amount of weaponry they use. I was personally stopped for driving across the Mexican border, just an hour or so on my return to Arizona - I missed the turning for Macdonald's and lots of cold drinks and water to keep me awake in the desert conditions. There was no problem leaving Arizona or getting in and out of Mexico - but on my return, my car was stopped by about 6 soldiers waving machine guns with chains of bullets round their bodies. They were alright when they heard my accent.

Once a policeman always a policeman, once a pro soldier always a pro soldier, once a victim always a victim....life goes on and we deal with it.

anneteoh
---- You must never think you're a victime. You'd either made a choice or you had no choice, In th final judgement, I don't even thaink conscious or unconscious choices matter - sometime, life's determined by fate. But if, it's just training and you hadn't killed anyone, you should just forget about it. However, if you'd been involved with destroying lives prematurely, you have to deeply atone for that. But now that you're never going to be a terrorist again (I gather?), you should try to forget.

National Security will always take priority in any Country over democracy!

--- In some countries, like the UK at the moment, democracy is zealously guarded. This is esp so as the UK does have international relations with most countries and the royalties are good friends with most countries. It also has a srtong civil rights system backed by many supporting groups. You'll be surprised to know how multiracial the UK is today.

--- The police would want security before democracy - as they had expressed - but the govt. has to process the details, as some clearly pointed this out in another post.In fact, of late, many of the powers e.g. right to search without warrants, right to detain, to deport etc have been curtailed. They were almost pleading to the public - how could they do their job and defend the public?

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 24 May 2010 10:25 pm

durain wrote:maybe the title should be change to "Should Anneteoh Liberty Be Defended? :P

You've got the point. Thanks for your interest.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 May 2010 10:25 pm

anneteoh wrote:
SMS, for a start , you're not talking to me but about me. How you guys love a gossip but I do hate to be the centre of your attraction.

I am aware that I was not talking to you. I cannot match your verbal linguistics so I'll not make a fool of myself trying. I was just verbalizing what I am seeing (if you have noticed I've pretty much stayed out of this). And what I am seeing is not pleasant. You start out well enough, but then you start badmouthing, insulting and just slandering those who don't agree with you or have your penchant for flowery prose. Therefore, you can say I was writing to myself and anybody who cares to read it. There are those who refuse to read my ramblings, that is their prerogative as it is yours as well, although I don't need to tell you this.

Racism is an attitude - I have worked with different cases of racisms from all colours so I easily smell one, but some people can claim unconscious racism. Not a nice subject for these scorchingdays.

I am afraid the only thing you know about real racism is what you have read in a book.

I had had a short contemplation about this forum. I suppose I'm using too much space and distracting potential buyers away from the hard core of your property business. Is this forum funded by expats' investments and the property busniess you run here?

You, seriously, attach waaaayyyy to much import to yourself.

I thought you'd be in stitches with the sitcom script. It took some thinking to get that together - for fun; but what, there's not a word of appreciation from you! There's no buffoonery in it; perhaps a parody but it's all in good fun - a comedy. I laughed over it a lot. I wouldn't have written it unless someone inspired me - and all the characters did inspire me. In fact, it might be time better spent for me to return to my cave and write a handsome script.

Sorry, but in the sitcom market, it wouldn't have made it past ratings week in the US.

Only the great and benevolent can be self-deprecating, but you didn't know, did you, that I admired your down -to-earth sensibilities and strength of reasoning with some of the argumentative members of late. You have my accolade for keeping this forum alive and kicking.

I do nothing to keep this forum alive and kicking. Frankly there are heaps here who would much rather see the backside of me as I waltz out the door. This forum has a will and dynamic of it's own. It is made up of all kinds and types of people from the well liked to the trolls who occasionally visit here. I, like the rest of the mods here, are normal bits of protoplasm and we post as such. But we are also here, only to clean up the garbage and detritus left by those who thrive on disorder and discord. But of course you know all of this as well.

I wouldn't grudge you, now that I'm getting to know you a bit better, a kiss of my aura, darling.

But I was thinking of leaving to get away from all these unpleasantries. I thought I was contributing to make this forum a space that sparkles with wit, humour and intellectual edge, that's all. I know it's human not to be able to keep up with the intensity of serious discussions zapped up here, though I don't suffer from any mental strains at all. It's not so much about me, as it's for sharing. But I've had enough of insults from that rodeoman. Fed up.

That is you prerogative.

SMS
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Mon, 24 May 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 24 May 2010 10:27 pm

anneteoh wrote:--- In some countries, like the UK at the moment, democracy is zealously guarded.

I cannot imagine a better example of the naivety of the poster than this example right here. Fundamental freedoms in the UK have been continuously eroded over that last two decades... no right of personal defense, a '1984' approach to spying upon citizens with tens of thousands of security cameras, and onerous laws that cause a defendant to be at fault for beating the sh*t out of his/her attacker.

Your position is ludicrous at best, anneteoh, for there is only now a glimmer of hope that some of the most egregious violations of democratic human rights will now be rectified.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 24 May 2010 10:56 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
anneteoh wrote:--- In some countries, like the UK at the moment, democracy is zealously guarded.

I cannot imagine a better example of the naivety of the poster than this example right here. Fundamental freedoms in the UK have been continuously eroded over that last two decades... no right of personal defense, a '1984' approach to spying upon citizens with tens of thousands of security cameras, and onerous laws that cause a defendant to be at fault for beating the sh*t out of his/her attacker.

Your position is ludicrous at best, anneteoh, for there is only now a glimmer of hope that some of the most egregious violations of democratic human rights will now be rectified.

True about the cctvs - it's also meant as protection for the victims. The law's so lenient no one really gets long term sentences. But the new gvt's stopping the increase or cutting down. much to chargrin og police who are the main users. There's no capital punishment. That defendent was cleared for self defense - thought the argument was he was past the defence position and was attacking to kill. But the level of crime's so high, I guess, most people want to be able to defend themslves and their families. They're accommodated the law to suit individual cases.
Vaucluse - the consitution is there but not rigidly fixed though it takes time and discretion of the crown magistrates to make changes.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 24 May 2010 10:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
anneteoh wrote:

I am aware that I was not talking to you. I cannot match your verbal linguistics so I'll not make a fool of myself trying. I was just verbalizing what I am seeing (if you have noticed I've pretty much stayed out of this). And what I am seeing is not pleasant. You start out well enough, but then you start badmouthing, insulting and just slandering those who don't agree with you or have your penchant for flowery prose. Therefore, you can say I was writing to myself and anybody who cares to read it. There are those who refuse to read my ramblings, that is their prerogative as it is yours as well, although I don't need to tell you this.

I am afraid the only thing you know about real racism is what you have read in a book.

You, seriously, attach waaaayyyy to much import to yourself.

Sorry, but in the sitcom market, it wouldn't have made it past ratings week in the US.

I do nothing to keep this forum alive and kicking. Frankly there are heaps here who would much rather see the backside of me as I waltz out the door. This forum has a will and dynamic of it's own. It is made up of all kinds and types of people from the well liked to the trolls who occasionally visit here. I, like the rest of the mods here, are normal bits of protoplasm and we post as such. But we are also here, only to clean up the garbage and detritus left by those who thrive on disorder and discord. But of course you know all of this as well.

That is you prerogative.

SMS

Fine. Take back all my words - zup - to the wastebin.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 25 May 2010 1:05 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

As much as i hate to agree with SE, and it really hurts me to say this, but he is right on this one! OMG! I never thought it would happen :lol: The British Law is one thing, Europe is another and for every law that Britain enforces they gain by it and the public suffer. Of course for new immigrants its the land of honey, they can live well on the handouts and its only 3 years to get a passport, though you get it quicker if you pay nicely!
The the royalty don't like the old Harrods owner I hear, so he doesn't have a chance. Not that he's really worried, he knows what goes on, like so many others do. But you my dear :roll:

The Brtish government are very shrewed, they will shaft anyone, even Bush for the right price. And have you read the latest on the Duchess of York, for 500k you can meet her ex, to open the doors in business, you will get back 10 fold. OMG!

To get any redress through Europe takes 3 to 5 years in the queue. The UK changes the fiddle to suit the fiddler :wink:

I have a very good acquaintance i met in China back in 92 he is now director of this place http://www.isdp.eu/home/contact.html you might find his books interesting.

Don't be put off by SE, he's okay, a little over bearing sometimes like myelf, but that comes with age and experience, the skin gets thicker you know :) and we keep to our opinions unless proved otherwise.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 25 May 2010 8:55 am

What a load of codswallop . . .

(That's my informed 2 cents worth)

'nuff said Image